13 Separate Similarities Convinces Handwriting Expert

Zelda said:
The sample handwriting analysis you cited is so close its almost a cigar.
I've never seen this before. Was Patsy asked to write a copy of the ransom note? Or given seperate words to copy?
Many similarities. The ransom note was written with a thicker pen than the one Patsy used, too bad they did write the examples with a thicker pen.
The similarity of the commas are eeire.

I hope we can get a similar anaylsis with JMK's writing from the ransom note.

Patsy and John each copied the ransom note many times over. Moreover, they were dictated to at a rapid speed. As best as possible, speed forces people to write in their own style. Further, they were then told to cross out words/sections. Further still, investigators gathered tons of their writing samples.

John's score excluded him. Patsy's score came very close to excluding her.

I think Lehew's professional opinion isn't worth that much if he's willing to declare a match after only seeing two examples of Karr's handwriting - the yearbook signature and a job application.

Zelda,I think Patsy's samples came from an earlier beauty pageant application--they sure look like a good match to the ransom note

Wudge said:
Patsy and John each copied the ransom note many times over. Moreover, they were dictated to at a rapid speed. As best as possible, speed forces people to write in their own style. Further, they were then told to cross out words/sections. Further still, investigators gathered tons of their writing samples.

John's score excluded him. Patsy's score came very close to excluding her.
But not close enough hey Wudge.

OH my goodness! I had not seen that link to her samples. WAY similar. I am 99% sure she wrote the ransom note now. I'm no expert, but dang!

Dude...use your superior logic and reasoning skills to figure out why this guy Lehew saying he's convinced of a match is NOT a major coup.

Nuisanceposter said:
Dude...use your superior logic and reasoning skills to figure out why this guy Lehew saying he's convinced of a match is NOT a major coup.

Handwriting similarity comparison is only going to be a major coup if DNA excludes Karr, but handwriting experts find that Karr's unique signature characteristics defintely mark him as the ransom note writer.

This is what I don't get about handwriting analysis -- so many of those in the link have to do with touching letter combinations ... big fat deal. Many people write like that, the half cursive/half printing thing. It's natural.

And then they pick letters that have a bunch of variations, a dozen o's or t's. Well, the more variations you have, the more chances to find a match, right? If Joe Schmoe almost always writes a y with a curly tail, but just one time writes a y with a straight tail, and they are comparing his writing to John Doe, who usually writes with a straight y tail, but once with a curly y tail ... all of the sudden they pull out the two odd y's that match, and Joe and John have two matches, when really they should have none.

Of course, I am no expert AT ALL, and maybe they do count occurrences, but if they don't, they should. Pick out ALL the d's from one, compare them to ALL the d's of another, and then make a judgment.

Does any of that make sense?

This noodle knob has had ten years to alter his handwriting style to mimic the letter as well. I can tell you that my handwriting from 10 years ago looks different from my current handwriting and looks even less like my handwriting from 20 years ago. I'm more intrested in seeing a sample of his handwriting from 1996.

Wudge said:
Handwriting similarity comparison is only going to be a major coup if DNA excludes Karr, but handwriting experts find that Karr's unique signature characteristics defintely mark him as the ransom note writer.

Why are you using plural when there is only one expert.
Patsy Ramsey is the one who did the deed.

The real experts look at more than just the script.They look at the words used and the syntax and in the Maclish analysis it points to Patsy Ramsey.
Many people can have similar script but they do not have similar sentence structure.

librazone said:

Because if the DNA does not match Karr, it will take more than one expert to make any handwriting match a big deal.

In my opinion Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note with her opposite hand. This would account for the instances where the curvature of some of the letters don't quite match up perfectly.

Overrall, though, her style is dead on with the ransom note.

The question is whether she wrote it herself or with John issuing dictation. I suspect the latter.

I think they wrote it to cover up something terrible, possibly accidental, that happened that Christmas night in 1996.

A handwriting expert was on the Dan & Craig show on KHOW and she said it was be difficult to compare handwriting samples which were made more than 20 years apart with any degree of accuracy.

I'm afraid this "expert" is taking a flying gamble to get his name promoted. The old Karr writing samples I saw on screen had little resemblance to the note. And we're still trying to place Karr closer than 1500 miles to the crime scene and that has to come first...along with establishng that he'd ever even heard of the Ramseys in 1996.

It should also be noted that if Karr is determined to be famous for being involved, he could give writing samples now that are deliberately similar to the note. If he decided to make himself JonBenet's "lover" 6 years ago, he could have modified his writing at that time to be similar. All this stuff is on line and has been for years. (A Boulder reporter last night excitedly noted that in emails Karr knew where the newspaper was, showing he had been to Boulder...or maybe Karr just googles."

I am sorry but this is such junk science I can't even begin to believe experts are crawling out of the woodwork.

I could match something from the ransom note to every soul on this board, if given a sample. I could even match it some on this board that don't have a soul! :D ;)

Sorry, this is crap.

Cal

librazone said:
Because in the article he said he and another expert agreed this is the same handwriting. Also a TH on FOX said the Washington Post had hired a handwriting expert who thought Karr authored the ransom note. So that makes three.

Considering the ransom note has been in the media for pretty much the duration of this unsolved murder, of course his handwriting could match the letter!

My sister forged my mom's name on credit card slips and it looked very convincing.

If this Karr guy has been obsessed with this case, he could take years to imitate the ransom note handwriting and get it down pat

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back