AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 13 year old daughter isn't allowed social media - my almost 15 year old son was just allowed to get instagram (but only instagram) this year when he started 9th grade.

ETA she does have friends on social media at that age, but it's definitely not the norm. IMO
Yeah, I am a grandmother now, but if I had kids that were 13 in this day and age, they would be very restricted in what they could do online. I certainly know they wouldn't have a phone at 13.

I reapectfully beg to differ that it's not the norm.
I’m sure what the “norm” is varies even from one community to the next. My daughters each got phones and started using social media on their 11th birthday - in my community it seems like 9 is about average so my kids feel oppressed by my strictness.

forgive me because I dont want to say this but: The only reason to take her is either, shes going to alert someone if you leave her , therefore killing your Head start or she can ID them. I'm guessing she can ID them :(

But if she can ID them, wouldn't they just kill her too? I mean morally speaking, whats the difference between a double or triple homicide? They could have kept her because they wanted her....sex trafficking is real...or because (as some others have maintained on this thread) because he/she just couldn't bring themselves to kill a child...I would not be surprised if we find out Jayme was a newbie to SM and inadvertently (either with her own phone, computer, or parents phone) attracted the attention of a predator.

Back to phones. The 911 initial report says that after the 911 call from the cell in the house was made and lost, the 911 operator tried calling back the number, no answer. 911 operator then called the landline, which had been "disconnected" What do you sleuths interpret that to mean? And thank you for the "welcome". Using my phone to type so sorry for format issues.
I interpret that to mean the family previously had a landline phone in the house but no longer do.

Thank you so much for posting this fresh eyes opinion from the highly qualified Mark Fuhrman. I've read all of his books. Very interesting.
But if Denise was the "target" then why not also kill Jayme right there in the house if she witnessed the killings? Why take away a living person who would be a huge - not sure of the word - liability? No ransom requested that we know of. And why not kill Denise long before the husband was anticipated being home?

I think that maybe Jayme was hiding...somehow got ahold of a cell phone...When they spotted her they realized she had dialed 911. No time to think....had to get out of there asap...so they took her with them. She is probably deceased. Hate to type that out. :(

Two thousand volunteers join the search for Jayme Closs in Wisconsin | Daily Mail Online
Trucks crawled bumper to bumper as thousands gathered early Tuesday morning to start the foot search of a five-and-half-mile radius around the Closs family home that is expected to go on until dusk.

'Searchers are being organized into 13 groups of 150 volunteers accompanied by four or five DNR (Department of Natural Resources) and, or State Patrol staff as leaders,' DNR Warden Supervisor, Russell T Fell, one of hundreds of law enforcement officers assisting the Barron County Sheriff's Department said.

'Everyone has had to register and their driving licenses have been scanned partly just to ensure that everybody is accounted for but also as an investigative tool.'

I almost never post here, but didn't see this comment yet.
It sticks with me that they scanned the IDs of every single volunteer. They're looking for someone close. IMO.

Is there a cell tower in the area they are searching today?
The only cell tower that is probably in the search areas today (we don't know all the search areas).

Here is the street view of the tower itself along US 8 approximately 3100 feet East of the Closs home. You can pop back up out of Street View to see the Satellite or Street Map.

Google Maps

I’m sure what the “norm” is varies even from one community to the next. My daughters each got phones and started using social media on their 11th birthday - in my community it seems like 9 is about average so my kids feel oppressed by my strictness.

You're right, I'm sure it does vary from community to community, and different households have different rules. But I'm certain it's not the norm, generally speaking. As in, more kids have some form of social media than not.

forgive me because I dont want to say this but: The only reason to take her is either, shes going to alert someone if you leave her , therefore killing your Head start or she can ID them. I'm guessing she can ID them :(

I think she could have ID'd them. At that point, the 911 call was already made. I hate even typing this, but they could have killed her at the scene if their only concern was ID'ing her. Unless this monster could not kill a child, then maybe he took her with the thought of figuring out where to hide or what to do at a later time. If this was the case I hope he hasn't panicked and done the unthinkable and she still has a chance of being found alive. the only other reason to take her would be that taking her was the goal all along. at this point I'm personally not sure what to think.

No disrespect intended to the deceased... just trying to figure out why this unspeakable tragedy had to happen.....

I'd assume LE checked to see if any past work-related issues might have been a factor ?
Anyone fired ? Demoted ? Passed up for a promotion ?

If Denise was the target --and that may very well be --- why take a 13 year old girl ?
The perp would have to know this would have magnified the search for him/her tenfold !
If Jayme could ID him/her, why not kill her right then and there ? (sorry to post such a negative thought)
Even if the motive was sexual----again the perp had to know LE and other law enforcement agencies (FBI) would be all over them like white on rice.
Guess we who are compassionate and law-abiding, can never understand how a murderer 'thinks'. (thank goodness !!!)

Wondering if a search warrant is needed when it's owner is deceased.
Wasn't there a huge case recently where the phone records would have provided (possibly) great information but the cell phone company was being very resistant, perhaps to prove a point of security, and it dragged on for weeks? I think it even may have been Apple resisting? Surely someone here remembers as I only peripherally glanced at headlines then. Given that Jayme is a minor and her life is at stake, I would love to think that the cell phone company has to turn over all texts and such even if her phone is missing. Anyone here who can provide some expert input on this?

ETA: Found the case I was recalling vaguely. Apple putting their foot down when perhaps they should have just - well - no matter now - personal privacy vs fighting crime. Tis an issue I know, but gee whiz. Anyway - here's the case I was recalling earlier - Apple Fights Order to Unlock San Bernardino Gunman’s iPhone

Last edited:
I don't post very often here but I follow many of the cases here and have been following this one from the beginning. For me, every theory that I came up with or read was logical until I got to the final question: Why was Jayme taken? So, I have been thinking and thinking.....And I came up with this after reading Mark Fuhrman's comments. What if Denise was the target. And they fully intended to leave after killing James and Denise. Maybe Jayme was hiding? Then Jayme somehow finds a phone can calls 911. Makes a break for it and ends up outside just as the perps are making their escape. They almost have to grab her and make a run for it at that point. They scoop her up and ...well here is were I don't think it ends well for poor Jayme. This is just my opinion, of course!!!

I think that maybe Jayme was hiding...somehow got ahold of a cell phone...When they spotted her they realized she had dialed 911. No time to think....had to get out of there asap...so they took her with them. She is probably deceased. Hate to type that out. :(
I think mom may have had the phone when she was in the bathroom, dialed and said - help, before someone started barging in.

Hi Everyone,

I have given permission to discuss the tips being posted on the Sheriff's Facebook page. If you see a tip you want to discuss you must provide the link to the sheriff's Facebook.

Let me add and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT SLEUTH ANYONE POSTING A TIP. If you do my head will explode then you will be banned for not only sleuthing an innocent person but for the mess in my living room.

Thank you,
Tricia

re Norms:

Teens, Social Media & Technology 2018
YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat are the most popular online platforms among teens. Fully 95% of teens have access to a smartphone, and 45% say they are online 'almost constantly'

Until recently, Facebook had dominated the social media landscape among America’s youth – but it is no longer the most popular online platform among teens, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. Today, roughly half (51%) of U.S. teens ages 13 to 17 say they use Facebook, notably lower than the shares who use YouTube, Instagram or Snapchat.
Despite the nearly ubiquitous presence of social media in their lives, there is no clear consensus among teens about these platforms’ ultimate impact on people their age.

A plurality of teens (45%) believe social media has a neither positive nor negative effect on people their age.

Meanwhile, roughly three-in-ten teens (31%) say social media has had a mostly positive impact, while 24% describe its effect as mostly negative

I don't think Jayme was hiding during the crime. I think she was likely sleeping when the perp entered the house and was awoken by the gun shots. And, I think she was frozen with fear. I don't think she moved from where she was.

Total speculation. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member