Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought both of these sightings were confirmed to NOT be him. I can't find the stories, so much stuff, but do I have that wrong?

The police in the deer cam jurisdiction said two things basically:

1. "No one - and nothing - of note was located." (i.e. They didn't find anything or anybody.)

2. "The individual referenced in the post below has no known ties to our area." (It's unclear if they are referencing BL or mystery guy.)

Neither of those statements means it wasn't him. It just means they didn't find any humans and nobody in the area recognized the guy in the screenshot.

Edited due to posting error.

Sigh.. has the search expanded? Was the deer footage cam proven not tot be Brian? Seems like resources are condensed and in one area. Maybe they are taking leads and following up. But I don't think swamps are going to be his answer for escape. Just getting frustrated with swamp searchs. Why not an arrest warrant. A wanted APB. This could put more eyes on watch and reach more people than just news coverage.

I posted yesterday. Live northeast of search area in similar terrain & had multiple agencies aircraft over us for a while yesterday as search took off south clearly searching area w no known local activity.

I keep bouncing back and forth. If the LE quickly dismissed this they must believe he is dead. Surely they are not that inept to discard sightings and become nearsighted only.

The path photo is clearly not him. I really don't see how people keep convincing themselves otherwise. The guy in the photo is heavier, older, different hairline, and dressed much sloppier than BL has been seen to dress (i.e. saggy oversized shirt). Even if you are inclined to think he's wearing some 'found' clothes or whatever, this guy just doesn't look like him.

Likely LE isn't going to comment further because they don't want to drop this guy into the online hysteria around this case.

I went on a road trip out west with my kids this spring. We wanted to bring a firearm for protection but didn’t because California has laws that made it an issue to bring one there. I don’t remember the details. I don’t think? They went to California but I’d assume they were planning to. Anyway just sharing our experience obviously don’t know how it relates to their decisions.

California is definitely one of the states where it’s a huge no-no. The northeast is like that too. I went on a road trip solo through New England a few years ago and had to contact CT state police just to tell them I was driving through. I’m a stickler for following the law when it comes to traveling with a handgun or any firearm.

It doesn’t look like they traveled to CA on this trip and most, if not all, of the states from FL to WY allow open carry aka traveling with a firearm as long as it’s not concealed. Not that everyone follows the law though.

I
You know the parents could save a (little) face here by getting on TV and pleading for BL to turn himself in. I know if it was my son, I would be flipped out with everyone searching for him. I would be out there trying to find him first out of fear for his safety.
I am wondering if the fbi has asked them not to. They did call off their press conference because of an fbi request as I understand it. I am guessing they have been way more involved than we have been privy to.

Anyone know the groups involved in the search for Brian? I was wondering if the Nat'l Guard is there or if they could be called in for a situation like this? It would seem now that there's been a release for federal agencies that maybe they'll be able to get more feet on the swamp?

There seems to be holes in the timeline between Salt Lake City and Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area. I'm not confident (MOO) that the Happy Halloween Monarch/pumpkin instagram picture is from 2021. It seemed more consistent with pictures from a fall 2019 early 2020 road trip in similar areas.

We know GP checked out of the hotel in SLC with BL. There is then a FaceTime call with her mom that same day. (Do we know that call occurred inside Grand Tetons? was it on the way to Grand Tetons?). After that sightings are only of the van. Did anyone else see her at the Monarch mural? Did anyone see her buy the pumpkin? All of the sightings within Grand Teton are of the Van and BL alone.

Good observation about the Monarch mural/pumpkin photo - her hair is quite a bit shorter in that photo than it is in other pics from this trip. IMO

Just wondering...BL is 23 years old. I haven’t heard anywhere what he has done to support himself since graduating high school. Was he in college? If he’s working, how’s he get so much time off to wander out west. I guess the same questions apply to Gabby but at least she was trying to build her blog. Maybe that’s what made him mad. She was transitioning to a responsible adult.
How were they supporting themselves on the road?

I believe they worked in BL's parents juice stand/bar, and BL or both had worked at Publix (I have seen a few jobs). Looks like they lived with BL parents (no rent), and sold some stuff for the trip.

Looks like a transit connect goes for 9-11K. Throw in supplies, camera equip, and customization. They are on the road for 20K. Most cost on road up to the hotels and flights in August, was gas and food.

So, maybe he went to the reserve to kill himself, that's possible, of course, but I keep coming back to the fact that he could have killed himself anywhere, and if that was his plan, it might make better sense to do it where he would be easily found so his parents didn't suffer. JMOO

I don't think he care(d) at all about his parents suffering at all. I think*IF* Brian were to kill himself he would want to do it in his favorite "spot".
He's a very nostalgic person. His plants are his friends. The outdoors means a lot to him.

As the days pass with no sign of him I'm more inclined to think he isn't in there and/or he isn't dead. They have so many cadaver dogs out there it would be really hard for a swamp rotting corpse in FL heat to evade their noses for this long IMO.

I wonder about this, too. It can wrap my head around the strategy of a decoy search to flush him out elsewhere, but it does seem like A LOT of resources are being used if that is the case. Perhaps they are going at both the sightings and the park in full force because they can't be certain? It also seems they were quick to discount the deer sighting with much of a real explanation. IDK. Makes you wonder.

The cynic part of me wonders if they know he's fled the country via traceable airplane records. They know he was in that reserve for a number of days prior to him leaving the country (does FOIA allow access to flight records NOT documented by LE?). They think he's disposed of evidence there, perhaps evidence that could be related to the cause of death, evidence that 100%, unequivocally links BL to GP's demise. Finding this evidence could be the piece of the puzzle that officially makes BL the prime suspect, and with this evidence, they can get an arrest warrant and arrest him from wherever he potentially fled.

I thought both of these sightings were confirmed to NOT be him. I can't find the stories, so much stuff, but do I have that wrong?

The deercam image was discounted, AFAIK, but I don't remember about the first. I'm not claiming there's a chance these images are him, necessarily - I was just commenting that I didn't think it was the same shirt. I'd be open to other people's interpretations, though, as it would be truly wild it they were appearing to be the same shirt in both!

The colours looks very similar… he could have turned his shirt inside out?

As above, it's possible and I'd be really keen to hear the opinions of some people with experience analysing images - unfortunately, my speciality as an editor is with the written word. That's an interesting theory, but my inclination also is that the second image doesn't look a lot like BL, to my untrained eyes.

The path photo is clearly not him. I really don't see how people keep convincing themselves otherwise. The guy in the photo is heavier, older, different hairline, and dressed much sloppier than BL has been seen to dress (i.e. saggy oversized shirt). Even if you are inclined to think he's wearing some 'found' clothes or whatever, this guy just doesn't look like him.

Likely LE isn't going to comment further because they don't want to drop this guy into the online hysteria around this case.
Agree! The guy looks so different!

California is definitely one of the states where it’s a huge no-no. The northeast is like that too. I went on a road trip solo through New England a few years ago and had to contact CT state police just to tell them I was driving through. I’m a stickler for following the law when it comes to traveling with a handgun or any firearm.

It doesn’t look like they traveled to CA on this trip and most, if not all, of the states from FL to WY allow open carry aka traveling with a firearm as long as it’s not concealed. Not that everyone follows the law though.
Each state has it's own rules. It's always a good idea to check with the local authorities before bringing a weapon across state lines.

Or the
Or the Bahamas. It’s a pretty quick boat ride.
I kind of think he got out of the country before the heat was on.

My Thought was Cuba because they are so isolated from outside news, super bribable (because the extreme poverty) and very few tourists to spot him (None unless he's in Havana). That's the assumption I was banking on when I was planning my "mission"!

CM from the interview room think he went to the Appalachian Trail.

BL mentioned that trail a couple of times of hiking there alot and he got a shirt with Appalachian trail on it. It seems like he feels comfortable there.

I don't know if it is already mentioned. It is difficult to follow this thread.
The weather is not much better on the Appalachian Trail right now. Rainy, humid, mosquitoes, spiders, snakes, etc - plus bears! However, it's supposed to be much cooler over the next week as fall begins. (I live in East Tennessee). If he is there he could hike out to some college town in the Georgia or North Carolina mountains and nobody would look twice at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase