GUILTY UT - Destiny Norton, 5, Salt Lake City, 16 July 2006

Hi Marie:

Thanks for your post...good to show all sides...IMO

I also wondered if a child is being neglected why they would have to go to bed at 8:30...... :)

Not everyone is fortunate to have the means to be able to own a home in a nice neighborhood where families can live alone in relative peace......lots of good people are out there trying to "make it"...some families support one another or just like to live with others.

If you take folks from Newfoundland in Canada it is the norm to never turn away another member of your family, or a friend of family. It is just neighborly and being of good heart to have lots of people living in your home.

I can't jump to conclusions yet!

Think of what happened to Mark Lunsford and his family in the early days of Jessica's disappearance and you will know what I mean......

Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

Family of Missing Girl Leaning on Friends
July 18th, 2006 @ 3:36pm

Jed Boal Reporting

Destiny Norton's family hangs on to hope that they'll find the girl. It's a paralyzing twist for a family that had recently made new commitments in their lives.

Rick and Rachael Norton were at the search headquarters this morning as friends, family and many strangers fanned out to help them search for any sign of Destiny. The family is shattered emotionally; by all accounts they've had little sleep. They're leaning on old and new friends.

More at link:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=367364

I have a question about silver caps on children's teeth. I have seen this more and more in recent years and thought that the caps were a sign of bad teeth and thus negligence (allowing chilren to drink sodas, etc.), but then a friend of mine told me that her dentist recommended capping all of her young son's back teeth (molars and premolars) in order to help prevent cavities since the child's teeth are very close together and so cavity-prone.

So my question is, what is the purpose of the silver capping of FRONT teeth on small children. Is is treatment for bad teeth or a preventative measure?

Cypros, in Destiny's case it said on our local news that she had bottle rot. So for her it was because she had bad teeth. I wasn't aware they also did it as a preventative measure.

Cypros said:
I have a question about silver caps on children's teeth. I have seen this more and more in recent years and thought that the caps were a sign of bad teeth and thus negligence (allowing chilren to drink sodas, etc.), but then a friend of mine told me that her dentist recommended capping all of her young son's back teeth (molars and premolars) in order to help prevent cavities since the child's teeth are very close together and so cavity-prone.

So my question is, what is the purpose of the silver capping of FRONT teeth on small children. Is is treatment for bad teeth or a preventative measure?

So what is bottle rot? Sorry, never heard of it before...I'm outa touch...LOL

Is it having the bottle too long or giving the child too much juice in a bottle?

joanofarc said:

Is it having the bottle too long or giving the child too much juice in a bottle?

I want to know too. This is suspicious to me.

It's usually caused by giving a child a bottle to go to sleep by...having the milk on the teeth for a long period of time and the acid like film breaks down the enamel on the teeth. At least I think that's what it is..lol

joanofarc said:

My babies had a bottle to go to sleep. Of course they didn;t have teeth yet. The rules changing is beyond me and I am glad that I don't have to deal. But, what baby didn't have a bottle to go to sleep?

We get kids being starved to death, missing and murdered, and God knows what else. Why would a five year old have caps? Something is wrong all the way around.

Children start getting their teeth sometime around 6 months and sometimes have their bottles up until a year and a half or so. If your babies didn't have their teeth then the milk wouldn't be rotting the enamel off them. Also your babies must have been pretty young if they didn't have their teeth yet and I would think you wouldn't put them down for the night with a bottle in their mouths? I suppose some children have stronger enamel than others also.

ETA: What do you think is wrong with Destiny's teeth??

concernedperson said:
My babies had a bottle to go to sleep. Of course they didn;t have teeth yet. The rules changing is beyond me and I am glad that I don't have to deal. But, what baby didn't have a bottle to go to sleep?

We get kids being starved to death, missing and murdered, and God knows what else. Why would a five year old have caps? Something is wrong all the way around.

joanofarc said:
Here you go....

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=364019

Destiny was last seen at 8:30 Sunday night. Police say she was getting ready for bed at her home near 700 South 500 East. Police say she got in an argument with her parents and stormed out of the house. When the parents went to check on her ten minutes later, the five-year old was nowhere to be found.

Part of the investigation Monday afternoon appeared to center around a dumpster behind the home.

Police dedicated a significant amount of attention to the dumpster. They covered it with a blue awning and a number of investigators appeared to be combing through the contents of the dumpster.
Late Monday afternoon police finished whatever they were doing at the dumpster and left with two large evidence bags. One was labeled "pillow", the other, smaller one, labeled "FBI".

Thanks! :blowkiss:

They cap them because of the bottle rot (decay). If they do not cap them or pull them then the decay causes pain and infections.

concernedperson said:
I don't understand caps for a 5 year old.

I consider myself a good parent... as my husband.
We had our kids brush their teeth 3 times a day.
My youngest daughter had caps on some of her teeth when
she was 3.
Her teeth do not have normal enamel on them.
They had to fill most of her baby teeth with filler because
they were decaying so fast. Her adult teeth are fine now.

Destiny's family looks like they don't have much money to me
and if that's the case then instead of doing a filling on a
some teeth... it's cheaper to cap them.

I also heard today that they had just moved into this house
a few months ago.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 5yo having capped teeth - and it most certainly is NOT a sign of neglect or of poor attention to dental care.

My oldest had his 4 top front teeth silver capped when he was just 11 months old. His teeth came in very early & fairly decayed from the moment they appeared. This was caused by the disease Early Childhood Caries (ECC), the bacterium Streptococcus mutans. ECC appears on teeth as white spots, plaque deposits, or brown decay and can lead to chips and breakage. Once the pattern of decay begins, it can be rampant and extensive. The Center for Disease Control and the dental and medical communities consider ECC to be the most prevalent infectious disease of American children (five to eight times more common than asthma), with 8.4 percent of all children developing at least one decayed tooth by age two, and 40.4 percent by age five. The CDC discarded the terms "bottle-mouth" and "nursing caries" in 1994, thereby acknowledging ECC as an infectious disease not caused by breast- or bottle-feeding.

The ADA (American Dental Association) however refuses to change it's position and still advises: "A condition called baby bottle tooth decay can destroy a baby's teeth. Examples of bottle-fed liquids that can cause tooth decay are infant formula, fruit juice, milk, breast milk and any sweetened liquid."

(The above is from old notes of mine - if you feel inclined you can do a google search on ECC)

The capping is mostly done to prevent damage to the adult teeth which will come in later. Also to prevent pain and to allow the child to eat normally.

Another child of mine has a capped lower front tooth because half of it broke off when he fell against a kitchen chair.

It's sad to think Destiny had just celebrated her 5th birthday July 16th (Friday).

Tricia said:
Destiny's zip is 84102.

Her full address is;
721 S. 500 EAST.
SALT LAKE CITY UT

Can someone please look up the sex offenders? Let's see how many live by her. This is not considered a good area of the city.
There appear to be about 47-48 offenders within the 84102 zip code alone. There appear to be five with reported residences living along S 500 E (or E 500 S) alone.

I hope she is found soon...

Metal capping on teeth easily seen is cruel in my opinion because the children are made fun of. But medicare pays for it and parents that can't afford a more cosmetic way of preserving the teeth don't have much choice. The child at least was taken to the dentist so her parents did care about her teeth.
I wouldn't base any opinion on this case about her teeth having caps. It is more distressing that she was allowed to leave the house at night and not immediately brought back in. And so recently we have heard of another case where parents claim the child left and now they have confessed to his murder.

Becba said:
. . .I wouldn't base any opinion on this case about her teeth having caps. It is more distressing that she was allowed to leave the house at night and not immediately brought back in. And so recently we have heard of another case where parents claim the child left and now they have confessed to his murder.
I agree and I think the teeth thing has been way overanalyzed since it was not exactly a clue left behind. You jogged my memory. I now remember 2 cases where parents claimed the child left in a huff about some minor thing but later it turned out to not be true. I also remember cases where a woman claimed her child or children had been kidnapped and it later turned out to be untrue. I really hope that in this case it is not the parents or people living in the home with the family (if there are any such people) and I will take a wait & see approach to this case but having read the other similar sounding cases I can't avoid noticing some similar points. I do hope it is all just coincidence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back