13 Separate Similarities Convinces Handwriting Expert

librazone said:
Wudge said:
Lehew said. “A colleague of mine and I spoke together about the samples, and we found 13 separate similarities that are, in many cases, very unusual, and that makes it a match to me. It certainly indicates to me that John Karr did write the ransom note.”

http://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/homepage/local_story_231172845.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

But there are ten handwriting experts who say Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note.
Exactly. This is not necessarily an "exact" science.

southcitymom said:
Exactly. This is not necessarily an "exact" science.

Correct.

However, if Karr goes before a jury and if there is a series of rare handwriting markers as Baggett stated, those markers will greatly favor the prosecutor who already has a confession in hand.

Wudge said:
Correct.

However, if Karr goes before a jury and if there is a series of rare handwriting markers as Baggett stated, those markers will greatly favor the prosecutor who already has a confession in hand.
I think this Baggett guy should have a look at PR's handwriting. Maybe we get a million-to-one in that case too?

tumble said:
I think the handwriting expertice is burning itself up on this one.
One expert is a million-to-one and another says there are almost no similarities.

It would be interesting to find out what these same experts said when comparing PR and the ransom note ... if they did. I wonder if anyone came out and said it was probable that both wrote the note, or that neither did, or (more likely, just like bias in this forum) that if she did, he didn't, and vice versa.

Wudge said:
Correct.

Excellent point!

Humm... What do Patsy's lowercase "b's" look like? Does anyone have a manuscript (prined) lowercase "b" sample written by Patsy?

The letter "b" is definately the same exact stroke in JMK's yearbook sample and in the ransom note...

Helena U said:
The yearbook says "I shall be the conqueror..."

"Shall be the conqueror" doesn't make any sense. ISBTC would be a match with the yearbook quote, but not SBTC. ISBTCaLIMP would make it one for Ripley's.

I think it is just bizarre to try to use anything this vague from high school, especially since Karr never used that as an acronym (well, as far as I know).

When I saw this and heard it was from high school, I thought, well, at my school we had the very famous IBTC (Itty Bitty Titty Committee)for flat-chested girls. It was actually quite popular & all the best undeveloped girls belonged. ;)

So, now I want to know, was Patsy thinking of this when she wrote that note, but decided to change the I to an S, to make it harder to trace?? Or was it the Smitty Bitty Titty Committee are her school?? :p

Shrinky

tumble said:
I think this Baggett guy should have a look at PR's handwriting. Maybe we get a million-to-one in that case too?

Could be but PR did not confess to murdering JonBenet..and Karr has.

Maybe So said:
Could be but PR did not confess to murdering JonBenet..and Karr has.
Infact she didn't confess. Not even to an accident.

Do you suggest that only confessors should be examined?

angelwngs said:
Patsy was too old to have been taught this method in school in West Virginia. It was not adopted for use until around 1979. She should have been finishing college by then.

Most likely she would have used D'Nealian Handwriting techniques in helping JBR with her writing... and could have easily incoorporated much of the style into her own handwriting. I was not taught to write using this style in school as a student but teaching children to use it caused me to incoorporate some letter characteristics into my own writing. (Especially the lowercase "b", which I think is very ugly and very uncharacteristic of any other handwriting method... I wish I could brake myself of writing my little "b" 's that way!

They're both too old to have been taught this method in school. Karr would have been in high school by then. But if you picked it up from teaching, either one of them could have, too, I guess. My handwriting has changed through the years, too, but probably just from aging hands. :(

Shrinky

Wouldn't JBR have been learning handwriting? I know D'Nealian is used in SOME places in the south, but not all. In NC it is not used (at least in the places where we lived) and in TN it is used sporadically, in KY not at all. It's not a "southern thing" at all.

I know when my child was being taught D'Nealian I started writing that way around him. I wonder if JBR's school used it?

Originally Posted by angelwings
Humm... What do Patsy's lowercase "b's" look like? Does anyone have a manuscript (prined) lowercase "b" sample written by Patsy?

The letter "b" is definately the same exact stroke in JMK's yearbook sample and in the ransom note...
There's a link to Patsy's handwriting all over this thread... if you care to take a look. You can examine all her letters, and she has several examples of how she wrote various "b's"... and various "f's", "g's", a's", "p's"...

Enjoy.

jc9876 said:
Wouldn't JBR have been learning handwriting? I know D'Nealian is used in SOME places in the south, but not all. In NC it is not used (at least in the places where we lived) and in TN it is used sporadically, in KY not at all. It's not a "southern thing" at all.

I know when my child was being taught D'Nealian I started writing that way around him. I wonder if JBR's school used it?

Yes, I agree. I write in the D'Nealian script when I write things for and about Wolfkid, especially if it is going to her teacher. They train the kids to write this way, in my opinion, because the transition is easier for the teacher when the kids get older. But, that is another vent altogether, lol...My Wolfkid had to re learn her entire alphabet using this method. I was annoyed, to say the least, since she had been printing in standard manuscript since she was two.

Wolfkid's real name has two identical letters that are clearly different in D'Nealian. I have gotten into the habit of using this script whenever I write her name.

I still think Patsy did this - I think she thought writing with the D'Nealian influence was another way to disguise her writing, since most people do not recognize the odd script as a normal way of printing.

"I think this Baggett guy should have a look at PR's handwriting. Maybe we get a million-to-one in that case too?"

Good idea!

WolfsmarGirl, always nice to see you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500