GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and regarding disability benefits, under the DLA scheme, he would not be eligible for the higher rate of personal care, nor the mobility element (unless he fiddled it). So they wouldn't comprise more than about £180 per month from my reading of his condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are means tested and liable for tax. DLA now PIP isn't but ESA is. If you have only limited savings ESA isn't awarded either. With ESA which is at the most £110 per week, if you have a private pension or other form of income, around £80 a week or above ESA payments are affected. It is on a sliding scale and I would think that IS should not have been entitled to esa at all with his level of savings. DLA/PIP is different and the amount paid is based on level of need. The greater the disability/need the higher the amount paid. This is also questionable in I'S's case given that we now know his need isn't that great.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

He mentioned that he'd had a blue badge for disabled parking for around 19 years so if back then he had stopped worked due to his ill health and claimed back then, then it's possible he got a lifetime award with no reassessment. So he could have still been on the highlest levels even though his needs had changed. As mentioned previously all DLA claimants are being moved onto PIP so it's also possible that he'd had the letter to say he was going to be reassessed for PIP, which would probably mean a big cut in benefits when they saw him now. Having said that it looks like the most he could receive even if he got the highest amount of DLA would be around £140 a week, so only around £600 a month.

I cant see him claiming ESA and having to go to the job centre and having to give details of his savings.It might raise questions about his needs too.
https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/what-youll-get

I've always thought so. People explained it in terms of the recent death of John Sinfield, or her own blood pressure, but it still seemed surprising to me.

JS accidental death sure...but her high BP isn't huge issue - I've had pills for that for 8 years and I don't think I'm about to pop my clogs because of it. I rather think IS manipulated and suggested and insinuated etc how dependant he was on her and she felt duty bound to rush about sorting out a secure life package for him...in the unlikely given his health issues event of him dying first. And once it was all in place what further use did he have for her..... He was nicely sorted...

Death from natural causes 'extremely unlikely'

Forensic pathologist Nathaniel Cary conducted a postmortem of Helen’s body. “He said Helen was wearing no shoes.

He was able to conclude that death by natural causes was extremely unlikely.

“He found no evidence of assault, restraint, or compressive neck injury. “Serious violence was excluded as a cause of death, but he said he could not exclude interference to Helen’s airways, via smothering or compression of the neck via an arm lock.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12627822
Not sure if the press would report anything too detailed but the judge said that the body was submerged in wee and poo at a cool temperature and so less decomposed than had it been exposed to the elements. However, the eyes had rotted away :-o

Anyone willing to hazard a guess as to what IS's massive legal costs will amount to?

Going from a quick Google for seven week murder trials, I'm going to say in the region of £300K.

I must say the more we learn of him the more I cannot believe any woman let alone one like HB would meet IS - fat, NOT gorgeous by any means, odd looking I'd say, sick, dependant, long term out of work, driving a crappy old car, with piles and what have you - would give him a second look. Beggars belief really...

Anyone willing to hazard a guess as to what IS's massive legal costs will amount to?
Does anyone know if Ian Stewart qualified for legal aid? The reason I ask is the killers of Sadie Harley did and in total was in the region of £400k. :thinking:

Not sure if the press would report anything too detailed but the judge said that the body was submerged in wee and poo at a cool temperature and so less decomposed than had it been exposed to the elements. However, the eyes had rotted away :-o

I feel the Judge is wisely reminding the Jury of the horrors that were done to Helen's body after death. Her murder is bad enough - the degradations to which Ian Stewart subjected her body reveal the depths of his depravity. Hugely relevant and must not be overlooked.

Re the BMW - we don't know for sure but my bet is that Helen funded this.
Wasn't there a comment re them ( for them, read Helen) buying the BMW so that Helen had a larger car that she would feel more comfortable driving...but after a few spins round a car park , she didn't drive it any more.
At which point, IS probably took it over and ditched his battered Mondeo.

I think you're absolutely right about Helen funding the BMW. She had to part with JS's when sorting out the Company - and she would have enjoyed travelling in a BMW rather than Mondeo's man's car.
She had comfort and he HAD motoring elevation, which he would grab with glee.

Going from a quick Google for seven week murder trials, I'm going to say in the region of £300K.

I'd have guessed £250k minimum so pretty close to you.

Judge Bright has today has put forward what seems a certain direction of a guilty verdict, so I hesitate to ask this, but will tomorrow he outline the defence and leave us nervous and deflated?

I have faith in the jury so I am optimistic, but I dread hearing what the judge has to say tomorrow [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

It should put a nice dent in his nest egg, anyway.

Goodness, Batface, that's a large chunk of the 450 that he put into the house. While I feel sorry for the sons, that this will affect them financially in the long run, it's still blood money.

Does anyone know if Ian Stewart qualified for legal aid? The reason I ask is the killers of Sadie Harley did and in total was in the region of £400k. :thinking:

Not a cat's chance in hell of getting legal aid.

Just a little nugget from today...

IS was taken to the wrong prison on Friday night. He's spent the whole weekend with no meds and no change of clothes.

Judge Bright has today has put forward what seems a certain direction of a guilty verdict, so I hesitate to ask this, but will tomorrow he outline the defence and leave us nervous and deflated?

I have faith in the jury so I am optimistic, but I dread hearing what the judge has to say tomorrow [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

I don't think there is much to dread. The Judge has already disposed of some of the more disingenuous parts of the defence.

Any thoughts on why IS really made that trip to Tony Hurley a week after Helen died? He admits himself he knew she wasnt with him and the story about confiding him about the kidnappers was clearly BS. So what was the true purpose of that visit?

Was he going to play the worried fiancee who thought Tony might know where she was, in an attempt to get Tony onside for when the will came into play?

Or was he going to ask him about the will?
Just catching up. Will post shortly though nothing much to report as I can see it`s all been covered here, beautifully as usual.
May be wrong, (have a huge inferiority complex amongst all you sharp eyed sleuths lol) but didn`t he go on the pretext of "I wanted to know if Helen had accessed any funds?", or words to the effect. (As if she would rather than her bank account!) Of course, he just didn`t have the patience to wait until Tony was available to speak to him by phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94