Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the photos.

I occasionally drive for Lyft and Uber it would have been against my better judgement to drop a female alone in the park at that hour unless I saw the other person she was meeting. I only drop my riders off in safe locations. I’m very sociable with my riders so I wonder if he or she asked who she was meeting?

Exactly. I mentioned this as well, which is why there must have been some vehicle waiting there and perhaps the driver didn’t get a look bc it was dark, etc.

ETA. Maybe the driver even saw the vehicle drive off, which would be why LE thinks she did not stay there.

Agreed. Plus even if it did take an hour, its only about 10-12 minutes to Hatch Park from SLC airport. That's a lot of time in between. Unless she sat at the airport and was arranging things and had time she needed to waste?
They surely got this information from Lyft so they would also have the pick up at the airport time IMO - that would narrow down the timeline.

I'm betting the Lyft driver saw her get in a vehicle and leave and that's why LE says she left the area IIRC.

I hope her phone records will shed light on this mystery - but: depending on the nature of what was going on here this might not happen...
especially if this is a person who was planning something, intending some abduction, of Kenzie.
Burner phones, & whatever is needed to cover their web presence, etc.

I am focusing on what relationship has this 'gray' area: you don't invite them to your home, but you are comfortable meeting with them @1.30 at, presumably, a deserted park...? Either uncomfortable with them at your home, knowing where you live - or meeting at her place is out of the question (see idea below)

They want to meet up with you, but don't pick you up at the airport - ? Uncomfortable about security, surveillance - and/or worried be seen/recognized. Certainly possible Kenzie already arranged this Lyft thing before hearing from this person - then changed plans to meet up at Hatch park

The 'sugar daddy' angle fits - assuming she was comfortable enough with this SD in question...

It is certainly possible she was having an affair with someone - someone who would not be comfortable meeting up with her in her home or anywhere he might be recognized - or have her friends see her with him, etc.
Presumably he's married or in relationship - so meeting at his place is out of the question, too

He is too paranoid about being seen at airport so he doesn't pick her up
She's been gone a couple days & they really wish to see each other - so they arrange to meet at this park & go to either a regular place, a condo/apartment, or hotel...
JMO just speculation - trying to understand what type of relationship would fit into these circumstances

Sorry if this rambly etc - feeling seriously brain fogged today

That time is very odd. Does the airport stay open all night?

If someone did meet her at the park and it was just a "thing" I think they would be coming forward by now. Telling that they haven't, even if they are married or with someone else it's better to go to LE with what you know now. IMO
My hinky meter is definitely going off. Whoever this person is does not want to come forward.

They surely got this information from Lyft so they would also have the pick up at the airport time IMO - that would narrow down the timeline.

I'm betting the Lyft driver saw her get in a vehicle and leave and that's why LE says she left the area IIRC.
There should have been some time for her to exit the Lyft vehicle with at least her carry-on baggage from the airport and then to load into a new vehicle.

Plenty of time for the Lyft driver to make some observations.

Salt Lake City airport is fairly small and essentially no traffic on the highway in the middle of the night. This dropoff time detail throws me off a little. Unless she spent an hour “getting ready” doing hair/makeup in the airport bathroom.

I agree that it shouldn't have taken that long especially at that time of night. Unless there is a a major delay, in SLC you can get off the plane and get your luggage and be out to the curb within 20-30 minutes. I don't think many, if any, restaurants or shops are open in the airport at that time. The one thing that might have delayed them is road construction. I believe they were closing the ramp from the airport onto east I-80 sometime in June for repairs. They do a lot of road repairs in the middle of the night in SLC on major roads. Perhaps they ran into construction during the Lyft ride.

I apologize if this has been asked/discussed already, but I’m a bit late to the case here: Is there an explanation for why LE has not officially stated where Mackenzie’s drop-off location was? Is it now confirmed to be a park?

TIA!
They didn’t want to say in case this turned into a criminal investigation. But it has been confirmed now.

Well, I tend to text my wife when I touch down at an airport to say landed. But it can take a good 20 minutes to taxi get to the gate, and start offboarding. It can take another good 30-60 minutes to get luggage. If you like airports you may get a coffee or something there as well or visit some restaurant. It could easily have been that long. I waited for a lyft in Vegas one time for 25 minutes and that's a high lyft and uber area. My thought is if she was going to meet someone to drive somewhere else they could have just picked her up at the airport. I think she had a location there to meet someone maybe at the apartments. If they were not aware she was coming this could have launched several scenarios. 1. transient or opportunist took her on her walk to wherever she was going 2. she arrived at a guy's house and he had some other lady there and could have had a crime of passion 3. maybe the person was in the new "Van life" van hanging out in a parking lot there. 4. maybe someone at the airport was with her the whole trip and had her choose the location for them to go to. If this is the case there should be POI photos coming soon. Either way, there is surely surveillance cameras around there. I have one at my home that catches every car that goes by. It stores this info on an SD card for well over a week. I hope police are going door to door to inquire about footage.

I fly all the time and you are right, it can take a bit after touchdown. However there are no restaurants or even coffee shops open in the SLC airport at 1am. 1 hour and 50 minutes from touchdown to the park is still a really long time.

I know that Kenzie was attending her grandma Gerry's funeral in LA that weekend, which of course would be a sad occasion, and she apparently went to LA alone. This could all be overwhelming, especially if someone is already under academic, financial or other kinds of stress.
Do we know how Kenzie responds to stressors? Is she the type to 'bolt', make sudden trips, act impulsively when under stress...
Financially speaking: I wondered if the sudden trip to her Grandma's funeral was within her month's budget.
She would need a round trip plane ticket. Did she have to pay for transport in LA? Was her budget stretched to the limit? I am looking for any possible reason why she would be in a city park at 1:30AM....brainstorming.
If any of these questions are not allowed, please forgive.
My heart goes out to this young lady and her concerned family <3
Just learning of this case, so I’m limited on background info. But if I’m LE, and I hear about a young woman getting dropped off (possibly meeting someone) at a park...the first place I’m looking is at married men she may have worked with at the lab, or come across at school (instructors etc.)

I hope this doesn’t come across as victim blaming, that is not my intention. But when I hear late night/park.... I think two things: drug deal (seems unlikely she would have been dropped off there for that)...or an affair. And therefore, ultimate possible foul play.

I hope I’m wrong, and I hope she is missing voluntarily.

So, if LE knows she left the area for whatever reason, then perhaps their trail has gone cold since the park.

Hoping her phone will tell the story.

If a perp planned to abduct her, then he would know phone records might lead to him. So he would cover his tracks.

Which is why I’m worried phone records may or may not be as helpful as we are hoping.

We will see.

That time is very odd. Does the airport stay open all night?

If someone did meet her at the park and it was just a "thing" I think they would be coming forward by now. Telling that they haven't, even if they are married or with someone else it's better to go to LE with what you know now. IMO
The airport is open all night. It’s an international airport and a HUB for delta, I believe, so it’s always open.

David Begnaud on Twitter
Missing Utah College Student: #MacKenzieLueck
*Police are probing her involvement on dating apps
*She was dropped off at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake City on June 17th at 2:50am
*She took a @lyft to the park
*She missed her midterm final exam + flight home to L.A., yesterday
D92dULyXoAMjCeX.jpg

1:41 PM - 24 Jun 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors