FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

Grady is considering charging the parents if he finds they knowingly let the girls continue on social media......I hope he finds something.

I wish he would consider running for Govenor....!

How many of us here are from Grady Judds county?

I think if there's a way to charge the parents, he'll figure it out!

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Rebecca Sedwick's former boyfriend, John Borgen, urges bullying witnesses to speak up after Sedwick's suicide
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/arti...oyfriend-urges-bullying-witnesses-to-speak-up

This caught my attention.

"I feel horrible about the whole situation, but like I said, there's two sides to every story," said a man who answered the door at Roman's home identifying himself at Katelyn's father.

After losing a daughter himself years ago, he says his whole family is devastated over what happened to Rebecca.

"The day that this happened, we all felt super horrible. I've even brought my daughter numerous times to the grave where she jumped. She even went over there and prayed at night, but that's all that can be done right now and I can't really say too much more," said Katelyn's father.

Sounds like the father is just as bad. Extreme permissive parenting is just as bad like extreme strict parenting.

My DD stayed up until midnight the day before her 13th birthday to get on Facebook! (I wouldn't let her get it before then.) She is a year older on FB because apparently, they are on Pacific time. I stood my ground though!

She (now 15) calls me her 'stalker'. I say 'I'm parenting' - I think she appreciates this?!?
DD forgot to take her phone to school this morning and left it in plain sight- albeit no charge, so guess who was late to my volunteer job at her school this morning so I could check her Instagram, KIk, and text messages???

Sheriff is on Greta right now. He rocks! :woohoo:

Becca's Law would put more teeth in current law

Posted: 10/17/2013
Last Updated: 1 hour and 55 minutes ago

• By: Ryan Raiche
LAKELAND, Fla. - The family of the 12-year-old girl who took her own life after putting up with bullies for more than a year, is now trying to get a law named in her honor.
"Becca's Law" would put more teeth in the current anti-bullying law to prevent the torment that pushed 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick to take her own life last month.

Pat Jones, Rebecca's Grandmother, started an online petition about two weeks ago. <snip>
Florida already has a bullying and cyber bullying law on the books that gives schools the authority to handle punishment.
But in Rebecca's case, her mother made several complaints and all the school did was switch the kids' classes. The school system said it didn't know the harassment continued online.
"I want it enforced to where this doesn't happen again," Jones said. "I want the first notice of any kind of bullying or abuse or anything to be acted on immediately."
She think if the girls were suspended or punished right away, they would get the message and Rebecca would still be alive today.
Although there are privacy issues to sift through, the Florida School Boards Association now expects schools to start monitoring students online activity.

DD forgot to take her phone to school this morning and left it in plain sight- albeit no charge, so guess who was late to my volunteer job at her school this morning so I could check her Instagram, KIk, and text messages???

OMG! Um, like SERIOUSLY? That is SOOOOOO my privacy. Gahhhh. This is SOOOOOO unfair. I am never going to trust you again! :scared:

Sorry. I became my almost-12-year-old for a sec. :blushing:

I'm okay now. :seeya:

Also, "albeit" is one of my favorite words. Along with "unctuous", "posited" and "prescient".

They just are fun to say. Sorry for the OT.

All this to say; Parents- be aware! Your child may be victimized despite your best wishes, but if you are vigilant and downright snoopy, you may be able to help your baby before they take the tragic way out....

I feel awful for invading my DD's privacy, but even at 11 I have seen things worth addressing and that validates the snooping for me. She can have full privacy when she lives in her own home.

It isn't that I don't trust her, I don't trust the freakshows who are out there just waiting for me to relax. :twocents:

Grady is considering charging the parents if he finds they knowingly let the girls continue on social media......I hope he finds something.

I wish he would consider running for Govenor....!

Grandstanding for political brownie points.

There is no way he could charge the parents.

Grandstanding for political brownie points.

There is no way he could charge the parents.

(Have to admit, I wish this thread was less about "Grady" and more about the bullied girl.)

(Have to admit, I wish this thread was less about "Grady" and more about the bullied girl.)

I have known Grady Judd for many many years, he is not driven by politics...he is driven by a passion to get anyone criminally responsible where they should be. I also indirectly knew Rebecca...and am devastated by this tragedy. What Judd is doing is what wasn't done for her while she was here...I appreciate that...certainly I wish more were done while she were here...where were the school administrators? They let this go on for how long? Rebecca had to change schools? Please don't tell me these girls were able to remain there!

That's good what KR's father said, but it bothers me the "two sides to every story". That sounds like justification for her behavior, for which there is none.
Their pictures and names are out there because of the severity of the charges. I think they were old enough to understand what they were doing- goading someone into acting upon it, and they knew she could end up doing it. I don't see how you could enforce electronic banning from all social media- she'd find other apps, or use fake names. This girl is a bully and recruited others to bully Rebecca to the point where Rebecca's own friends were afraid to be friends with her for fear they'd be targeted. I experienced that in 4th-6th grades. My friends were also afraid to be seen with me for fear they'd be bullied like I was. Fortunately social media didn't exist back then, I wasn't taunted with suicide, only called mean names and pushed into a fight, and I valued myself.

That is because in most cases there are two sides. These sorts of situations generally don't just start for no reason, they are typically a continuation of conflict between two or more people, that one of them eventually loses and the winner doesn't know when it is time to stop (due to being a kid). You only hear about the last blow, not all the other stuff that happens before.

In some cases a kid gets bullied because they are outsiders (due to their appearance, attitude or heritage), but in this particular case it started over a romantic dispute, and those sorts of things cause heated emotions even in adults. Kids behaviour in that scenario will be way worse, this sort of thing happens all the time.

There is an old saying, it takes two to tango. When it comes to bullying, especially the long term sustained kind, there is pretty much always a history behind it. Usually one or both parties can walk away. In this case, the girl was taken out of school and home schooled, so there is no question that the option of stepping away from the conflict was open to her. She chose not to do that, to stay, reinsert herself, and eventually to kill herself. Essentially what she is doing is deliberately making a martyr of herself. It is the ultimate revenge against the person you have a conflict with. This is something we have seen in many of these cases.

IMO this is a serious issue, especially afterwards when these girls (and it usually girls) get all sorts of positive glowing attention heaped on them posthumously. They become role models as it were for the next generation of girls with no real life experience who feel alienated among their peers and suffer from mental stability issues, who in turn see their own departure from this world as a heroic act.

And so the cycle goes on. Bullying is bad, but at the same time I think that burying one's head in the sand about the underlying mental issues these girls probably have is not particularly constructive. And before anyone gets up in arms about that last statement let me be clear: Stable, rational people do NOT kill themselves.

If we pretend that these things don't exist we ensure that we will not be able to effectively intervene the next time around. You can't simply address the bully without addressing the issues the bullied have. If you just deal with one half of that equation all that will happen is that the bullied will just end up with a new, different bully.

Ok, wait. We are talking about kids here. Not stable, rational, adults who have years of life experiences to steer them in the right direction. As a teen, everything is a big deal and over dramatic and seem to go on forever and ever. It's just how kids think.

Also I have a huge issues with people being forced to take their kids out of school and etc cause their kid is being bullied. They shouldnt have to.

I understand there is always a huge story behind every case of bullying, but there is no way in the world anyone is gonna convince me that it is a FAIR fight when you have more than one person picking on one. This isnt a gang of girls versus another gang of girls. Its a pack mentality. Like the poor Irish girl that lived in MA that was hounded constantly by up to 12 people, you cant tell me that a teenage girl or boy could take that? I'm 37 and I couldnt take that!! Day in and day out and online?

Then what is the excuse for the horrible social media comments after the person being bullied is dead? That is not normal. No one is trying to make those who commit suicide due to bullying a matyr, but its seems that blaming them isnt gonna help. Somehow the person who commits suicide is mentally unstable, but taunting and wishing death upon another person is sane and rational behavior for a kid? HOw about the bullies be called to task and be labelled as mentally unstable as well? Lets reveal any underlying mental issues the bully has.

I just get sick when those who are kind hearted and sensative get served up like lambs to the slaughter. Somehow they are defective for not being tough enough or cowards for commiting suicide. When the bully at times is a budding psychopath.

Bullies have always existed but now its beyond teasing. Its mean spirited hatred and downright harrassment that no adult in this world wouldnt be prosecuted for. I cant harrass someone at work, but at school it seems to be o.k. or normal in some districts. I cant imagine wishing someone was dead or getting online and saying you dont give a ****.

Mark my words, there will come a point where instead of killing themselves the bullied will start arming themselves and killing others. Not just shooting up schools, but heading to homes and killing family members too.

Ok, wait. We are talking about kids here. Not stable, rational, adults who have years of life experiences to steer them in the right direction. As a teen, everything is a big deal and over dramatic and seem to go on forever and ever. It's just how kids think.

Also I have a huge issues with people being forced to take their kids out of school and etc cause their kid is being bullied. They shouldnt have to.

I understand there is always a huge story behind every case of bullying, but there is no way in the world anyone is gonna convince me that it is a FAIR fight when you have more than one person picking on one. This isnt a gang of girls versus another gang of girls. Its a pack mentality. Like the poor Irish girl that lived in MA that was hounded constantly by up to 12 people, you cant tell me that a teenage girl or boy could take that? I'm 37 and I couldnt take that!! Day in and day out and online?

Then what is the excuse for the horrible social media comments after the person being bullied is dead? That is not normal. No one is trying to make those who commit suicide due to bullying a matyr, but its seems that blaming them isnt gonna help. Somehow the person who commits suicide is mentally unstable, but taunting and wishing death upon another person is sane and rational behavior for a kid? HOw about the bullies be called to task and be labelled as mentally unstable as well? Lets reveal any underlying mental issues the bully has.

I just get sick when those who are kind hearted and sensative get served up like lambs to the slaughter. Somehow they are defective for not being tough enough or cowards for commiting suicide. When the bully at times is a budding psychopath.

Bullies have always existed but now its beyond teasing. Its mean spirited hatred and downright harrassment that no adult in this world wouldnt be prosecuted for. I cant harrass someone at work, but at school it seems to be o.k. or normal in some districts. I cant imagine wishing someone was dead or getting online and saying you dont give a ****.

Mark my words, there will come a point where instead of killing themselves the bullied will start arming themselves and killing others. Not just shooting up schools, but heading to homes and killing family members too.

BRAVO. Thanks for your post, and your compassion for the victim.

That is because in most cases there are two sides. These sorts of situations generally don't just start for no reason, they are typically a continuation of conflict between two or more people, that one of them eventually loses and the winner doesn't know when it is time to stop (due to being a kid). You only hear about the last blow, not all the other stuff that happens before.

In some cases a kid gets bullied because they are outsiders (due to their appearance, attitude or heritage), but in this particular case it started over a romantic dispute, and those sorts of things cause heated emotions even in adults. Kids behaviour in that scenario will be way worse, this sort of thing happens all the time.

There is an old saying, it takes two to tango. When it comes to bullying, especially the long term sustained kind, there is pretty much always a history behind it. Usually one or both parties can walk away. In this case, the girl was taken out of school and home schooled, so there is no question that the option of stepping away from the conflict was open to her. She chose not to do that, to stay, reinsert herself, and eventually to kill herself. Essentially what she is doing is deliberately making a martyr of herself. It is the ultimate revenge against the person you have a conflict with. This is something we have seen in many of these cases.

IMO this is a serious issue, especially afterwards when these girls (and it usually girls) get all sorts of positive glowing attention heaped on them posthumously. They become role models as it were for the next generation of girls with no real life experience who feel alienated among their peers and suffer from mental stability issues, who in turn see their own departure from this world as a heroic act.

And so the cycle goes on. Bullying is bad, but at the same time I think that burying one's head in the sand about the underlying mental issues these girls probably have is not particularly constructive. And before anyone gets up in arms about that last statement let me be clear: Stable, rational people do NOT kill themselves.

If we pretend that these things don't exist we ensure that we will not be able to effectively intervene the next time around. You can't simply address the bully without addressing the issues the bullied have. If you just deal with one half of that equation all that will happen is that the bullied will just end up with a new, different bully.

You should read "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Odd-Girl-Out-Revised-Updated/dp/0547520190"]Odd Girl Out, Revised and Updated: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls: Rachel Simmons: 9780547520193: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dcX%2B9IqML.@@AMEPARAM@@51dcX%2B9IqML[/ame]

The author did numerous case studies in elementary, middle and high schools and found that most times, the victim of the bullying was chosen at random by a particular girl who then got other girls to pick on the victim.

Often, the victim was totally blindsided.

The scariest part about female bullying is that it is sneaky, passive-aggressive and usually way more psychologically damaging than the more physical bullying favored by males. Teachers and parents are often clueless that it is happening. Especially when the bully is a good student and popular.

It's a heartbreaking and eye-opening read.

You should read "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons.

Odd Girl Out, Revised and Updated: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls: Rachel Simmons: 9780547520193: Amazon.com: Books

The author did numerous case studies in elementary, middle and high schools and found that most times, the victim of the bullying was chosen at random by a particular girl who then got other girls to pick on the victim.

Often, the victim was totally blindsided.

The scariest part about female bullying is that it is sneaky, passive-aggressive and usually way more psychologically damaging than the more physical bullying favored by males. Teachers and parents are often clueless that it is happening. Especially when the bully is a good student and popular.

It's a heartbreaking and eye-opening read.

I think girl bullying is worse.

My bullying was started by boys- I'm a female- but it didn't take long for the girls to join in.

I strongly disagree with you. I was bullied in elementary school for 3 straight years. It was NOT deserved. There is no other side to a bullies' story that deserves justification.
You cannot say that I was mentally unstable, or moreso because I didn't commit suicide. I highly doubt Rebecca Sedgwick committed suicide to be a martyr, she was only 12 years old!!! She just wanted the pain to end. Rebecca was no longer dating the boy in question- so there was no reason to bully her other than the meanness of GS and the girls she recruited to bully Rebecca. Just because Rebecca didn't turn off the social media and walk away doesn't mean she has any blame for her death!!!
And even if her mother or the school could have done more- the person responsible for Rebecca's suicide is GS- she is the one to blame!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back