Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there an almost universal assumption that it was the Petitos who only agreed to settle because they didn't want to go on? More likely, it's that the Laundries didn't want to take it to trial because of what would come out. A settlement legally is equal to an admission of guilt, much like accepting a pardon, or taking an Alford plea. I see the settlement as a win for the Petito family who hopefully got an apology from the Laundrie famiy for their awful conduct in covering up for their son's crime. No reasonable person assumes "gone" means walked away. "Gone" implies permanency, death. Especially not, when immediately followed up with "I need a lawyer".
I consider myself to be a reasonable person and the use of the word "gone" in this situation could, in my opinion, mean that Gabby left BL because of a domestic violence incident not involving her being dead.

Domestic violence is a crime that can obviously require a person to retain a lawyer for help. JMO.

Jmo some people hearing gone in a conversation and think it means gone in some way. I do not believe for one moment that anyone who read all 3 depos in full, and I understand many did not, can not immediately understand the discussions, and the need for the criminal lawyer they hired in Wyoming. 100% solid in my view.

They mistook Roberta for Brian.

After Laundrie returned to Florida without Petito, police saw him drive away from his family home September 13 in his Ford Mustang, Taylor told WINK. Then, two days later, the Mustang returned.

"We thought that we had seen Brian come back into the home," Taylor said.

Police now believe the car had actually been driven back to the home by Laundrie's mother, Roberta Laundrie, Taylor said.

Yeah I don't think that's an ok oops for trained professionals, at least make darn sure? But I make mistakes so maybe it was just tough to see.

IMO Just one of many outrageous ways North Port PD screwed up.

IMO They messed up even before she was reported missing (by refusing to take the report) and even after Brian died.

It was so frustrating to see their screw-ups happening in real time. Even their spokesperson was condescending and dismissive IMO.

I hope Gabby's parents sue them, too. But I understand mourning parents can only do so much. God Bless Gabby's family.

Jmo some people hearing gone in a conversation and think it means gone in some way. I do not believe for one moment that anyone who read all 3 depos in full, and I understand many did not, can not immediately understand the discussions, and the need for the criminal lawyer they hired in Wyoming. 100% solid in my view.
Of course everyone has their own opinion on what "gone" means in this case.

I don't feel it means the Laundries knew that it meant Gabby was dead. Their statements say they didn't know she was dead. JMO.

I don't believe BL's parents knew BL was suicidal. I don't believe they knew GP was dead because if they did know, BL wouldn't have had to write his confessional suicide letter on his journal.

I will never believe any parent "accepts" that their child is suicidal and does nothing. Over the years, my family has known the families of suicide victims and they have been absolutely devastated.

I've never heard of any parent of a young suicidal adult who does absolutely nothing if they are concerned about suicide. That's quite a leap to make with no evidence. This is a civil trial, not a criminal trial.

JMO

BBM ^

IMO Just because his parents already knew doesn't mean he wouldn't write it in his journal. I don't get why that would have anything to do with it.

IMO It's obvious by now that his parents knew.

And yes of course there are countless parents who do nothing when their children are suicidal. There are neglected children, estranged children, abused children, and even children killed by the parents themselves.

So IMO it's not much of a leap, especially knowing what we know about BL's parents.

Last edited:
He

I don't feel it means the Laundries knew that it meant Gabby was dead. Their statements say they didn't know she was dead. JMO.
We've had this exact discussion before. Why didn't Roberta follow up to ask him exactly what "gone" meant then or why he needed a lawyer??? IMO, it's because she already knew. They'd had fights before. Brian had never used the terminology "gone" coupled with "I need a lawyer", and domestic violence can result in different degrees of injury, including death.
Also, just because they put it in a statement doesn't verify the truthfulness of a public statement.

Last edited:
We've had this exact discussion before. Why didn't Roberta follow up to ask him exactly what "gone" meant then??? IMO, it's because she already knew. They'd had fights before. Brian had never used the terminology "gone" coupled with "I need a lawyer", and domestic violence can result in different degrees of injury, including death.
We did? I don't know. Of course that's true.

I was just giving you examples--none of us really have any clue as to what sort of accusations could come out had the case gone to trial.

As to whether the Petitos agreed enthusiastically or reluctantly--we'll probably never know. But given that 95% of civil cases never go to trial, the odds were always in favor of the case being settled or dropped.

My thoughts are that the Petitos had decided (mostly) to settle back when they agreed to mediation. Otherwise, there would be no point to mediation. Mediation means -- let's work this out.

And, I think it was the best decision for both families. Both lost children.
I don’t know how I feel about that statement, “Both lost children.”
The pain and suffering of the Petito family was much worse than the Laundries. They had not heard from their child for weeks and were concerned and that was only compounded by the Laundries refusal to communicate with them or police. That action alone, spoke volumes to the Petito’s and only made them more worried, panicked and fearful, not to mention angry. Gabby was the victim, Brian was a coward who killed himself. <modsnip> They knew what was happening the whole time, while they deliberately left the Petitos in the dark, which is a Hell that I cannot imagine. <modsnip: not from friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course everyone has their own opinion on what "gone" means in this case.

BBM. Good point. Their depo statements are why this case settled in mediation. The only time I've heard anyone use the word, "gone" to mean "dead" is in a hospital or hospice setting after a patient dies.

There was no real evidence against the Laundries. The depositions make it abundantly clear that the Laundries were not certain what Brian meant with "gone" and they also make it abundantly clear their attorney, Bertolino, told them not to ask Brian any questions. The plaintiffs' attorney, Reilly, asked the Judge to force Bertolino to breach attorney/client privilege. A direct result of Bertolino's response was for Reilly to withdraw his motion. At that point, this case ended, and Reilly knew it.

JMO

"Had attorney Reilly researched the law he would have known this before he filed the motion," he said. "Pat Reilly got the publicity he wanted from filing the motion but once my attorneys filed a substantively superior response, he had little choice but to withdraw it."

A hearing scheduled on the motion was canceled Tuesday because it was withdrawn, according to Bertolino.
Reilly declined comment.

I don’t know how I feel about that statement, “Both lost children.”
The pain and suffering of the Petito family was much worse than the Laundries. They had not heard from their child for weeks and were concerned and that was only compounded by the Laundries refusal to communicate with them or police. That action alone, spoke volumes to the Petito’s and only made them more worried, panicked and fearful, not to mention angry. Gabby was the victim, Brian was a coward who killed himself. <modsnip> They knew what was happening the whole time, while they deliberately left the Petitos in the dark, which is a Hell that I cannot imagine. <modsnip: not from friendly>

Both of these sets of parents lost their children. It's impossible to quantify their suffering and say that one suffered more than the other. Each person is unique and their relationships are unique. I don't doubt that they all suffered immeasurably.

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

God bless all of them, the Petitos and Laundries, and my heart goes out to all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is there an almost universal assumption that it was the Petitos who only agreed to settle because they didn't want to go on? More likely, it's that the Laundries didn't want to take it to trial because of what would come out. A settlement legally is equal to an admission of guilt, much like accepting a pardon, or taking an Alford plea. I see the settlement as a win for the Petito family who hopefully got an apology from the Laundrie famiy for their awful conduct in covering up for their son's crime. No reasonable person assumes "gone" means walked away. "Gone" implies permanency, death. Especially not, when immediately followed up with "I need a lawyer".
There are all kinds of reasons why people settle civil cases, and it is not at all like an alford plea or an indication of guilt, as suggested.

I think both sides equally wanted to settle, although both sides had reservations. Probably the Laundries had reservations because they knew some people would claim that they settled because they were guilty. Probably the Petitos settled because they knew they would lose the case with a jury trial.

In any event, they no longer continue to litigate the case, it's over. Looks to me like it was a win-win. Which is what mediation is, at its best.

Last edited:
BBM ^

IMO Just because his parents already knew doesn't mean he wouldn't write it in his journal. I don't get why that would have anything to do with it.

IMO It's obvious by now that his parents knew.

And yes of course there are countless parents who do nothing when their children are suicidal. There are neglected children, estranged children, abused children, and even children killed by the parents themselves.

So IMO it's not much of a leap, especially knowing what we know about BL's parents.
There's nothing I have read or seen on this forum that would lead me to believe that BL's parents would "do nothing" in the face of BL's choice to commit suicide. In the end, it's very difficulty and heartbreaking for parents to learn that a young adult who is suicidal will go ahead and complete the act of suicide in spite of their love and efforts to help him or her.

There's nothing I have read or seen on this forum that would lead me to believe that BL's parents would "do nothing" in the face of BL's choice to commit suicide. In the end, it's very difficulty and heartbreaking for parents to learn that a young adult who is suicidal will go ahead and complete the act of suicide in spite of their love and efforts to help him or her.
When Brian left the Laundrie house in an "emotional state", they physically could not stop their son... but calling 911 could keep him from harming himself.
Getting Brian psychiatric help or hospitalizing him would have saved his life. It was just a phone call away.
The Laundries also failed to ensure their firearms were secured, or even accounted for.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not Brian's parents knew he was going to harm himself. (Beyond thinking it might be a possibility.)

I was responding to someone's post that said in part, "I will never believe any parent "accepts" that their child is suicidal and does nothing."

I showed their quote in my response and I even bolded to show what I was responding to.

IMO, they knew Brian killed Gabby. But whether they knew he was going to hurt himself, I don't know.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not Brian's parents knew he was going to harm himself. (Beyond thinking it might be a possibility.)

I was responding to someone's post that said in part, "I will never believe any parent "accepts" that their child is suicidal and does nothing."

I showed their quote in my response and I even bolded to show what I was responding to.

IMO, they knew Brian killed Gabby. But whether they knew he was going to hurt himself, I don't know.
I'm trying to understand your point of view.

You're certain that the Laundries knew BL killed Gabby before he killed himself and left the note. You're not certain that the Lanudries knew BL was suicidal.

Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member