WI WI - Milwaukee, WhtFem 40-60, UP7792, MickeyMouse watch, wedd'g ring w/ 'Emiliano 28-1-1953', May'74

Even so, see my previous statement about Jesuit colleges tending to be regional at the time. They did a lot to accommodate non-traditional students, especially vets looking to use their GI bill benefits, in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I wish we knew if it was gold, gold-plated or gold tone. That could really help determine where and why she may have received it.

Marquette's much more likely, that's for sure. But many Gonzaga graduates went on to teach at other Jesuit schools. If we're checking alumni, it's worth keeping in mind, is all.

I think the medal's bronze, like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antique-Jesu...aga-Cast-Fine-Brass-BVM-Reverse-/160759032423

I wish we had more details about the medal -- something to show its size, and whether there's anything on the reverse.

Do NOT Google "Western Engraving & Embossing Company" and then click on Images unless you have a strong stomach. You will get Mrs. Emiliano's stuff, and you will also get a whole screenful of morgue shots of various drowned bodies found in the Milwaukee area. I am not normally squeamish about this kind of thing, but a whole page of it unexpectedly on my screen was a bit much.

I'll go through it later. It looks like there might be a couple of newspaper articles that might be relevant.

Do NOT Google "Western Engraving & Embossing Company" and then click on Images unless you have a strong stomach. You will get Mrs. Emiliano's stuff, and you will also get a whole screenful of morgue shots of various drowned bodies found in the Milwaukee area. I am not normally squeamish about this kind of thing, but a whole page of it unexpectedly on my screen was a bit much.

I'll go through it later. It looks like there might be a couple of newspaper articles that might be relevant.

Yes, there are some rather graphic photos on the Milwaukee Medical Examiners page.

Not sure if this can be useful, but I pulled a little information about Western Engraving & Embossing Company from their website.

"Western Engraving Incorporated was founded in the western Chicago suburb of Villa Park in 1967 and relocated in Washburn, Wisconsin in 1975. "

http://westernengraving.com/

I'm not sure of their reach in terms of distribution now or in 1974, but they appear to be a very local business. Anythings possible, but these leads me to think that Emiliano WAS relatively local to the shores of Lake Michigan.

Yes, Jesuit colleges do tend to hire alum from fellow Jesuit schools. If Marquette yields nothing, it would be wise to expand to the other Jesuit unis.

As for the metal being brass, I respectfully disagree. In addition to namus listing it as gold colored, the medal looks like it hasn't been polished in a while and the oxidation on it more closely resembles how gold or gold plated would react. The high points are shiny from wear and the deep parts are just dull and not discolored. Obviously, from pictures it is hard to tell, but that's what my experience with metals tells me. The fine brass example posted is in AMAZING condition for its age and is not how brass usually ages unless it has been coated.

One thing that I didn't catch the first time from the Namus entry: she had a high blood OH in her system. So possibly she just stumbled into the lake and drowned.

She was found in Lake Michigan, is it possible that she was from somewhere other than Milwaukee and drifted over there? I don't know how everything flows up there.

One thing that I didn't catch the first time from the Namus entry: she had a high blood OH in her system. So possibly she just stumbled into the lake and drowned.

She was found in Lake Michigan, is it possible that she was from somewhere other than Milwaukee and drifted over there? I don't know how everything flows up there.

I'd have to take a look again at how long Emiliano was estimated to be in the water. Late May in Wisconsin can feature some very unpredictable weather. I can be 80 one day and 30 with snow the next day. The water temp of Lake Michigan that time of year would still be VERY cold. If my memory serves me right from growing up just south of Milwaukee, the avg spring water temp is 40-45. The lake itself borders WI, IL, MI, and IN. That time of year, she could have probably been in the water quite awhile longer then warm regions without experiencing a whole lot of decomposition.

I'd have to take a look again at how long Emiliano was estimated to be in the water. Late May in Wisconsin can feature some very unpredictable weather. I can be 80 one day and 30 with snow the next day. The water temp of Lake Michigan that time of year would still be VERY cold. If my memory serves me right from growing up just south of Milwaukee, the avg spring water temp is 40-45. The lake itself borders WI, IL, MI, and IN. That time of year, she could have probably been in the water quite awhile longer then warm regions without experiencing a whole lot of decomposition.

My daughter went to college in Chicago and said that the locals called April and May "body season" because all the bodies that went into the water in the summer and fall would rise to the surface and wash ashore as the water warmed up.

I was wondering about a boating accident, also.

Namus did say her body was partially frozen...

Estimated postmortem interval :1 Month (from Namus)

http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/WI/Milwaukee/1974-05-05

Temperature May 5th 1974 (when she was found)

Minimum Temperature

36.0 °F

Mean Temperature

45.1 °F

Maximum Temperature

53.1 °F

Actual: 51 | 39
Precip: 0.17
Average: 63 | 42
Precip: 0.14

APRIL 1974 avg temp was 50, the end of the month was significantly warmer with temps in the 70's.

So she probably thawed out at the end of month and surfaced the first week of May....which makes sense considering the weather conditions. The water temp for Lake Michigan, during that time, was on avg 40-45.

Ya know what just doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

The crutches.

If this person was in the water for a month- how can they suspect the crutches are hers? So they recovered the body and then looked around the pier and thought..."hmmm....abandoned pair of crutches...could be hers?" 30 days is a lot of time for 1) abandoned crutches to be lying around and not thrown away or stolen and 2) a lot of time for another person to accidentally leave crutches there.

I am not saying they can't be hers...but it seems like a strange detail to include when it seems like a long shot.

Also, would it be likely that a semi-floating object (a body) would stay in the same place for a month and not float a few dozen yards away with the current? IDK

Ya know what just doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

The crutches.

If this person was in the water for a month- how can they suspect the crutches are hers? So they recovered the body and then looked around the pier and thought..."hmmm....abandoned pair of crutches...could be hers?" 30 days is a lot of time for 1) abandoned crutches to be lying around and not thrown away or stolen and 2) a lot of time for another person to accidentally leave crutches there.

I am not saying they can't be hers...but it seems like a strange detail to include when it seems like a long shot.

Also, would it be likely that a semi-floating object (a body) would stay in the same place for a month and not float a few dozen yards away with the current? IDK

A lot of the marinas in Wisconsin don't officially open until Spring. The county, city, etc... may not necessarily be collecting trash as a result. The lakefront, where developed, as a ton of large rocks near the shore to help protect the shoreline from erosion. Where she was found has those rocks and a "breaker wall" to protect the shore from waves and to allow boats a wake to run through before hitting the open water. Unless she floated into the channel (albeit possible) she more than likely fell off the pier and stayed close to shore.

there was an Emiliano Velez who died in January 1971 in Milwaukee. he was born in Sept 1927, which would have made him 25 y.o. on a January 28, 1953 wedding date. his SS# was issued in Puerto Rico before 1951.

Velez was the only Emiliano from Wisconsin who died between 1970 and 1974.

I would venture a small wager that this was the husband who was on the ring.

I also found a Divorced Emiliano Velez in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Without ordering the actual Divorce Certificate I have found about 6 women who were also divorced on that same day, Jan 20 1967 Milwaukee WI. Looking into these women now. But don't see missing cases on any of the women divorced on the same day, as of yet. This Emiliano Velez and the Emiliano Velez that Died in 1971 I believe are the same.

Maybe we need to find out who exactly his ex wife was.

Jm:twocents:

I see a lot of speculation about the type of gold on the necklace, and while I'm certainly no expert, I have to say the color and the "texture" look exactly like the 24K gold necklace I have (minus the teeth marks from proving to people that it really was 24K.)

This case seems easily solvable, but...it was a different time. If she had nobody left, it would be very difficult. Don't count on a missing person report as an identification.

Emiliano is not a popular/common first name. You see Emiliano as an surname/last name occasionally. It has Spanish/Italian roots. When I read Emiliano, I thought of that really good pizza parlor in Poughkeepsie, Emiliano's Pizza. It's an old school mom 'n' pop pizzeria. Italian.

There is also Emilano Zapata Salazar from Mexico who was a prominent figure in the Mexican revolution a century ago.

The Mickey Mouse watch shown in the namus is a bit of a collectible today. After viewing it close-up, that particular watch worn by the floater was released circa 1972 as that was when Bradley began producing that particular Mickey Mouse watch. They ceased in 1982.

With the blood alcohol of .13, sounds like she either jumped or fell to her death at 11:50 PM as night time seems more the likely scenario.

Looks like this thread has been quiet for a while. Just out of curiosity, did anyone come across a name of Margarita Escobar while doing searches for Emiliano Velez? I found a number of things referencing the Emiliano Velez born in 1927, along with a couple of searches where the name "Margarita Escobar" popped up. Unlike other people listed in the various sites, information about the date of her date don't seem to appear...

I too believe we need find out what happened to Emiliano's wife. After divorce in Jan 67 and then his passing in 71 may have been too much. Depression could have led to alcohol consumption and she committed suicide or she could have just been out having drinks and fell accidentally. Who was she, did they have children, and where did she go after her divorce?

https://identifyus.org/cases/7792

No new ruleouts since 2014, but her case was updated August 2016. She has DNA, dentals, and fingerprints. There's complete information about her clothes as well as lots of photos that I don't remember from before.

With all that to go on, we should be able to find her, you would think.

This unidentified female believed to be middle aged (aged 40 to 60) was found in Lake Michigan at Jones Island Pier #5 in May of 1974 in Milwaukee, WI. A pair of crutches was found in a barrel on top of the pier. She was believed to be Native American, Hispanic, or possibly Italian descent. Perhaps the best clue was a wedding ring. The ring had an inscription on the inside: Emiliano 28-1-1953.

Decomposed, heavier build, and uterus appeared post menopausal. Blood alcohol was 0.13.

While looking into some possibilities I found a woman, Jesusa Ayala Lopez, who married Emilio Morales Rivera in Puerto Rico on Jan 28, 1953. The location of their marriage, Dorado, PR, is interesting since the town's patron saint is Anthony of Padua. The saint depicted on the medal the UP was found with has lilies at the bottom which is symbolism commonly associated with Anthony of Padua.

attachment.php

I wasn't able to find any additional information and emailed NamUs what I had found. They replied and said they had also found that record but "it didn't lead us further to living relatives."

Has anyone else come across this record? If so, were you able to rule it out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 3.04.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 3.04.47 PM.png
    745.7 KB · Views: 85

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members