Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing - are the witnesses absolutely sure they saw her? From a distance it is easy to think you see someone you know, but when you get closer you realise you are totally mistaken. The fact she was not wearing a bobble hat is worrying, if this is what the witness saw (I am not sure if they did see this - I am just wondering).

Also the phone on the bench issue, I too sometimes put my phone down next to me when handsfree. I almost left it behind on one occasion in an enclosed shopping area - I got up, walked a few yards and then realised I hadn't got my phone so turned and retrieved it. So it could have been left behind accidentally and maybe Nicola did not go in the water in that area, if in fact she went in the water at all.
I agree, what she was wearing, the long coat and hat, honestly thats quite a fashionable wear at this time of year and i often see women who have identical coat / hat to my wife.

"the last confirmed sighting and at 9:20, when Nicola's phone was found on the bench... sorry, not found on the bench, Nicola's phone was on the bench believed to be on the bench found at around 9:33"

From the transcript:

Reporter - How was the phone known to be on the bench at 9:20 exactly?

Superintendent - Through telephony enquiries that we've done, relative to the phone itself, rather than through a witness.

Reporter - So it wasn't (inaudible)?

Superintendent - No.

They don't ever say it was definitely found ON the bench.
They say it was ON the bench, believed to be ON the bench.

Nicola's phone was on the bench believed to be on the bench found at around 9:33

AFAIK Police never said it was found on the ground. I do feel it is quite a suggestive point, and agree it is one which would be helpful to clarify.

EDIT - the comment in the press conference about "sorry, not found on the bench" is the Supt correcting herself on the timings of events, not the location of the phone. It's clear what she is referring to when you watch the video.

I have read an eyewitness account which says that the phone initially was found under the tree behind the bench.

She went on to say, the dog walker spotted Willow as she came through a gate onto the towpath but became suspicious when she saw the harness and lead on the floor. A man then came through behind her with his dog and spotted the phone.
"The gent has looked on the floor and two feet from the bench there’s a phone," she said. "I think she’s either been faffing about at the edge of the river because the dog’s been smelling fishing bait and she’s slipped or she’s had a medical episode."

Willow was dry? How long does it take for a spaniel to dry off or look dry if it constantly shakes and charges around?
We're in Australia and it's summer right now. One of our spaniels takes about 15 minutes to dry, but that's in really HOT weather. In the UK winter weather there's no way it would have been dried out after being in the river that quickly.

I have lived by a river most of my life and what PF is saying about how easy it is to locate a drowned bodies does not tally up with how drowning incidents have panned out here. And that's with most of the time people witnessing exactly where the person got in trouble and 999/help being summoned very quickly. I don't know what to think as he's constantly changing what he says/his opinion and is very forthright/100% convinced in those opinions only to change to the complete opposite hours later.

What would be the equivalent of his search team here that worked the river by me in such circumstances just got on with things and never voiced anything publically let alone their theories and expected outcome with such certainly. IMO, It's really just adding to the social media circus, he needs to just get on with it, professinally work with the police and stop all the media courting for the sake of the case and Nicola and her family/loved ones.

Regarding crossing the river - I googled and found this line in a blog from someone who knows the area:
"It is thought a church existed here, near a safe river crossing, from 640AD" (from The Wyre Way. – bowlandclimber)
Yeah, I was wondering this yesterday after looking at the vehicle tracks in the area between the bench and the weir.

There is a stile next to the bench that leads here (also the Liverpool Echo video from yesterday had the reporter here at the end of the video)

Is the river fordable where the tracks lead to? I’ve marked on the attached where it appears there maybe a sand bank, hence shallower, and possible path under the trees up to the church on the opposite bank.

Attachments

• 16A7853A-D189-41FE-B2FA-08EFC4D3C016.jpeg
    16A7853A-D189-41FE-B2FA-08EFC4D3C016.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 40
Responding to some posts with local knowledge… there is no wading or fording the river Wyre in St Michaels. It’s too deep.
The pictures posted in the linked blog are all upstream near the source where the river is very different.

In response to posters wondering about things on the banks… it is quite barren in the immediate vicinity of the river. The fact that it is tidal and salty in the stretch between the estuary and St Michaels mean there are very few trees or shrubs at or near the waters edge. Scrubby grasses, yes up to the waters edge when the tide is in, but mud flats, nothing growing in the water when the tide is out.

The river bed is almost exclusively mud down from St Michaels - there are no areas I can think of with visible boulders & stones. Again I think this is a result of the tidal nature of the river up to St Michaels - as the tides moves in/out silt is deposited. The water itself is very murky. That said SONAR should give a full topography of the river bed.

There are settlements or odd houses dotted around all the way along the river out to the estuary. I would think that probably every stretch of river bank out to the estuary will be covered by dog walkers /locals where it is accessible. The roads also run alongside the river in places. It is easy to see the banks from the paths/roads due to the lack of foliage nearby. Also a couple of busy or well used bridges. I would think every stretch of the Wyre downstream from St Michaels will have been walked by locals since NBs disappearance.

Edited to add - I appreciate that is all very difficult to see from grainy satellite images.

They stated it was found at the bench. if you listen to a press conference she changes very subtlety what she says.
Indeed she does. Which Police report is definitive anyway? The first one or the updates.

I have read an eyewitness account which says that the phone initially was found under the tree behind the bench.

She went on to say, the dog walker spotted Willow as she came through a gate onto the towpath but became suspicious when she saw the harness and lead on the floor. A man then came through behind her with his dog and spotted the phone.
"The gent has looked on the floor and two feet from the bench there’s a phone," she said. "I think she’s either been faffing about at the edge of the river because the dog’s been smelling fishing bait and she’s slipped or she’s had a medical episode."

JMO I think this person may be an unreliable witness.

Ok, I imagine the man has been spoken to by police.
So all items were near the bench I. E scattered around it.
This could either have been done deliberately by a perpetrator or there was a scuffle involving Nicola at the bench.
It would be highly unlikely Nicola would go to the river and leave the items scattered on the floor.

In my view there are three options:

1. She is in river and there’s nothing we can do for her.. police are doing best to locate her
2. Perpetrator has deliberately placed items near bench along with Willow
3. Nicola was taken from bench area and parted from her dog and phone

Does this report mean searching 'upstream' from the bench?

What is the concept there? That she walked up river and then fell in further up?

I was thinking the same thing - are the witnesses absolutely sure they saw her? From a distance it is easy to think you see someone you know, but when you get closer you realise you are totally mistaken. The fact she was not wearing a bobble hat is worrying, if this is what the witness saw (I am not sure if they did see this - I am just wondering).

Also the phone on the bench issue, I too sometimes put my phone down next to me when handsfree. I almost left it behind on one occasion in an enclosed shopping area - I got up, walked a few yards and then realised I hadn't got my phone so turned and retrieved it. So it could have been left behind accidentally and maybe Nicola did not go in the water in that area, if in fact she went in the water at all.
I also wonder if they definitely saw her THAT day, she obviously walks Willow in the same area most days, could you really be 100% you definitely saw her in that location on Friday? and it wasn't Wednesday or Thursday?
I see my neighbour out with her little dog most mornings when I take my girls to school, but I couldn't be 100% certain where I saw her and on what days, sometimes it's down our lane, sometimes on the main road. If you asked me now, if i'd seen her last Friday, I definitely couldn't say with 100% certainty that i'd seen her on Friday or where, it all merges into one when you see someone in roughly the same area, most days.

I also wonder if they definitely saw her THAT day, she obviously walks Willow in the same area most days, could you really be 100% you definitely saw her in that location on Friday? and it wasn't Wednesday or Thursday?
I see my neighbour out with her little dog most mornings when I take my girls to school, but I couldn't be 100% certain where I saw her and on what days, sometimes it's down our lane, sometimes on the main road. If you asked me now, if i'd seen her last Friday, I definitely couldn't say with 100% certainty that i'd seen her on Friday or where, it all merges into one when you see someone in roughly the same area, most days.
I'm pretty sure they gave their accounts the same day. I'm sure the police will have thought of all this anyway.

Search by PF and his team today focusing on 1 mile upstream and also searching from the weir to the bench again.
View attachment 400852
Did his team search from the bench to the weir yesterday or only downstream of the weir?

EDIT: Just seen BBC segment, seems not but has faith police divers covered that extensively on the day

Last edited:
In the Mail this morning, apols if already shared by someone else. I'd guess someone who wants to kill someone is going to be fairly devious, so leaving the phone by the river as a decoy isn't inconceivable, though the timeframe in which a crime could be committed is limited. There is a fine line between second guessing what a criminal might do, and speculation that is close to conspiracy theorising. Anyways looks as if that might be where we'll find ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vymocycy