WA WA - Oakley Carlson, 5, missing during welfare check, Oakville, 10 Feb 2021 *mom guilty, identity theft*

I happen to live in the area all my life. My husband informed me that the father worked with him but quit all of a sudden . I will ask him tomorrow what month he left.

Hi @madibabe , that could certainly help with a timeline. I think we're looking for a pattern of behavior more than a timeline of events.

How deep is the Chehalis in this area? How are the currents? Based on Google Street View, it looks kind of calm to be so close to the Pacific. I can see that the water is moving, but I can't discern any strong currents or eddies on the surface. Any history of bodies being disposed of in the river?

This bridge in particular looks ideally remote. (House address is: 177 Bartell Rd, Oakville, WA 98568 for reference.)https://www.google.com/maps/@46.829...Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e2?hl=en&authuser=0

Hi @madibabe , that could certainly help with a timeline. I think we're looking for a pattern of behavior more than a timeline of events.

How deep is the Chehalis in this area? How are the currents? Based on Google Street View, it looks kind of calm to be so close to the Pacific. I can see that the water is moving, but I can't discern any strong currents or eddies on the surface. Any history of bodies being disposed of in the river?

This bridge in particular looks ideally remote. (House address is: 177 Bartell Rd, Oakville, WA 98568 for reference.)

This is a heavily forested rural area and there are so many places one could dispose of a body. Capitol Forest just to name one.

The rivers around here are usually heavily fished and I don't think they would be a "go to" place to hide a body with so much forest around. Even their own property is heavily wooded. She could have been killed so long ago, which would have given ample time and a multitude of ways to dispose or her. :( MOO

The rivers around here are usually heavily fished and I don't think they would be a "go to" place to hide a body with so much forest around. Even their own property is heavily wooded. She could have been killed so long ago, which would have given ample time and a multitude of ways to dispose or her. :( MOO

That's partially why I was looking at disposal sites away from the home. Places that are much harder to search. The farm is so remote a doubt they have trash pick up so you can rule that out as a method. That far out I'd call fire the best disposal method, you have the time to get it big enough and keep it going long enough to burn everything.

Did I read something about ashes in one of the articles?

That's partially why I was looking at disposal sites away from the home. Places that are much harder to search. The farm is so remote a doubt they have trash pick up so you can rule that out as a method. That far out I'd call fire the best disposal method, you have the time to get it big enough and keep it going long enough to burn everything.

Did I read something about ashes in one of the articles?

She could have been burned in a fire pit for all we know. I haven't read anything about them finding ashes. I would love to see it, if anyone has. My understanding is people in the town were helping them rebuild and clean up their house. I don't know how far they got or if the couch and other damaged items were disposed of. Fire inspector said he believed the fire started in the microwave and not on the couch. I'm assuming the inspection was recent, so clearly there was something left to see. And the family was still living in a hotel. I'm sure they are doing DNA testing on the blood found also.

A news reporter for KING 5 has shared this on Twitter. It's a statement from Oakley's grandparents.

https://twitter.com/drewmikkelsenk5/status/1471171092098150400

Sd4id0R.jpg

Citizens lobby lawmakers for change in light of Oakley Carlson's disappearance (q13fox.com)

"For Smith, Oakley’s story is personal. She operates Learning to Grow Child Care in Elma where the little girl was cared for during her time with her foster parents.

"I keep thinking ‘was there something we could have done?’" Smith asked.

Smith did file a letter with the courts supporting Oakley’s foster parents and pleading against her biological parents, Jordan Bowers and Andrew Carlson, from getting custody.

"We knew the family history. We were not convinced. We sadly wrote in the letter that it would be catastrophic to make the move back to the bio family," Smith said."

Oakley's former childcare (while in foster care) even filed a letter with the courts expressing their concerns over reunification. They don't listen to what anyone else thinks or says. I've never heard of one foster families' concern being taken into consideration. Even though they tell you to advocate for these children they don't allow you to, and even worse, they often threaten you with retaliation if you speak up too much. And the OMBUDS (oversight office) is no help. Most people that file a concern or complaint with them, never even get a response.

Man, did the parents really worked that hard to get Oakley back or did CPS/Court really just didn't care about what EVERYONE was saying? I can't understand how this even happens.
This is the norm. The #1 goal is always reunification and parents are given chance after chance and only have to do a bare minimum to get their children back. Foster parents and those who "aren't a party to the case" are not listened to. People who haven't seen it firsthand, really have no idea what goes on. Listen in on some Family dependency court hearings and you will see.

I feel bad for the Grandparents. My understanding is that they had contacted CPS and the parents found out and stopped them from seeing the kids. Nothing they could do. Another big flaw in the system.
This is why I would hope it could be reported to LE and they would step in….get eyes on the child, get CPS in motion if thats even possible. Its like the abusive parents had total control of their victims and quite frankly knew it. Hypothetically, if one of my grand children disappeared or I suspected abuse you couldn't shut me up and the media and LE would be my main source of advocacy. JMO.

This is why I would hope it could be reported to LE and they would step in….get eyes on the child, get CPS in motion if thats even possible. Its like the abusive parents had total control of their victims and quite frankly knew it. Hypothetically, if one of my grand children disappeared or I suspected abuse you couldn't shut me up and the media and LE would be my main source of advocacy. JMO.

I would be the same, but without knowing all the specifics, we really don't know what the family did or didn't do. I just know that a lot of people are wanting to put blame on them. I'm saying...not so fast. They may have contacted CPS (possibly LE) many times. The foster family and others obviously tried to protect her from the parents to no avail.

Missing Oakley Carlson’s sister, 6, tells cops ‘she’s been eaten by wolves’ and says ‘mom told her to keep quiet’ - New York Times Post

I keep coming back to part of what Oakley's sister told police:

Oakley Carlson’s sister has reportedly told cops her sibling had been eaten by wolves — and claimed her mom told her to keep quiet

My gut reaction is that there's some truth to this. Maybe she wasn't literally eaten by wolves :( but that she's in those woods somewhere.

Missing Oakley Carlson’s sister, 6, tells cops ‘she’s been eaten by wolves’ and says ‘mom told her to keep quiet’ - New York Times Post

I keep coming back to part of what Oakley's sister told police:

My gut reaction is that there's some truth to this. Maybe she wasn't literally eaten by wolves :( but that she's in those woods somewhere.

I had that thought also. I also wonder if the Mom may have started that herself and that was a slip-up saying 3 kids (not 4) made it out of the fire safely. There were 4 kids there the day of the fire. The Mom's older son (who the father has custody of) spends weekends with his Mom and was there also (confirmed by his Aunt/Father's sister).

I feel bad for the Grandparents. My understanding is that they had contacted CPS and the parents found out and stopped them from seeing the kids. Nothing they could do. Another big flaw in the system.

Question. In my neck of the woods, CPS tries to place a child with a fit family member within a few days of removal, generally the grandparents. Does WA not do that? Or are the grandparents elderly?

Question. In my neck of the woods, CPS tries to place a child with a fit family member within a few days of removal, generally the grandparents. Does WA not do that? Or are the grandparents elderly?
They usually do try to find a suitable relative. I don't know any specifics about the Grandparents. Perhaps they didn't feel it was safe.

In my experience, not always. I live in WA and last year, a relative had her baby removed from her home due to drug abuse. CPS contacted some family members to ask if we would take the baby. My spouse and I said we would happily take the baby into our home. CPS said they'd get back to us, but we never heard from them again. This was all over the phone. They never came to our house or met with us at all. We later learned the baby was placed with a non-relative foster family. I don't understand why.

In my experience, not always. I live in WA and last year, a relative had her baby removed from her home due to drug abuse. CPS contacted some family members to ask if we would take the baby. My spouse and I said we would happily take the baby into our home. CPS said they'd get back to us, but we never heard from them again. This was all over the phone. They never came to our house or met with us at all. We later learned the baby was placed with a non-relative foster family. I don't understand why.
The parents do get a say in where the child goes (believe it or not). It's possible the relative chose a foster home over family.

The parents do get a say in where the child goes (believe it or not). It's possible the relative chose a foster home over family.

If the parents do get a say, perhaps that's what happened in my case and in Oakley's case. Maybe Oakley's parents didn't want her to be with the grandparents, and so that's how she ended up with a non-relative foster family.

If the parents do get a say, perhaps that's what happened in my case and in Oakley's case. Maybe Oakley's parents didn't want her to be with the grandparents, and so that's how she ended up with a non-relative foster family.
That happens a lot and happened with one child that I had. His Aunt wanted to take him but since the parents knew she was the one who called CPS the parents wouldn't allow it and opted for a foster home. So, he came to me. The Aunt was an amazing person, and the judge did allow her to visit with the child, which I was happy for.
ETA: The parents were furious that the judge allowed her to visit. And yes, that very well could be why family didn't take Oakley. Very common especially if family is the one who calls CPS.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back