WA WA - Kent, UnsFem 13-24, UP9930, SK G Ridgeway Victim "B20", Aug'03 - Tammie Liles

Jane Doe B-20 has been unidentified for 15 years today.

I wonder why the estimated year of death is anywhere from 1973-1993. Like what method determined that. His supposed last victim was in 1998 and it makes me wonder if there was any others more recent mid-late 90's.

There's not a ton of information out there, and it doesn't help that the remains are incomplete, but she is believed to have been killed in the earlier half of that estimate, during the first decade of his murders. But his first known/confessed victim is in 1982, and his killings, while legion, are hugely concentrated between July 1982 and March of 1984. 42 of 49 victims, with a further two Jane Does believed to have been killed in roughly that time period, and an additional murder, again, in that time period, to which he has confessed but for which they cannot find a body (Kase Ann Lee), with something similar to another probable victim (Kelly Kay McGinnis). He killed victims in separate attacks on the same day or with only days between attacks. So, based on that alone, statistically, this Jane would be from that time period. Also, the hugely disrupted condition of the remains, with so few bones surviving, may agree with that conclusion. Beyond that, the wear and exposure on the bones themselves and the specifics of Ridgeway's confession (I'm frankly amazed that he seems to have remembered as much as he did about so many women) may lead them to believe that they are from longer ago.

This is very much a side note, but, as much as I enjoyed profiling books like Mindhunter and Whoever Hunts Monsters, I can't help but think that the information Ressler, Douglas, etc. learned was very biased both by the available sample pool (i.e., killers who ended up getting caught) and the killers they found more interesting (intelligent/charismatic/willing to speak with them/white/male). The assumption was that a serial killer would compulsively keep killing until he kept decompensating and got caught. However, this obviously doesn't describe men like Ridgeway and the Golden State Killer, who eventually may have had their rage lessen and/or become physically unable to continue violent personal assaults. Ridgeway was not suspected of his murders that occurred after 1984 until he confessed to them; it was believed that he had died, moved, or possibly even become disabled after the 1982-1984 murders--same for GSK. After reading those books, I looked up some of the cases described to learn more about them; some had later been overturned on DNA evidence or had other doubts cast on their conclusions. It's made me question many of the assumptions we make as true crime buffs about serial killers.

Exclusions 6/21/21:

Missing Person / NamUs # MP21953
Linda Adams, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 1, 1978
State WA
County Yakima

Missing Person / NamUs # MP2301
Misty Copsey, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact September 17, 1992
State WA
County Pierce

Missing Person / NamUs # MP5814
Andria Bailey, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact October 29, 1979
State WA
County Pierce

Missing Person / NamUs # MP14131
Kelly McGinness, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 28, 1983
State WA
County King

Missing Person / NamUs # MP11096
Deborah Tomlinson, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact October 15, 1973
State OR
County Lane

Missing Person / NamUs # MP7131
Cora McGuirk, Female, Black / African American
Date of Last Contact July 8, 1991
State WA
County King

Apologies if incorrect as I have doubts. Archived article:

Remains found at a wooded site south of here last weekend were identified Monday as those of a 16-year-old girl who has been listed as a victim of the Green River killer since her disappearance in October 1983.

The skeletal remains of Pammy Annette Avent of Seattle were found near Enumclaw, about 40 feet from Highway 410 and just east of milepost 26, by detectives on the Green River Task Force.
Bones found over weekend identified as teen from list

This victim is not Pammy Avent, who was identified very soon after her remains were recovered in 2003. In the lead-up to his sentencing, Ridgway led investigators to the remains of four girls: Pammy, Marie Malvar, April Buttram, and this decedent, who is still unidentified.

Exclusions 6/21/21:

Missing Person / NamUs # MP21953
Linda Adams, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 1, 1978
State WA
County Yakima

Missing Person / NamUs # MP2301
Misty Copsey, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact September 17, 1992
State WA
County Pierce

Missing Person / NamUs # MP5814