WI - Sylville Smith, 23, fatally shot by Milwaukee PD officer, 13 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

"CNN edits out Milwaukee victim’s sister calling for violence in ‘the suburbs’"

"The network showed a brief clip of Ms. Smith telling protesters: 'Don’t bring the violence here and the ignorance here.'
But CNN cut away before Ms. Smith called for rioters to 'take that s– to the suburbs.'"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/cnn-edits-out-milwaukee-victims-sister-sherelle-sm/

Glad some MSM finally called them on that... huge uproar on SM.

Glad some MSM finally called them on that... huge uproar on SM.

Yes, I noticed it first on Twitter, but all the links were to sources not MSM. But, I did find one.

Very interesting case to study - with pulling the plug on the internet in certain neighborhoods, MSM coverage, streaming by amateurs....Milwaukee will be on the syllabus of a few college courses this semester, I hope.

I don't have answers about how the situation should be handled in terms of communications, but I do have lots of questions.

So much room for conversation beyond tweets and comments on SM.

Yes, I noticed it first on Twitter, but all the links were to sources not MSM. But, I did find one.

Very interesting case to study - with pulling the plug on the internet in certain neighborhoods, MSM coverage, streaming by amateurs....Milwaukee will be on the syllabus of a few college courses this semester, I hope.

I don't have answers about how the situation should be handled in terms of communications, but I do have lots of questions.

So much room for conversation beyond tweets and comments on SM.

We have seen these same things in Ferguson and Baltimore, too.

Lets try this story...
Girl growing up gets her first PT job at same place mom works in order to help family out. Girl is straight A student.

The job is weekends only at first. Mom starts bringing girl on some week days to fill in for people.

Girl starts missing so much school eventually she stops going. She is now 16 and working full time.

Girl gets pregnant, has baby at 19. Her mom is no longer working but dad lives with them and works at a steady job. Girl gets government assistance for 3 months to cover birth and loss of work.

Girl gets new job, gam takes care of baby during girls working hours.

Girl no longer dates, instead spends her time taking care of baby.

Girl switches jobs a few times. Each time girl learns new things that enable her to get the next ( slightly better job).

Girl DOESNT hang on streets, doesn't have more kids. By the time child starts kindergarten girl has a better job. She has medical care. Still doesn't have a car though. She takes the bus to work, brings whatever she can dig up for lunch . Girl pays neighborhood teen to watch child after school.

Girl now has to work an additional two late evenings to keep her job. More money spent on sitter. Too late for the bus. Girl takes cab home on the two late nights.

Girl always keeps an eye out for new jobs, better chances, etc. girl finds opportunity to move to new area. Studio apt but she makes it work. Finds job a few blocks away at a bank. Works there for a few years. Walks a fair distance to the supermarket several times a week. People in this area aren't struggling like girl. She needs to fit in in order to keep moving up, and have her child accepted.
Girl shops at goodwill for clothes, hand washing them and hanging in the shower to dry. It's hard work but she does it anyway.

Girl finds a different job, data entry. She knows nothing about computers but knows the owner from working at the bank. She takes job and learns everything she can.

Girl meets someone, eventually moving herself and child in with him. He owns a house. After a short time he becomes controlling and abusive. Girl and child sometimes sleep in car in random parking lot to avoid him. Girl still goes to work everyday , child still goes to school everyday.

Girl is back to working a low income , retail job for a while. Once again walking a longer distance to work. Girl switches job. Girl is able to meet people from other nearby businesses. Girl finally gets her first car at 26 .Girl gets new job working for a large, well known company. It's data entry. Girl is nervous but tries hard not to show it. She works hard, very hard.
Girl pays attention to what/ how others do their jobs. She learns more than she has to. Girl brings home discarded computer programming books, studying late at night. People at work start noticing girl knows things beside her job. She continues to study the computer books at home. She finds an old computer set for the trash. She takes it home, using all she has learned from the discarded books girl teaches herself some programming. Meanwhile, girl has received a few smal raises at work. She is given more responsibility. She shows she can write some programs for her little dept at work.
It takes a year's but girl ends up a dept head at said company. Her child graduates high school even though she has learning disabilities. Mom and child worked hard at it. They studied together!

It's a lot of very , very, hard work, but it can be done. I'm proof of that. I am that girl.

Lets try this story...
Girl growing up gets her first PT job at same place mom works in order to help family out. Girl is straight A student.

The job is weekends only at first. Mom starts bringing girl on some week days to fill in for people.

Girl starts missing so much school eventually she stops going. She is now 16 and working full time.

Girl gets pregnant, has baby at 19. Her mom is no longer working but dad lives with them and works at a steady job. Girl gets government assistance for 3 months to cover birth and loss of work.

Girl switches jobs a few times. Each time girl learns new things that enable her to get the next ( slightly better job).

Girl DOESNT hang on streets, doesn't have more kids. By the time child starts kindergarten girl has a better job. She has medical care. Still doesn't have a car though. She takes the bus to work, brings whatever she can dig up for lunch . Girl pays neighborhood teen to watch child after school.

Girl now has to work an additional two late evenings to keep her job. More money spent on sitter. Too late for the bus. Girl takes cab home on the two late nights.

Girl always keeps an eye out for new jobs, better chances, etc. girl finds opportunity to move to new area. Studio apt but she makes it work. Finds job a few blocks away at a bank. Works there for a few years. Walks a fair distance to the supermarket several times a week. People in this area aren't struggling like girl. She needs to fit in in order to keep moving up, and have her child accepted.
Girl shops at goodwill for clothes, hand washing them and hanging in the shower to dry. It's hard work but she does it anyway.

Girl finds a different job, data entry. She knows nothing about computers but knows the owner from working at the bank. She takes job and learns everything she can.

Girl meets someone, eventually moving herself and child in with him. He owns a house. After a short time he becomes controlling and abusive. Girl and child sometimes sleep in car in random parking lot to avoid him. Girl still goes to work everyday , child still goes to school everyday.

Girl is back to working a low income , retail job for a while. Once again walking a longer distance to work. Girl switches job. Girl is able to meet people from other nearby businesses. Girl finally gets her first car at 26 .Girl gets new job working for a large, well known company. It's data entry. Girl is nervous but tries hard not to show it. She works hard, very hard.
Girl pays attention to what/ how others do their jobs. She learns more than she has to. Girl brings home discarded computer programming books, studying late at night. People at work start noticing girl knows things beside her job. She continues to study the computer books at home. She finds an old computer set for the trash. She takes it home, using all she has learned from the discarded books girl teaches herself some programming. Meanwhile, girl has received a few smal raises at work. She is given more responsibility. She shows she can write some programs for her little dept at work.
It takes a year's but girl ends up a dept head at said company. Her child graduates high school even though she has learning disabilities. Mom and child worked hard at it. They studied together!

It's a lot of very , very, hard work, but it can be done. I'm proof of that. I am that girl.

I am proud of you!

Thank you ITD. It really means a lot.
Me too. It is similar to the path my daughter is walking I hope every day for her success like u. Thanks for sharing that. It really helped me today!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This BodyCam issue is a tough one. On one hand, they are so important both for the safety of our LEO's and for civilians. But I do agree with katydid23 in that I can see how they could hinder investigations and questioning of suspects and witnesses. It would be nice to see some sort of legislated protocols as to when they can/should be turned on and off.

But the privacy issue is funny to me. If you are on a computer or Ipad or phone look directly straight ahead. Do you see that camera looking back at you? Edward Snowden and others have already made us aware of the capabilities of the NSA. You ARE being recorded. And that information IS being stored. Creepy I know. But true nonetheless. We gave up our privacy in the name of security almost 15 yrs ago.
I have a piece of black electrical tape covering my computer camera. LOL

Lets try this story...

You are amazing SugarQueen. My Mom was very much like you and gave us the right foundation. All she wanted was a better life for her children and we did right by her. Actions do speak louder than words. Again, you are rare and extraordinary!!!

I have a piece of black electrical tape covering my computer camera. LOL

I have seen pictures of Zuckerberg at his desk and his cam was taped over as well! I would say he has a pretty good idea of who is and isn't watching.

I anticpate some will say this is off topic. IMO as it relates to the problems going on in Milwaukie are relevant, as it relates to reaslistically conecting it to poverty, education opportunity, etc etc (not only police)

This interesting dialog came up because we are discussing some of the motivations for the rioting/looting and disenfrachised/poor etc, correctly arose.

IMO, it is a big component of the hopelessness/rage of the sitution in this country.

Veterns are supposed to get medical treatment huh!! We all followed the the Walter Reed nonsense.

- its like denial of the reality that as a nation we pretty well fail in this department (social services , education etc etc ). I shudder to think what it is now - so I checked it out -

I would think public research so 10% rule is not applicable!

Some of the sad realities :

About
15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, a measurement that has been shown to underestimate the needs of families. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 44% of children live in low-income families.

Poverty can impede children’s
ability to learn and contribute to social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Poverty also can contribute to poorhealth and mental health

Research is clear that poverty is the single greatest threat to children’s well-being

Parental education and employment, race/ethnicity, and other factors are associated with children’s experience of economic insecurity.

The percentage of all children under age 18 years in low-income families surpasses that of adults

• 65 percent of black children—6.3 million—live in low-income families
  • 62 percent of American Indian children—0.3 million—live in low-income families
  • 62 percent of Hispanic children—10.9 million—live in low-income families
  • 31 percent of white children—11.4 million—live in low-income families
  • 30 percent of Asian children—1.0 million—live in low-income families
  • 43 precent of children of some other race—1.5 million—live in low-income families
children whose parents have less than a high school degree, 85 percent live in low-income and 55 percent in poor families

• 69 percent of all children residing with a single parent—16.6 million—live in low-income families

• 41 percent of all children residing with a single parent—9.9 million—live in poor families
about 26 million- I think we can all say services mentioned above have openings for 26 million people!
2010 there were 41.2 babies born to women aged 15 to 19 for every 1000 women

My exposure was FL -

• 48 percent of children in the South—13.1 million—live in low-income families- def not 13 million slots for anything in FL!!
Cauthen, Nancy K. & Fass, Sarah (2008). Measuring Income and Poverty in the United States. New York: National Center for Children in Poverty, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University. Retrieved January 2016 fromhttp://www.nccp.org/publications/pdf/text_825.pdf.

Aratani, Yumiko (2009). Homeless Children and Youth. New York: National Center for Children in Poverty, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University. Retrieved January 2016 from
http://www.nccp.org/publications/pdf/text_888.pdf.

As it relates to the problems of our disenfrachised:

The U.S. ranks 2nd in child poverty

The U.S. ranks 2nd -social statistics such as teen pregnancy, unemployment rates, and voting patterns.

The U.S. ranks 24th in literacy - out of 65

The U.S. ranks 10th in purchasing power of minimum wage

The U.S. ranks 17th in educational performance.

The U.S. ranks 11th in fourth grade math (ability)

The U.S. ranks 6th in fourth grade reading

The U.S. ranks 12th in age of first sex education

The U.S. ranks 3rd in human development

The U.S. ranks 34th in Children’s Index (out of 43)

The U.S. ranks 56th in women’s pay

The U.S. ranks first in incarceration

http://www.businessinsider.com/thes...rongest-militaries-ranked-2015-9/#2-russia-19

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/page/8/

PARENTS NEED TO PARENT!! They need to set expectations for their children. They need to set the right kind of examples for their children. The " village" can help but it can't do it all alone! They need to STOP playing the " we are oppressed" " we are poor" , excuse after excuse after excuse. It costs NOTHING to make sure your child goes to school, does homework, is inside at a reasonable time, generally behaves. Yes, sometimes no matter how hard a parent tries it goes sideways anyhow but FGS give your children a chance to succeed!!
As for unemployment for able bodied folks...... I know folks can't make the bills and rent with only low income jobs. I know sometimes those low income jobs are just enough for people to lose government assistance, making it more doable for folks to stay in the system. ( I hope that made sense). I have an idea..... Say pizza man needs a 35 hour a week employee. A needs a job to get off the government dole but can't live on that. How about pizza man gives the job to A, instead of pizza man paying A directly pizza man sends the money to the state. The state continues to give A the money he would be getting if he wasn't working at all. A is able to work, improving his general feeling about himself. A is able to learn more about the pizza business. Maybe one day A becomes manager at pizza business, making more income, learning more, improving his ability to get a better job. With all that's he's learned, and his new found self confidence,A is able to get a managers position enabling him to get off the government dole! Since pizza man was paying his share to the state they are actually paying out less than if A never got a job. Win, win!!
I vote anyone able to work has to work for assistance! Maybe, just maybe it can instill a little pride in folks by earning a living.
I hope the way I explained this makes sense.

Great Post SugarQueen!

I have posted so many times, but all this starts at home, Parents need to be Parents!!! It all starts at home! Teaching your child to how to provide for ones self as they age should be a priority, I think. I basically took a job babysitting at 13-14yrs old babysitting, then 15-16 got a Real Job in this world, and attended High School, this was after school hours. There is always something you can do for yourself, I believe.

Thanks ~

jmo :moo:

Lets try this story...

I am so impressed with you! God Bless your heart! :smile:

OK I finally got caught up! :freakedout: What happened to our regular posters?

Any live feed?

Thanks ~

Lets try this story...

You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We have seen these same things in Ferguson and Baltimore, too.

Hi pop

I find that disturbing - very. The airwaves are public property they belong to citizens. Internet has made some of that more a mes but in principle - it blocking to prevent public acess to infomration

[FONT=&quot]The right to impart and receive information is a species of the right to freedom of speech and expression guaranteed by Article 19 (1)(a) of the Constitution. A citizen has a fundamental right to use the best means of imparting and receiving information and as such to have an access to telecasting for the purpose. However, this right to have an access to telecasting has limitations on account of the use of the public property, Viz., the airwaves, involved in the exercise of the right and can be controlled and regulated by the public authority. This limitation imposed by the nature of the public property involved in the use of the electronic media is in addition to the restriction imposed on the right to freedom of speech and expression under Article 19 (2) of the Constitution.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](iii) The Central Government shall take immediate steps to establish an independent autonomous public authority representatives of all sections and interests in the society to control and regulate the use of the airwaves.

[/FONT]http://www.mib.nic.in/WriteReadData/documents/SUPREMECOURTJUDGEMENTONAIRWAVES.htm

To find out it is CNN makes it more scary. China does that.

Are you saying she is 21 years old and has a child that is 14?
If so someone else needs to check my math cause if that's the case she was 7 years old when she had the first one!!!!!
So where was her mom and dad?

I just made up numbers for the discussion of the system!! I cracked up when I read this tho - obviously they were younger but was not focusing on doing math!! Funny

CARIIS, when I had my daughter the hospital had basic parenting classes open to anyone. We did without a home phone for years, back then there were pay phones everywhere.
I'm not saying everyone can overcome a crappy beginning. I do think there are situations where a little boost of help is needed. My point is there ARE choices, like staying off the street, not having multiple babies, staying clean and sober, and so forth.

CARIIS, when I had my daughter the hospital had basic parenting classes open to anyone. We did without a home phone for years, back then there were pay phones everywhere.
I'm not saying everyone can overcome a crappy beginning. I do think there are situations where a little boost of help is needed. My point is there ARE choices, like staying off the street, not having multiple babies, staying clean and sober, and so forth.

I think its awesome that you got yourself out!! My concern is the widespread belief in our country is that we provide opportunity to get out of the cycle. Its concerning solely because as many continue to belive this, nothing will really change.

As we all, especially those of us here (I think most people dont even watch the news anymore - too busy with that running around looking for computer generated muchkins Pokeman thing!!

But our entire society is expericing the consequences of this core belief. Imagine, we could repair all our ills if we were not at war all the over place, and if we limited presiential elections to spending 1 million per candidate only - we could all be rich!!!

Our priorites are getting us in troubles. In the 50's AMerica number one might have been accurate, we are crumbling IMO.

Do I have "the" answer totally NOT, well I do actually !!! Smile

Term limits for congress!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangomitten