GUILTY Canada - Tyeshia Jones, 18, Duncan BC, 21 Jan 2011

In reading some of the comments at the bottom of some of the news articles about this tragic case, I have to agree with some of the people that are posting.

Scary and dangerous as it can be to be out walking alone in the middle of the night, I think we're going to find that whoever committed this awful crime was in some way known to poor Tyeshia. Most predators are not going to sit on the side of such a remote area at 3 AM on the off-chance that some hapless young woman will come along. I think she was grabbed by someone who knew she was enroute, on foot and alone that morning.

There are some rumblings in the comments section of some of the articles that this may in some way have to do with some of the apparent problems between those residing on the reservation (called the "band", by locals) and the federal government. I'm not from anywhere near Canada, so I have no idea whether there could possibly be any merit to any of this.

This case reminds me of another case involving a young Native woman leaving a party and on her cell phone, Hilary Bonnell in New Brunswick. That case has been solved and a trial is about to begin. However, I have to agree with the commentors from your link that Native women are more at risk of domestic violence than the overall population. Also, there are too many unsolved murder cases involving Native women and it is a disgrace. Many wonder if the cases get less focus because of the fact that the victims are First Nations women. I really hope this case gets resolved quickly. RIP Tyeshia.

In reading some of the comments at the bottom of some of the news articles about this tragic case, I have to agree with some of the people that are posting.

Scary and dangerous as it can be to be out walking alone in the middle of the night, I think we're going to find that whoever committed this awful crime was in some way known to poor Tyeshia. Most predators are not going to sit on the side of such a remote area at 3 AM on the off-chance that some hapless young woman will come along. I think she was grabbed by someone who knew she was enroute, on foot and alone that morning.

There are some rumblings in the comments section of some of the articles that this may in some way have to do with some of the apparent problems between those residing on the reservation (called the "band", by locals) and the federal government. I'm not from anywhere near Canada, so I have no idea whether there could possibly be any merit to any of this.

In some parts of Canada, various First Nations have received large payments/settlements from the government to compensate for lost land or natural resources taken from First Nations lands. In many cases this large amount of money is not handled well on behalf of the group, as the group had been living in relative poverty prior to that and had not developed money management or investment skills over a period of time. It can create problems similar to large lottery wins.)

I highly doubt that Tyeshia's killing (if this is confirmed) has anything to do with the band finances. As pointed out, she was simply walking along a road late at night, not near her home. What are the chances that someone wanting to inflict hurt on her family would happen along at the right time.

I agree with others that it is also unlikely that someone was waiting by the road on the chance that a young woman would walk by. However, I don't completely discard the notion that some random person could have been driving home along that road after a night out drinking, and decided to take advantage of the fact that there was a young woman walking alone in a fairly desolate area.

Equally likely...someone who knew she was heading out from the party by foot took advantage of that situation.

Victoria, B.C. - The body of 18-year-old Tyeshia Jones was found in a wooded area near Duncan Friday morning, bringing a tragic end to a week-long search.
Police say they suspect foul play in her death and they have started a homicide investigation.

http://www.globalnational.com/world/Missing+teenaged+girl+found+dead/4187637/story.html
Search-and-rescue technicians conducting a methodical grid search found the body near the Shaker Church cemetery off Indian Road.
Police officers will be knocking on doors in the Indian and Miller roads area over the weekend, said RCMP Cpl. Darren Lagan. "We'll be going back to people who weren't there earlier in the week just to see if anybody has seen or heard anything."
Search-and rescue-technicians will assist in the hunt for evidence, Lagan said: "You'll see more grid searches done in the days to come."

In some parts of Canada, various First Nations have received large payments/settlements from the government to compensate for lost land or natural resources taken from First Nations lands. In many cases this large amount of money is not handled well on behalf of the group, as the group had been living in relative poverty prior to that and had not developed money management or investment skills over a period of time. It can create problems similar to large lottery wins.)

I highly doubt that Tyeshia's killing (if this is confirmed) has anything to do with the band finances. As pointed out, she was simply walking along a road late at night, not near her home. What are the chances that someone wanting to inflict hurt on her family would happen along at the right time.

I agree with others that it is also unlikely that someone was waiting by the road on the chance that a young woman would walk by. However, I don't completely discard the notion that some random person could have been driving home along that road after a night out drinking, and decided to take advantage of the fact that there was a young woman walking alone in a fairly desolate area.

Equally likely...someone who knew she was heading out from the party by foot took advantage of that situation.

Thanks for the background regarding the financial issues- makes total sense.

I wonder if Tyeshia rebuffed someone's advances at the party she attended, or inadvertently upset someone for another reason, and that person followed her when she left. It's possible, especially if alcohol was involved, the person decided to take advantage of her vulnerability in such a remote area in the middle of the night. I don't know, exacting some revenge for some perceived wrong against them or something. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened, unfortunately.

This case reminds me of another case involving a young Native woman leaving a party and on her cell phone, Hilary Bonnell in New Brunswick. That case has been solved and a trial is about to begin. However, I have to agree with the commentors from your link that Native women are more at risk of domestic violence than the overall population. Also, there are too many unsolved murder cases involving Native women and it is a disgrace. Many wonder if the cases get less focus because of the fact that the victims are First Nations women. I really hope this case gets resolved quickly. RIP Tyeshia.

Reminds me of the flack LE and MSM get here in the states when a minority or person of color goes missing. There are a lot of people who feel that white women get a lot more publicity and are higher on LE's priority list than men or minorities. Tragic, for sure.

Sometimes I really wish Canada had the death penaly. I am thinking maybe someone (or someones) from the party she was at might have followed her.

I am looking at Google Maps and it seems she already walked for about half an hour and was pretty close to that store. I wonder if she actually made it there. Who is that friend she was supposed to meet? Why didn't he/she pick her up? How can they be so sure she never made it?

ETA: I read that she was supposed to spend the night at her friends house (the party house I suppose) but went out to meet a boy at the superstore.

ummmm, her 'friend' that she was supposed to meet at the Superstore waited for only a 1/2 hour & left?

did this 'friend' try calling her cell phone or attempt to look for her elsewhere?

common sense tells me that if you know an 18 year-old girl is walking at 3 a.m. to meet you & she doesn't show up, that you might be concerned for her safety and go looking for her

it's not like they had a 3 p.m. mall date & she was getting a ride ...

the 'friend' has got some splainin' to do IMO

ummmm, her 'friend' that she was supposed to meet at the Superstore waited for only a 1/2 hour & left?

did this 'friend' try calling her cell phone or attempt to look for her elsewhere?

common sense tells me that if you know an 18 year-old girl is walking at 3 a.m. to meet you & she doesn't show up, that you might be concerned for her safety and go looking for her

it's not like they had a 3 p.m. mall date & she was getting a ride ...

the 'friend' has got some splainin' to do IMO

Definitely strange, I agree! I think we need to A) know what happened to her while she was at that party (did anyone hit on her, were there any altercations, etc?) and B) did the friend she was headed to meet think it odd that she didn't show up? Why not pick her up from the party? Why not call other friends of hers, assuming she didn't show up and didn't pick up her phone when called to find out why?

I can't imagine going home/leaving someplace, knowing I was to meet a friend. If that person doesn't show up, I'm on the phone making sure everything is ok. I can't imagine that I'm the exception to that rule??

was the cell found at the Superstore in a garden there? is that what they're pointing out in this video at the 1:49 mark?

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=uYY7dnFhWXhKkvJDBoZLvcrDnxYNoAFY

Uh oh. I think you're right. Why else have the person in the garden, pointing while the reporter talks of finding her cell phone "near by"? Plus, this is the first I've heard that Tyeshia was going to the superstore to meet a "boyfriend". This makes me really nervous.

"Police say she left a friend's home in Duncan some time before 3 a.m. to meet a boy at a local grocery store, but never arrived. Her cell phone was found on the grounds of the Yuthuythut Adult Learning Centre the next day. "

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...stice_110129/20110129?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

"The 18-year-old vanished last Saturday after attending a party in Duncan. She sent a text message at 3 a.m. and had not been heard from since."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/01/29/bc-tyeshia-jones.html#ixzz1CU1Z6jjw

"Police aren't sharing information on whether they believe Jones knew her assailants."

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/M...+near+Duncan/4187637/story.html#ixzz1CU26dkcR

It sounds like LE thinks there may be more than one person involved and hence the appeals for people to reveal what they know.

I agree, why wouldn't the male friend alert LE or the home where Tyeshia came from that she did not arrive at the Superstore?

I've noticed that LE has been very careful not to mention the name of the person Tyeshia was going to meet. (Perhaps he is a minor?) They have obviously interviewed him, and would not be pinned down when a reporter asked whether he was a suspect. The detective said that they didn't even have a person of interest, let alone a suspect and that they had talked to a great many people.

I presume that LE also interviewed as many people from the party as possible.

B.C. cops probe separate murders of two teenaged girls

<snips>

VANCOUVER &#8211; B.C. cops in two different places are probing foul play in the discovery of the bodies of two teenaged girls.

On Vancouver Island, police say they suspect foul play following the discovery of the body of 18-year-old Tyeshia Jones in a wooded area off Indian Road in Duncan. She had been missing for several days and an intense search resulted in the discovery of her body.

In Northern B.C., police also suspect foul play in the death of a 17-year-old girl whose body was found at a home on Uncha Mountain Road near Burns Lake. Cops released details of the discovery on Friday although the girl was found dead on Wednesday at around 3.45 p.m.

Police said they were called to the home on a report of an unconscious female. Upon arrival, they determined that she was already dead. Police have not released her identity but say the death is suspicious and further tests have been ordered to determine a cause of death.

There is nothing to suggest the two suspicious deaths of teenagers in two different locations are linked.

more: http://www.vancouverite.com/2011/01/29/b-c-cops-probe-separate-murders-of-two-teenaged-girls/

The mother of slain 18-year-old Tyeshia Jones spoke Saturday of her heartbreak over losing her &#8220;angel.&#8221;

&#8220;She was my whole world and she still is,&#8221; Mary Jim said in an interview. &#8220;She is my angel. I always called her my African queen &#8212; because she was mixed black and native.&#8221;

Jones was not allowed out at that time of night, her mother said. &#8220;As a parent raising a young female child, I just encourage the teenagers today to start paying better attention to parents,&#8221; Jim said. &#8220;Tyeshia made this mistake one time and that&#8217;s all it took.&#8221;

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/angel+whole+world/4191919/story.html#ixzz1Cd35krQP

The police search included the examination of tire marks around the cemetery.

More than 50 investigators from southern Vancouver Island were working on the investigation, and two command posts were set up on Indian Road.

"The police are all over the place," said Joe Thorne, a Cowichan Tribes elder and cousin of the victim. "I know they are going to find this person or persons."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mo...e+teen+death/4194587/story.html#ixzz1Cd3qP5vF

'No way' a stranger would know area where Duncan teen's body was found, cousin says
By Cindy E. Harnett, timescolonist.com January 31, 2011 7:42 AM
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...een+body+found+cousin+says/4194044/story.html

In addition to the man she was going to meet, there was a &#8220;clique&#8221; of about four other males who were in the area at the time she disappeared, Thorne said.

&#8220;There are basically up to four or five names and &#8230; some are apprehensive about [what] they are doing and where they&#8217;re going and even what they are saying,&#8221; he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back