Welcome To Websleuths # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m confused why a closed thread would have a reply option for regular members if it’s closed to further replies. Or maybe I’m just confused? :) Time for bed.

Last edited:
Sorry for not getting it first time around.

On the post in the closed thread, click on "Reply". Then right click with your mouse and choose "Select All", then right click again and select "Copy", then just bring it into your reply in the new thread and click "Paste".

If there was a "Reply" button on closed threads, then the thread would not be closed.

The only way a member could possibly quote a post in a closed thread would be to manually type the code for the quote. Including the member's username, the post number (which would have to come from the URL from the original post) and the member's number (which would have to come from the URL on the member's profile). If anybody wants to go through the trouble of trying that, here is the code. Insert the member's name, the post number, member's number, and the text. Then remove the spaces from the quote tags, and post it. If you don't make any mistakes, the correct quote should appear.

[ QUOTE="Xxxxxx, post: 00000000, member: 00000" ] Insert text [ /QUOTE ]

If there was a "Reply" button on closed threads, then the thread would not be closed.

The only way a member could possibly quote a post in a closed thread would be to manually type the code for the quote. Including the member's username, the post number (which would have to come from the URL from the original post) and the member's number (which would have to come from the URL on the member's profile). If anybody wants to go through the trouble of trying that, here is the code. Insert the member's name, the post number, member's number, and the text. Then remove the spaces from the quote tags, and post it. If you don't make any mistakes, the correct quote should appear.

I know it‘s not what you‘re looking for but to bring at least the link to a post in a closed thread over, this can be done by clicking on the hash, copying the link and pasting it into your post. On mobile devices, the hash only appears in landscape mode:
D2AB5D73-1409-42AE-870A-93F5CDA53B72.jpeg E7D82801-4049-48DC-9E57-528D24823B23.jpeg

The link would look like this:
CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #29

It‘s not a quote but at least it helps referring to a post you cannot quote (unless you go through the steps you mentioned).

I find this a little easier, but not as thorough as your way, KaBoom.

Highlight text from the closed thread, insert text in new reply, highlight text again and click on the tool icon that is to the left of the left/right arrows above (looks like a lined piece of paper ), click QUOTE. Then I add the link from the quoted text by highlighting/copy it from original post and paste here... inside or outside the quote.

See below ... you can add the poster's name if you want --- it does make it a little better. In this case, I quoted Tricia

Welcome To Websleuths # 3
Sorry, I thought I had the first thread linked. My bad. Guys, I don't know if I am pitching or tossing these days. So now not only did I not put in the thread for the newbies to read I put in an old thread right in the middle of the discussion. Someone needs to fire me. That's it.
I am starting a new Welcome thread and we will have some very strict rules about the # 4 thread. So be sure and read the first post. Closing this thread in a bit.
Welcome To Websleuths # 3

I know this question was asked before but don’t believe I saw an answer to it.

Why am I having to sign in every time I come to WS? It just started a few days ago. I was hoping it would go away, no such luck. TIA.

Find the post you want to quote, click on the post # in the bottom right hand corner, then copy & paste the URL into your reply in the current thread you are posting in.

Actually - All I do is copy what I want from the post & then paste it into the reply box of new thread - and add in the beginning
[quote = Poster's ] at the end of the quote - [ / quote ] - no spaces in between the brackets. :)

I know this question was asked before but don’t believe I saw an answer to it.

Why am I having to sign in every time I come to WS? It just started a few days ago. I was hoping it would go away, no such luck. TIA.
Did you accept the cookies and check the box to keep me signed in the first time you logged on? I found that if I only did one of those on separate occasions then it would ask me to log in each time. I cleared all my history and cookies, opened WS and did both when logging in. Haven’t had an issue since.

Thanks Suglo for your answer on how to stay logged in. I ignore the cookies box but always check the keep me logged in. I will try all your suggestions.

Thanks for helping.

@Tricia @WS Admin

Hi. I'm really missing a particular feature. Remember when we could see at the bottom of each thread which members were currently viewing it? Well, I know you removed that for privacy reasons, but is there any way we could still have a counter showing how many members/guests are on a thread?

I liked being able to know I'm not alone in the room, as it were. I also liked being able to see that there were guest viewers and encouraging them to join us. Names not required, just numbers.

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

@Tricia & @WS Admin I’m getting this error quite a bit today. Iphone SE on Safari.

Attachments

• 17AC00C8-EE00-4C7F-B50E-7A8A504A4BB7.png
    17AC00C8-EE00-4C7F-B50E-7A8A504A4BB7.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 32
Help I don't know where else to ask this ... My Shanann Watts thread ended a couple of days ago at 30, with a link to #31 which gives me an error message. Is there a newer thread? I have the hardest time finding them. The other one was the Botham Jean ... It was (rightly) shut down but I can't figure out if there is another one that had been opened

Help I don't know where else to ask this ... My Shanann Watts thread ended a couple of days ago at 30, with a link to #31 which gives me an error message. Is there a newer thread? I have the hardest time finding them. The other one was the Botham Jean ... It was (rightly) shut down but I can't figure out if there is another one that had been opened
Here you go:
Found Deceased - CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #33

Also whenever you lose a thread try looking under the new posts tab. There you will find the latest active threads. Normally ones like this one are very active and you can almost always find it on the first page of new posts.

My problems with staying logged in on worse. After following Suglo’s directions above, now I am kicked off just by scrolling down the page. I signed in a zillion times yesterday, at least it felt like that!

No blames to Suglo, just not solving ny problem.

Now today, in the last hour, it has been at least 4-5 times.
Any suggestions? I am on an iPad Air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members