FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

Hmmm, the article I read said it was the older one who was remorseful, not the younger one who is the hispanic girl. Last night I saw their pictures with their names in an online article. The younger ones siblings have reputations as bullies and her father was in denial. Sad that it starts so young. I have a 12-year-old, and Rebecca was a pretty girl. Too bad she valued what the bullies had to say and listened to them. And it all started over a boy...

Another article has them switched- the hispanic girl is the older girl- that would explain the confusion. But the article I read last night identified both girls by name and face. The hispanic girl GS is the one who posted IDGAF that Rebecca committed suicide.

I'm going by the ages in the Polk SO report, although I THINK we are saying the same thing (other than ages), that GS is the ringleader, not KR?

http://www.polksheriff.org/NewsRoom...TwoMiddleSchoolerswithAggravatedStalking.aspx

(From that article GS is the 14 yo.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/16/florida-bullying-suicide-arrest/2992653/

Judd told NBC's Today on Wednesday that investigators so far have found no criminal charges that could be filed against the parents, "but if we can find contributing to the delinquency of a child, we would certainly bring that charge."
Sounds like the family of KR is trying to take a repentant attitude.
A man who answered the door at the home of the younger suspect identified himself as her father. He told WTSP that he had lost a daughter himself years ago and that his whole family is devastated over what happened to Rebecca. "I feel horrible about the whole situation, but like I said, there's two sides to every story," he told the Tampa TV station. "The day that this happened, we all felt super horrible. I've even brought my daughter numerous times to the grave [and] where she jumped. She even went over there and prayed at night, but that's all that can be done right now and I can't really say too much more," he said.

I don't think either of these girls should have had their identities and pictures released to the public due to their ages, particularly KR. IMO GS should be forever banned by court order from FB/twitter and any other media that she has used for harrassing the victim and be prosecuted for any violation. If her parents refuse to discipline her, let the judge.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/16/florida-bullying-suicide-arrest/2992653/

Sounds like the family of KR is trying to take a repentant attitude.

I don't think either of these girls should have had their identities and pictures released to the public due to their ages, particularly KR. IMO GS should be forever banned by court order from FB/twitter and any other media that she has used for harrassing the victim and be prosecuted for any violation. If her parents refuse to discipline her, let the judge.
That's good what KR's father said, but it bothers me the "two sides to every story". That sounds like justification for her behavior, for which there is none.
Their pictures and names are out there because of the severity of the charges. I think they were old enough to understand what they were doing- goading someone into acting upon it, and they knew she could end up doing it. I don't see how you could enforce electronic banning from all social media- she'd find other apps, or use fake names. This girl is a bully and recruited others to bully Rebecca to the point where Rebecca's own friends were afraid to be friends with her for fear they'd be targeted. I experienced that in 4th-6th grades. My friends were also afraid to be seen with me for fear they'd be bullied like I was. Fortunately social media didn't exist back then, I wasn't taunted with suicide, only called mean names and pushed into a fight, and I valued myself.

That's good what KR's father said, but it bothers me the "two sides to every story". That sounds like justification for her behavior, for which there is none.

SBM for brevity. This.

This line is so trite, and I agree that it hints at victim blaming. But bigger than that. Are there really 2 sides to EVERY story? Really? Aren't there often more than 2? And isn't there really only one most of the time? Ugh, I love language and this saying just irks me. Just say it, ya know? This saying is just manipulative, evasive and taunting.

of course the parents are going to say whatever they need to defend their kid, right?

Ugh, responsibility. Take some. At least for the bullying, if not the penultimate.

Their pictures and names are out there because of the severity of the charges. I think they were old enough to understand what they were doing- goading someone into acting upon it, and they knew she could end up doing it. I don't see how you could enforce electronic banning from all social media- she'd find other apps, or use fake names. This girl is a bully and recruited others to bully Rebecca to the point where Rebecca's own friends were afraid to be friends with her for fear they'd be targeted. I experienced that in 4th-6th grades. My friends were also afraid to be seen with me for fear they'd be bullied like I was. Fortunately social media didn't exist back then, I wasn't taunted with suicide, only called mean names and pushed into a fight, and I valued myself.

That 'two sides' comment bothered me also.

Even is the girls are legally banned from social media, they can break laws and get on but that would result in some kind of penalty when caught. People like them make enemies and the purpose of social media is to communicate. There is a good chance someone will report them if they use a fake name and then the judge can have something to charge them with.

Parents need to get familiar with social networking if they are going to allow their children on it. Maybe GS's parents were 'monitoring' but youngsters are tech savvy. They know how to reveal posts to certain people and hide from others. Parents can't just 'monitor' from a different account. They have to sign onto FB as the kid so they can see the whole page.

That 'two sides' comment bothered me also.

Even is the girls are legally banned from social media, they can break laws and get on but that would result in some kind of penalty when caught. People like them make enemies and the purpose of social media is to communicate. There is a good chance someone will report them if they use a fake name and then the judge can have something to charge them with.

Parents need to get familiar with social networking if they are going to allow their children on it. Maybe GS's parents were 'monitoring' but youngsters are tech savvy. They know how to reveal posts to certain people and hide from others. Parents can't just 'monitor' from a different account. They have to sign onto FB as the kid so they can see the whole page.
12-year-olds aren't even supposed to be on Facebook, you're supposed to be 13 to have an account.

I agree but in a way you're punishing the target. What I haven't heard is why the social sites like Facebook don't have monitors/mods that stop these hurtful posts from ever being seen?

Because Facebook is a HUGE FREE site! If people want to have moderators police every page and every comment then they can expect to pay large monthly fees for the service and for a facebook page (which I would be fine with because I despise Facebook anyway).

As it is right now users can delete or block any posters from their OWN pages so that should be enough for most users.

As far as punishing the target by having the kid get off social media if they are being bullied...in a perfect world that may seem so "unfair" but in the real world people need to take steps to AVOID being a victim when the risks are apparent.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need to lock our doors or our cars because all criminals would be locked up, in a perfect world parents wouldn't need to warn their children about strangers because all pedophiles would be in prison. Same thing applies to the internet, people (and parents) need to take steps to protect themselves AND their kids even if it doesn't seem fair in a "perfect world". If that means restricting cell phone privileges or using software to block some sites on the Internet (or even not letting them use the Internet at all) then so be it.

If the parents were not aware of the severity of the bullying then that is one thing but if they were....well teenagers do go off the deep end sometimes.

I cannot BELIEVE what that trash Guadalupe wrote on her fb...
"yes, I bullied Rebecca and she killed herself but IDGAF"

that is what prompted the arrest.

What a waste.

I know that legally, that heinous bully is a child, but IMO, she is missing something human and cannot ever be a normal person. She needs to be kept away from normal people forever or next time it won't be bullying to death, but stabbing to death.

Sick, sick, bully.

12-year-olds aren't even supposed to be on Facebook, you're supposed to be 13 to have an account.

I usually don't have the TV on during study time, but I was watching this on HLN while DD was getting her Latin review stuff together and she said "That is TERRIBLE!".

And I replied "Yes. And that is why you don't have a Facebook."

ETA: she is almost 12 and most of her friends have FB and Instagram and walk around with their phones in front of their faces, even during running club (they WALK, so they still look cute for the boys :rolleyes:.) and one of DD's friends went out for pizza with us and when she sat at the table and texted other friends and Instagramed throughout dinner, I asked her to please put her phone away. She looked at me like I was from Mars.

She hasn't been asked back. Nor will she.

I really don't care if my daughter thinks I'm "cool". She will appreciate me when she is 30. Maybe.

I usually don't have the TV on during study time, but I was watching this on HLN while DD was getting her Latin review stuff together and she said "That is TERRIBLE!".

And I replied "Yes. And that is why you don't have a Facebook."

ETA: she is almost 12 and most of her friends have FB and Instagram and walk around with their phones in front of their faces, even during running club (they WALK, so they still look cute for the boys :rolleyes:.) and one of DD's friends went out for pizza with us and when she sat at the table and texted other friends and Instagramed throughout dinner, I asked her to please put her phone away. She looked at me like I was from Mars.

She hasn't been asked back. Nor will she.

I really don't care if my daughter thinks I'm "cool". She will appreciate me when she is 30. Maybe.

My DD stayed up until midnight the day before her 13th birthday to get on Facebook! (I wouldn't let her get it before then.) She is a year older on FB because apparently, they are on Pacific time. I stood my ground though!

She (now 15) calls me her 'stalker'. I say 'I'm parenting' - I think she appreciates this?!?

My DD stayed up until midnight the day before her 13th birthday to get on Facebook! (I wouldn't let her get it before then.) She is a year older on FB because apparently, they are on Pacific time. I stood my ground though!

She (now 15) calls me her 'stalker'. I say 'I'm parenting' - I think she appreciates this?!?

Lol, I get called a helicopter mom by my DD. Not sure where she heard that term, but whatever. She's right. I don't allow social media. I limit her phone and internet. I expect to know where she is 24/7.

She is 11, almost 12. And I fully expect her to reach her next birthday. And all the ones after, free of abuse, trauma, and teen pregnancy and/or STDs.

Stalker=parenting.....these days, hellz yes! :twocents:

Lol, I get called a helicopter mom by my DD. Not sure where she heard that term, but whatever. She's right. I don't allow social media. I limit her phone and internet. I expect to know where she is 24/7.

She is 11, almost 12. And I fully expect her to reach her next birthday. And all the ones after, free of abuse, trauma, and teen pregnancy and/or STDs.

Stalker=parenting.....these days, hellz yes! :twocents:

WHAT?!?!?! You mean you are like, gasp, a REAL parent???? I am aghast. How dare you not be your daughter's BFF and allow anything she pleases. The shame FrayedKnot, the shame.

I have noticed when there is a bullied girl who commits suicide, the bullies's motives are usually envy and rejection.

Some Examples
Megan Meier-Lori Drew was upset her daughter was no longer friends and felt everyone else had it good, but her.
Phoebe Prince-Kayla Narey and Flannery Mullins were upset that their boyfriends, Sean Mulveyhill and Austin Renaud were dating Prince.
Rebecca Sedwick-Katelyn Roman was upset that her boyfriend, John Borgen, was dating Sedwick.

'They need to take life seriously': Boy at the center of row which caused girls 'to bully Florida teen to suicide' speaks out against her tormentors
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ks-time-telling-suspects-talk-police-did.html

The boy at the center of the cyber bullying feud that drove a young girl to suicide after she was terrorized online for a year admitted last night his feelings for her may have been the cause of the torment.

John Borgen was dating Florida teen Rebecca Sedwick, 12, who jumped to her death on September 10, before he started seeing Guadalupe Shaw.

The 14-year-old was arrested on Monday in connection with her death along with Katelyn Roman, 12, and Borgen admitted last night his continued affection for Rebecca may have been the cause of much of her death.

Good for him for speaking out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back