WA WA - Laura Macke, Hiking Alone @ Enchanted Valley, Camping at Pyrites Creek, 30. Oct 2022

When an assessment is done on the probability of survival, it's a tough decision for the person in charge to pull back searchers. In regions such as this, it goes from rescue to a recovery effort, then to a search down the road when conditions allow or evidence is found to deploy SAR again. Super sad. imo

Nov 16, 2022 article - mentions how many agencies were involved and search will continue as conditions warrant.

[…]

Olympic National Park officials said Nov. 10 the search had “moved into a limited and continuous operation.”

[…]

Officials said precipitation and snowfall made it challenging to incorporate aviation into the search effort. There was 12 inches of accumulated snow in the Enchanted Valley area overnight between Nov. 6 and Nov. 7, with temperatures near freezing at Lake Quinault and below freezing in the search area.

[…]

Someone asked me how to build an emergency fire in the woods, when there’s a lot of damp stuff. Here ya go!

I recommend taking the fire starter, though: cotton balls dipped in vaseline and kept in a baggie will help.

March 16, 2023 - found an update. Family planned a volunteer search on March 24 and 25. I haven’t yet found report of their efforts.

[…]

Ferns and major ground coverage that is typically thick in this area are short at this time. There has been some snow, but it is warming up and the river levels are lower than usual.

[…]

I wonder how many people have disappeared in Quinault, WA, and Olympic park area in general. Is it within the statistic, or outside of it? Given that one of the persons whose thread I am follow, Donna VanZandt, has also been listed as disappearance in Quinault area, what with the persons being different, I wonder if a perpetrator could have a lair in that neighborhood. It is a large park and a touristy area, but for this very reason, disappearances might be viewed as “natural”, “lost the way”. Not everyone would pay attention to a predator masked like a tourist, either, in a state where hiking and biking are so popular.

Thread 'WA - Donna Van Zandt, 33, Quinault, April 2014'
WA - WA - Donna Van Zandt, 33, Quinault, April 2014

I wonder how many people have disappeared in Quinault, WA, and Olympic park area in general. Is it within the statistic, or outside of it? Given that one of the persons whose thread I am follow, Donna VanZandt, has also been listed as disappearance in Quinault area, what with the persons being different, I wonder if a perpetrator could have a lair in that neighborhood. It is a large park and a touristy area, but for this very reason, disappearances might be viewed as “natural”, “lost the way”. Not everyone would pay attention to a predator masked like a tourist, either, in a state where hiking and biking are so popular.

Another missing woman in the Olympic National Park area was Lena Lang.

Another missing woman in the Olympic National Park area was Lena Lang.

My family is from Washington. I remember the Lena Lang case. Crescent Lake is deceptively cold, even on warm weather days, and can get some pretty significant chop on it with the winds. When I saw she was on an inflatable without a life vest on, I assumed she likely ended up in the water and perished. She wasn't the first recently. Here's an article on the last one with the cautions about that particular area. Fatality at Lake Crescent - Olympic National Park (U.S. National Park Service).

Bumping for Laura - I hope she is found and brought home to her family.

Delmar Sample’s car was found right at lake Quinault (although he was never actually seen there and it may have been moved to the location), and Gilbert Gilman disappeared in the park very close to there.

There’s a 50/50-ish chance that Delmar was an Israel Keyes victim, but Gilbert almost definitely was not. Both cases are really strange, though for different reasons.

Here is one thing I definitely remember about Crescent Lake: almost no cell phone reception. I think it is on purpose, no TV, no cell phones, no motor boats, to bring people closer to nature. I Googled as we went there once years ago, only to confirm that cell phone reception in the whole Olympic National Park is spotty, and I mean, unbelievably spotty. Even in more touristy parts, it was almost no one and very few areas for the tourists to intersect. Something to consider. Whether lost or something else, it would be next to impossible to call for help.

This is concerning. Donna Van Zandt and Laura Macke disappeared in the same general area and they are of the same demographic

Here is one thing I definitely remember about Crescent Lake: almost no cell phone reception. I think it is on purpose, no TV, no cell phones, no motor boats, to bring people closer to nature. I Googled as we went there once years ago, only to confirm that cell phone reception in the whole Olympic National Park is spotty, and I mean, unbelievably spotty. Even in more touristy parts, it was almost no one and very few areas for the tourists to intersect. Something to consider. Whether lost or something else, it would be next to impossible to call for help.

Where did you see that motor boats aren't allowed? (I was curious since Israel Keyes confessed to dumping a body in Crescent Lake using his motor boat, so your comment caught my eye.) I don't see any mention of motor boats not allowed on the National Park website. I did see a mention that motor boats can't go more than 5 mph withink 300 feet of shore.

This is just based on personal experience, but I have always felt very on edge and vulnerable in this area, even with my large (and armed) male partner. I would never feel safe there alone

Where did you see that motor boats aren't allowed? (I was curious since Israel Keyes confessed to dumping a body in Crescent Lake using his motor boat, so your comment caught my eye.) I don't see any mention of motor boats not allowed on the National Park website. I did see a mention that motor boats can't go more than 5 mph withink 300 feet of shore.

We stayed at Lake Crescent Lodge many years ago. The reality was, we were told, no motor boats, even with paddle boats there were some rules. In the brochure it was said motorboats no more than 5 mph. The limitations are obscured beyond newest hurricane warnings, so the moment they become available, I shall post them. There is a warning about lack of internet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back