GUILTY Australia - Two adults & baby killed in shop explosion, Rozelle, NSW, 4 Sept 2014

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce/posts/10152428472746185

Statement from John O'Brien following the death of his wife and son in Rozelle fire

On Thursday morning I lost my beloved wife, Bianka, and our baby Jude.

Bianka was an inspiration to all who knew her – she was loyal, caring and absolutely loved life. People gravitated towards her because of her beautiful and warm personality.

Bianka and I were together for eight years, married for two, and to say she was the love of my life is an understatement.

I can’t believe how quickly those eight years have flown by but they have definitely been the best years of my life.

I know I was truly loved by her and the feeling was entirely mutual.
She was an exceptional person, a wonderful wife and an even better mother. This week Bianka was due to finish up her part-time work so she could move into the next phase of her life and fulfill her dream of caring for our boy full time.

Being a mother made her happy and she was a natural at it.
That brings me to my son, Jude, who I love with all my heart. By far the proudest moment of my life was becoming a father. He was a perfect baby and never stopped smiling.

Jude had just started to walk and was only just discovering the world around him. Everything was exciting to him and he was just a joy to be around.

He made everyone smile.

On behalf of Bianka’s father, Bill, and myself I would like to thank the community for the many well-wishes, flowers and phone calls we have received.

The events of the past few days have been devastating, but we have been overwhelmed by the response and support from the community.

This broke my heart. The poor man. Happy with his wife and adorable child. How does one recover from that? Jude reminds me of my niece. So sad.

INTERESTING about the footnote on the SMH article, specifically stating that the statement being retracted, where police had said Adeel Khan was NOT being treated as a suspect...
So, what does that indicate?? That he IS being treated as a suspect??...

Channel 9 news report today also said that the silver car seen doing a hasty U turn and speeding off from around that site, is no longer being pursued as a line of inquiry.

The reporter also mentioned that she had spoken to Adeel Khan's wife, who had told her that just because her husband is a survivor, he should NOT be treated as a suspect, and that they have three children and are also 'doing it tough' or something to that effect...

Given that the news report indicated that accelerant HAD BEEN FOUND at the site, I wonder where that accelerant came from? Surely, from someone who had access to the premises between closing on Wednesday and the time of the explosion... I find it hard to rule Adeel Khan out of being a suspect...

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/acceleran.../2014-social_traffic-all-postprom-nnn-ebaby-o

Accelerant found at Rozelle crime scene

A fire at a Rozelle shop, which killed three people, appears to have been deliberately lit, after traces of accelerant were found at the scene.

Police are treating the fire as a suspected case of arson, but have ruled out any links to a silver sedan seen speeding from Darling Street.

"The silver car has been ruled out of detectives' inquiries," a source close to the case confirmed on Monday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/accelerant-found-at-rozelle-crime-scene-20140908-10dvfq.html#ixzz3CiLo4TYE

So I guess that silver sedan just got the fright of their lives and sped off when the explosion happened? Understandable, but I'd have thought they might have come forward a bit sooner than they seem to have done.

So I guess that silver sedan just got the fright of their lives and sped off when the explosion happened? Understandable, but I'd have thought they might have come forward a bit sooner than they seem to have done.

My understanding from early reports from council workers was that the silver car sped off just BEFORE the explosion/fire. Maybe they were reticent about coming forward because it had been reported that they were *speeding* back down Darling Street.

This is an excellent article - it sounds like a vapour explosion. Interesting fact about the silver sedan:

A spokesman confirmed to news.com.au today that police have ruled out the silver car as a line of inquiry.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...the-deadly-blast/story-fnj3rq0y-1227051673250

It appears from this article it could be a faulty refrigerator, the afternoon before the shop felt hot? BUT there were traces of accelerant, maybe petrol.

Could it be the combination of the two which made it so devastating? Refrigerator overdue for repairs, someone using petrol to cause a fire, the combination of the two created a huge fireball and explosion. jmo

Peter Yeon, manager of a Japanese restaurant nearby on Darling Street, said an employee saw Mr Khan having a heated conversation outside the convenience store about 10pm on the evening before the explosion.
"He was arguing with someone in front of his shop," Mr Yeon said.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/accelerant-found-at-rozelle-crime-scene-20140908-10dvfq.html

if the shop was hot that night because of the faulty refridgeration, mr khan may have been there trying to fix it at 4 am, he was found under one, and if this other person mr khan was arguing with came back later and lit petrol at the back of the store as a revenge attack, the gas in the fridges would have exploded.
all neighbours describe the khan family as lovely people, so its hard to believe he would have endangered the lives of the people living above.
also no further mention of the trail of blood found outside the store

For whatever reason, police and media are sticking to their guns and referring to this as an arson incident. If the refrigeration was faulty, then Mr Khan would have been well placed to appoint a qualified technician to fix it. The irony is, that Chris Noble, one of the persons killed, was a refrigeration technician ...
It's not proven that it was the fridges, though. It could have been the air con or other factors that made the store feel hot. At the end of the day, the store being 'hot' is the perception of one or two people. It's hard to know how bad the 'problem' actually was.\
Radio news reported that police, following their interview of Mr Khan over the weekend, are currently 'assessing' his reason for being in the store at that time of the morning and will be going back to interview him later this week.

Breaking news on Channel 9 news today was that a jerry can was found in a car that was recovered just metres from the demolished building ... And that up to three people could be involved with this ...

Just re-listened to the video of yesterday's channel 9 news report. It also mentions that one person is believed to have fled the scene with injuries sustained as a result of the blast... That could explain the trail of blood along Darling Street. Perhaps the store exploded before anyone actually set it alight with deliberation? Imagining that the whole place was doused with fuel (back to front - the direction of the fire), one person could have finished pouring out the petrol and the store went up just from someone else flicking a light switch. That's how flammable petrol vapours are.

JMO, but upon reflection it strikes me that the reported high temperature in the store in the day or days preceding the blast could have been part of an elaborate set up in advance of the blast. Someone could have deliberately turned off air con, to give effect that there was something wrong the 'equipment' in the store, which might then help explain a subsequent fire.
How amateurish, if that were the case though... To then go ahead and douse the place with petrol, and not think that that would be picked up in forensic tests of the site?!

Thanks for that update. Hopefully they can trace the car's owner easily.

JMO, but upon reflection it strikes me that the reported high temperature in the store in the day or days preceding the blast could have been part of an elaborate set up in advance of the blast. Someone could have deliberately turned off air con, to give effect that there was something wrong the 'equipment' in the store, which might then help explain a subsequent fire.
How amateurish, if that were the case though... To then go ahead and douse the place with petrol, and not think that that would be picked up in forensic tests of the site?!

I think that is a great possibility Xantara, great detective work. :)

Little did they know this wouldn't be some localized fire to burn the store out, it became a huge explosion.

Never ceases to amaze me, where greed and desperation leads people to do the unthinkable. :( RIP innocent victims.

It would be interesting to know, in due course, whether Adeel Khan's wife was an 'accessory' to this plan/act. What do others think?

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-in-store-explosion-probe-20140911-3f9z5.html

A new report, also with some new information:
- Adeel Khan used to scope out prices at another Rozelle supermarket, but was thrown out for harassing staff
- Police are trawling through up to four days' worth of cctv footage from local petrol stations, presumably to see if someone has been caught purchasing fuel for the store fire
- There were several gas cylinders behind the convenience store.

On the subject of convenience stores - I never really shop in those stores, unless i am absolutely desperate. There seem to be more and more of them popping up in the Sydney cbd - almost seems like on every other street corner! My experience with those kinds of stores is that product lines are limited and prices are very expensive.

Hard to say, but for all we know, the reported 'argument' between Adeel Khan and three people outside his store at 10pm on the eve of the blast could have been part of an elaborate stage-setting as well?? That is, to give public the impression that he had 'enemies'??
JMO
I hate to think how long it is going to take police to trawl through three to four days of cctv footage from local petrol stations... Does anyone have any thoughts on what police's rationale would be, for looking from stations within 1 kilometre of the store?
Obviously I can see the logic on the one hand, but wouldn't that almost be too obvious? What about petrol stations within one kilometre of where Adeel Khan lives? But, wouldn't you think, if you were planning to blow up a building with petrol, you'd fill a jerry can up at some location totally unassociated with the culprit?? Or is there a compelling logic to doing so as close as possible to where the act is carried out, so as not to be travelling long distances with a jerry can full of petrol in a car, for fear of being stopped or having an accident and the car blowing up, or something?????

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/rozelle-s...rning-of-fatal-explosion-20140911-10fijp.html

"I know nothing".
I was wondering what Adeel Khan might have said to police who visited him in hospital on the weekend after the blast, in response to them trying to establish what he was doing at the store at 4am.
So, according to this report, seems he can't recall...
And it is reported that his wife was trying to call him, wondering where he was. There are two ways of taking that, I suppose. Firstly, to take it at face value that she really was totally in the dark about everything and just suddenly realised her husband was not home at four in the morning and tried to call. Or, she was calling his mobile to check with him on 'how the job was going'. At the end of the day, the call attempts would just be metadata on her and his phones...
The report also indicates that she went as far as drive to the store herself to find out what had happened to him. Well, how does that make sense? After having reportedly/allegedly not been able to contact him by phone, how did she know where he was?!!
JMO, but the more we hear about this story, the more sus it all sounds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back