GUILTY UT - Anne Kasprzak, 15, body found in Jordan River, 10 March 2012

Kasprzak was reported as a runaway Saturday because there was no sign of an abduction in her home, the parents said.

------------

Anne’s parents concede that her life "was not perfect." They do not discuss her life before she was adopted from the foster system at age 10 — partly, they say, because she would want her privacy, and partly because it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with her death.

"It was something she had worked through,"
Kasprzak-Bratcher said.

Anne was dealt another adjustment when her parents divorced and remarried.
The couples live just a few miles apart, and Anne had moved back and forth between the two homes this fall.

----------------------------

"Anne was not a bad kid. She’s just a regular teenager who for whatever reason left the house and didn’t get to come home."

-----------------------------

Anne expressed strong objections to drugs, her stepfather said, so her parents are skeptical they played a role in her disappearance or death.

"Sometimes she might have been too trusting,"
Kasprzak-Bratcher said. "She so wanted everybody to be OK. She felt anyone could be different, could be better."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53708235-78/anne-parents-bratcher-kasprzak.html.csp

The news stories have referred to Annie's step-mom, her mother, and her adoptive parents, but I think I've got it straight now.

Apparently, Annie was adopted at age 10. Her adoptive parents divorced. She lived with her mother, (the woman who adopted her), and there is no stepmom, am I right?

So, Annie disappeared from the home she lived in with her mother, who had adopted her at age 10. I hope I have that straight, please correct me if I am wrong!

As for the cellphone tracking, I would do the same thing if my daughter was missing, but I am one of those weirdos who spends hours on the internet, discussing missing persons and murder. Most of my "normal" friends would probably expect the police to do that kind of thing. I wonder if Annie's mom is an amatuer sleuth, like us? I watched her interview on connect2utah. She doesn't sound like a "websleuth" to me.
She also does not sound angry or horrified...she sounds kind of numb, like she is sad but accepting. I don't think I could process my emotions that quickly if thought that someone murdered my child, but who knows?

Anne was adopted at age 10.
A few years after she was adopted her parents got divorced.

Anne's mother remarried (stepfather.)
Anne's father remarried (stepmother.)

As far as I know we haven't seen/heard anything about Anne's birth family at all. Any reference to parents is her adopted/step parents.

It is possible that Anne's mother is still in shock.

It is also possible that given her adoption at age 10, Anne may not have bonded well.
Depending on what her childhood was like, she may not have been comfortable getting too close to people.
So it's possible that they never developed a real mother/daughter bond.

I think shock is the most likely scenario though.

Parents of missing teen tried finding her through cellphone GPS
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=195...ng-her-through-cellphone-gps&s_cid=featured-5

(snip)
According to a police report written at 11:18 p.m. on March 10, Anne's mother "was able to enable a GPS locator on Anne's phone." The locator was able to place the phone at a certain location. That location was redacted from the police report.

Later, the GPS locator placed the phone between two locations, which were also redacted from the report. Additional police units were sent to that area to search for Anne but officers did not find her.

Anne's name was dispatched to all surrounding agencies in the Salt Lake Valley and she was also listed as a "runaway juvenile" on NCIC, a national database that all police agencies can access.

Investigators have not said why they believe Anne ran away from home other than that was how it was originally reported to police.

http://connect2utah.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_684.shtml?wap=0

Annie’s family says Saturday was like any other. She went to her room around 7:45 p.m., but when her mom went to check on her she wasn’t there.

“I called the cell phone and I left her a message and I said, ‘You had better call me back immediately. This is not okay.’” said Veronica. “And she didn’t answer.”

Annie’s parents grew scared.
“Annie is not the type of person that would intentionally go anywhere alone…especially at night,” said Veronica.

But it was dark and getting late, and Annie’s parents called police. The long night turned to the next day, and then there was a body found in the Jordan River broadcasted on the news.

“We knew it was Annie. It wasn’t like her to be gone this long. She had never been gone overnight. She’s never done anything like that,” said Veronica. “She was a good kid who wouldn’t hurt anybody.”

