WA WA - Jean-marc Faubert, 28, Burlington, 25 May 2018

IMO, it may have been clear (not bizarre) to LE & the Navy from the start, or from very shortly after they started investigating.

Lack of public updates from official sources is always very frustrating for sure, but it happens more often than not when military is involved, in my observation.

Oh yes. We on the outside have no way of knowing how the internal investigation is going. But in the case of military investigations of missing persons, these can remain open for years or even decades, so I was a bit surprised to read that he's possibly going to be "considered" dead so soon. (Still waiting for some official confirmation on that though.)

Has anyone ever known Facebook to memorialize an account and the person really isn't dead? I found it disconcerting when I went to Jean-Marc's page today and saw that....

Has anyone ever known Facebook to memorialize an account and the person really isn't dead? I found it disconcerting when I went to Jean-Marc's page today and saw that....

Slightly OT:
It can actually be annoyingly and frustratingly difficult to get FB to ‘memorialize’ an account, even when one is officially next of kin and has a death certificate in hand :( which I learned from personal unhappy experience.

Slightly OT:
It can actually be annoyingly and frustratingly difficult to get FB to ‘memorialize’ an account, even when one is officially next of kin and has a death certificate in hand :( which I learned from personal unhappy experience.

One can create a legacy contact to attend to their facebook page after they have died...

What will happen to my Facebook account if I pass away? | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

What is a legacy contact and what can they do? | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

Was his girlfriend/fiance the legacy contact?

To even get someones facebook memorialized it is claimed one must provide a scan or photo of their loved one's obituary, death certificate, memorial card or other documentation confirming that they've passed away. The information on the documentation provided must match the information on your loved one's account.

How do I report a deceased person or an account on Facebook that needs to be memorialized? | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

Facebook won't memorialize or delete the account if someone is just missing or assumed dead. There has to be proof someone has died which leads me to wonder...

Was forged/faked documents uploaded? No obituary or proof of death has yet to appear in public.

Does facebook automatically memorialize a page if the legacy account holder claims you're dead? Don't they have to show proof of your death?

If one becomes part of an intelligence agency or witness protection program and is taking on a new identity and leaving their old life behind, can they fake their own death? Will facebook help them do it?

Last edited:
I'm bewildered at all the suspicion.

It's what we do here; we look at cases from every angle until there's a resolution. As to what people are saying on other sites, I personally can't speak to that. *shrug*

Perhaps it's because there isn't one right way to grieve?

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
For the love of God, stop talking about her.

As I understand the rules of the forum, it’s fine to discuss people connected to the victim as long as the discussion remains centered on the victim and doesn’t become all about the other person. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to discuss sleuthing theories.
But I will flag this post for a mod to clarify.

Edit: here is the relevant rule, from the “Victim Friendly” header:
“Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.”

Last edited:
As far as I am aware there are no POIs or suspects in this case. Therefore the following rules apply:

Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them.

The red portion of this rule means that facebook belonging to those the victim knew are not allowed to be sleuthed and discussed unless the person has been designated as a suspect by LE. The rule extends to their lives in general and aspersions regarding how they are behaving etc.

That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.
Rules - Etiquette & Information

The rule above applies when a family member or friend of the victim is interviewed in the media (MSM- mainstream media) then their statements may be discussed. The information must come from MSM or LE. But again only those statements may be discussed and that does not give carte blanche to sleuth their facebook and lives.

If you can’t link it (i.e. MSM, LE, public documents), don’t post it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back