2010.03.30 Divers search St. Johns-LE seeks evidence for Volusia County investigation

We have not heard a word on this search on the scanner thread. I listened almost ALL day yesterday (9 am yesterday to 3 am today) and had no clue til Dr Know posted the news article on the thread this morning. We are paying close attention, if we learn of any pertinent information, we will add it to this thread.

I think the silence is saying something. And remember, they were at the Mondex to search for pot plants. :innocent:

I've been wanting them to search that river for a long time. I also wanted more searching done in the area where Caylee was found after Kio Marie's LE interview came out. I'm no super-sleuther, but it's just logical. So whether they are searching for this gun or not, I'm glad they are searching!

ITA! I'm with you one that one. There is no doubt in my mind that this is about Haleigh. Too much as gone on in these last few weeks surrounding the Haleigh case. We have the letters, secret police polys, and NO MORE RELEASED AUDIO TAPES from the players in this case. We've heard absolutely nothing from Ron in awhile.

ETA: I just read the article about the other investigation but I really can't wrap my mind around that. Maybe LE just learned from their mistakes in the Mondex search and found another way to throw us off.

I really hope LE is throwing us off as I would really like to see Haleigh's case solved so she can come home finally.

It looks like they haven't even caught the man that murdered Karen Boehm as he is listed on their crime stoppers website.

http://www.volusiacrimestoppers.com/index.php?loc=details&story=567

Can someone check the jails to see if this man has been arrested or not? Maybe the crime stoppers link hasn't been updated?

I've been wanting them to search that river for a long time. I also wanted more searching done in the area where Caylee was found after Kio Marie's LE interview came out. I'm no super-sleuther, but it's just logical. So whether they are searching for this gun or not, I'm glad they are searching!

I'm glad they are searching too, Kimster!

Even if LE is telling the truth...you never know what they might find.

http://www.wftv.com/news/22991707/detail.html

they mention a murder weapon at the link I posted from WFTV, something about a weapon being thrown over the bridge.

snip~ VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. -- Dive teams from four different sheriff's offices were in the St. Johns River on Monday afternoon searching for a murder weapon near the Volusia-Putnam county line.~ end

more~ Eighteen deputy divers searched the murky the bottom of the St. Johns River. They began at 8:00am and concentrated on a section of river right under Memorial Bridge in Palatka. The divers said they were feeling the bottom with their hands for a gun that was involved in an unsolved homicide within Volusia County limits two to three years ago.

The State Attorney's Office got a tip the weapon was thrown over the side of US-17 and requested Putnam, St. Johns, Clay and Flagler sheriff's offices for the help. Deputies worked in the black water for hours and found nothing.

The search will continue until Wednesday.~ end

Dive teams from four different sheriff's offices...18 deputy divers...to search for a gun involved in a homicide from 3 years ago. Is that typically the amount of manpower used for such a thing in that area? It seems excessive to me if that's what they are doing, but then again I am from a very small town.

I hope this information filters through the jailhouses. :)

Dive teams from four different sheriff's offices...18 deputy divers...to search for a gun involved in a homicide from 3 years ago. Is that typically the amount of manpower used for such a thing in that area? It seems excessive to me if that's what they are doing, but then again I am from a very small town.

Maybe the gun part is true but different case, perhaps?:waitasec:

Maybe it's for both cases. KWIM? I live in a very large city...I have never seen this many different LE depts involved on a search for a gun, IMO. This kinda sounds like a search for a body. MOO

O/T..My heart skipped a beat when I just read the name Karen Boehm..One of my middle daughter's friends in high school was named Karen Boehm..Don't know if she moved to another state or not, but I do know her age isn't 45. The Karen Boehm we know would be around 39 or 40, same age as my middle daughter..

I really hope LE is throwing us off as I would really like to see Haleigh's case solved so she can come home finally.

It looks like they haven't even caught the man that murdered Karen Boehm as he is listed on their crime stoppers website.

http://www.volusiacrimestoppers.com/index.php?loc=details&story=567

Can someone check the jails to see if this man has been arrested or not? Maybe the crime stoppers link hasn't been updated?

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=319038044

Incarcerated DEC 2009 (see link)

Even if the river moves as slow as I've read (a third of a mile an hour) they couldn't really think something would be there 3 years later- especially something as small as a gun. Even accounting for drag, it probably wouldn't still be right there.

However, something weighted would.

Right so let's get this straight. K Boehm was murdered on July 22 2007 in the 2000 block of South Atlantic Avenue.

According to his inmate information his offense date is 5/14/2009 for the charge of robbery gun/deadly weapon. Sentence date was 12/8/2009 for a term of 6 years. Still incarcerated at this time.

I am wondering if LE recovered the gun used in the robbery, and could it be he used the same gun back in 2007 to murder K Boehm? Obviously not right because LE says they were searching for that weapon today.... or were they? :waitasec:

I did a mapquest of the route from the 2000 block of South Atlantic Avenue in Daytona beach Shores to the general area provided to us today on US 17 in Palatka. Mapquest has it as a hour and 15 minute trip. Here is the map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Pal...08&2y=US&2l=29.20308&2g=-80.996519&2v=ADDRESS

Daytona Beach shores is right on the water to begin with. I ask myself why someone would travel over 2 hours round trip to throw a gun over the bridge when seemingly they could have just thrown it in the water in their area. Maybe I am being too critical.

Divers Hope To Solve 2007 Slaying
DAYTONA BEACH SHORES, Fla. -- Deputies from four Central Florida counties are participating in an underwater effort in an attempt to recover evidence from a 2007 Daytona Beach Shores homicide.

*snip*

Investigators believe that key evidence may be in the St. Johns River between Palatka and East Palatka.

Dive teams from the Putnam, Flagler, St. Johns and Clay county sheriff's offices are in the midst of a three-day dive mission to recover items from the river. Investigators are not releasing what items they are seeking.

More at link:
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/23002986/detail.html

It's nice to know that LE is also working hard to solve a case that hasn't been in the national news. Even if this search didn't involve Haleigh's case, it should give us hope.

The current in that area is lean mean and fast, meaning that it runs in what are like ribbons. A diver can't see their hand in front of their mask so if they are searching they are doing so mostly by feel.

I don't believe with the technology available today and yes, any one of those counties could ask for help and get that technology made available to them, that they would risk divers over a gun, especially a handgun. Simply because the odds of them finding it are about nill.

Are they looking for Haleigh? Not at this point, not in that location. Even weighted down, a body at this point would more than likely be either further downstream, in this case meaning more north of the area that they are searching or closer to the shoreline from the wave action created by boats.

Maybe it's for both cases. KWIM? I live in a very large city...I have never seen this many different LE depts involved on a search for a gun, IMO. This kinda sounds like a search for a body. MOO

I thought the same thing when I read the article. This is an old case and I am grateful that LE has not forgotten about it. My question is why the huge search? I feel there is much more to this than what is being reported. Kind of like when they first started searching the Mondex. First is was said it was due to something else-not related to the Haleigh investigation, then the marijuana plants that were found, then it was said it was due to a tip, then it was the letter. So, I don't buy that this is a search just for the woman that was killed years ago. I wonder if the case is connected in anyway? Why would someone all of the sudden give LE information about this slaying now? LE has been to quiet regarding the Haleigh investigation. No new jail audios or information regarding Haleigh. Only the tid bit Art shared that Misty failed another poly. I now wonder if something that was said in that Poly is what led to this search. It seems to much of a coincidence IMO.
:waitasec: Was this area not an area that Ron had mentioned would be a great place to get rid of a body? Or am I thinking of somewhere else? I pray LE finds what they are looking for in both cases and brings Justice and Closure for both victims.

River search continues for evidence in woman's slaying
By Kristin Chambers http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/03/31/news/news01.txt
Published: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The search drew a few curious onlookers to the park area Monday, with some asking if the dive teams were related to missing Satsuma kindergärtner Haleigh Cummings.

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office and State Attorney's Office confirmed that it was not related to the missing child.

Divers search St. Johns--Deputies seek evidence for Volusia County investigation

By Larry Sullivan http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/03/31/news/news.txt
Published: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 Palatka Daily News

Sheriff�s divers spent Monday searching the St. Johns River for murder evidence.

The search near the Memorial Bridge in Palatka has nothing to do with the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings, authorities said.

Specially trained divers from three counties began checking the river bottom just north of the landmark bridge, work could continue through Wednesday.

The search is for possible evidence in connection with a two-year-old slaying in Volusia County, a State Attorney�s official said.

�I can confirm we are involved,� Chris Kelly, a spokesman for the prosecutor�s office, said. �Beyond that, it relates to an ongoing investigation out of Volusia County. That is about all I can say at this point.�

Kelly declined to say what divers were looking for and which slaying case triggered Monday�s search.

�They�ve asked me not to relay which case it�s on,� he said.

�Once they conclude their search I may be able to give more information, but until then that�s about all I can say.�

The search was performed by deputies from Putnam, Flagler and St. Johns counties.

The search drew a few curious people to the park area, where several law-enforcement vehicles were parked.

�Does this have anything to do with that missing girl?� one man asked a deputy.

Do metal detectors work in water? I would have thought using them would be a handier way to find a gun than touching the bottom blindly with your hands.

Do metal detectors work in water? I would have thought using them would be a handier way to find a gun than touching the bottom blindly with your hands.

:waitasec: Good question, I would think that they would be pulling all sorts of metal objects out of the water with some type of metal detector. So, could this mean they are looking for other? :banghead: I know LE needs to keep most close to the vest, but I sure hope they are at least updating the family about what is all going on. I could not imagine being a family member to either cases not knowing if the search was pertaining to my love one.
What caught my attention was the article that was written by By Larry Sullivan. Take note of what he is reporting.

"Snip" http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/03/31/news/news.txt
The search is for possible evidence in connection with a two-year-old slaying in Volusia County, a State Attorney�s Office official said.

�I can confirm we are involved,� Chris Kelly, a spokesman for the prosecutor�s office, said. �Beyond that, it relates to an ongoing investigation out of Volusia County. That is about all I can say at this point.�

Kelly declined to say what divers were looking for and which slaying case triggered Monday�s search.

�They�ve asked me not to relay which case it�s on,� he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back