another comment from the chicks....

michelle said:
I agree with that.
By the way, I know we have very different opinions on the Chicks, but I appreciate that we can debate this is a friendly manner. :blowkiss:

Masterj said:
By the way, I know we have very different opinions on the Chicks, but I appreciate that we can debate this is a friendly manner. :blowkiss:
Me too.....:blowkiss: Its the Mature thing.....

michelle said:
I know, I mean I agree that they have a right to speak their minds. But I would have thought they would have learned by what happened last time that obviously that was a mistake. I think there is a time and a place for everything.

There is a time and place...but they seem to not care about their careers. They can say what they want...whatever...but I am just amazed that they seem so hell-bent on ruining their careers.

They are as entitled to their opinion...as I am...however, I choose not to purchase any more of their CD's nor attend a concert, because I happen to disagree with what they are saying. They can say what they want...I just don't have to like it or listen to it.

Masterj said:
He needs to face the fact that not everyone is a fan of the direction he has taken our country.

That's true...and I don't agree with everything he has done. I'm just offended at what they are saying...and I don't care if the president was a republican or a democrat...I would find what they are saying as offensive.

The one thing that they seem to not understand is that it's all about $$$. If they no longer can draw the crowds at the concerts, and no longer sell the CD's, then they risk being dropped by their recording company. It's much like Tom Cruise. Look what happened to him.

I have my opinions on things. I don't agree with a lot of things going on in this administration, nor did I agree with a lot of things that went on when Clinton was in office. We own or own business and if we were to say the same thing as the Chicks have, I'm sure some of our customers would drop us like a lead balloon. That's life. They shot (and are still shooting) their mouths off...and they have to deal with the end results. It's the way it is...

They certainly have every right to say whatever they feel like saying - whenever and wherever they want to say it. And I certainly have the right to reserve the money I would have spent on their albums or concerts for a better use than lining the pocket of someone that I personally feel is a disgrace to our country. That's America. God Bless each and every one of our rights to make a choice - at the election booth and at the cash register.

If you don't want to buy the cd don't, but I would suggest listening to "not ready to make nice." You don't have to buy there cd's, you can listen on yahoo videos. A free service. The point is they know that people don't agree with their opinion, but that doesn't change her opinion on the president. If you don't want to listen to the song then look up the lyrics. I personally think what she is doing is very comendable. I voted for the president, but do not agree on everything that it has done. She is comendable for standing up in what she believes in no matter the cost. I salute her and the president for using things that we can that other countries cannot.

If people don't want to spend there money on the cd, there not going to listen to it even if it's free or look at the words....
I for one, not going to.:p

The words of the song just show why she doesn't care if she loses a fan, or doesn't sell a cd because of her views. She however does say that she doesn't understand people. That she shares her opinion, and then gets letters in the mail telling her she better shut her mouth or that she deserves to die.

BAD_BUTTERFLY said:
Bobbi, then I have a ? for you. If you believed in something would you "just let it lay?" I wouldn't. Also when and when isn't it the appropriate time to use freedom of speech? You seem to know when it is appropriate. I always thought as being an american that it was whenever I chose. Hmmm maybe I am wrong, maybe I will learn something from you I previously did not know. But then again I doubt it.

Maybe you could learn something...you just never know now do you.

If I were a singer and my career was doing really well I think I would prefer to keep my political views to myself in front of my fans and especially during a concert. When people go to a concert they expect to get their money's worth of MUSIC not someone's political viewpoint. That is not the place to stand up for what a person believes politically.

If I knew that my fans were upset because I had said something that had upset them I would make a public apology. Not necessarily for saying what I did but for saying it where I did. And then I would drop the subject and hope that my fans forgot my error.

If I decided to take 3 years away from my career...when I came back I would have the common sense not to pick up right where I left off. I wouldn't mention what I had said that upset so many people and I wouldn't start putting other singers down. I sure wouldn't come back spoiling for a fight.

I just read in Country Weekly that the Chicks have cancelled ALL of their concerts for the months of Sept and Oct because of low ticket sales. They are taking their tour overseas where they are more popular.

So, if we are in "the business" and we haven't learned anything about the time to voice a political opinion and when not to just take a look at what has happened to the Dixie Chicks who had a great career going.

There is nothing that says a person can't stand up for what they believe in but there is a time and a place to do that. They can join some political group that has a cause or something. Just don't do it on someone elses dime or at the expense of someone else.

All I know is that if I felt that passionately about something that IMO was an injustice, and I were in a position to reach millions of people, of course I would use that outlet.

I think it is safe to say that the Dixie Chicks have made a lot of money already, and money is probably not much of a concern to them. While they probably aren't making as much as they used to, they are still making money AND having their voices heard. While losing fans may be disappointing, I don't think they mind because they feel they are doing what they WANT to do. I do find it humorous that they have always had such a "we are here to shake things up" type of attitude and now that is what is turning off some of their fans.

The Dixie Chicks are by no means down for the count. This documentary (which is ALL about them and this issue) has been receiving rave reviews on the indy film circuits. It will be interesting to see what happends once it is released to a wide audience.

Here's my :twocents: I personally wish all entertainers would keep their opinions to themselves. I like them for what I think they represent. I get lost in their movies, tv sitcoms, talk shows or music video. I think I know who they really are and their point of views on life based on their character. Quite frankly, all too many times, I have really like someone and then see an interview and then can't stand them because they were not who I thought they were. These "famous" people are all glitz and glamour and as stupid as this sounds; I want them to be my little figments of my imagination in my head that take me away from my hectic life for just a little bit each day:cool:

Hope this makes sense. And before anyone blasts me, yes, I realize this is America, the land of free speech.:blowkiss:

Pharlap said:
If people don't want to spend there money on the cd, there not going to listen to it even if it's free or look at the words....
I for one, not going to.:p

I'm right there with ya!

detectivewannabe said:
Here's my :twocents: I personally wish all entertainers would keep their opinions to themselves.

Exactly. I'm not sure why they think their opinion is worth any more than mine.

We own our own business. Do you think I blather on and on about my religious or political views to them? Of course not. It would be suicide for our business. That's life.

It's as if Natalie is just angry that we don't all agree with her. Silly girl. She sure can say what she wants (they all can). But I sure am not going to line their bank accounts (anymore), and it looks as if there are others who agree with me. And I know there are people who support them. But did they really think all their fans would follow behind them as if they were speaking the gospel? lol

To each his own. The lesson here is there are consequences and you just better be ready to face what comes down the pike...once you open your mouth.

Will they recover from this? Possibly. But maybe not. Do they care? Probably not. Do I give a flying fig what they have to say? No. They are just blips on the radar screen of life. And soon the blip will fade away...probably a lot sooner than they'd anticipated. lol

michelle said:
I dont care what they say, they can say whatever they want in the privacy of their own home or wherever it is. But, Obviously these things get out and all I am saying is you would have thought they learned the first time. And isnt this a documentary where they got this clip of Natalie saying Bush is a dumb F#$%...I think she would know people are going to see it and she is going to recieve some crap from it.

Sorry, Michelle. I should have known at once that "on camera" was the wrong time and place to which you referred. Your post was perfectly clear.

I imagine Natalie knew what she was doing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back