UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 Jul 1986 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Google, Wast Water is only 79m deep - maybe they meant England's deepest lake. Loch Morar is nearly four times deeper. If you "hide" a body in 100 feet of water, there's a non-zero chance it will be found.

As with the Cortina, although in sort-of-plain-sight, it did get found eventually.

As Pinkizzy suggests, maybe she's on private land that's not going to be disturbed. There are 6,000 missing people in the UK so presumably there are 6,000+ hiding places.
so 79metres is 259 feet, but the body was apparently found by divers at 36metres in a shallow part of the lake...the husband was probably unaware of that as he was a long way from their home in Guildford.

The body floated down to a hidden shelf in the lake
so 79metres is 259 feet, but the body was apparently found by divers at 36metres in a shallow part of the lake...the husband was probably unaware of that as he was a long way from their home in Guildford.

Being an organised sort of cove, when I was researching 'deepest lake in the UK' and got back Loch Morar, I searched a bit more and came across a link to a 1912 soundings survey of it. This tells you exactly where the deepest bit is. It's pretty much bang in the middle from east to west, but as it's quite narrow, it's only about 500m from either the north or south shore.

The problem you'd have is that the roads fizzle out some way short. Unless you wanted to hike a long way along the shore path carrying a body and a boat, you'd have to put your canoe or whatever in the water a good three miles west of the deeps. To get then to the right place in the water, presumably at night, would require an outboard motor and / or sailing skills. You might not want the noise a motor makes, and rowing six miles would be no joke, probably impossible.

I have no sense for how busy this sort of place is, or how likely it is that you'd run into someone while you were trying to do this. But probably this is why our homicidal airline pilot dropped the body into water only half as deep as he was expecting. He was likely too close to the shore.

I suppose if you wanted to do this in daylight, you could always pretend to be a monster hunter.

It does point up how hard this is. A body in 1,000 feet of cold freshwater will last for ever, pretty much, so you have to be sure it won't be found.

The body floated down to a hidden shelf in the lake
yes, I always thought the body was on a shelf, but this article with quotes from the divers states that they moved the body from the bed of the lake to a shelf.

Is there any published information regarding JC's movements the moment he left the Wormwood Scrubs bail hostel for the last time? I gather he claims he returned immediately to his mother's although this has never been verified and indeed has been challenged. I haven't seen anything regarding what he did, where he went, where he slept etc, during the immediate aftermath of his release. This aspect of the case - working back from a strong suspect - would seem to me to be a very obvious line for the police to investigate. Jim Dickie stated relatively recently that JC was known to be in Fulham on the day SL disappeared and I think he did so at the time of his review too.

Again from Jim Dickie, JC claimed, during police interview, that he had never visited Fulham. An odd assertion you would think, given the admissions about his social life escapades that he made to work colleagues at the prop hire company. Again, from other remarks to his colleagues (and possibly fellow inmates too) he reveals he had a particular down on Sloane Ranger females too. Cross him when alone and under more intimate circumstances, and you can see how the dislike of a psychopath would suddenly turn into rage and murder.

Prone to talking volubly and overcommitting himself perhaps, JC admits, under police interview, that he has committed other crimes for which he hasn't been caught. We've all seen that particular moment on video. This is a murderer talking. Do you think he was referring to stealing sweets as a child from the local paper shop? I don't. I thought that was a particularly self-revealing insight, inadvertently given during moments of heightened tension.

After the Shirley Banks trial, his long-standing solicitor, Jim Moriarty, made a public statement to declare: "My instructions are" that JC had never met or had any dealings with Suzy Lamplugh. His instructions may nonetheless, differ from his own closely-held beliefs and knowledge. I for one think he knows more than he can possibly reveal.

This thread is now closed. Click below to continue the discussion in Thread #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther