WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the mods for the Lyle Stevik Subreddit. What info would you like? :)

Hi Elle, I seem to recall once the photos were released there was supposed to be more information coming.
Is that still the case?

What are my choices? ;-)

I would like to know if Lyle's DNA was or can be submitted to 23andme. (It's only $100. I'll foot the bill.) Has this been discussed on his Subredd?

No, not 23andme as they need saliva. Janet Franson his original NamUs case worker had passed the family tree info on to CCM. I gave it to her a few months ago. I do not know if they are going to consider it. Janet is no longer with NamUs.

Clarifying; I gave Janet a bunch of links, Family Tree plus 2 or 3 other free databases that could be checked. IF the coroner has the raw data, they can upload it to sites listed. This is for adopted people, but if ME explained Lyle's story, I do not doubt they would help. Janet was very interested in it.

There are groups of DNA search angels who will help you and educate you on how this works so you can then help others. Do 23andme.com $99 and once you have those results upload to FTDNA (Family tree DNA) for about $99 and to GEDmatch and a DNA Tools site DNAgedcom.com both free.

Hi Elle, I seem to recall once the photos were released there was supposed to be more information coming.
Is that still the case?

You remember correctly. I'm also curious if more came.

A mod from Lyle's subreddit inquired on /r/Dentistry about Lyle's tooth removal; especially with #5 and #12 and got a response back from a Prosthodontic Resident, who says that it was likely removed for braces.

A mod from Lyle's subreddit inquired on /r/Dentistry about Lyle's tooth removal; especially with #5 and #12 and got a response back from a Prosthodontic Resident, who says that it was likely removed for braces.

If Lyle wore braces at one time , it would make sense that he seemed to take very good care of his teeth, ( ie. he had nothing but a toothbrush) as
wearing braces seems to instill a sense of ritual in keeping teeth clean. imo.

:yesss: You are invited !!

Join Tricia's chat tomorrow night at 8:30 PM Eastern. The topic is the unidentified in the Long Island Serial Killer case and about Websleuths and the new docu-series coming soon. Guests include the Directors and Producers of Cropsey and Killer Legends Josh Zeman and Rachel Mills, our WS Admin Bessie, and WS members.

Just CLICK HERE www.truecrimeradio.com/chat to join the live chat 8:30 PM Eastern on True Crime Radio. Then at 9 PM click on the blue "Listen Now" tab at the top of the chatroom page to hear the live show with these amazing guests.

You won’t want to miss this great show. Hope to see you there :)

Sorry for the late reply everyone -- WS doesn't notify me of replies, I guess...

@Sutton -- You can choose anything!
Nothing has been submitted. We offered to foot the bill, but they require Saliva samples. There are none for Lyle. We're looking into other options for blood samples.

@DanInOZ - We have access to ask both the original Detective and current one as well any questions we have, but as far as I know, all of the information they were planning on giving out publicly is already listed on the sub (photos, case file, police report).

Janet is no longer with NamUs? I spoke to her recently re: another case :S

Ahh, found it. Awesomesauce. :) Thanks!

Boo. She was a delight to talk to. I remember having a half-hour conversation on the phone with her once... Janet, if you're still lurking around, You're amazing.

So I asked about the shovel teeth on Reddit; and one of the redditors has explained to me that this might have already been answered on here - they're not sure who the exact source was, but the answer was that Lyle did not have shovel teeth. Once I get off work, I'll try and run this through the forum search if my shift hasn't totally wiped me out.

On another point, I will be contacting Interpol tonight about what information they require for unidentified persons. I'm very sure that they could help with Lyle's identification. With the ongoing possibility that he (or just one of his parents) could have come from another country, he would still have family back in that country who could find him on Interpol.

In regards to BCG vaccinations. I am from the UK and 33 and they were still commonplace when I had mine in 1995/6, they also do leave a scar on almost everybody.

So I asked about the shovel teeth on Reddit; and one of the redditors has explained to me that this might have already been answered on here - they're not sure who the exact source was, but the answer was that Lyle did not have shovel teeth. Once I get off work, I'll try and run this through the forum search if my shift hasn't totally wiped me out.

On another point, I will be contacting Interpol tonight about what information they require for unidentified persons. I'm very sure that they could help with Lyle's identification. With the ongoing possibility that he (or just one of his parents) could have come from another country, he would still have family back in that country who could find him on Interpol.

Not fully awake, I had grabbed some of CCM's posts a few months ago; pretty sure his teeth were mentioned there, yes he had shovel teeth. I have also said that American Indians were not the only people to have them.

We had an advantage to everyone else because of CCM. So many people sleuthing Lyle now...
When there is doubt, go back to the Compiled info contributed by coldcaseman.

In regards to BCG vaccinations. I am from the UK and 33 and they were still commonplace when I had mine in 1995/6, they also do leave a scar on almost everybody.

Welcome to Ws, yanjo thanks for that extra info!

:Welcome1:

Not fully awake, I had grabbed some of CCM's posts a few months ago; pretty sure his teeth were mentioned there, yes he had shovel teeth. I have also said that American Indians were not the only people to have them.

We had an advantage to everyone else because of CCM. So many people sleuthing Lyle now...
When there is doubt, go back to the Compiled info contributed by coldcaseman.

Thanks!

Hello! That was me!

I asked the dentists to clarify the dental information per the case file and the teeth removed were indeed premolars commonly removed for orthodontic work, as well as lower wisdom teeth. All of Lyle's work (DO amalgam, teeth removal) are extremely common, but they also stated the combination of them together is rare (!) - which I'm hoping will help with identification.

The problem is record-keeping, as Lyle would've most likely had these procedures done in the early 90s. I'm not sure if records would be kept for patients that stopped coming. Plus, I'd assume paper records would've been moved into computers at the turn of the century, so they might've not bothered inputting the patients that hadn't come for 5-10 years. Another problem would be releasing the information in the first place (although I'm sure law enforcement would be able to ask).

outofthedark & I are trying to find the shovel teeth info from Coldcaseman. I'm 99% sure he said he thought Lyle was American Indian partly because he had the shovel teeth.

Hello! That was me!

I asked the dentists to clarify the dental information per the case file and the teeth removed were indeed premolars commonly removed for orthodontic work, as well as lower wisdom teeth. All of Lyle's work (DO amalgam, teeth removal) are extremely common, but they also stated the combination of them together is rare (!) - which I'm hoping will help with identification.

The problem is record-keeping, as Lyle would've most likely had these procedures done in the early 90s. I'm not sure if records would be kept for patients that stopped coming. Plus, I'd assume paper records would've been moved into computers at the turn of the century, so they might've not bothered inputting the patients that hadn't come for 5-10 years. Another problem would be releasing the information in the first place (although I'm sure law enforcement would be able to ask).

I'm not sure how long they were required to keep medical records, I assume 7 to 10 years; if that. My dad had a gas/ service station business, we routinely purged customer records that had not come in for a few (3ish) years. We were more concerned with the IRS

I know dentists/orthodontists will not be able to give us any information, but I have a feeling he may have done work in the Boise area as a teenager. I'm getting ahead of myself here, but would it be appropriate to inquire whether their practices were active in the early 90s? If so, we could pass along a poster with Lyle's photo and specific dental work with contact information of the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Office, just in case they do recognize Lyle as a patient.

Please note that I am merely asking if this is an potential avenue to investigate. If inappropriate, by no means will I go forward with this. If appropriate, I am more than willing to spend the time to work this angle.

I have made a few posters for Lyle recently and would have no problem making new ones with specific information. Additionally, if you would like to look at/use the posters, please let me know. I'm not sure if I can link them here, but I could email/PM them to you.

I know dentists/orthodontists will not be able to give us any information, but I have a feeling he may have done work in the Boise area as a teenager. I'm getting ahead of myself here, but would it be appropriate to inquire whether their practices were active in the early 90s? If so, we could pass along a poster with Lyle's photo and specific dental work with contact information of the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Office, just in case they do recognize Lyle as a patient.

Please note that I am merely asking if this is an potential avenue to investigate. If inappropriate, by no means will I go forward with this. If appropriate, I am more than willing to spend the time to work this angle.

I have made a few posters for Lyle recently and would have no problem making new ones with specific information. Additionally, if you would like to look at/use the posters, please let me know. I'm not sure if I can link them here, but I could email/PM them to you.

I've felt that he knew Idaho; and that Lyle Stevick probably was his name. I also feel he is connected some how to 9/11; such as losing someone

I'm new to this thread, and very interested in the case.

I wish we did have DNA testing for ethnicity, as I think that would narrow things down.

Some of my initial observations:

His clothes are brand name (Levi's, Tims), good quality (real leather belt) and in good condition. I don't think he could have obtained clothes like this if he didn't, at least at some point, have a reasonably well-paying job. He also had orthodontic work. This to me points to a middle-class life at some point in the recent past, and likely a middle-class upbringing as orthodontic work is usually done in one's youth.

If he did get the name from Joyce Carol Oates, he is educated and literate. His tidy handwriting points to this as well. Another indicator of a fairly stable life.

I do think he looks Hispanic or Native, especially in profile. His height seems Native to me, many Cree in that area are quite tall. But his thick eyebrows seem more Hispanic or Eastern European. So I'm going back and forth on that. From the front, he does look Serbian, which matches the last name. There's a large Serbian community in Calgary.

He had to have taken money out from an ATM at some point, or at least gone to a bank, because he had mostly 20 dollar bills. So at some point, he had a bank card or similar identification. Could he have been throwing out these items when he was seen wandering along the highway?

The way he writes his last name looks casual to me, the way the letters are joined seems like he's written it many times before. I wouldn't discount a Lyle Stevic who has simply not been reported missing.

I'm new to this thread, and very interested in the case.

I wish we did have DNA testing for ethnicity, as I think that would narrow things down.

Some of my initial observations:

His clothes are brand name (Levi's, Tims), good quality (real leather belt) and in good condition. I don't think he could have obtained clothes like this if he didn't, at least at some point, have a reasonably well-paying job. He also had orthodontic work. This to me points to a middle-class life at some point in the recent past, and likely a middle-class upbringing as orthodontic work is usually done in one's youth.

If he did get the name from Joyce Carol Oates, he is educated and literate. His tidy handwriting points to this as well. Another indicator of a fairly stable life.

I do think he looks Hispanic or Native, especially in profile. His height seems Native to me, many Cree in that area are quite tall. But his thick eyebrows seem more Hispanic or Eastern European. So I'm going back and forth on that. From the front, he does look Serbian, which matches the last name. There's a large Serbian community in Calgary.

He had to have taken money out from an ATM at some point, or at least gone to a bank, because he had mostly 20 dollar bills. So at some point, he had a bank card or similar identification. Could he have been throwing out these items when he was seen wandering along the highway?

The way he writes his last name looks casual to me, the way the letters are joined seems like he's written it many times before. I wouldn't discount a Lyle Stevic who has simply not been reported missing.

Were Tims that well known & expensive back then? I paid $60 to $80 for a pair for my 2yr old grandson a few months ago.

The info for genealogy has been passed on to CCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member