GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it were their daughter and given it isn't possible for us to know what did actually happen. If, just if PR wasn't responsible for her death at his hand, would you really want to live out your days, imagining a painful, terrifying attack as her last moments on earth, or would you rather have the knowledge that it was a tragic accident (misadventure) .

I think this is a bit of a false dichotomy and it wouldn’t bring me any comfort either way. There’s no telling that a death as a result of rape,if it involved loss of consciousness & was quick, would be any more traumatic than stumbling about for up to two hours and ending up in moving water.

The jury deciding that there is insufficient evidence to prove murder doesn’t prove that Libby’s death was misadventure either. I think imagining the worst is going to be a cert fuelled by the knowledge that PR’s demonstrable lies have made determining what happened impossible.

Edited to add last sentence

Last edited:
Probably stuck on debating murder vs manslaughter, as they've not yet been given the option of reaching a majority verdict. Today they were still looking for a unanimous one. Perhaps that will change tomorrow, weather permitting of course.
Do you think it's possible they're debating the manslaughter charge? Maybe they're definitely decided on rape but some don't agree on a manslaughter charge, with murder having been ruled out. So most of them think rape only and only some think rape and manslaughter. Does anyone think it's possible he will be charged with rape only?

Do you think it's possible they're debating the manslaughter charge? Maybe they're definitely decided on rape but some don't agree on a manslaughter charge, with murder having been ruled out. So most of them think rape only and only some think rape and manslaughter. Does anyone think it's possible he will be charged with rape only?

I am hoping they are debating murder v manslaughter having quickly agreed guilty for the rape charge.

I believe anything is possible - we are unlikely to have the full facts for us to really know where the balance may lie.

Are we now in week 5 of the trial? What will happen if the judge has a new case and cannot be in court?

Wasn’t it scheduled to last 5 weeks? I imagine that’s what would drive the judge to accept a majority knowing that she had to be elsewhere on Monday(maybe they build in a buffer before she needs to hear her next case too?)

I've been trying to find out whether there's any official guidance on how long a jury should be left seeking a unanimous verdict, before the judge intervenes to say a majority verdict would be acceptable. It seems it's entirely up to the judge's...um, judgement - as long as the jury has been retired for at least 2 hours (!).

No court shall accept a verdict by virtue of subsection (1) or (2) above unless it appears to the court that the jury have had such period of time for deliberation as the court thinks reasonable having regard to the nature and complexity of the case; and the Crown Court shall in any event not accept such a verdict unless it appears to the court that the jury have had at least two hours for deliberation.​
Juries Act 1974 - Majority Verdicts
I suppose with the case being as serious as murder, & the evidence certainly being complex, we could be in for a long wait.

(edited to clarify link)

I can only say from other trials I have followed on here ( so not huge amounts ) that a majority verdict has usually been offered by 3rd day - today is the third full day, so here's hoping

It would be so interesting to be a fly on the wall with this jury. I wonder if their discussion reflects ours or is sticking on other points. I think, as others have said, it's probably the murder/manslaughter choice that is troubling for them, I can see why some might have difficulty with interpreting these definitions.

I think we all evolve (hopefully) here as we learn more and follow more cases. I can remember when I was a teenager/early 20s when I knew nothing about "domestic" violence I would see the husband saying, well I pushed her and she just happened to smash her skull on something sharp. Then after seeing that strangely, so many dead wives and girlfriends seemed to do this that they must have some sort of magnet in their heads that attracted them to sharp objects, it dawned on me that "this was not what was really happening here".

Like the so-called "rough sex" defence (that I think is supposed to be disallowed in the UK now?), that there are so many women that really love being thrown down stairs, strangled, body-slammed against a wall, so erotic, I know all my friends talk about how much we enjoy this....

What I'm trying to say is that I suppose there are stock lies that it is pretty safe to disbelieve because they are so self-serving and police recognise them very quickly because they have heard them so many times. And the police and prosecutors did decide to charge with murder here in Libby's case. And this is my main problem with PR that he does nothing but lie in a relentlessly self-serving way. So I have to side with police that this a very strong indicator that unless they come up with something that he cannot deny, PR - will - lie/deny.

Unfortunately in this case, unlike a lot of DV cases, where the body is usually found fairly quickly, there is medical evidence to contradict the lies. This is what Libby's case is missing, but I think we are expecting too much to have a clear cause of death where her body was in water for seven weeks. So we have to infer, we have to join the dots, police have joined their dots, rape, intentional assault leading to death, disposal of the victim's body in a way that benefits the accused massively. Or nearly did, PR. To me, it is hugely suggestive and very strong circumstantial evidence that her body ended up in the river. That the crime occurred and then Libby put herself in the river to me, is a huge "reach". The suicide theory to me is a non-starter, I have worked with a lot of suicidal people and I think it is incredibly unlikely.

Had Libby been found raped and dead in the park and had PR ever admitted (even in the third, fourth version of events) to the rape, but then maintained that he did not kill her, I might give a little consideration to that. But he has never stopped lying, showing the very typical psychology of this type of offender.

And he went straight home and started to destroy evidence................

And he returns to the crime scene........but no he didn't kill her, and didn't hide her body. Really?

Another thing I have learnt is to put almost no value on eye/ear witness testimony, it is incredibly unreliable, and timings can be erroneous. Violent assaults can happen much more quickly than we think. So of course they have to be considered. For what it's worth, the noises that were described as screams and that sounded "like desperation" sound like foxes to me. We will never know. Very subjective evidence.
Very few cases will give you enough evidence to put a "mental video" of the crime, second by second. It is totally unrealistic to expect this.

Brilliant post Rosalinda - I wish you were on the Jury

Key questions answered during the trial

The jury has a lot of evidence to sift through but we found out a lot more about the high-profile case during the trial.

As the evidence due to a close and before final closing speeches were made, we took a look at some of the key questions that have been answered which you can read here:

Key questions answered as Pawel Relowicz accused of Libby murder

I think this is a bit of a false dichotomy and it wouldn’t bring me any comfort either way. There’s no telling that a death as a result of rape,if it involved loss of consciousness & was quick, would be any more traumatic than stumbling about for up to two hours and ending up in moving water.

The jury deciding that there is insufficient evidence to prove murder doesn’t prove that Libby’s death was misadventure either. I think imagining the worst is going to be a cert fuelled by the knowledge that PR’s demonstrable lies have made determining what happened impossible.

Edited to add last sentence
Good post. I'd add 'beyond reasonable doubt in court' to the last sentence.

If it were me, and I acknowledge I'm only speaking for me not them, I think getting full justice for my daughter is the only thing I'd have left. Having the fact her whole life was stolen by PR acknowledged.

RSBM

If, just if PR wasn't responsible for her death at his hand, would you really want to live out your days, imagining a painful, terrifying attack as her last moments on earth, or would you rather have the knowledge that it was a tragic accident (misadventure)

But there was a painful, terrifying attack - Libby was raped.
So no, it would not make it any better for me, thinking that after this horrific attack, Libby put herself into the river and it can be classed as misadventure.

I would still know that this vile predator took my vulnerable daughter to a remote, dark area and - either directly, or indirectly - caused her death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa