Jim, Tammy Faye Bakker's Son Has Punk Ministry

windovervocalcords said:
DK for your sake I hope she gets right with you.

Her heart makes her right with the Lord. But what do I know? I'm not a Christian.

You bring out the devil in me Dk. I just want to dip your pigtails in ink! This one's for you babe...

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/o/soldiers.htm
Who told you I wear pigtails??????

(LOL I have no idea what you just said to me, but I laughed at the image.)

Anyways, am I supposed to like the fact they took advantage of Christian's generosity? I can and do forgive her, but it doesn't mean I have to be a fan of what she was a part of. I am not a fan of many televangelists truth be known. I hope she has repented and is ready for Heaven when her time comes soon.

ETA: You have the gift of reading hearts??? I thought only I had such gifts!* :crazy:

*no

Dark Knight said:

Anyways, am I supposed to like the fact they took advantage of Christian's generosity? I can and do forgive her, but it doesn't mean I have to be a fan of what she was a part of. I am not a fan of many televangelists truth be known. I hope she has repented and is ready for Heaven when her time comes soon.
I am not either, I think they are scam artists personally.

Dark Knight said:

ETA: You have the gift of reading hearts??? I thought only I had such gifts!* :crazy:

*no
In Catholic school when I was young they still had inkwells in the desks. But there was no longer any ink in them. It is a famous naughty to dip someone's pigtails in ink in school.

Once upon a time we all had long hair.

I guess I just like to tease you because you get so fierce and serious.

windovervocalcords said:
Hey, did you ever see the movie about Tammy Faye? I love her. Big heart.

no, but i saw her on the The Surreal Life (sp?) & she was a hoot, bless her heart....

2sisters said:
Rent the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin in it, you'll appreciate it!

LinasK said:
Rent the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin in it, you'll appreciate it!
That's about the only Steve Martin movie I've ever liked, he was good in that.

julianne said:
I give him credit for staying off the drugs and booze, for sure.

I say good for him. He's probably going to get a strong following, because many kids and younger people today tend to be put off by some of the "tsk-tskers" and hoity-toityness of some typical churches, where a strict dress code is mandated etc. It's important for people to feel like they "belong" and I think he's certainly carving a niche where one needs to be carved. I say if he is doing good things in his life, and is encouraging others to also do good things in their lives, then he's very much on the right track.
:clap: I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this post states exactly how I feel - thank you for wording it so well, so I didn't have to! :D

Taximom said:
Oops, I didn't read the article yet, but one I read the other day says his mom (Tammy Faye) is in a hospice now.
:(
That makes me SO SAD. :( I'm not a Christian but I admire Tammy Faye'. Seeing her on Larry King brimming with optimism and a positive outlook on her disease was touching. I hope she is comfortable and not suffering.

The one thing I appreciated about Tammy Faye Bakker was her clear acceptance of the homosexual community. I'm not sure how that happened, but that was a good example to others that Christians can and should treat all people as human beings.

I'd love to hear what her old talk-show pal (Jim ?????) has to say as he clearly had a great relationship with her.

I think her son is carrying on that effort to be more accepting of people, without condoning their activities.

Taximom said:
The one thing I appreciated about Tammy Faye Bakker was her clear acceptance of the homosexual community. I'm not sure how that happened, but that was a good example to others that Christians can and should treat all people as human beings.

I'd love to hear what her old talk-show pal (Jim ?????) has to say as he clearly had a great relationship with her.

I think her son is carrying on that effort to be more accepting of people, without condoning their activities.
How do you mean Taximom?
You mean like his Mum's acceptance of gays?

narlacat said:
How do you mean Taximom?
You mean like his Mum's acceptance of gays?
The article I read originally (wish I could find it) stated that Jay's "church" was more open to everyone, which includes the gay community. I'm assuming though!:rolleyes:

Taximom said:
I don't think it's any different than loving a person despite their smoking, using drugs or having an alcohol problem, or whatever activity you personally don't condone.

I'm not here for a debate with anyone.:D

People have control over those things, being gay is not something you can change.

I was just wondering if that's what the article said.

narlacat said:
People have control over those things, being gay is not something you can change.

I was just wondering if that's what the article said.
narlacat, I keep looking for the article I read with no luck. I'll keep looking. I'm glad he was opening his doors to all no matter what their situation (punk etc). That was how I felt after reading it anyway.

Whether or not you can change something doesn't make a difference to me either. I'm not sure what Jay Bakker thinks about that though-that's just me! lol

2sisters said:

I think so, too. My late mother in law used to send them money sometimes and it really annoyed her family. I am sorry that Tammy Faye is so ill and do think that she has a cute personality and is a real character.

Why does there always have to be a religious argument on here?

2sisters said:
Why does there always have to be a religious argument on here?
Amen 2sisters! That is the beauty of living in the USA, we are all free to believe whatever we want. So, all of you.....please practice whatever religion you like, believe how you want to believe, but please have the same respect for everyone else. We will all have the answers when we leave this earth, on way or the other.

narlacat said:
Did it say that about accepting people but not condoning their activites?

I don't get that...that's like those crazy Catholics saying its okay to be gay, as long as you don't have gay sex..
Hey narla, after watching Jay Bakker last night on Larry King I still don't know the answer to that question. That darn Larry King and his silly questions! Anyway, my point was that I'm glad that he and his mom (don't know about Jim) were accepting of others and didn't close people out of religion for whatever reason.

End of discussion, I hope!

Check this page out for LK transcripts if you want to read about Jay's church:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/lkl.html

The Dec 15th transcript will probably show up Monday.

SIDE NOTE: Jay said Tammy Faye is down to about 65-68 lbs. LK interviewed her by phone last night and she receives hospice care at home. She was still as perky as ever and has high hopes for recovery. It didn't sound promising though.

(edited because I can't spell in the morning!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back