UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's rude, insensitive and well just plain bizarre for JP to bother attending a vigil organized by his missing wife's family in their church--of which his own father so strenuously disapproves--in his missing wife's father's community, and then neither communicate w her family nor speak to this broken father, nor offer any solace, support, comfort nor reassurance to her family nor afford his FIL any opportunity to hold nor speak w his grandson... honestly it just seems sadistic I mean seriously, what was the point. JMO

:parrot:
I agree, kiki!

It's almost as if Josh was thumbing his nose (or flipping them off) without having to raise his arm.

Showing up at the vigil in Washington was the type of thing Drew Peterson would do.

Ok so here is what I was thinking, and trust me, this isn't what I really believe. I am just playing devil's advocate here...

This rental car was during the time that police had the family van in for searching, so that right there would give Josh a plausible excuse for renting the car.

Now my situation is somewhat unique, but I drive a lot and I could easily put at least 200 miles on a car within a 24 hour period. This is because I live somewhat outside of the city, and I play taxi to children as well as working and school.

Does anyone think that Josh could use this type of behavior to explain away mileage? For example, if he still wants to claim dabbling in real estate, he could say I had to drive to such and such to check out a couple of houses. Since I live in Utah, I can tell you that a few trips to south Utah County and back from where Josh lives would easily rack up miles. It is 30-50 miles one way depending on where you are going, and there are residents who make these drives on a daily basis.

Again, this isn't what I really think, but I thought I would throw this out there, because I don't think the rental car will do any good unless LE can tell where it was. Without GPS, my hope in this is fading...

(bbm) Hey sfc, Josh can say w/e Josh wants, LE isn't gonna take his word for anything at this point tho. If possible given recent snow conditions, I'm sure they would've done a soil analysis on tires of van seized. I'm sure they've checked w car rentals to determine if he'd rented any loaners prior to seizing van--if something else might've been driven for disposing eg. I'm sure they have radius/circumpherence mapped out based on exact mileage shown for rental. And not that it would've probably done any good, but I'm sure they've been kicking themselves if they in fact weren't able to install GPS in time on the car he rented... maybe daddy took care of arranging rental?

I hope that I am wrong, but is the police dept working of the Susan Powell case from West Valley City, not SLC?

It is heartbreaking that stories like this keep being repeated, and precious lives are changed forever.

Does anyone know if there is any way to tell how far
a vehicle has traveled in recent days or weeks? I do hope they did a thorough check of his van.

One other thing that seems out of place, is that two little boys can travel 900 miles in a day. As a parent I cannot
imagine trying to drive and care for them at the same time.

Something does not seem right.

God bless the little boys and Susan's parents.

Mindstudent

(bbm) It is West Valley City PD, but I'm sure they also have assistance from other outlying LE agencies, and even WA has reportedly been cooperating.

And WA is quite a distance by car--if that' how JP and the boys travelled. Since JP's dad (SP) was in Utah, they could've feasibly shared the driving back to WA--and traveling w little ones by car overnite you could knock out half of that while they were sleeping. Not easy, but not impossible to do non-stop w two drivers... and lots of snacks, toys etc.

Yes we have seen a constant stream of beautiful wives and mothers so senselessly struck down... there was Nicole, and Laci, and Stacey, and Michelle, Lisa and I could go on and on but even these are but putting a face on thousands more that remain faceless, at times even nameless. Prayers for Susan's little boys, family and loved ones... what a difficult Christmas this will be for her entire family. God bless and comfort them all.
:prayer:

No GPS in rental...

I was reallllllly disappointed to read that there was no GPS tracking in the rental car. However, I wonder if they could take the mileage and by using that, narrow down where she could possibly be.

For instance, if the total miles he put on the rental was 450 miles, they could go 450 miles to the N,S,E,W and encompass a "give or take" area within that radius. IOW, they could do a search 450 miles to the North and search in a 3 mile radius. Then so on and so forth with the other directions.

Is anyone following me or have I been up too late?

<snip> from Angel's link ( http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14042094 )
(

A comment from this link at 12/21/2009 11:56 pm:

"Joshua Powell to confess to killing wife.

Josh is spending a few days with his family before turning himself into
authorities in Utah. He plans to confess to her murder and to lead authorities
to her body shortly after Christmas according to a source close to the Powell family.

“Josh’s main concern is for the boys and having a chance to see his family
before turning himself in. He plans on leaving the boys with his family when
he returns to Utah.” the source stated.

Remember, you read it here first."

I hope this is true!

Dom - That's VERY observant on your part. Most women do not have a "name" for what they are going through. I have found that time and time again. They didn't know WHAT it was they were going through... only that it wasn't normal. The abuser psychologically tries to put the victim in a state that they start to really wonder what's going on in their own reality. It's called "crazymaking". You are so right..... I'm certain a lot of people did not know what it was that Susan was going through. What I would like to see is that when a woman does go to her bishop (add any church leader in any religion) that the bishop is able to determine after just 3 or 4 sessions that the woman needs to see a professional counselor that can then determine if this is an abuse issue. Once a woman "names" what she is going through... and only then... can progress be made. Honestly, I applaud you for recognizing that people didn't know... what it was that was happening to Susan....

So thankful this is being discussed. Crazymaking, keeping someone off-balance one way or another on a continuous basis is definitely what is done to manipulate you, and used often by abusers and narcissists. They can make you feel guilty you did something wrong on a daily basis. They can start a fight (on purpose) then storm out leaving you crying all night while they are actually having fun doing what they intended to do, and you feel guilty somehow. It's especially useful if there's a religious belief by the victim that one should love unconditionally and have endless forgiveness and patience.

Abused people are usually ashamed to tell anyone what's going on. Sometimes the abuse is not so much physical as mental which makes the victim of abuse unable to see the reality of the controlling manipulation they are under or to find a way out.

I guess the only thing you can do is be the kind of friend that is real enough that others find it easy to open up to you.

Someone like Josh could easily have kept Susan off-balance without actually beating her. Believe me, narcissists often think it's fun to push someone else's buttons diabolically, and have a secret smirk. It makes me sick that Susan was trying so hard in her marriage when Josh was possibly planning her demise.

"Here Dear, I made you these nice pancakes and juice because I'm such a loving husband."

to her body shortly after Christmas according to a source close to the Powell family.

I hope this is true!
Oh, how I hope it is true, too.

Dom - Domestic Violence is not a marital problem and shouldn't be treated as such. It's very dangerous to put a couple into "marital/couples counseling" when there is abuse suspected. Marital counseling assumes that there are issues with both individuals that jointly worked with, can enhance and improve the marriage. Here is a link to a copy of a report written by a licensed clinical psychologist listing the reasons why marital counseling should never be used in a suspected abusive marriage, it's very interesting folks:

http://unrighteous-dominion.com/?p=105

Thank You for the above article link. I agreed with all the reasons why a couple in a domestic violence/abuse pattern should not go to general marriage/couples counseling, but see a Domestic Abuse Counselor. But would Susan define her husband as abusive, or would she see it as more of a controlling problem. Seeking out an Domestic Violence counselor would mean she'd have to see it as that. Did she? I guess that's the shocking part so far, kinda like Scott Peterson, Josh isn't a beat her up kind of guy. No, they don't seem that dangerous then up and kill their loving wife.

I hope this is true!

Another disappearing post, but the "Remember, you read it here first" among other aspects reeks of a troll to me.

I think this is the story Texas Mist referred to...

http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_14039869

I've been slow to catch up on this case - managed to read through all three threads last night.

Something I'm still fascinated with is the "sneer" in the blue-cap interview. If I remember correctly, I've heard body language profilers say that the lip will often curl back when a person is recalling something that disgusted them. JP does have that "mouth-breather" appearance about him -- and maybe I'm imagining things, but when watching the uncut interview it seems to me he really prominently pulls back his lip at a couple of different points (and it happens at times when he is *not* speaking - just as reactionary expressions)... see what you think:

http://connect2utah.com/content/video/?cid=67882

Watch how both corners of his lips curl back at [2:05] at the mention of "your wife" by the interviewer, then again at [2:52] at the mention of the the words "foul play". (I can only imagine what could have been running through his head on the topic of "foul play".)

One more observation about this footage... I get heebie-jeebies at [5:10] when JP says: "I'm just trying to figure out what I can do.. and... Both to try to find her and to take care of life in general." (Italics added for emphasis)

The way say he says "BOTH"..."AND"... seems as if he is treating "take care of life in general" as mutually exclusive of "find her". In his mind, he's drawing a contrast between finding her and life, IMO.

Okay, I am just catching up after a long night at work, and baking cookies....

This is a very astute observation. It clearly shows why this guy gives us all the heebies.

Its amazing what is coming out.

I can't believe the tool went to the vigil, either. He just butted in! Everyone would have understood if he stayed home and waited by the phone or took a few of his friends and family out looking for Susan.

He can't take care of the kids, or take care of himself, thats why he's there.
What purpose did it serve, other than making everyone more suspicious of him, to go to the vigil.

Now, I will go back to page 33 and continue reading.

Interesting -- no big frown on Josh's face -- at least what they're showing... does anybody else think his face looks more relaxed in the video here?

http://www.king5.com/news/Husband-of-missing-Utah-woman-attends-vigil-in-Puyallup-79816897.html

Shades of Scott Peterson?

Powell and his son stood away from the main podium during the proceedings, and afterward remained silent for the most part, often surrounded by a wall of umbrellas erected by family friends.

Scottie boy stood away from the main podium during Laci's vigil, also. Instead, he opted to chat and laugh with friends and spoke with some of the children attending. See picture here:

http://www.findlaci2003.us/evidence-pictures-trial4.html

Even tho Josh isn't smiling, he's going thru the motions.

On Christmas Eve it will be 7 years since Laci Peterson was murdered. Laci was all about family and friends, and I believe that Laci's love for her friends spread out thru the world. When Laci's search began I came to Websleuths and I have been here ever since. God Bless Laci and Conner, and all the friends that I have made here.

December 21st, 2009 @ 11:02pm
Police: Husband put hundreds of miles on rental car days after wife went missing

WEST VALLEY CITY - It's been two weeks since anyone last saw Susan Powell. Now police are questioning why her husband, Josh Powell, put several hundred miles on a rental vehicle just days after she went missing.

The Deseret News also reports that there is no GPS data stored in the car, so there is no way to track where it went. The only person who would know that is Josh Powell, and he is still not being very open with police.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9105519

December 21st, 2009 @ 11:02pm
Police: Husband put hundreds of miles on rental car days after wife went missing

WEST VALLEY CITY - It's been two weeks since anyone last saw Susan Powell. Now police are questioning why her husband, Josh Powell, put several hundred miles on a rental vehicle just days after she went missing.

The Deseret News also reports that there is no GPS data stored in the car, so there is no way to track where it went. The only person who would know that is Josh Powell, and he is still not being very open with police.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9105519

So I guess that proves that LE was NOT following Josh. How sad! His wife is missing and he can just vanish for 24 hours and LE has no clue as to his whereabouts! My guess is that he went back to the location that he dumped Susan's body...to either check to see if he did a good enough job concealing it or perhaps to move it.

If my wife was missing, I would think that the LE would be tracking my every move. However Josh doesn't seem too bright. Sadly he could have gone back to where the body was and LE wasn't following him at all!

It appears as though Susan has very fine hair. In some photos it looks fuller, probably because of a perm. My hair is the same way, baby fine and unless I get a perm and have some fullness, it looks thin.

More photos of Susan here: http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Susan Powell/

I agree. Her hair just looks very fine. Also, I'm taking into consideration that her father is for the most part, bald and her mother appeared to have somewhat thin hair.

Susan Powell had formulated escape plan, friends say

A year before she disappeared, Susan Powell told a wide circle of friends she was preparing for the worst if she sought a divorce: that her husband might try to kidnap their sons and break her financially.

She said she had set up a separate bank account, arranged a place to stay if she decided to leave, and had informally written a will, according to friends who requested anonymity because they are not authorized by police to speak about the investigation. And Susan Powell made sure many knew of her preparations.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14042094

Susan Powell had formulated escape plan, friends say

A year before she disappeared, Susan Powell told a wide circle of friends she was preparing for the worst if she sought a divorce: that her husband might try to kidnap their sons and break her financially.

She said she had set up a separate bank account, arranged a place to stay if she decided to leave, and had informally written a will, according to friends who requested anonymity because they are not authorized by police to speak about the investigation. And Susan Powell made sure many knew of her preparations.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14042094

She did everything right, but looks like Josh found out some how or she told him she was all ready to leave after the holiday!!!!
NEVER THREATEN OR TELL just LEAVE!!!!

I hope this is true!

How nice of him to think of himself and his boys spending christmas together. too bad he didn't think of susan spending christmas with the boys before he killed her!!

I hope it is a true statement though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member