Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is all Gabby's family wanted: Info.
But the word "reluctantly" means to me they settled without getting that.
I doubt their family attorney lied in his public statement:
From link posted upthread:

Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts to spending time with and prioritizing their families and fostering the Gabby Petito Foundation.

Bbm, oh nobody ever did, or would protest the Petitos and Schmidts. They have many supporters worldwide who pray for them including me and many here and everywhere jme
I totally support them, too, and I would happily donate to their foundation that seeks to reduce domestic violence in Gabby's name.

But, the Petitos have chosen to move forward and end their case against the Laundries.

In their statement, the Petitos said, "Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby."

So, I would hope those who formerly protested--or anyone--would allow the Petitos do close that chapter as they've indicated they want to.

Any protesting of the Laundries at this point doesn't help the Petitos close that chapter--it only fans the flames of angst. If the goal is truly to honor the Petitos, people will abide by their decision.

This is just MOO, but I feel that anyone who chose to protest the Laundries at this point would be doing it for their own gratification rather than the support of Gabby's family. Because Gabby's family has expressed their "hope" to move on. All MOO.

I think it's possible the Laundries gave an apology and paid zero dollars to reach a resolution in the lawsuit.

Since it's confidential there's no way to say for sure. JMO.

That's my thought as well. JP said several times that they didn't want money, so I'm guessing they got their apology and no money.

What happened in mediation probably should have happened a long time ago, and this would never have turned into the conflict it did. Just MOO.

We'll never know for sure, but the hints in the statements about ending the personal conflict tell me both parties will breathe easier now.

I wish the best for both. This has been an incredibly sad chapter in their lives and I hope both can move forward and find some sort of peace.

Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts to spending time with and prioritizing their families and fostering the Gabby Petito Foundation.

I got that feeling upon hearing they were going to mediation--that they'd obtained their answers--at least some of them--through the depositions. I really think--all MOO--that hearing that the Laundries loved Gabby, too, might also have made a difference.

Aa

I doubt the attorney out and out lied.

But I think crafting a statement may have been a bit tricky because I remain convinced NS & JP may not have been entirely on the same page about the suit. As posted before, in his Aug 23, 2023 deposition Joe P said with the Laundrie lawsuit he was “looking to hurt them as much as they hurt us. I don’t want—I don’t give a s*** about a dime. I don’t. I don’t care. I work. I do well. It’s not about the money, I want to make them hurt as much as they hurt us. As I told Pat, there’s not amount of money that I would settle for, not a dime.”

It's not just he said he didn't want money. Nowhere does he say he wants an apology (or even answers) and from my impression of JP, I doubt he ever wanted an apology. It's quite possible though Nicole S wanted one. They don't seem much alike to me.

The Moab situation was discussed at length in both JP & NS's depositions. (Joe, not NS, was the main one talking to GP during the stop. I also learned GP told them blood on her face in the photo she apparently sent to NS was BL's not hers because she had scratched his face with her rings and touched her face.)

If this case had gone to trial, I'm sure the Moab stop would have been discussed even more. Joe does say he learned from GP's text messages GP & BL did NOT stay apart that night as police had ordered them to do or risk going to jail. (I know many of us suspected that all along.) He also said GP told him she had no idea why LE had ever wanted to arrest her. That doesn't really match with the transcript of what was said during the stop.

In the grand scheme of things it may have been advantageous to end this lawsuit without a trial to avoid damage to their chances with the Moab suit. I agree too they probably didn't want Rick S to be pushed to reveal who on their side made statements about the Laundries and SB needing to be dead. They don't want to lose "the high road" position they have. For one thing, that could impact their foundation. And while there's been much more press about the Laundries' depositions, I'm pretty sure Moab attorneys have poured over those from the Petito side. Trial testimony could have been worse.
JMO

There seems to be a unspoken assumption that the Petito/Schmidt lawyers were working on contingency. Do we know that? There also is an unspoken assumption that the Laudries are rich and could make a large payout. Do we actually know that? Did the Petito/Schmidt lawyers take the case for free publicity, or did they expect to get paid?

Unless the lawyers wanted free publicity or had evidence the Laundries had lots of money, they may have wanted to get paid up front by the plaintiffs.

Possibly Bertolino's malpractice insurance might have paid, but most malpractice insurance does not cover intentional torts. This lawsuit alleged an intentional act of malice.

I suspect the case was about to enter a very expensive phase which neither side could easily afford.

And for the record: There is a reason OJ Simpson moved from California to Florida after he lost his civil case and was able to live in a very nice house (until his criminal conviction). It can be hard to collect money in a civil case.

Last edited:
There seems to be a unspoken assumption that the Petito/Schmidt lawyers were working on contingency. Do we know that? There also is an unspoken assumption that the Laudries are rich and could make a large payout. Do we actually know that? Did the Petito/Schmidt lawyers take the case for free publicity, or did they expect to get paid?

Unless the lawyers wanted free publicity of had evidence the Laundries had lots of money, they may have wanted to get paid up front by the plaintiffs.

Possibly Bertolino's malpractice insurance might have paid, but most malpractice insurance does not cover intentional torts. This lawsuit alleged and intention act of malice.

I suspect the case was about to enter a very expensive phase which neither side could easily afford.

And for the record: There is a reason OJ Simpson moved from California to Florida after he lost his civil case and was able to live in a very nice house (until his criminal conviction). It can be hard to collect money in a civil case.
Obviously I can't know but I don't think the Laundries have alot of money. And they are at or nearing the typical age for retirement. From what Joe P said in his deposition, HE didn't seem to think the Laundries had deep pockets either. When asked by the Laundries' attorney how the lawsuit would make them suffer JP said "....So they’ve got to sit there and be tormented and pay legal bills for all of you guys. And I don’t give a s***. I hope they go bankrupt on your s***. I truly do. I don’t want a dime from them. I don’t give a s*** about their money.”

‘Gabby’s gone’: Brian Laundrie’s parents reveal what happened after Petito’s death in new depositions

I don't know how much would have been charged upfront but personally I doubt the attorneys for the Petito family were working on contingency. I just don't think the lawsuit was a legal slam-dunk and if the case had been lost at trial, that would have demonstrated not all publicity is good publicity-- like the publicity for losing a high-profile civil case. It's possible some of the expenses for the case have been (legally) charged to the foundation but I doubt all of them could be. So I imagine expenses were mounting for both sides.
MOO

Obviously I can't know but I don't think the Laundries have alot of money. And they are at or nearing the typical age for retirement. From what Joe P said in his deposition, HE didn't seem to think the Laundries had deep pockets either. When asked by the Laundries' attorney how the lawsuit would make them suffer JP said "....So they’ve got to sit there and be tormented and pay legal bills for all of you guys. And I don’t give a s***. I hope they go bankrupt on your s***. I truly do. I don’t want a dime from them. I don’t give a s*** about their money.”

‘Gabby’s gone’: Brian Laundrie’s parents reveal what happened after Petito’s death in new depositions

I don't know how much would have been charged upfront but personally I doubt the attorneys for the Petito family were working on contingency. I just don't think the lawsuit was a legal slam-dunk and if the case had been lost at trial, that would have demonstrated not all publicity is good publicity-- like the publicity for losing a high-profile civil case. It's possible some of the expenses for the case have been (legally) charged to the foundation but I doubt all of them could be. So I imagine expenses were mounting for both sides.
MOO
BBM. Is it legal for a non-profit to use donations to pay legal fees? I have no idea.

I don't believe a jury would have found for the plaintiffs after learning the death threats directed at the Laundries and Bertolino. The are several high-profile attorneys who seem to seek publicity for themselves and not care about the case or what it does to our system of justice.

JMO

BBM. Is it legal for a non-profit to use donations to pay legal fees? I have no idea.

I don't believe a jury would have found for the plaintiffs after learning the death threats directed at the Laundries and Bertolino. The are several high-profile attorneys who seem to seek publicity for themselves and not care about the case or what it does to our system of justice.

JMO
I honestly don't know what's a legal expenditure for the kind of private non-profit charity they have set up. I certainly wasn't suggesting anything nefarious was done but there are legal fees and there are legal fees. Using foundation money to pay for say, an attorney because a board member got a DUI is one thing and I'm sure that's not ok. But other situations? Maybe? When the case relates to the missing person case/death of the person the foundation was named for? Also though, when I said expenses related to the lawsuit might be able to be charged to the foundation, I meant expenses more broadly than just attorney's fees. While I agree some lawyers will do all kinds of things for publicity, given the statement the Petitos & Schmidts released, I think their attorneys were getting paid by somebody.

All in all, I think both sides had reasons for wanting the case to end. MOO

I honestly don't know what's a legal expenditure for the kind of private non-profit charity they have set up. I certainly wasn't suggesting anything nefarious was done but there are legal fees and there are legal fees. Using foundation money to pay for say, an attorney because a board member got a DUI is one thing and I'm sure that's not ok. But other situations? Maybe? When the case relates to the missing person case/death of the person the foundation was named for? Also though, when I said expenses related to the lawsuit might be able to be charged to the foundation, I meant expenses more broadly than just attorney's fees. While I agree some lawyers will do all kinds of things for publicity, given the statement the Petitos & Schmidts released, I think their attorneys were getting paid by somebody.

BBM. I hadn't thought about it one way or another because I had forgotten they had established the Foundation. It's possible their attorneys may have been paid by donor contributions because one of the attorneys is on the board of directors.

JMO

[....]
The Laundries did not have an attorney when Brian called them. Before they even talked to their attorney it crossed their minds Gabby could be hurt, lost or dead. There is no excuse for not calling Gabby's mom.
[....]
Snipped by me. ^

IMO

Since the case began, the Laundries' silence is often excused as simply following attorney advice, or having no obligation to speak up, or using their right to remain silent.

"The right thing to do" depends on who you're asking. Trying to justify and make some sort of sense out of BL's parent's actions (or lack thereof) ends up as exercises in exasperation, frustration, wonder, anger, understanding, dizziness, realizations, rationalizations, and so on.

Some will always see what they did as indefensible, some will always believe they have nothing to defend.

For me, it's very simple. Strip away all the possible reasons, details, family dynamics, speculations, distractions, and deflections:

A young couple lived in a home with the man's parents. The young couple go on a trip. The man tells his parents the woman is gone, and he comes home alone.

The man's parents receive calls and texts from the woman's parents asking if they've heard from the couple. Although they do have some information, the man's parents don't respond.

The woman's parents become more frantic and pleading.

Their daughter lives with the man's parents. Their house is her home.

The woman is officially reported missing. Her parents publicly beg and plead with the man's parents to just tell what they know, no matter how small. The man's parents continue their silence.

________

IMO-

Whether BL's parents knew absolutely nothing, or knew absolutely everything, nothing justifies what they did here. But they did have some information, and that makes it so much worse.

(I partially blame authorities, but that's another topic.)

I don't try to make sense of the Laundrie's actions because I know <modsnip> there are people who are like that.

<modsnip>

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Snipped by me. ^

IMO

Since the case began, the Laundries' silence is often excused as simply following attorney advice, or having no obligation to speak up, or using their right to remain silent.

"The right thing to do" depends on who you're asking. Trying to justify and make some sort of sense out of BL's parent's actions (or lack thereof) ends up as exercises in exasperation, frustration, wonder, anger, understanding, dizziness, realizations, rationalizations, and so on.

Some will always see what they did as indefensible, some will always believe they have nothing to defend.

For me, it's very simple. Strip away all the possible reasons, details, family dynamics, speculations, distractions, and deflections:

A young couple lived in a home with the man's parents. The young couple go on a trip. The man tells his parents the woman is gone, and he comes home alone.

The man's parents receive calls and texts from the woman's parents asking if they've heard from the couple. Although they do have some information, the man's parents don't respond.

The woman's parents become more frantic and pleading.

Their daughter lives with the man's parents. Their house is her home.

The woman is officially reported missing. Her parents publicly beg and plead with the man's parents to just tell what they know, no matter how small. The man's parents continue their silence.

________

IMO-

Whether BL's parents knew absolutely nothing, or knew absolutely everything, nothing justifies what they did here. But they did have some information, and that makes it so much worse.

(I partially blame authorities, but that's another topic.)

I don't try to make sense of the Laundrie's actions because I know <modsnip> there are people who are like that.

<modsnip>

IMO

Yup.

If they thought she was alive they would have no reason not to take the mom's phone calls. No reason to not encourage a search, etc...

But to know their son killed her, they couldn't answer the phone calls. The attorney specifically told Chris "gone" could mean dead and Roberta specifically admitted "gone" crossed her mind as Gabby being dead.

Makes sense to avoid the parents of the daughter their son killed.

If only their attorney hadn't put out that statement they could have simply had the case dismissed and gotten away with it.

2 Cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't try to make sense of the Laundrie's actions because I know, we all know, there are people who are like that.

We assume there's a standard sense of decency and moral obligation and that most people have it.
RSBM
IMO I completely agree.

IMHO People can understand a father's rage for justice when their daughter was murdered so violently, and then denied information. Because it is relatable, understandable to most people with empathy.

I don't know who made any death threats, but I'm curious to read all these life-threatening letters RL and CL received. Wouldn't the FBI be involved for sending threats through the mail and track the writer down pretty quickly?

Does anyone have a copy of the death threat letters the Laundries received?

BBM. I hadn't thought about it one way or another because I had forgotten they had established the Foundation. It's possible their attorneys may have been paid by donor contributions because one of the attorneys is on the board of directors.

JMO

I'm sure the victim's family would be happy to discuss how their charity works, they can be reached at:
info@gabbypetitofoundation.org

No they cannot use any of the money for themselves including personal attorney fees.

The Gabby Petito Foundation is an IRS registered 501(c)(3) organization effective from October 22, 2021

Requirements of a 501(c)(3) Organization​

An organization must not be serving any private interests to be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3). These include the interests of the creator, the creator’s family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or other persons controlled by private interests. None of the net earnings of the organization can be used to benefit any private shareholder or individual. All earnings must be used solely for the advancement of its charitable cause. They must pay their employees fair market value wages.

Last edited:
No they cannot use any of the money for themselves including personal attorney fees.

Requirements of a 501(c)(3) Organization​

An organization must not be serving any private interests to be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3). These include the interests of the creator, the creator’s family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or other persons controlled by private interests. None of the net earnings of the organization can be used to benefit any private shareholder or individual. All earnings must be used solely for the advancement of its charitable cause. They must pay their employees fair market value wages.

Good to know. But I guess it depends on how a "private interest" is defined. It's not entirely clear to me this lawsuit was entirely "private" in that sense. But leaving this one aside, would the case against the City of Moab be a private interest too? I'm pretty sure it's been stated part of the purpose of that lawsuit is to ensure future mistakes aren't made when assessing DV cases.
MOO

I'm happy that Gabby's family found the answers they needed to end the lawsuit and to work on the Gabby Petito Foundation.

I'm sure it will be very rewarding for them to help people with the foundation. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname