VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped my other half off at airport yesterday (near Style) at 8:30am for his connecting flight. Took us 50 mins from Rossendale and skirting around Manchester on the M60.

Lucky duck is covering the Athletics in Budapest - let’s just say I’m not his N°1 fan at the moment or the foreseeable future with some of the jobs he’s on… :confused:
You should have gone too.
Budapest is amazing!!!!

Yes, it seems a little cavalier that he'd be on hols at this stage of the game. A hol at the point the jury retired, fair enough, the expectation being that they'd be deliberating for a couple of weeks or so, leaving him ample time to top up his tan, but to be away when a looming verdict is now a realistic possibility seems off, unprofessional almost.
Maybe his daughter is getting married or his son is graduating college or he is having his 1st grand child? It's possible he has a family obligation that he does not want to miss. He has been probably neglecting his family for quite awhile because of this overwhelming trial----why shouldn't he take the opportunity to begin making up for it now?

There is really nothing left for him to do now. It probably makes him batty to just sit and wait. Why not go to a family wedding or visit grandchildren etc?

The jury also need time time to get to court. Office hours may be too early for the distance they need to travel.
There has been a lot of criticism of the jury on here and I think most, if not all, is unwarranted. And, yes, I know I've made comments myself when jury members have been suspiciously absent after a bank holiday or the day after a big sporting event so I'm not excluding myself from anything.

Yes, they do sit for what appear to be "short" hours to us external observers but let's not forgot the fundamental underpinnings of why they are there; to put it very bluntly they face a criminal conviction with possible prison if they refuse! Okay, there are lots of reasons to get off jury service but the case remains that it is a legal obligation to attend if you are selected.

We should bear in mind that this is a case of the state compelling the individual to work for it at a rate of £0.00 per hour, on whatever days and times that it dictates and for an unknown period. The penalty for refusing is a criminal conviction and potentially incarceration.

It is extremely unusual in any democratic society for private individuals to be compelled through the force of law to commit to personal service for anything they have not expressly consented to other than after having been convicted of a crime. It is, in effect, a contravention of someone's basic Human Rights when it comes down to it.

There has been a lot of criticism of the jury on here and I think most, if not all, is unwarranted. And, yes, I know I've made comments myself when jury members have been suspiciously absent after a bank holiday or the day after a big sporting event so I'm not excluding myself from anything.

Yes, they do sit for what appear to be "short" hours to us external observers but let's not forgot the fundamental underpinnings of why they are there; to put it very bluntly they face a criminal conviction with possible prison if they refuse! Okay, there are lots of reasons to get off jury service but the case remains that it is a legal obligation to attend if you are selected.

We should bear in mind that this is a case of the state compelling the individual to work for it at a rate of £0.00 per hour, on whatever days and times that it dictates and for an unknown period. The penalty for refusing is a criminal conviction and potentially incarceration.

It is extremely unusual in any democratic society for private individuals to be compelled through the force of law to commit to personal service for anything they have not expressly consented to other than after having been convicted of a crime. It is, in effect, a contravention of someone's basic Human Rights when it comes down to it.
The flipside of rights is responsibilities. A full member of a society has both.

MOO

If your jury service lasts longer than 10 working days, the amount you can claim increases. You’ll be able to claim up to:

• £129.91 a day if you spend more than 4 hours at court
  • £64.95 a day if you spend 4 hours or less at court

Plus £5.71 per day for food, plus travel expenses.

Jury service

The flipside of rights is responsibilities. A full member of a society has both.

MOO
Agreed totally. However, it is very, very unusual that the state compels someone to do something in the form of a personal service.

The responsibilities attached to rights are generally not to do certain things (like commiting crimes) rather than to actually do things.

If your jury service lasts longer than 10 working days, the amount you can claim increases. You’ll be able to claim up to:

• £129.91 a day if you spend more than 4 hours at court
  • £64.95 a day if you spend 4 hours or less at court

Plus £5.71 per day for food, plus travel expenses.

Jury service
I know this but it's still really expenses rather than pay for a job of work and, either way, it's still not something you have a choice in.

They are there under compulsion rather than choice, essentially.

WINNER Announcement

Length of Deliberations Predictions

Jul

Mon 10th - day 1 (afternoon only) - 2pm to 4pm minus 5mins = 1h 55m
Tue 11th - day 2 - 4h 20m
Wed 12th - day 3 - 4h 20m
Thu 13th - day 4 - 4h 20m
Fri 14th - day 5 - 4h 20m
Mon 24th - day 6 - 4h 20m
Tue 25th - day 7 - 4h 20m
Wed 26th - day 8 - 4h 15m
Thu 27th - day 9 - 4h 20m
Fri 28th - day 10 - 3h 50m (12pm - 4pm minus 2x 5 min breaks)
Aug
Tue 1st - day 11 - 4h 10m
Wed 2nd - day 12 - 4h 20m
Thu 3rd - day 13 - 4h 10m
Fri 4th - day 14 - 4h 15m
Tue 8th - day 15 - 4h 20m (majority direction given at 3pm)
Wed 9th - day 16 - 4h 20m
Thu 10th - day 17 - 4h (12pm to 4pm - assumed no lunch break)
Fri 11th - day 18 - 3h 25m (1pm to 4.30pm minus 5m)
Tue 15th - day 19 - 4h 20m

Running total = 77h 40m

The Winner (due to being the closest guess) Is -

80h - @V347 (backed by @crystalline and @Jw192 )

CONGRATULATIONS!!! @V347

We could always start again? :D

I know this but it's still really expenses rather than pay for a job of work and, either way, it's still not something you have a choice in.

They are there under compulsion rather than choice, essentially.
That's a matter of opinion. I don't consider £30 an hour, or c. £2,600-£2,800 a month, expenses. But you did say they were getting nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500