Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story does not add up for me. I understand that there have been random kidnappings before, but a guy with a relatively light record, coming at 1 AM from 70 miles away and randomly targeting Jayme Closs for kidnap and brutally killing her parents in the process...it doesn't make sense to me. There has to be a connection.

Interested in theories some of you may have.

This is my first time posting on Websleuths, but I have been reading for awhile now.

I think it will eventually come out that living as a teenager with little parenting or socialization, no goals or activities such as school or work or hobbies or friends, and all day to engage in psycho fantasies with nothing grounding him, he developed an obsession with kidnapping a young girl. I think it'll come out that he purposely started looking some distance away to reduce the chances of being caught which led him to Barron, a place he had spent some time and was at least somewhat familiar with. I think he saw Jayme somewhere, I can't guess where, maybe getting on or off the bus, or at a dance recital, or at cross country practice, and focused on her. Why her instead of any other 13 year old, only he knows. I think he studied the house for some period of time and established that there were two other adults there and apparently no surveillance. Then, I think he made his move, knowing that to kidnap her, he would have to kill both of her parents. That would be the quickest way. I don't think there is any other connection.

Sadly, he was very lucky in several respects, to be able to pull it off as he did, and for so long. Without Jayme's bravery, I think it would have gone on indefinitely.

Last edited:
Could her dance studio be in a location such as a plaza or shopping center where there is also a book store, comic book shop or such that he would have visited regularly, too?

Becky's School of Dance says Jamey attended classes in their facility.
There's also a place called Tactical Escape 101, a gaming facility in the same center.
Maybe

Becky's School of Dance

Google Maps

I'm still so thrilled to see Jayme was found alive when I sign on now! It brings me so much joy to know Jayme is back home with her loving family. Although I cant feel anything but deep sadness knowing Jim and Denise were so senselessly murdered.

I've pointed out many times how such bad things seem to happen to such good people. This is another tragic example seen way too many times.

Jayme and her parents represent the all American family. They raised Jayme with tender loving care. They wanted her to enjoy the life of a child without growing up too fast and Jayme was doing just that before her life was ripped apart.

JP is not mentally ill any more than all the others who simply have evil in their hearts and minds.

These same kind of predators have crossed paths with other good families to murder...rape and kidnap. Most of the kidnapped victims weren't found alive. I am so happy to know Jayme survived.

I think Jayme is a survivor. She saw her parents and saw how strong and morally committed to doing the right thing was for them and she learned to be strong herself.

I believe she learned how to communicate with JP. She knew she had to stroke this beast's engorged ego in order to survive. She knew if she did not he could easily kill her.

I have no doubt during her entire 3 months ordeal he threatened her many times in order to still have full control.

But as the months went by he may have been more at ease when he left the cabin. He may have not locked her away when he left...only locking the cabin up that day.

He had to have her in a locked area since it's been said his friends never saw her. Sort of like Castro had done to his 3 kidnapped victims.

Imo every day Jayme was held captive she clung to the hope that one day she would see an opportunity to escape.

While he diabolically planned how to keep her imprisoned Jayme she was thinking how she could run to freedom and thank God that day came and she took it!!!

I truly hope none of the details come out as to what all she had to endure. None of the public needs or has the right to know.

I have no doubt though Jayme will tell the LE investigators all they need to know in order to bring justice for Jim..Denise and Jayme.

They will have an interviewer who is an expert in interviewing minor children ...most likely a FBI female agent who has much experience in doing these type of interviews.

Someone mentioned there had to be a connection somewhere between Jayme and her kidnapper. The thing is though there doesnt have to be.

There are so many public places he could have seen her without her knowledge. We dont live our lives in caves nor thinking we are being stalked by someone.

No matter where the location happened to be it doesnt help make any of us any safer even if it becomes known.

If it was at Walmart or a local diner people aren't going to stop going where they normally go in their daily lives nor should they.

Next time the obsessive stalker may see their intended target in other public places or even in their yard at home. So even if it becomes known it doesn't protect the next victim for none of them will know either if the suspect may be there planning to kidnap them out of their homes or even off the street in broad daylight.

Predators are always looking for targets and the victims could be anywhere at the time.

The problem is the victims have no idea who they even are for at that time they are nameless unknowns nor do they know they are being stalked by an obsessive predator who is a total stranger hellbent on kidnapping them no matter what it takes.

Imo
Great post. Very nicely said..all of it. A sad but true reality. Also a joyful reality that Jayme survived and she is now safe.

Since the place JP lived seemed to be seasonal as far as occupants in the homes, he might not have even been too worried if she did escape. I mean, he probably figured he could just go out and find her. Where was she going to go? I wonder if she had tried to escape before even.
She is one lucky girl someone was out walking their dog at just the right time!
I lived in Gordon for 30 yrs; 7 yrs in the ECA. With no proper winter clothes or footwear, walking around in an area she’s never been, she could have gone from house to house & never found anyone to help. There are VERY few year round residents in that area. I hesitate to think what the outcome could have been. The angels surrounded her that night

I just don’t think it is that weird that a guy like this sat around plotting his crime. He seemed to not do much else, a loner, had vehicles, guns, a hide-out etc...and all the time to plan his perfect crime. Maybe he got the idea from some online fantasy world, who knows. School shooters don’t always have a background of smaller crimes...they just bust out with their one grand plan. He is like that, imo.

I can't imagine the level of PTSD poor Jayme is going to be dealing with for, probably, the rest of her life. I also can't imagine how it is going to affect her and even her friends to not know what the connection was.....how she was targeted. I'd be afraid to leave my home!
It will take time. Recovering will be a slow and steady process, with tiny steps forward and giant steps back as well. I bet she was afraid to try an escape as well, but she mustered up her courage, in freezing temps, not even knowing where she was, and went for it. I'm hoping and trusting that she will make it through and be a true survivor.

This story does not add up for me. I understand that there have been random kidnappings before, but a guy with a relatively light record, coming at 1 AM from 70 miles away and randomly targeting Jayme Closs for kidnap and brutally killing her parents in the process...it doesn't make sense to me. There has to be a connection.

Interested in theories some of you may have.

This is my first time posting on Websleuths, but I have been reading for awhile now.
I totally agree.

It will take time. Recovering will be a slow and steady process, with tiny steps forward and giant steps back as well. I bet she was afraid to try an escape as well, but she mustered up her courage, in freezing temps, not even knowing where she was, and went for it. I'm hoping and trusting that she will make it through and be a true survivor.

If this was me...I would want to start over, new name, new look, new city...I know I could not handle being “that girl” for the rest of my life. But that is my totally personal reaction as an introvert, which I have always pretty much been. Living in a small town after this ordeal would have been imposible for me.

But it could be the opposite for Jayme, in that maybe people will “get over it” once the media is gone and just allow her to fit back in. I am sure their intentions will be the best. It is just with media and internet, it seems impossible that it will ever go away. Elizabeth Smart is many different things now, mother, wife, professional, but is still known as the girl who was kidnapped and abused for nearly a year...bless her heart. I could not be that person. Jmo

I'm sure this has already been addressed but I'm still trying to figure out what his money source was? It appears his parents are alive (so no inheritance) - he had a house and vehicles. Those vehicles had gas in them - and clearly they were eating during this period of time. Were the utilities on? How did he get so set up at 21/22 years old with no job??

Becky's School of Dance says Jamey attended classes in their facility.
There's also a place called Tactical Escape 101, a gaming facility in the same center.
Maybe

Becky's School of Dance

Google Maps
This Becky's School of Dance is much closer to her house. DO we know that she traveled to Rice Lake for these classes?

ETA I believe one of her aunts lives in Rice Lake so it is possible. I'm just wondering which studio she would have attended.

Google Maps

I'm sure this has already been addressed but I'm still trying to figure out what his money source was? It appears his parents are alive (so no inheritance) - he had a house and vehicles. Those vehicles had gas in them - and clearly they were eating during this period of time. Were the utilities on? How did he get so set up at 21/22 years old with no job??
He could make $ online.

I got the feeling maybe he made money from fixing or selling cars/parts. Also, maybe he made money renting his home for short periods of time. I read people now and then would come over while he was out. Funny though since no one seems to know who he was in this town, who did he have over? JMO

Last edited:
Do we know the distance she traveled when she met the dog walker? how far did they then travel to the house they called 911 at? I know it was 8 minutes and that she wasn't able to walk fast as it was slippery.
Is the dog walker a resident or a vacationer? Where is her house.

The Sheriff said there was power and water at the home. There aren't a ton of details yet but there should be more revealed at the PC tomorrow.

Some have speculated that he may have sold drugs, I personally don't believe that. I think it would have brought way too much attention to the home and in such a small town a 'drug dealer' would have been known to the locals. Nobody seems to even know that he was living there at the time this all happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517