Zimmerman Real Time Trial Thread Only *NO DISCUSSION* 06/26/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury not in yet. OM now asking witness again about the pictures she saw on TV. Showing her pictures and asked her which ones she used to ID Trayvon. de la Rionda stands by.

Jury is brought in.

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche 8m
Court is back in session.
Retweeted by Kyle Hightower

OM continues cross of Ms. Manalo. Showing various pictures of Trayvon and asking her which ones she used to help in comparison between the 2 men for sizes. He's showing them to the jury.

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 3m
O'Mara introduces #TrayvonMartin photos, they're being shown on overhead projector. #GeorgeZimmerman

O'Mara reminding the witness that prior to lunch break he was asking the witness what photos she used for size comparisons between the two people (George and Trayvon).

Has introduced some defense photos of Trayvon. Is showing the witness the famous 'evil' headshot hoodie photo. Showing two versions, one lighter, one darker. One photo I missed, possibly the red shirt 12 year old?, she says he looks 12 in that photo; next photo the school team football photo of Trayvon in blue jersey, kneeling on one knee, she says he looks 16 in photo. This are being shown to her for what she used for her size comparison.

O'Mara is asking witness about the photo that her husband took of George, the one he says was licensed to ABC? Evidence exhibit #76. She first saw the photo a few weeks later.

O'Mara is trying to show the witness (again) a picture of Trayvon at 7/11 that night. Prosecution objects, Judge says he cannot show her that picture because he already has shown her and she said she had not seen it before and had not made any judgements from it. Judge says he can only show her #12, 13, 14, and 15. Pictures she has already seen and used for size comparisons.

Sidebar.

O'Mara asks if the witness is using the eight photos she has seen for size comparisons. Has she seen any current photos of Trayvon for size? NO. Has she seen the 7/11 video? NO.

O'Mara attempting now to totally confuse the witness (and me) by wrongly recounting what she has already testified to.

Prosecutor: Asks witness, based on what the witness testified to, the witness says that Zimmerman was the bigger of the two people out there. O'Mara objects to every single word, until Judge finally lets Pros. ask his question.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 6m
Manalo says she used pics of #TrayvonMartin as a younger child to decide that it was he who was on bottom of struggle she saw

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 28s
Manalo says she hasn't seen any photos of #TrayvonMartin at the age/size he was at the time of the shooting. #Zimmerman

de la Rionda on redirect.

Asking her how she used the pictures to determine that GZ was bigger. OM objects one question as leading but judge overrules other objection that uses her prior testimony.

Sidebar...de la Rionda continues.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 3m
Manalo says under redirect exam that based on pics she used to reference #TrayvonMartin size, she believes he was on bottom of struggle

de la Rionda asks if she saw GZ get up and walk around..yes, later with her husband. Did she ever see Trayvon get up and walk to see how big he was, no.

OM recross and tries again to confuse her. de la Rionda asks, the person who was on top is the one who got up, yes.

Bernie re-direct asked a few questions.

Now O'Mara has her read something out loud.

Bernie re-re-direct: The person who was on top was the person who got up, right? Witness: YES.

New Witness.

Ramona Rumph returns to the stand regarding length of phone calls.

Testifying about the phone numbers for emergency and non emergency.

Previous five, 911 zimmerman phone calls about to be played.

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche 2m
State has now called back Ramona Rumph, director of communication division of Seminole County Sheriff.

Kyle Hightower Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 1m
Manalo is done testifying.

Kyle Hightower Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 3m
De la Rionda:"The person who got up (from struggle) was the person who was on top?"
Manalo: "Yes."

First one is about a guy who George and Shelley can see right now, who is black and walking around suspiciously.

August 6, 2011

George calling about two youths who match the description of previous breakin suspects.
2 black males, late teens, at back gate of neighborhood.

Leaves name and number and will be at back gate to let the officers in and suggests they send officers also to Calabria Cove.

Next call.

George, part of Neighborhood watch, burgleries recent in neighborhood, and someone has left their garage door open. Address, 2040 Retreat View Circle, poorly lit. Just had neighborhood watch meeting yesterday, told to report anything suspicious, the people don't usually have their garage door open all night. There is a silver Nissan xtera in the garage.
Bye Bye.

Next

Oct 1, 2011 12:53 am

George, lot of breakins, neighborhood watch. Two suspicious characters, hanging out, loitering. Describe: 2 AA males, mid to late 20s early 30's, in white Chevy sedan, may be an Impala.

Last Call

Feb 2, 2012 8:29 PM

George: Officer to 1960 Retreat View Cr. Gentleman walking in neighborhood, I have seen him before on trash days, don't know what his deal is.
(Missed description.)
He keeps going to the house (its Taaffe's house) along the side of it.

The prosecutor is resuming playing five calls #Zimmerman made to law enforcement in the weeks/months b4 shooting.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 1m
In the calls #Zimmerman describes seeing suspicious black males.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 17s
I count seven of nine members of jury panel who are taking notes during playing if the calls.

Natalie Tolomeo ‏@NatalieTolomeo 1m
Judge Nelson told attys before opening statements they can't say "racial profiled" but CAN say "profiled" #Zimmerman

[Why does the operator always have to ask for his last name? He knows they need it by now. He always mentioned NW, always black boy dressed in black. Says he doesn't want to contact them personally.]

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 4m
Rumph testifies that in two of the five instances that #Zimmerman called about police made contact with people, but took no action.

OM cross...asking if she had any concerns about GZs manner in calls...no..

Asks if the system notes 'problem callers'? no

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 2m
O'Mara says one of the people #GeorgeZImmerman reported to cops was later arrested. Rumph: If so, "it's not indicated."

No redirect...she is excused subject to recall..

O'Mara asking Rumph if 'the system' thinks 5 calls in 5 months by the same person is unusual or odd or worth noting? My words.

She can't really answer. He was trying for something else, but I don't know what. He asked Judge if he could bring in another witness right then. No.

Witness: Rachel Jeantel

aka: Dee Dee

Family is from Dominican Republic. Mother born in Haiti.

Will be in 12th grade in the Fall.

First met Trayvon in grade school.

In February 2012, they met back up. They were not dating, just friends.

They talked on the phone, that day.

He had cell phone, with headset with buttons to control.

He described to her he was going to store to get some stuff for his future brother Chad to get Arizona and candy.

When he got back to the complex, he described to her that a man was watching him.

He kept complaining the man was watching him.

Did you say anything back to him? Yes. I asked him what the man looked like. He said he was creepy as cracker. (???) "He looked like a creepy *advertiser censored* cracker."

He told me the man was looking at him. She was thinking he might have been a rapist.

They are having a very difficult time understanding what she is saying.

Trayvon says, stop playing with him like that.

Trayvon told her he was going to try to lose him by walking home. They talked some more.

West is objecting, because he can't see the witness, and he can't understand her, and Bernie is leading, and she is giving narrative.

Judge tells West to move if he can't see her.

Testimony continues.

She says Trayvon says he is going to leave the mailing area and start walking home. They talked some about the All Star game.

Then, he says the man is still following him now.
"Now the man is still following me."

More to come.

Witness 8 is called...Rachel Jeantel, now 19, lives in Miami.

de la Rionda on direct.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 2m
Rumph is off the stand. Next up is much anticipated Witness 8. #Zimmerman

She was just friends with Trayvon, lived in same area.

On day in question she knew TM was in Sanford and talked to him by cell phone several times that day, and that evening.

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 4m
Witness 8 on the stand: Rachel Jeantel, 19, of Miami. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMArtin

Jeantel is the woman described by Martin family attorney Ben Crump as being on phone when #TrayvonMartin walked back to 7-11

Trayvon told her a man was watching him and called him a 'creepy *advertiser censored* cracker'. She told him the man might be a racist/rapist?. TM told her to stop playing with him and she asked why is the man keep watching you? He told her he would try to lose him. TM says he is going home. Then he asks her about the all star game.
Then he says the man is now following me. She told him to run, he said no. Then he said he lost him. Heard TM ask, why are you following me?

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 2m
Jeantel says that #TrayvonMartin told her: "He kept complaining that man kept watching him."

Defense complains they cannot understand her (very soft voice). Judge tells them need to move closer. Defense complains again, judge tells them to sit down.

Bernie asks, what happened next.

Judge asks her to repeat what she said after the All Star game. She says, now the Nword is following me.

She tells him to run. She says he tells her he is almost by his father's fiance's house.

No one can understand her.

He told me he is almost there.

He tells her he is going to 'run from the back'. Then the phone shuts off. Then I called back and he answered. It shut off because he had started running, she says.

He told her he lost him. She asked where he is at, he says in the area by his daddy's fiance house.

A couple of seconds later, she says, he says, "Oh s**t, the Nword is behind me"

She was talking with him while she was in her bathroom. She was on Bluetooth. She was fixing her hair.

Trayvon said: "Why are you following me for?" She heard man say: "What you doing around here?" Then she heard a bump. Assumed it was the headset. Hears wet grass sounds. Heard Trayvon saying "Get off, get off". Then suddenly the phone shut off.

She tried to call him back, no answer. He never called her back. She never talked with him again.

On Monday at school, there was a rumor going around his school, that he had died. That's when she first heard. She did not believe it. She went to another school I think.

She first found out on Tuesday afternoon, a friend sent text of an article saying he died. She asked what time, and realized it was at the time they were talking on the phone.

Trayvon's dad called her at some point.

Lost livestream.

Back.

She didn't go to the funeral because she didn't want to see the body.

She lied about not going to the funeral because she felt guilty about being the last person that had talked to their son, and she didn't go to the wake.

Had she heard the cries for help on TV? Yes.

Was she able to tell whose voice it was? She said it sounded like Trayvon to her.

Bernie done.

West suggests a short break. Judge says ok. Jury leaves. Judge asks counsel to approach before they take their short break.

Court in recess for 15 minutes.

Trayvon Martin’s friend describes phone call she had with him before fatal shooting http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...081bae-de19-11e2-bc84-8049224b33e1_story.html …

Jeantel also said the screaming voice on 911 calls, which she heard through media outlets "sounded like Trayvon."

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 34s
Jeantel was fighting back tears as she explained not attending wake or funeral.

Jeantel: "I felt guilty...I was the last person that talked to they son. And I didn't go to the wake (to pay) respect."

Jeantel on why she didn't go to #TrayvonMartin wake: "I didn't want to see the body."

Jeantel says she last tried to call #TrayvonMartin was at 7:16 pm the night he died.

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche 4m
Jeantel says she heard Trayvon say why are you following me and a man saying what are you doing around here.

David Ovalle David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 4m
Rachel heard voice over phone say to #Trayvonmartin "What you doing around here." Heard bump. Heard "wet grass sound." "Get off!" he said.

#TrayvonMartin mother Sybrina Fulton is leaning forward in her chair for Jeantel testimony.

David Ovalle David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 6m
#TrayvonMartin's phone cut off. Rachel called back. He said he lost [Zimmerman]. Then "oh ****," Trayvon said. "The ni**a behind me."

She found out later the TM was dead.
de la Rionda asks her if she attended wake/funeral and she say no. he asks why not...she didn't want to see the body and felt guilty. She says it was Trayvon's voice she heard on recordings. She starts crying...taking a recess.

sidebar...

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial
Rachel thought it was just a fight that #Trayvon was in and that since he was near the house it wasn't a "deadly serious" issue. #Zimmerman

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 7m
#Trayvon Martin's friend describes final phone call (from @AP) #zimmerman #TrayvonMartin http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mGlnUFHp …

Court is back in session. Don West is doing cross examination of Jeantel. #zimmerman

Jeantel says she texted and talked with #trayvonmartin throughout the day he died. #Zimmerman

West giving time calls begin and end and she agrees, from list.

West shows her printout of call logs between her and #TrayvonMartin. #Zimmerman

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 4m
Jeantel says she thought it was just a fight, didn't think it was "deadly serious." #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Kyle Hightower Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 4m
West says there is a 35 min lapse between when he left store and reconnected with her on the phone b4 shooting. #Zimmerman

Kyle Hightower Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 6m
Jeantel says its her understanding that #TrayvonMartin went from the store straight back to town home complex.

[West is trying to get her confused and she ends up stumping him]

Says she didn't call LE about her contact because was told the person who had killed him had been caught.

I am watching this on HLN. Is anyone else having difficulty understanding Ms. Jeantel? I am not making a criticism, I just am curious if she suffers from a genuine speech impediment? Something tells me I am going to regret asking this question...but for Heaven's sake, please believe me when I am asking this question in all honesty and humility.

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche 3m
Jeantel thought "case closed" because she heard the man who shot #TrayvonMartin was arrested

Jeantel says that she never called police about talking to Martin because she thought police would contact her.

Fin Gomez Fin Gomez ‏@finnygo 6m
West responded:" I'm sorry. It takes me a little while to think of the next question." #zimmerman #trayvon

Fin Gomez Fin Gomez ‏@finnygo 8m
Jeantel to West, asks him for his next question, " You can go You can go!" #zimmerman #trayvon

Kyle Hightower Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 6m
West is exploring circumstances of how she came to meet and tell her story to Martin family attorney Crump. #Zimmerman

Says she didn't know anything about GZ not being arrested because she does not watch the news.

TM's father called her to talk to his attorney and arrangements were made. Then TM's mother sent her a text also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member