Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that - I haven't read it, but I've seen the film and it works in part because the main character cannot fully distinguish between the fictional world (in his own mind) and his more ordinary states of mind. People who are weak on "theory of other minds" (Baron-Cohen's research in the UK is pretty amazing on this topic - Sasha's cousin), think everyone else's minds work more or less like theirs do and in some cases, have a strong belief that other people actually share their own values, worldview and general sense of right and wrong. People usually begin to realize that other people don't necessarily like the same things they do at around age 4-5 and then it continues to develop throughout life.

Thx for the Baron-Cohen tidbit - I had no idea!

And for some reason, I've fallen asleep in FC (the movie) at least three times, maybe more, and early in the movie, even though it is of a style and genre and substance that I enjoy. And yet for all that, I'm having to make a point not to "see" the characters in the book as their on-screen actors. Anyway, it's a short book - couple of hours - worth a read, though so far the movie appears to track the book closely. Maybe I'll try the movie again once I finish.

Going to have to consider more on the "theory of other minds" concept, though. How does it square up with a hypothetical young 20-something who perhaps perceived himself as exceedingly unique in that way (a common teen/20-something affliction, especially unless/until college or independent reading/input flips on the switch to realize that there are a lot of young Werthers out there)?

I agree. Maybe Brian should have just offed himself in Wyoming. He probably had no idea that he would end up destroying his parents and sisters lives too

Probably not a well received take, but I feel bad for the Laundrie family. It seems like they've cooperated fully since they reported their son missing but have been harassed and trashed since this case blew open. (I thought WS was victim friendly? As far as I'm concerned, the parents are victims as well).

The conspiracy theories brewing are grotesque and absurd.

I hope they and the Petito family can find answers and peace.

They never said that. They said they "knew exactly where he was" repeatedly until the 17th, when he was reported missing, and then their PR became "We had no reason to keep him under surveillance, he wasn't a suspect in a crime, we don't track citizens, and you are all a bunch of meanies" (paraphrasing slightly).
I imagine they had his lawyer's undertaking he was where e said he was going to be.
I'm not sure how much they could have done about that because Gabby was still a missing person at that stage.

How can they sue the parents since they were 2000 miles from the murder site and there is no evidence connecting them to the murder.
MOO
The fbi has phone/text/computer records from the Laundies and everyone they know. Going back at least back through all of August.
I am convinced (MOO) they have dialogue showing the parents obstruction of justice regarding purchases they made to help BL split. Possibly actual phone/text exchanges.
The parents were the actions of people who were certain their son was about to be in BIG legal trouble, even before GP was reported missing.
Maybe GPs family could sue for pain and suffering. Not saying they would win a case like that, BUT I could ,As someone earlier mentioned require the LE and FBI to disclose evidence?
MOO

I don’t think he thought it would take this long for someone to find him. IIRC we had unusual rains during that time.
Unresolved: why the parents were unable, during 4 or more hours of searching, to find him the day he went missing, or the following days had they chosen to search for him. Yet, a month later they made a beeline to his things, the bag and the notebook, and very nearly to the backpack and body itself. What happened between the day he went missing, when they couldn't find him (or did they?), and the day they knew, IMO, exactly where to look. IMO

Truly, an alligator could live in any body of water large or small in eastern coastal plain of the U.S. I wouldn't stand too close to a ditch full of water anywhere south of Atlanta, and every swamp has alligators even parks like Mykkahatchi where they encourage camping and fishing. JMOO This story about a fatal attack during the flooding in Louisiana from Hurricane Ida in Septembet happened very close to downtown New Orleans. A woman saved her husband then went to seek help but the alligator attacked him again and must have dragged him under the water.
Louisiana man presumed dead in Ida floodwater alligator attack survived Hurricane Katrina, officials say

I'll probably never get past this story:

Florida Disney alligator saw boy as prey, report says | CNN

THAT is exactly how I feel. If the Laundries had handled this like they should have, in my opinion, then when he came home without Gabby, they should have gotten the truth from him and called LE. They didn't. As a result, there are two young people dead now.

Absolutely.

IMO, they cut off their nose to spite their face, as my mother always says.

How can they sue the parents since they were 2000 miles from the murder site and there is no evidence connecting them to the murder.
MOO
The fbi has phone/text/computer records from the Laundies and everyone they know. Going back at least back through all of August.
I am convinced (MOO) they have dialogue showing the parents obstruction of justice regarding purchases they made to help BL split. And LE prob has video and receipts for said purchases. Possibly actual phone/text exchanges.
The parents behavior were the actions of people who were certain their son was about to be in BIG legal trouble, even before GP was reported missing.
Maybe GPs family could sue for pain and suffering. Not saying they would win a case like that, BUT it could ,As someone earlier mentioned require the LE and FBI to disclose evidence?
MOO

Theft, bank fraud, a material witness warrant, a subpoena. There are lots of stupid charges that regular people face every day to hold them or harass them while LE investigates cases.
Bank fraud charges didn't come until after her body was discovered. Federal charges.
They had to go through his lawyer.

I've been tied up in meetings all afternoon and evening, so forgive me...but is there evidence that it was suicide for BL? Or was it simply not surviving out there?

I believe the NPPD were angry at the Ls and took it personally.
They didn't take them seriously.
Then evidence and human remains were found right where the Ls had always maintained was where BL would most likely be found.
Even the LEO who took the evidence from CL wasn't wearing gloves.

It is mind boggling.

jmho
Just saying, no. 1, even an imbecile would know not to touch evidence.

I know everyone wishes they knew more details - but the truth is, even if he were brought back alive, we still would probably not know details, or not feel like we knew all the truth.

It could be as simple as he had a psychiatric break - it certainly seemed like he was headed that way with the restaurant incident, and Gabby's friends had said he'd had episodes of hearing voices. He could have heard voices in his head that she was evil, and killed her, only later coming out of that state and realizing what he had done. Or it could have been a heated fight. We'll never know, and likely wouldn't even if he were sitting in a jail cell.

You might have seen, last night on Cuomo they were already alluding on air to a future sit-down w the Laundries... I thought it was SO, so tacky.

I really don't understand it. I have a couple of clients who were literally clients #2 and #3 when I started my own practice. They are still clients. They are now very big, successful businesses that make cool products that help people. It's the same small management teams from when they were young guys and girls in their garages to over a decade later running big businesses. When I have to break bad news to them or we are unable to solve a problem for them, I genuinely feel bad. I will feel sad like I let down a friend. That's how close you can get to people you work with as a lawyer over time. It's not just transactional or trying to find a loophole - it's trying to do your best to help your client get the best outcome possible.

The idea that your clients of 20 years lost their son and are at the center of a media storm that you contributed to and you...decide to go on TV repeatedly is just...I really don't understand. It's gross and this is why people hate lawyers. lol

The fact they may have led investigators to their son’s possessions and possibly his remains — that all undercuts the argument that they were aiding and abetting his escape,” attorney Neama Rahmani, president of West Coast Trial Lawyers, told the Sun.

“That leads me to believe they’ve been cooperative and not the other way around,” he added.

Rahmani said he believes the remains found near a bridge that connects the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park and adjoining Carlton Reserve likely belong to Laundrie — “unless he was trying to plant evidence next to someone else’s remains to throw law enforcement off his tracks.”

The lawyer told the Sun he believes Laundrie was involved in his girlfriend Gabby Petito’s murder, but said his apparent death means authorities will have a hard time solving the sensational case.

“I’m sure Gabby Petito’s family wants some sort of closure, but if Brian Laundrie is dead, this is as good as it’s going to get,” he said.

Dog days are over: TV bounty hunter calls off search for Brian Laundrie after remains found.

'Won't be much left:' Locals chime in on remains found in Brian Laundrie search

https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/brian-laundries-parents-possibly-vindicated -by-remains-finding/
What an odd comment for that attorney to make. They could certainly have been aiding/supporting an escape, but once aware he was dead or likely/possibly so, no reason any longer not to assist in the search/give information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member