UK UK - Owen Harding, 16, Saltdean, East Sussex, 26 Mar 2020

“Owen was an adventurous young lad who lived life to the full. He is gone, but we need to keep living and honour him."

“We need to talk about him and keep his spirit alive."

“They are either deceased or they are keeping themselves alive and don’t want to be found.

“The police and all of us found it hard to believe it would be the second one.

“But then, is he dead? It’s an obvious answer, but it’s harrowing.

“We don’t want to think that.

“It’s a horrible limbo, but that’s the curse of having a person missing. You never know if they are alive or dead.

“All of us who know and love Owen hope that he will turn up.”

A YEAR ago today, Stella Harding saw her 16-year-old son Owen for the last time.

Three days into the first UK lockdown, the Saltdean teenager went for a walk and never returned.

This evening, people in his hometown as well as many others across the country who have been touched by his story will place a candle in their window to mark 365 days since his disappearance.

'In my heart, I know he is gone' - One year on from disappearance of Owen Harding

Well! This one has turned out to be concerning!

I initially thought he might have got fed up of the lockdown and gone off to a friend's or girlfriend (saw mention of a gf in Leeds?) But, it's feeling a lot less likely now! AND this -

"We are also investigating a potential line of enquiry in regards to information that Owen’s phone is in the Bromley or West Wickham area of London" -

is especially concerning! Mugged/fatally injured for his phone perhaps? I can't see him hiding out with friends voluntarily with this much attention from police/press/social media etc

Desperate search for missing teen continues
The phone incident was odd but eventually ruled out as mentioned further down in the forum.
I am surprised there has been closure with no body yet found but his family and friends would have known him best and his state of mind when he left.
I would like to say R.I.P and condolences to his loved ones but we can never be too sure with only circumstantial evidence so thinking of Owen wherever he may be in this life or the next.

Last edited:
Saw the website had been taken down too
Suicide seems to be ruled in although possibly circumstantial. As outsiders we may not have heard the full details. If there is a coroners report I expect there may be more detail as to why the family believe this to be the case.
My theory is that he may have swum out to sea and not turned be back. This is based on the fact that he had a family loss when his dad passed and then the stress of lockdown and not seeing his girlfriend may have led to a mental health episode. Such a sad ending to a young lads life.

I only came across this case a few hours ago and have been reading all of the threads. To me, it does seem strange that no one (unless I've missed it) has mentioned the possibility of him being picked up in a car.

There has been mention of "three days into lockdown", but the measures had legally came into force on the day of his disappearance. This was also the day I left Southampton back to Newport in South Wales via train as my grandad died a week before and whilst police were about, even at the station no one had stopped to ask if my travel was essential. What I am trying to say is, what if someone in a car had seen him and being a 16 year old, hormones and emotions running high, not thinking at all accepted a lift?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/timeline-lockdown-web.pdf
(This is a timeline of lockdown).

The walking to York didn't sound plausible from the start. If I'm honest, when I started reading about this case, immediate thoughts went to the mother. Given they had an argument and she kept pushing the Covid-19 story, even saying she believes he is dead one year on. But after reading all of the threads and news clippings, it's highly unlikely.

From May but still missing sadly

A mother has spoken of her grief over the disappearance of her son on what would be his 20th birthday.

You need to subscribe to read the article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back