Maybe we'll get a press conference on Monday. LE has to know something more to be able to say that there is no danger to the community. They need to keep the pubilc as informed as possible without naming names if they are already looking at a POI. Until they do, Anne's family will be the subject of gossip and suspicion. LE needs to at least clear them first, and I hope they do that soon!

I agree...
Though, for what it's worth the speculation in the actual community is not the same as the speculation in the comment section of the articles.
I have heard a few people say they do think it's odd that her mother called police an hour after she saw her 15 year old daughter last...
However, they don't think family hurt her simply because they reported her missing so quickly.

A lot of people think she was reported missing so quickly because the family had reason to think she might be hurt or going to hurt herself.

I've heard FAR more speculation towards suicide or online stranger than towards any family involvement. It's really been quite a switch.

This definitely isn't like other cases where the entire community knows what happened and agrees in public, online and everywhere.
It's a mystery to them as well. :twocents:

Police arrest man for death of girl found in Jordan River
Motive » Victim assaulted after refusing to have sex with suspect, police say.

By Sheena mcFarland
| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published 1 hour ago • Updated 1 hour ago
Police have arrested a man in the murder of a 15-year-old whose body was found in the Jordan River last week.
Daniel Robert Lehi Ferry, 31, was arrested on suspicion of the homicide of Riverton teen Annie Kasprzak. Her body was found on March 11. She was last seen on March 10.

More:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53748202-78/police-ferry-body-jordan.html.csp

However, I wonder if the witness is a young friend of Annie's. They may have been terrified and be a victim of this guy as well.

:rose: R.I.P. Annie :rose:

I am glad that there was a witness to get this guy off the streets. There are too many mysteries out there, too many murderers walking free, too many deaths with no justice. Thank goodness there was a witness, evidence still in his home (the blood), and possibly justice on the horizon.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=196...d-girl-found-in-jordan-river&s_cid=featured-1

danielanniek.jpg

Ferry has a long criminal history, according to Utah court records. In November, he was charged with felony drug distribution and possession. A court hearing on that case was originally scheduled for later this week. He was also charged in a separate case in 3rd District Court in August with felony drug possession with intent to distribute. A preliminary hearing on that case is scheduled for May.

In 2003 he was convicted of felony burglary and sentenced to up to five years at the Utah State Prison.

In 1999, two counts of aggravated assault against Ferry were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to failing to stop at the command of a police officer. He was sentenced to up to five years at the Utah State Prison, according to court records.

In a separate case in 1999, he was convicted of aggravated assault and burglary and was sentenced to one to 15 years in prison, according to court records.

Ferry first arrived at the Utah State Prison in 1999 and was paroled in 2003. He was re-arrested and returned to prison a couple of months later. His sentence was terminated by the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole in November 2010.

This creep should still be in prison for the first conviction in 1999! With all the parole violations how did he end up with a good behavior probation?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53748202-78/police-ferry-body-jordan.html.csp

(snip)
Ferry — listed in recent court records as being a resident of Sandy — is currently charged with multiple counts of possession with intent to distribute and use or possession of drug paraphernalia.
In January, he pleaded guilty to a class A misdemeanor count of attempted failure to respond to the command of a police officer and was sentenced to 12 months good behavior probation.

I still have so many question. How did she end up at his house? Did she know him before that night?

The probable cause statement uses "she" when referring to the witness. Was this girl friends with Annie? Did they both go to his house together?

I wonder when the "remodeling" started? I think Timon knows alot about alot of things.

http://fox13now.com/2012/03/19/man-accused-of-murdering-riverton-teen/

(snip)
Daniel Ferry recently finished serving over a decade in prison for shooting a man point-blank in the face. Now, police are trying to piece together the evidence they need to prove murder.
“They were taking pics in my hallway so I assume they think something happened in my hallway. And we just barely started remodeling our floor, and they were wondering where our carpet was,” says Timon Ferry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back