Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
very. thank you for the link. I love spending time on an ocean beach, sunning and swimming. but, I am equally fascinated with and repelled by the ocean because I can't help thinking of it as a dangerous and pitiless creature. it's been difficult to follow this story, thinking about those 239 souls, because the concept of deep water terrifies me. if they are lost, I hope the end was swift and their fear was brief

yep same here, I'm off back to sleep, it's too early. It would be cool if WS had newsflashes on the phone too to alert to anything big

Yeah - except in the last month you'd have been woken in the dead of night 57 times with "breaking news"......

Does anybody know if there is a PC scheduled for 1730?

So a couple of Chinese in an inflatable dingy with a hand held pinger happened to hear some pings! What are the chances of that in a search area that big? What is going on?

Edit. I think it's for real that they think they heard something otherwise there is no way it would be being checked out otherwise. The Chinese ambassador obviously confirmed it to Angus Houston directly. Even still what are the chances?

Oh Yeah, check out the picture here,

http://news.sky.com/us/

He warned that the data were still unverified.

British naval ship HMS Echo is sailing to the area to investigate further.

It is expected to arrive in the early hours of Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26908884

"[Saturday] afternoon Perth time, there was another acoustic detection less than 2 km (1.2 miles) from the original."

The second signal lasted about 90 seconds, he said.

A Chinese naval ship searching for the missing Malaysian airliner has picked up an audio pulse in the Indian Ocean at the same frequency emitted by the plane’s emergency locator beacons, Chinese media reported Saturday, but it has not been established whether the signal is connected to the plane.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1dfc97-8308-450e-9f7e-6c94c2f4bf6d_story.html

bbm
Didn't a poster early on say that this news ( Xinhua News Agency) is not a good source for news. Besides the fact that it's state run. jmo idk

Still, Patel said that the news should be treated with skepticism until it can be corroborated, and that the ship should have picked up two signals from the two beacons, if they are still close to each other and weren’t damaged by the crash.

“There could be a host of reasons they are not picking up two signals, but that is one of the initial questions I’d ask — we should be picking up two signals.”

A crew member aboard the Haixun 01 told China’s Xinmin Evening News newspaper that the pulse was consistent with a sample they had been given by Boeing, the missing plane’s manufacturer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1dfc97-8308-450e-9f7e-6c94c2f4bf6d_story.html

The third signal was detected on Sunday morning by the Australian navy ship Ocean Shield, located around 300 nautical miles away from the Chinese ship.

Houston said he did not know at this stage whether the acoustic signal detected by Ocean Shield was 37.5kHz, the frequency emitted by a black box locator beacon, but the lead was “something that needs to be investigated”.

Houston said the area being searched by Haixun 01 was extremely deep – “four and a half kilometres straight down” – and any recovery operation would be “incredibly challenging”.

If the black box recorder beacon was close then the signal picked up by ships would be uninterrupted. “If you get close to the device we should be receiving [the signal] for a long period of time, not just a fleeting encounter,” Houston said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/06/mh370-search-continues-after-black-box-ping-claim

Excuse me if this is a repeat question - do the flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR) have their own boxes and therefore we are looking for two pings? Or is the black box both recordings? I want these pings to be for real so badly!

Do any of you know where the Ocean Shield is in reference to the Chinese pings? I am curious as to the distance of the pings found by them and us.

Excuse me if this is a repeat question - do the flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR) have their own boxes and therefore we are looking for two pings? Or is the black box both recordings? I want these pings to be for real so badly!

Do any of you know where the Ocean Shield is in reference to the Chinese pings? I am curious as to the distance of the pings found by them and us.

The FDR and CVR are separate black ( really orange ) boxes, both located in the tail section of planes and each have their own pinger.

Ok, so maybe 6 Chinese in an inflatable dingy, though I don't know if that is the same dingy as the one with the guys holding the pinger!

Look on the floor of the boat, the black box the pinger locater is in. The dude in the back of the boat standing is the one with glasses holding the yellow thingy in the other picture.

Look on the floor of the boat, the black box the pinger locater is in. The dude in the back of the boat standing is the one with glasses holding the yellow thingy in the other picture.

Thankyou. I tried to find the first pic to compare the dingys but couldn't find it and gave up.

On Saturday, Australian officials coordinating operations from Perth said 10 military planes, three civil jets and 11 ships were participating in the search over an area of about 84,000 square miles.

It was not immediately clear whether China’s patrol ship Haixun 01 was counted among those 11 ships, and Australian search coordinators have made no mention that any Chinese vessel participating in the search was equipped with a black-box pinger detector. Photos carried by Chinese press showed Chinese searchers in a small vessel lowered from the Haixun using a hand-held commercial pinger detector.

The command center spokesman would not discuss why Australian officials had made no mention that a Chinese ship also carried a pinger detector.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldn...-pulse-20140405,0,1253191.story#ixzz2y1xZRCOm

Here are some pictures of the Chinese with their own black box pinger detector:

http://www.jfdaily.com/shouye/focus/201404/t20140405_234374.html

W020140405714536377367_r75.jpg

bbm

JerseyGirl thanks for the picture.:seeya:
Yeah, they have taken the picture down it appears, but Thanks to JerseyGirl we have it here.

Benthos Assists in China Airlines Black Box Recovery.

Benthos Pinger Receivers have now been used to find four recorders from two commercial aircraft lost recently in Asian waters. Earlier in May, AUSS utilized the same technology to retrieve the black boxes from a China Northern Airlines plane that crashed off mainland China with the loss of all aboard. The causes of both accidents have yet to be determined and investigators hope to gain some information from the black box recorders. The flight data recorder box logs flight information while the cockpit voice recorder details conversations between pilots and air traffic controllers.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Benthos+Assists+in+China+Airlines+Black+Box+Recovery.-a087581476

Second signal heard during search for black box from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

April 06, 2014 9:13PM

NEW satellite calculations have put the likely location of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the same spot where Chinese patrol vessel Haixun 01 detected deep water acoustic sounds on two consecutive days.

In the strongest lead to date, Air Chief Marshall Angus Houston said the Haixun 01 picked up sounds coming from about 4,500m down, in two locations just two kilometres apart, on Friday and Saturday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...nes-flight-mh370/story-fnihsmjt-1226875948524

How many black boxes are there? And, if two, could they possibly be 300 miles apart?

2 separate recorders
a flight data recorder And a cockpit voice recorder both orange in colour and both have an underwater locator beacon. so 2 pingers

Yes two. Both (flight data and cockpit voice recorder) are located in the rear of the plane. I doubt they can be 300 miles apart, so I am afraid this only confirms that false signals are possible.

The manufacturer Dukane Seacom has stated that depending on the topography of the ocean floor that it will have an impact on hearing the pinger sound

So a couple of Chinese in an inflatable dingy with a hand held pinger happened to hear some pings! What are the chances of that in a search area that big? What is going on?

Edit. I think it's for real that they think they heard something otherwise there is no way it would be being checked out otherwise. The Chinese ambassador obviously confirmed it to Angus Houston directly. Even still what are the chances?

but the equipment they were using on that inflatable can detect sound in 600ft ocean depth ...now it is reported the sound they heard was in 4500 ft depth
so I am leaning towards more sophisticated equipment on a Ship heard the pings

but I could be mistaken :blushing::blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members