AS lie detector test

Status
Not open for further replies.

The video of the lie detector test was most telling. First off, the man giving the test was a little too chummy with AS I thought. Not during the test, but before and afterwards. He seemed to be unprofessional in his manner.

And, secondly, AS remembered the gag in Rebecca's mouth was blue. But he couldn't remember what was around her wrists that he had to shove aside to try to get a pulse! How can you not remember a big, thick, knotted rope? That would stand out in most people's memory! But his memory fades then. It all gets very fuzzy. Except the blue scarf!

Does anyone know what time of day or night the call to 911 was? If it was dark outside, what could he see or not see?

Thank you for finding this article. I think it deser4ves a few quotes here

McClatchy also cites the case of a noted San Diego lie detector expert.
Retired San Diego Police Department polygrapher Paul Redden didn’t return McClatchy’s calls. He’s been listed as a dealer since at least 2007 and last year was identified as a salesman in at least one of San Diego’s purchases from Lafayette.
The police department refused to answer questions about Redden, including when he’d worked there or whether he now works as a contractor. San Diego has been buying Lafayette polygraphs at least since 2002, when it awarded a noncompetitive bid to the company, according to city records obtained under California’s open records laws.
Redden has made news here in the past regarding several nationally famous criminal cases in which he conducted polygraph examinations.
Earlier this month, TV station KFMB aired portions of a video it said it had obtained from an unnamed source of Redden's polygraph of Adam Shacknai, brother of Jonah Shacknai, whose girlfriend Rebecca Zahau allegedly hung herself from a balcony at Shacknai's Coronado mansion.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...ai-case-polygrapher-focus-of-news-service-in/

I thought Redden was pretty honest (saying he suggested another poly for Adam at one point) until Adam's polygraph video came out, now this.

Would anyone care to venture guessing or hypothesizing WHY AS consented to taking a polygraph? He, or someone, must have felt it would be to his, or someone's, advantage to submit to one IMO

Hi Caricoa! I seem to remember reading something, and of course I can not recall where right this moment, but something about PP saying he was calling the police station to try to get AS to NOT take the poly. Was it in the book? But IIRC, there was some "special" phone number that was called by PP to reach his client at the police station.

It's always amazed me how quickly PP was one the scene and how quickly he was able to ascertain what was happening (of course, he was behind the crime scene tape and would have the info he needed). It's also very odd that it took until the book was released (IIRC?) that it was publicly stated that he was there as AS' attorney. It was widely speculated previous to that admission that he was contacted by RZ prior to her death, by those supporting and cheering for the suicide ruling that is.

Would anyone care to venture guessing or hypothesizing WHY AS consented to taking a polygraph? He, or someone, must have felt it would be to his, or someone's, advantage to submit to one IMO

Well, AS had quite a few hours to think about it. I believe he began the process somewhere around 6pm and the test started at 6:40pm. Plenty of time to seek advice.

Hi Caricoa! I seem to remember reading something, and of course I can not recall where right this moment, but something about PP saying he was calling the police station to try to get AS to NOT take the poly. Was it in the book? But IIRC, there was some "special" phone number that was called by PP to reach his client at the police station.

It's always amazed me how quickly PP was one the scene and how quickly he was able to ascertain what was happening (of course, he was behind the crime scene tape and would have the info he needed). It's also very odd that it took until the book was released (IIRC?) that it was publicly stated that he was there as AS' attorney. It was widely speculated previous to that admission that he was contacted by RZ prior to her death, by those supporting and cheering for the suicide ruling that is.

Weirdly, somewhere in these posts we talked about how PP called 911.

I do also remember some convo about PP trying to get the lie detector stopped.

Snip -

“It was probably Jonah who had retained Paul Pfingst, the lawyer who had texted Adam just before he took the polygraph tests. Unable to reach Adam, Pfingst knew the private number to call at the sheriff’s office where he could get a message to Adam as soon as possible. His intent had indeed been to advise Adam, as Detective Hillen had predicted, that he should avoid the polygraph machine—at least at this point in the investigation.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” This material may be protected by copyright.

Snip -

“Paul Pfingst used a non-published phone number to reach the police,” the legal trio noted, “to tell them not to give his client (Adam) a polygraph. In this recorded call, Pfingst referred to the incident as a ‘homicide.’*”

“We know from experience,” David Fleck wrote, “that homicide detectives do not hobnob with a prime suspect’s defense attorney during an active investigation, and it is highly unusual for a defense attorney to be at a [working] crime scene. At a minimum, it creates a disconcerting appearance of impropriety.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” This material may be protected by copyright.

Snip -

Shortly before five, Detective Hillen phoned Adam and asked if he was still willing to take the test. Adam said he wanted to speak to his brother, Jonah, about it, and Hillen said that was fine—he would call him back in a few minutes.

Hillen did so.

“I have nothing to hide,” Adam said. “I’m willing to take the test.”

It was 5:30 when Adam Shacknai arrived at the San Diego County homicide offices to meet with polygrapher Paul Redden. Once again, Hillen reminded him that he was not compelled to take the test, and that he was present of his own free will. Adam nodded.

And then his cell phone rang. He said he didn’t recognize the number and let it go to his text mailbox. But it rang again a few minutes later. Adam checked the caller ID and saw that it was a message from an attorney’s office.”

“My brother must have called a lawyer for me,” Adam said. “What do you think he wants to say to me?”

“I think,” Hillen said truthfully, “that he would tell you not to take the polygraph test.”

Snip -

Shortly before five, Detective Hillen phoned Adam and asked if he was still willing to take the test. Adam said he wanted to speak to his brother, Jonah, about it, and Hillen said that was fine—he would call him back in a few minutes.

Hillen did so.

“I have nothing to hide,” Adam said. “I’m willing to take the test.”

It was 5:30 when Adam Shacknai arrived at the San Diego County homicide offices to meet with polygrapher Paul Redden. Once again, Hillen reminded him that he was not compelled to take the test, and that he was present of his own free will. Adam nodded.

And then his cell phone rang. He said he didn’t recognize the number and let it go to his text mailbox. But it rang again a few minutes later. Adam checked the caller ID and saw that it was a message from an attorney’s office.”

“My brother must have called a lawyer for me,” Adam said. “What do you think he wants to say to me?”

“I think,” Hillen said truthfully, “that he would tell you not to take the polygraph test.”

I have been reading A LOT about LDT tests...and I have a lot of unexpected thoughts about them. #1. Every LDT is essentially a "soft interrogation" ie it is usually only given to someone the police suspect or have identified as a POI, in the first place.
#2. An examiner does NOT make up his own questions! The questions that are asked are the ones HIS EMPLOYER HAS ASKED TO BE ANSWERED! For instance, LE knows/suspects the POI of being an accomplice to a crime, but wants to know whether or not the POI was the trigger man.
#3. An examiner may hold a great deal of bias against (or coddle?) the person they are "testing" simply because the nature of the crime is so heinous and the attitude of the detectives/employer when they speak to the examiner.
#4. I don't think it is NORMAL PROCEDURE for the LDT administrator to give the results to the POI, right on the spot! Good grief, what if the POI was violent and became physically aggressive after being told they "flunked"??
#5. Even before the revelation of Redden being a "salesman" of LDT's (and possible conflicts as revealed by McClatchy news) I wondered if LE picks examiners the same way real estate agents pick appraisers?? Not only would you want someone who gives the "appraisal" you are paying for, but the agent has the "ear" of the appraiser and can provide inside info to "pump up/justify" the amount on the appraisal.
#6 Three different examiners can look at the same graphs/print outs and come up with different interpretations...one says "passes with flying colors", one says "we need to do another test because the results are inconclusive" and the third one says "the guy flunked the test big time"
#7 If it was my family member who had died....I'd be the first one in line screaming, Give me a polygraph!...because I want everyone to know I had nothing to hide, and the quicker I am eliminated as a POI, the quicker LE can start looking for the real perp!

.....continuing my thoughts. And, maybe, just maybe (I'm just thinking out loud and wondering, ok?)....if I was a devious criminal or intent on trying to find out what/who detectives suspected. I just might take/volunteer for a LDT just to find out where the detectives were in their investigation. Even stranger, what would I do if half way through the questioning, I realize something is VERY, VERY ODD and diametrically opposed to what I asserted. ie "yeah I think she hung herself" and minutes later say, "I hope, I fear she wasn't tied up"
IDK...maybe it was just a long, long day and the editing of the video just emphasizes the glaring differences. ie, sawing motion with right hand, later sawing motion with left hand....
and about 5 other strange observations about the LDT. Any"buddy" else have observations on it...or is it only me who is extremely myopic?

IQ ... my biggest problem in looking at that lie detector test is that it pulls me in two different directions about Adam, but I keep thinking it is neither A nor B (he is being honest or dishonest, notguilty/guilty of something), but C. I can never quite get to what "C" is though. My weird theory is that Adam is lying about not having talked with Jonah or the lawyer prior to arriving and that they spent the day scrambling his head! I know, I know. Or maybe he hadn't talked to them and Dina spent the day scrambling it. Or Adam took some heavy sedation, hypnosis, or something between 6 am and 6 pm. There's something definitely wrong there.

IQ ... my biggest problem in looking at that lie detector test is that it pulls me in two different directions about Adam, but I keep thinking it is neither A nor B (he is being honest or dishonest, notguilty/guilty of something), but C. I can never quite get to what "C" is though. My weird theory is that Adam is lying about not having talked with Jonah or the lawyer prior to arriving and that they spent the day scrambling his head! I know, I know. Or maybe he hadn't talked to them and Dina spent the day scrambling it. Or Adam took some heavy sedation, hypnosis, or something between 6 am and 6 pm. There's something definitely wrong there.

TIME...I totally understand your point! The problem is sometimes his words follow a natural progression of thought. And yet, his actions are just the opposite. #1)ie showing a cutting motion with right hand, and next time with left hand.) He is recalling events that occurred that day...not a year later. So that really stands out as ODD. #2) His watch on his right wrist at the beginning and then later being on his left wrist...again very ODD.
#3) Redden asks, "Does it seem to you like it is a suicide?" AS replies, "YES, ABSOLUTELY." Redden, "OK, what makes you think that? AS, "It's just what crossed my mind, ya know, ya just, because I thought she was there,. supposedly. Uh, um, maybe she just can't live with it. I've never been in that situation. I'm not gonna say I couldn't especially with someone else's kid ya know. Redden, "Yeah, but did she seem suicidal or anything like that? AS, "NO, I don't get...ya know, I mean YOU JUST DON'T EVER THINK OF THAT."
That also seems ODD to me. Yes, absolutely & it's just what crossed my mind. And then immediately after it seems that he retracts the statement with the very next answer he gives, as to whether or not she seemed suicidal. "No. I don't get...ya know I mean..You just don't ever think of that."
BINGO! Why is he so convinced RZ would commit suicide, if every one was being told (including RZ) MS was going to get better??? Hmmm, I think AS knew MS's injuries were very, very serious and probably not survivable on Tuesday night. Suddenly the words "especially with someone else's kid, ya know" sound eerily familiar. Remember the text to Mary in which RZ wrote (paraphrase) "I love him like my own, but he is not." Did RZ say similar words to AS in the car, or could he have read the text on her phone? Ugh, I need to get some sleep...I can't figure "C" out either! I think he has strong doubts about the "suicide" theory, too. "You just don't ever think of that"

IQ... I think the problem for me is that he sounds more confused and scrambled than guilty even with the body language not aligning with what he is saying (or saying more than what he is saying). And on the 911 call he was also goofy and seemingly cold. And, on both he just says odd stuff. So :waitasec:

IQ... I think the problem for me is that he sounds more confused and scrambled than guilty even with the body language not aligning with what he is saying (or saying more than what he is saying). And on the 911 call he was also goofy and seemingly cold. And, on both he just says odd stuff. So :waitasec:

TIME...that's the ticket!! Sometimes you point out things that REALLY MAKE SENSE...yep he "acted" confused and scrambled, until the (In my opinion rehearsed) storyline was introduced by the LDT administrator. He goes on in an incredulous awe, (now using my Gomer Pyle "Golly Sarge, accent") can you belive she had a "effin" rag stuffed in her mouth?
Redden @ 2:58 sec: "Does it seem to you like it is a suicide?"
AS @3:00 sec: " YES, ABSOLUTELY!"
Every time I look at the clips of his LDT and even listen to the 911 call...The only things that are NEVER, NEVER confused or scrambled is the theme he has pushed since the beginning. "Gotta girl, hung herself" and "YES, ABSOLUTELY!"Everything else he says, has always been full of uhs, ho-hums, arm waiving, heavy breathing, screaming, cussing, hyper-ventilating while looking for an address, feigned confusion, (ie I think there was something I had to move to check her hand)...etc, etc, etc...
I strongly agree "someone, someones or something" put the idea of SUICIDE into his mind. Yes...he sure acts like he is confused and scrambled for much of the video but practically jumps out of his seat, as if hit by a lightening bolt of absolute clarity.....YES, ABSOLUTELY.
His confusion and scrambling suddenly went poof, huh?
ps. TIME..thanks for making watch the video more closely...it made me see things more clearly.

I would like to look at this strange case from the point of view of it being a suicide, as it was finally ruled to be.

It is extremely rare for a suicide to die naked and bound in such a public way. But it does happen. I remember the case of Bill Sparkman, who's suicide perplexed many as it at first seemed a homicide for sure. He was found bound to a tree, hands and feet duct taped, his mouth covered with duct tape, and naked except for his socks. The word "FED" was scrawled on his chest (he was a US Government census taker). He staged his death to look like a homicide so his life insurance payoff would pay to his son, which would not happen if it was ruled a suicide.

Perhaps RZ staged her own suicide to look like a homicide. Perhaps she thought her "good" life was over after the accident, that she would be moved out of the mansion,and out of her boyfriend's life, or be blamed for the accident herself. Who knows what thoughts she had during those last dark hours of her life?

Re: AS's LDT - two things come to mind. First, since he found the body, LE would look long and hard at him as a POI in this bizarre case. Many good defense lawyers would counsel a client to not take a LTD right away! They are unreliable and subject to interpretation and not admissible in court.

Re: AS's jumping on the "suicide" bandwagon so fast. Let's look at the alternative for him: if it was not suicide, then it was a murder; if a murder then that would require LE to look at him, his brother, and everyone in his family circle as possible perpetrators. He went into overdrive to protect his family, as an almost automatic response. It's like asking a Mom if they think their son committed a murder, the first instinct is to say "NO! He wouldn't do that!" Family self preservation response.

This is such a bizarre case, I frankly do not know what to believe for sure.

TIME...that's the ticket!! Sometimes you point out things that REALLY MAKE SENSE...yep he "acted" confused and scrambled, until the (In my opinion rehearsed) storyline was introduced by the LDT administrator. He goes on in an incredulous awe, (now using my Gomer Pyle "Golly Sarge, accent") can you belive she had a "effin" rag stuffed in her mouth?
Redden @ 2:58 sec: "Does it seem to you like it is a suicide?"
AS @3:00 sec: " YES, ABSOLUTELY!"
Every time I look at the clips of his LDT and even listen to the 911 call...The only things that are NEVER, NEVER confused or scrambled is the theme he has pushed since the beginning. "Gotta girl, hung herself" and "YES, ABSOLUTELY!"Everything else he says, has always been full of uhs, ho-hums, arm waiving, heavy breathing, screaming, cussing, hyper-ventilating while looking for an address, feigned confusion, (ie I think there was something I had to move to check her hand)...etc, etc, etc...
I strongly agree "someone, someones or something" put the idea of SUICIDE into his mind. Yes...he sure acts like he is confused and scrambled for much of the video but practically jumps out of his seat, as if hit by a lightening bolt of absolute clarity.....YES, ABSOLUTELY.
His confusion and scrambling suddenly went poof, huh?
ps. TIME..thanks for making watch the video more closely...it made me see things more clearly.

Others here are probably thinking the same thing I'm going to say. Sometimes I think you can put more stock in body language (with caution, of course) than in the words someone is saying since we are often unaware of what our body is saying. IDK...

I would like to look at this strange case from the point of view of it being a suicide, as it was finally ruled to be.

It is extremely rare for a suicide to die naked and bound in such a public way. But it does happen. I remember the case of Bill Sparkman, who's suicide perplexed many as it at first seemed a homicide for sure. He was found bound to a tree, hands and feet duct taped, his mouth covered with duct tape, and naked except for his socks. The word "FED" was scrawled on his chest (he was a US Government census taker). He staged his death to look like a homicide so his life insurance payoff would pay to his son, which would not happen if it was ruled a suicide.

Perhaps RZ staged her own suicide to look like a homicide. Perhaps she thought her "good" life was over after the accident, that she would be moved out of the mansion,and out of her boyfriend's life, or be blamed for the accident herself. Who knows what thoughts she had during those last dark hours of her life?

Re: AS's LDT - two things come to mind. First, since he found the body, LE would look long and hard at him as a POI in this bizarre case. Many good defense lawyers would counsel a client to not take a LTD right away! They are unreliable and subject to interpretation and not admissible in court.

Re: AS's jumping on the "suicide" bandwagon so fast. Let's look at the alternative for him: if it was not suicide, then it was a murder; if a murder then that would require LE to look at him, his brother, and everyone in his family circle as possible perpetrators. He went into overdrive to protect his family, as an almost automatic response. It's like asking a Mom if they think their son committed a murder, the first instinct is to say "NO! He wouldn't do that!" Family self preservation response.

Exact-a-mundo! I think the bolded Re: would be a "bingo" for SHADYLADYSLEUTHER on aisle 9! The family members have shown they are willing to fly in to town, at a moment's notice, when a crisis has occurred to offer comfort and emotional support. (I find no fault in anyone supporting a sibling, spouse, parent etc...which makes me think everyone knew the situation was very dire, within a matter of hours.) Good news travels fast, bad news travels faster? Perhaps that is why the LDT sends mixed messages between action and verbalization....acknowledging RZ's death, yet "I fear, hope to God she wasn't tied up"?? Being tied up might very well indicate/implicate another person known to him.
Try to imagine a police detective, showing up at your door, asking if you drove your car last night...because the vehicle was identified as leaving the scene of a crime. Well, if you tell the detective, "I was home all night and didn't use the car." Something in the back of your head would be also be thinking....could it be my spouse or one of my kids?? (Geez, I got a sick feeling just thinking about such a scenario)....Frankly, at that moment, I'd be praying to God :please:please tell me a stranger stole my car last night!! :please: So, if the detective asks, "Do you think your car could have been stolen?" I Would reply, YES ABSOLUTELY!

Thank you for addressing the possibility of suicide. I suppose anything is possible...but I am unable to fully commit to suicide, even though the last person known to have seen her alive & also found her hanging told the 911 operators, police and LDT administrator.It is extremely rare for a suicide to die naked and bound in such a public way. But it does happen. I remember the case of Bill Sparkman, who's suicide perplexed many as it at first seemed a homicide for sure. He was found bound to a tree, hands and feet duct taped, his mouth covered with duct tape, and naked except for his socks. The word "FED" was scrawled on his chest (he was a US Government census taker). He staged his death to look like a homicide so his life insurance payoff would pay to his son, which would not happen if it was ruled a suicide.
OK, but the writing on the wall (ain't that a Freudian slip?) was written in the "third person singular"...who writes like that? I keep imagining RZ tied to a chair screaming, "I didn't and wouldn't hurt him..I tried to save him!" So is the writing on the wall: a) a killer's taunt b) a confession c)an explanation of what she is about to do? d) or an enraged person sending a message to the owner of the house? If one was to make an inference from the Bill Sparkman case....then RZ should have written something on her chest to make it look like a murder, huh? Also, why bother to take a shower, scream for help, and play loud music if you are planning to kill yourself?

Perhaps RZ staged her own suicide to look like a homicide. Perhaps she thought her "good" life was over after the accident, that she would be moved out of the mansion,and out of her boyfriend's life, or be blamed for the accident herself. Who knows what thoughts she had during those last dark hours of her life? Yes, but RZ was a survivor and only in her early 30's...she could always start a new life. She had experienced heartbreak and separation before and was not a lovesick teenager with few life experiences. However, since none of are privy to the DEVASTATING MIDNIGHT PHONE CALL
...oh scratch that!! She took a shower at 10:30 PM...so why would a towel be in the hallway 3 hours later? (that would imply she was planning suicide a full 2 hours before she received the DEVASTATING phone call...and boarded her dog 8 hours before the DEVASTATING phone call, huh?

I AGREE 100%

A little part of me is unsure also. But if people commit suicide because they are bullied, insulted, manipulated (and she was manipulated by not receiving the truth of MS's condition for a long time). Should I think...suicide is OK? Or should I try to understand the incredible sorrow she must have felt when (if) she was told her smiling, adorable little boy she had bonded with over the last 2 years was not going to survive? I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT KIND OF SORROW. But, why in the world would she need or want to paint on walls, drag rope out of a garage, take off all her clothing, remove her earrings, necklace, rings, gold bracelets (but leave rubber Bionic Bands on her wrists) and gag herself with a blue Mossimo long sleeved T-shirt?? Suddenly "naked suicide" appears to be "partially naked suicide"....and that is really, really strange. MZL said, "all I know for sure is Rebecca would be alive if.............." So far, that is the only statement I can agree with totally.
PS...thanks for your thoughtful contributions. Great input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somegirlinsf