GUILTY UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, teaching asst, found deceased, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *teen arrested* #5

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread and kept us up to date - all the usual crew and of course new members and much appreciated locals :)

So glad justice has been done for Lindsay, exactly a year to the day she was taken away.

I actually don't see why he is given a choice as to whether or not he attends for sentencing.

I can see how it is much easier for the police / court etc to have him on video link but I do feel, as a convicted murderer, he should be made to be there.

I too think he should be there,but by giving him the choice it rules out any chance of the defence saying he had been treated unfairly due to his learning difficulties.

I went out to do some gardening, thinking there would be no news today. Just come back to find a new thread and five pages to read through- when I saw the post "Verdict's coming." and then "GUILTY" I actually screamed lol. What an amazing sense of relief and justice on such an important yet painful day for all of Lindsay's loved ones. I am very emotional right now!

Just catching up, wow, I did not expect a verdict so soon, and wasn't really expecting guilty - my opinion was guilty, but opinion isn't proof and the reporting didn't make it sound well proved, although the prosecution summing up did bring everything together well.

Glad Lindsay's family have justice, especially today on the anniversary. I just hope the sentence length is reasonable, as the public will be a lot safer with him not at large. I wonder how much will come out about him if reporting restrictions are lifted.

Defence are opposing to the lifting restrictions

Oh the irony here. The Lindsay and her family have had no anonimity, they have been exposed and subject to rumours, foul and horrid innuendo and lies.
btw: Watch the statement on the court steps from her daughter Sarah, how noble and loving is she?

The perp and his family who IMHO assisted and coached him in his defence. How many no comment interviews did he give before his err' prepared statement?
They want the courts to grant them continuing anonimity ??
Words fail me on this...........................

Last edited:
I have to admit the verdict has surprised me from what we have read I wasn't convinced the Jury would find it proven, just shows how differently things come across in person and its a good job its the Jury's opinion that matters, not mine.

I am obviously very happy the family and Lindsay have received the justice they all deserve and hope they will somehow find a way to move forward with their lives now.
And her killer can know he faces languishing in prison for a very long time on the anniversary of his horrendous acts.

Oh the irony here. The Lindsay and her family have had no anonimity, they have been exposed and subject to rumours, foul and horrid innuendo and lies.
btw: Watch the statement on the court steps from her daughter Sarah, how noble and loving is she?

The perp and his family who IMHO assisted and coached him in his defence. How many no comment interviews did he give before his err' prepared statement?
They want the courts to grant them continuing anonimity ??
Words fail me on this...........................
Well I think the digital world we live in will not allow his family anonymity.....now he’s found guilty it’s a level playing field for the true character of him to be talked about by people who know him without the risk of jeopardising the case . I do feel for any parent who would have to see their child guilty of such a disgusting crime but in this case imo they have coached and helped him try to cover his tracks ....he hasn’t achieved this on his own . Hopefully the police will pursue a line of enquiry and find what happened to her belongings but for now I hope closure of some description has come for Lindsay’s family ...may she now rest in external peace x

Well that came quickly. Fair play to the jury, let’s hope he’s locked away for a Very very long time.

let’s also hope restrictions are lifted and he can be named and shamed. That should at least be the Price you pay when you go down that rocky road he’s sent himself down.

what a great shame this whole episode has been & the irony is she probably avoided the narrow ginnel behind the pub for exactly this reason. R.I.P

Not sure if this has already been shared, apologies if it has!

BBC News - Lindsay Birbeck: Teenager guilty of murdering teaching assistant
Teenager guilty of murdering teaching assistant

"Outside court, Mrs Birbeck's daughter said: 'Our lives have been utterly destroyed by the evil, cowardly behaviour of the defendant and the horrific manner in which she was murdered. My mum went for a walk on a sunny afternoon in August and never came home, it's unthinkable that something as brutal as this could happen in our close community to someone that was loved so very dearly.'"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teadrinker09
Back