WI WI - Milwaukee, WhtFem 40-60, UP7792, MickeyMouse watch, wedd'g ring w/ 'Emiliano 28-1-1953', May'74

http://www.behindthename.com/name/emiliano
According to this name database, Emiliano can be either a Spanish or Italian language name.

Emilian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Emilian or Emiliano may refer to:
Emilia (region of Italy), a region of northern Italy
Emilian of Cogolla, a Visigothic saint
Emilian language, spoken in Emilia, northern Italy."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ano#Suffix_5
One of the meanings of the suffix "-ano" in Italian is "Coming from, related to, or like. Example: italiano ("Italian"), from Italia ("Italy")."

Just some info I found that probably isn't very significant. Total stab in the dark considering I don't know anything about Italy, but maybe it's remotely possible Emiliano refers to the place in Italy and the date may mean a visit to that place. Just throwing it out there. I still think it's much more likely to be a son or husband's name though.

Marquette University in Milwaukee is Jesuit and has been co-ed since 1909. (O/T: It was the first Catholic college to go co-ed.)

I wonder how computerized their alumni records from the late 1940s early 1950s are...

when I saw the UID's face, I did tend to think Native American. however, it is just the profile pic and they did not do a great job cleaning her up for taking the pic so she no doubt looked more presentable in life.

in any event, I can't say whether it was the custom in the early 1950's in Puerto Rico to use the American style MM/DD/YYYY or the international style DD/MM/YYYY. we are almost alone in using month first here in the US.

so it is possible that Emiliano had the ring engraved here in the continental US but domestic engravers probably would have said something about the style of writing the date. I just don't know.

in any event, my hunch still is that the husband was Emiliano Velez who died in 1971 at the age of 43 in Milwaukee. while he appeared to be prominent in the Puerto Rican community of Milwaukee, perhaps his passing left Mrs. Velez depressed and three years later she committed suicide. an obituary at the time should have listed next of kin but I had a hard time finding it in the online papers. I went up to about February 2, 1971 as he had a date of death of January 27, 1971.

Why are we assuming that Emiliano died before she did?

We're not. At least I'm not, I just came across an Emiliano that was born within a year or two of the wedding date and died just before her death date. It crossed my mind that it might be her son (an Emiliano Jr, so to speak)

Just a thought...Could Emiliano be her surname and not her husbands first name?

I'm not sure what the tradition is for wedding band engravings.

It certainly could.

You can put whatever you want on them. The date is most common, I suppose. The couple's names. A saying that means something to them. Whatever.

I have a friend whose wedding bands say "Forever yours" -- in Elvish.

So, is anyone bold enough to call Marquette and ask them if they have an alum from the 40s or 50s who married an Emiliano? Or, for that matter, they could have met in college and they could have an alum named that...

I've given this aspect of your post some thought. while Emiliano certainly was a prominent member of the Puerto Rican community of Milwaukee in his day, he died in January 1971. without finding the original obituary, it is unknown who his next of kin were. I would think if he had children and his widow vanished three years later, they would have reported her missing. [keep in mind how missing persons were treated back then. for all we know the police would not take a report]

if Emiliano left a widow but no children, she could have been forgotten by people if her late husband was the one who got all the attention. so if you have a childless widow who for whatever reason was despondent 3 yrs after her husband died, that could have pushed her over the edge and committed suicide.

I found an article that mentions Emiliano Velez. It appears he was a rather prominent figure in the Puerto Rican community of Milwaukee. I would assume that if his widow disappeared this case would have been solved a long time ago. He died from Leukemia FWIW.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19810812&id=TU4aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3493,885237http://

So, is anyone bold enough to call Marquette and ask them if they have an alum from the 40s or 50s who married an Emiliano? Or, for that matter, they could have met in college and they could have an alum named that...

Should also check Gonzaga University in Washington state, which is the only college in the world named for Aloysius.

Should also check Gonzaga University in Washington state, which is the only college in the world named for Aloysius.

Gonzaga didn't go coed until 1948. The first women were likely locals as a women's dorm wasn't built until 5 years after that. I think Marquette is our best bet. Jesuit colleges tended to be regional during that time period. Also, almost every Jesuit institution has a building named for St. Aloysius.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Mission/History.asp

Gonzaga didn't go coed until 1948. The first women were likely locals as a women's dorm wasn't built until 5 years after that. I think Marquette is our best bet. Jesuit colleges tended to be regional during that time period. Also, almost every Jesuit institution has a building named for St. Aloysius.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Mission/History.asp

I was thinking the medallion might have belonged to her husband.

I was thinking the medallion might have belonged to her husband.

Even so, see my previous statement about Jesuit colleges tending to be regional at the time. They did a lot to accommodate non-traditional students, especially vets looking to use their GI bill benefits, in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I wish we knew if it was gold, gold-plated or gold tone. That could really help determine where and why she may have received it.

Is there any culture where that saint is particularly revered? It is odd, but maybe just a personal quirk of hers that will not help us out.

I agree with above poster- perhaps she was living on her own with no children. No one but a landlord or the like to report her missing. If that is the situation, given the age of this case, her file might be buried at the bottom of a storage unit and her MP probably not in Namus.

No offense to Necco- but I have no clue how anyone can see who the heck is on that medallion. I can see how the figure is holding something (a feather, some wheat??) I went to an online medallion store to compare and there is like 100 different saints! I just knew of the more popular ones. Anyways, they all look a little similar except Michael, who, of course is sporting a sword. Very frustrating! I wish they had a pic of the back of that medallion.

St Aloysius Gonzaga was an aristocrat in the Duchy of Mantua located in what is now northern Italy. (Italy didn't exist as a nation until relatively recent history, so to say he was Italian would be a misnomer of sorts.) He served several royal families in both present day Italy and Spain.

So, basically, he'd be more revered in Spain, Italy and among those educated by Jesuits. Not really all that helpful, I know. But that's what it is.

No offense to Necco- but I have no clue how anyone can see who the heck is on that medallion. I can see how the figure is holding something (a feather, some wheat??) I went to an online medallion store to compare and there is like 100 different saints! I just knew of the more popular ones. Anyways, they all look a little similar except Michael, who, of course is sporting a sword. Very frustrating! I wish they had a pic of the back of that medallion.

HAHAHA.
No offense taken at all. Being able to track down saints and analyze medallions is not really a marketable skill. Did you look at the full sized picture? When I zoomed in on the full sized picture, I noticed he was holding lilies. Some saints are always depicted with certain objects. So I googled "saint holding lilies" and got lucky as the first link that came up showed St. Al (I'm getting sick of typing his full name :) ) I looked at the way he was depicted and it matched. The part in his hair, his collar and his face all match.

Full sized medallion:
https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/14818

Links I used to make the comparison:
http://www.fisheaters.com/saintsart.html
http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-aloysius-gonzaga/

Ok, that makes more sense. :)
You'd never guess that some of my family were altar boys, etc. for the church. I asked dad and he said, "huh? St. what?"

*in spooky voice*

I see dead holy people.

(If anyone is working on another case that has religious medals involved, feel free to PM me)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back