VA VA - Codi Bigsby, 4, last seen at dad's home, Cory Bigsby (dad) named as POI, Hampton, 31 Jan 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to sources, the charges stem from incidents dating back to December. It is not clear, however, if the charges are in connection to Codi’s disappearance.

Codi Bigsby case: father of missing Hampton four-year-old arrested on seven counts of child neglect | WAVY.com
Also from your link:

He is expected to be in court on Friday morning to be arraigned.

10 On Your Side confirmed on Thursday afternoon that an attorney, Jeffrey Ambrose, had been retained for Cory Bigsby, although Bigsby had not yet told police he requested an attorney. The attorney said they were directed to the Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office and had not yet spoken with Bigsby.

Lol, just own your excellent intuitive skills, girl! :cool:

I've been trying to find links to an arrest roster and court dockets but haven't had any luck. The sheriff's office doesn't have an online search. Any other place to look?
Me either. I did find a way in the other day but didn't save it, so not sure how I got there now!

Last edited:
Maybe it's false hope but I'm not 100% convinced Bigsby's rights have been violated by LE refusing the lawyer access to him. Technically it's up to Bigsby to request a lawyer and up until the moment they arrested him he was free to voluntarily cooperate. IOW he could walk out of the interview.

Now, once he was arrested things may have changed so LE may no longer have been able to keep the lawyer out. And if they did then it could be a problem. I just don't see the detectives making such a serious blunder. All MOO.

I'm sure we'll hear more about it soon.

As most of us probably expected, Codi may not have been seen by anyone outside his household 'around' the time he went missing.
This isn't going to end well at all.
:(
What's wrong with all these people?
Some days I just can't.
Chi

Maybe it's false hope but I'm not 100% convinced Bigsby's rights have been violated by LE refusing the lawyer access to him. Technically it's up to Bigsby to request a lawyer and up until the moment they arrested him he was free to voluntarily cooperate. IOW he could walk out of the interview.

Now, once he was arrested things may have changed so LE may no longer have been able to keep the lawyer out. And if they did then it could be a problem. I just don't see the detectives making such a serious blunder. All MOO.

I'm sure we'll hear more about it soon.
Yeah, I’m curious about the legality too, when, technically, you haven’t requested a lawyer but a lawyer has been retained (paid for) in your behalf and LE will not allow the lawyer to see you.

Press Release is out

Update on the Codi Bigsby Investigation: February 3, 2022
As a result of the investigation, Mr. Cory Bigsby is now under arrest. He has been transported to adult intake where he has been charged with seven counts of felony child neglect. This is not the conclusion of the investigative process — we will continue to do everything in our power to find Codi.

Members of the media are invited to attend a press conference scheduled on Friday, February 4, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. at the Rupert Sergeant Building located at 1 Franklin Street in Hampton, Virginia. Chief Talbot will be in attendance along with our partners at the FBI and the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

Yeah, I’m curious about the legality too, when, technically, you haven’t requested a lawyer but a lawyer has been retained (paid for) in your behalf and LE will not allow the lawyer to see you.
Lately I've been re-watching old LE interviews on YT where the interviewees were ultimately arrested, tried and convicted, just to observe how people lie. In the ones where perps initially talked to detectives on a voluntary basis LE did advise them of their rights, even though they weren't being arrested yet. In one Florida case they had the person (Lonna Barton) sign a waiver, even though she wasn't under arrest. Interestingly, almost all perps chose to continue speaking to detectives, warned or not, albeit they mostly told lies. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's possible LE apprised Bigsby of his rights and Bigsby decided not to stop talking. IMO his error, not LE's. IMO some people think they can outsmart the law.

I have a feeling they sat on these charges since Cory was there on his own free will but once the Attorney showed up they had to do something to keep him there and keep pressure on him. IMO
As most of us probably expected, Codi may not have been seen by anyone outside his household 'around' the time he went missing.
This isn't going to end well at all.
:(
What's wrong with all these people?
Some days I just can't.
Chi

Sometimes I don't know why I follow these cases. They are so devasting. But then I think ... what if no one cared?

This case is devastating, yet the Taylor children case looks like it's more horrific by a mile, if that's possible.
CA - Maurice Taylor Jr, 12 & Maliaka Taylor, 13, decapitated, Lancaster, Dec 2020 *parents arrested*

When will these horrific cases end? Why do some humans suck so much??

Lately I've been re-watching old LE interviews on YT where the interviewees were ultimately arrested, tried and convicted, just to observe how people lie. In the ones where perps initially talked to detectives on a voluntary basis LE did advise them of their rights, even though they weren't being arrested yet. In one Florida case they had the person (Lonna Barton) sign a waiver, even though she wasn't under arrest. Interestingly, almost all perps chose to continue speaking to detectives, warned or not, albeit they mostly told lies. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's possible LE apprised Bigsby of his rights and Bigsby decided not to stop talking. IMO his error, not LE's. IMO some people think they can outsmart the law.
Ugh don't get me started on Lonna Barton.

I swear I didn't see this before I posted above!!

Aesia Toliver @AesiaWAVY

#BREAKING An official source tells me Cory Bigsby has been arrested on 7 counts of child neglect stemming from incidents going back to December. He will be in court tomorrow morning for his arraignment.
7 counts is a lot. But 7 counts in ~1-2 months??? That's a whole LOT of bad stuff going on.

I worry about that, too. Except it doesn’t seem like he’s giving LE any information about where Codi is located.
I’m not as worried (attorney here). The person under suspicion has to ask for counsel. Not that person’s family. The constitutional right belongs to “the accused” not the family. I’m guessing LE here made sure the voluntariness of Cody’s speaking to LE was well documented - I’ve been impressed by their professionalism - how quickly they mobilized, called in the FBI, etc. I’m guessing they likely taped the interviews or got a written waiver.

That doesn’t mean that the defense won’t make hay of it, but legally LE is pretty solid. My 2 cents.

The more I think about his family hiring an attorney for him, the madder I get. Where were they when there was a sad-eyed, hopeless child that needed their help. When they handing seen him since Christmas. They clearly have some means and involvement with this family if they hired an attorney. With this level of denial, I hope these family members don’t get custody of the siblings.

ETA - someone earlier in the thread said they thought he was there “voluntarily” until he tried to leave (or got an attorney).
Found it! Looks like that is exactly what happened.
I'm a bettin, if he tried to leave, HPD would rehome him with a bed and meals.

Last edited:
This is not sounding good at all. Has anyone who lives in the complex been interviewed by media yet?
There was the woman who lived across the street, one that's participating in the searches (I think she lives in the complex?) and Frank, who has also been searching. Not sure if Frank lives in the complex.
Codi Bigsby case: Lawyer retained for father of missing Hampton 4-year-old as search grows | WAVY.com

10 On Your Side confirmed on Thursday afternoon that an attorney, Jeffrey Ambrose, had been retained for Cory Bigsby, although Bigsby had not yet told police he requested an attorney. The attorney said they were directed to the Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office and had not yet spoken with Bigsby.
I'm not sure I want to know what these incidents entailed. :( MOO

From the article:

Thursday night, 10 On Your Side learned Bigsby had been charged with seven counts of child neglect. The charges stem from incidents dating back to December.

Attorney Jeffrey Ambrose confirmed to 10 On Your Side’s investigative team that he has been retained to represent Cory Bigsby, but that he had not been able to meet with him as of Thursday evening. Ambrose said that he went to the Hampton Police Division in person to speak with Bigsby, but was declined access to him. Police told Ambrose that Bigsby had not requested an attorney, according to the lawyer. Ambrose was directed to contact the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.

Sometimes I don't know why I follow these cases. They are so devasting. But then I think ... what if no one cared?

This case is devastating, yet the Taylor children case looks like it's more horrific by a mile, if that's possible.
CA - Maurice Taylor Jr, 12 & Maliaka Taylor, 13, decapitated, Lancaster, Dec 2020 *parents arrested*

When will these horrific cases end? Why do some humans suck so much??
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Just so disheartened and downtrodden tonight. It’s so much easier to just be kind and give yourself to help others instead of hurt them. I can only hope things get better from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama