CO - Maggie Long, 17, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017 - MAPS, MEDIA, TIMELINE **NO DISCUSSION**

margarita25

Reaction score
CO - Maggie Long, 17, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017 - MAPS, MEDIA, TIMELINE **NO DISCUSSION**

Discussion Thread #1:

Found Deceased - CO - Maggie Long, 17, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

The Canyon Courier reported that family and friends became suspicious when Maggie Long, 17 of Bailey, didn’t show up to a concert at Platte Canyon High School that she helped organize.

Long’s sister posted about her disappearance on Facebook Friday night.

There was a fire at around 6 p.m. Friday in the 3700 block of County Road 43 that is being investigated as arson, according to Park County Undersheriff Dave Wohlers.

“The Park County Sheriff’s is actively working a crime scene off of County 43 and as of this time there are no search parties being organized however if in the event one is needed in the near future the Park County Sheriff’s office will ask for volunteers,” Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said in a Facebook post Saturday afternoon.

A sheriff’s office spokesperson said the fire at the house on County Road 43 is where Maggie long lives. There is significant damage to the home, but the spokesperson said it’s not clear yet if anyone was there.

17-year-old girl reported missing in Park County | FOX31 Denver

More at link but no photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no body found at the scene of the fire.

maggie-long-3-from-maggie-long-fb.jpg

Girl Missing Following Arson Fire At Family's Home

"Deputies cannot say at this time if she is actually missing - an update is expected sometime on Sunday."

http://www.9news.com/news/local/par...e-friday-arson-reported-at-her-home/496434639

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Just a weird connection, but Maggie Long's sister Lynna was one of the six girls taken hostage by Duane Morrison at Platte Canyon High School in 2006.

Colorado Gunman Sent Ominous Letter

Maggie Long's family is asking if anyone had any contact w/her after school (approx 2:30pm) until 8pm to please let them know .

Police say they do not have search parties out looking for Long, adding they’re also working to see if there’s a connection between her disappearance and the family home fire.

Deputies: Park County teen not seen since Friday

Platte Canyon High School student missing after fire in family home

Interesting info about the 911 call, I'm so confused about if LE think she is missing or deceased or a suspect in the arson?

The Platte Canyon High School student, who friends said was well liked and active on the speech team, was reported missing after not returning to a concert at the school. The suspected arson broke out at her home and Long's car was found there.

The family is known to people in Bailey for owning businesses in town, including a Chinese restaurant in downtown Bailey and a Thai cafe and liquor store off Highway 285. The liquor store was the only one of the family businesses open Monday. An employee at the store said the past few days have been very emotional for the family.

No search parties have been organized.

Gag order on missing Bailey girl case deepens mystery | FOX31 Denver

Timeline since she went missing Friday night and the fire:

On Saturday, the sheriff’s office said it was “working a crime scene” off of County Road 43, but said no search parties were being organized to look for Long.

On Sunday morning, the sheriff’s office posted a message to Facebook: “Due to the serious nature of this investigation we ask that you keep the Long Family in your prayers. We are not able to release any further information at this time.”

And on Sunday night, the sheriff’s office said it was “working on an active arson investigation” and said: “We do not believe there is any risk to the public. We continue to ask for prayers for the Long family. We’re not ruling anything in or anything out. We’re in full investigative mode. We’re as perplexed as anyone. Anything’s possible. We’re trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle, and the only thing I can say, is it’s a work in progress.”

And on Monday morning, the sheriff’s office said the gag order had been issued and that no other information would be available about the case.

Gag order issued in missing Park Co. girl case

This is the family restaurant which is open 7 days a week, 11am-9pm
https://www.facebook.com/DerrickThaiPine/

her school FB Platte Canyon Graduates

The gag order prohibits the release of any information about the case by first responders, law enforcement, court personnel, the coroner's office, the district attorney's office or anyone associated with these agencies.

The order will remain, it states, until "such a time as it is determined that the release of the information would no longer affect the integrity of the on-going investigation."

http://www.9news.com/news/local/gag...f-park-county-teen-last-seen-friday/496777204

Keagan Harsha, a reporter with FOX31, posted on her Facebook page on Sunday:

"We're hearing lots of frightening rumors about what happened to Maggie Long, but nothing confirmed. She vanished right around the same time her home was set on fire, so it's all very suspicious. Join us for the latest on FOX31 KDVR.com tonight.

17-year-old girl reported missing in Park County | FOX31 Denver "

The "frightening rumors" part doesn't sound too positive.

Here is a copy of the gag order.

attachment.php

There are homes nearby but they certainly wouldn't be able to hear or see anything from that distance.
62868b9793a174acd70286a525cf4605.jpg
30bb729881d7c2f799d7e4704c9088f4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

"The home at 3763 Park County Road 43 belongs to 54-year-old San Ca Long, according to online public records."

According to this news story, the family is refusing to talk, asking the media to stop contacting them. But authorities say they feel strongly that there is no danger to the community. ?????

It seriously makes me wonder about kidnapping, but serious kidnappings only happen in the movies, right?

https://news.google.com/news/video/krjx11PkVqg/dL8bxPmO9l8QqAMXYYDOBSLpyvtnM?hl=en&ned=us

Here's another link to that story, posted through youtube.

Here's another news story from Monday. At the end of the story, the reporter stated that a worker at the family's restaurant stated that Maggie's parents were down in Denver (about 45-minutes to an hour away), trying to "sort this all out."

So it sounds to me like the parents were being interrogated by LE. LE may ask the parents to take polygraph tests to determine whether they know anything that they are not disclosing. Weird.

"An update Saturday to the family member’s post said, “Right now we are focused on Maggie’s communications from after school (approx 2:30pm) until 8pm. If you had any contact please reach out. If you have heard anything strange or seen anything out of the ordinary, it might be a significant detail. Please help us to fill in the gap.”"

Girl Missing Following Arson Fire At Family’s Home

"Undersheriff Wohlers confirmed investigators are considering the missing girl’s possible involvement in the fire.

However, he said, there are no suspects regarding the arson."

Nothing reported on the calendar for December 1:

Calendar - Platte Canyon High School

"Maggie Long, 17 of Bailey, was reported missing Friday after she didn't show up to a concert at Platte Canyon High School that she helped organize."

Park County teen missing after fire in family's Bailey home

Apparently one of the people in the house was Maggie Long, a 17-year-old Platte Canyon High School student.

The fire broke out about 6 p.m. Friday. No search parties are being organized.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Posted seven minutes ago on the "Find Missing Maggie Long" facebook page.

CRAP Body of missing 17-year-old Maggie Long found in burned Park County home | FOX31 Denver

he body of a missing 17-year-old girl have been found and identified from her burned home, the Park County Sheriff’s Office said Friday.

Anyone who saw suspicious vehicles, individuals or activities along Park County Road 43 on Dec. 1 is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 303-239-4243.

Body of missing 17-year-old Maggie Long found in burned Park County home | FOX31 Denver

The original police report from last Friday stated that the 911 call came from ML's residence. (I'll look for a source, but I'm sure of this.)

Edited to add source of that information: Platte Canyon High School student missing after fire in family home

"He said fire investigators consider the Friday blaze suspicious because of “the concentration of where the fire’s at.”

I wonder where the fire is.... Who lives at the house? Just the parents and the daughter?

Source: Girl Missing Following Arson Fire At Family's Home

The audio from this same Dec. 2, 2017 article stated that the fire broke out on Saturday at the home of a "family member."

"Undersheriff Wohlers confirmed investigators are considering the missing girl’s possible involvement in the fire.

However, he said, there are no suspects regarding the arson.

Wohlers also said there was no body found at the scene of the fire."

See it? On the left. Now it could be a shop or big garage or something, but I thought it looked like a small home. Maybe like a little guest house.
728468cd2ae32db2abdc4bc0d656962b.jpg

There's also a building to the east of the house. Looks like a large detached garage for a RV, but it could be another residence.

attachment.php

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/mis...ome-homicide-investigation-underway/497628903
KUSA - The Park County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Thursday morning that they have positively identified the human remains found inside of a burned home as Maggie Long, a 17-year-old who was reported missing after her home caught fire on Friday.

Investigators say they believe the fire was intentionally set, and in a news release Thursday, said they consider Long’s death a homicide.

:(

Here's something that's odd

"The Park County Sheriff’s Office 911 dispatch received a call from a residence at 3763 County Road 43 in Bailey, Friday, Dec. 1.

The caller said there were people at the residence arguing, throwing stuff around and trying to set the house on fire.

Apparently one of the people in the house was Maggie Long, a 17-year-old Platte Canyon High School student.

When deputies arrived at the house, they reported that they could see flames coming through the roof.

Platte Canyon Fire Protection District was called to the scene and and Elk Creek Fire Protection District was called for mutual aid, sending a tender and crew to the residence."

How long from the time of the call to the time LE would make it out there?
The caller said someone was *trying* to start a fire but when police got there it was coming out through the roof. Then they called the fire department.

Park County, Colorado is very large, geographically---over 2,200 square miles, twice the size of Rhode Island (!!), but with a population of only 16,000. Bailey is on the far east side of the county, closest to Denver, and the area near Bailey is the most dense in population. The county seat is Fairplay, Colorado, which is 47 miles from ML's house, two-lane road all the way, over at least one mountain pass. Per Google maps, it would take 57 minutes to drive from Fairplay to ML's house. It depends on where the deputy was when the call came in. There may have been patrolmen near Bailey, or they may have been all the way on the other side of the county at Guffey, which is 91 miles from ML's house and one hour, forty-three minutes away.

attachment.php

Oh, now police have issued a BOLO for a male driving a minivan. SMH.

Police exploring leads in teen's killing

MOOoooooo.......

Now the sheriff says there are no suspects. The mystery and frustration deepens.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/inv...spect-in-park-county-teens-homicide/498071847

"“If we knew who we were looking for, we would broadcast it from every corner,” Park County Undersheriff Dave Wohlers told 9Wants to Know. “We have an army of people working on a bunch of [tips] at this point.”"

"At the same time, Wohlers said that the task force believes some weapons may be missing from the girl’s family home, including an AK47 rifle, 2,000 rounds of ammunition and a 9mm Beretta handgun. It is also believed a large green safe may have been stolen."

Search For Suspect, Vehicle In Teen's Homicide Investigation

Investigators are searching for a late model 90s to 2000 light-colored minivan possibly driven by a while male in his 20s who is heavily armed with weapons and ammunition.

The driver may have suffered flash burns in the fire. Investigators believe that gasoline was taken from the home, along with a large case, AK47, 2,000 rounds of ammunition for a 7.62 and 9mm Beretta. They consider the suspect armed and extremely dangerous.

This was updated at 3pm today and I just watched the story on the news.

Former FBI profiler weighs in on Park County teen’s death and resulting*investigation

"FOX31's Mike Landess spoke with what a former FBI profiler to shed some light on the early stages of the investigation."

Former FBI profiler weighs in on Park County teen’s death and resulting investigation | FOX31 Denver
*video at link

(Very curious what he has to say, I've been holding back on my armchair profiling thoughts so far.)

Local news, but they've used a drone and gotten very close to the house so you can see where it's boarded up.

Search For Suspect, Vehicle In Teen’s Homicide Investigation
December 8, 2017 at 6:19 pm

"The fire at the Maggie Long’s home happened the same day she vanished, Dec. 1."

Snip

"A family member said in a Facebook post that Long had disappeared that day."

"Others are fearful with the cryptic description of the suspect released by authorities.

“With what we have been told about the suspect and not knowing where he is… scares all of us,” said one person who did not want to be identified."

Search For Suspect, Vehicle In Teen’s Homicide Investigation

Police exploring leads in killing of 17-year-old Maggie Long

"PARK COUNTY, Colo. – Law enforcement agencies statewide are exploring multiple leads in the death of the Park County teen whose body was found in her burned home."

Snip

"An alert sent out to law enforcement agencies across Colorado appeared to describe*a potential suspect in Long’s death, however police say they are currently exploring a number of leads in this case, and hope to release more information soon."

Very interesting, as you guys already mentioned:

"The sheriff’s office is asking anyone who witnessed any suspicious people, vehicles or activities in the area on Dec. 1 to contact the investigative tip line at 303-239-4243.

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that a potential suspect was armed and dangerous. However, Park County police confirmed to Denver7 that there is no threat to the community based on this case at this time."

*Does LE suspect this was a targeted attack?

Bringing forward again some facts, latest news as I try to wrap my head around all of this:

"The suspected arson broke out at her home and Long's car was found there.

The sheriff's office said a task force of federal, state and local law enforcement agencies has been formed to bring any individual involved in Long's death to justice.

The death is being investigated as a homicide.

All law enforcement resources available will be devoted to bringing this investigation to a successful outcome," Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said."

Body of missing 17-year-old Maggie Long found in burned Park County home
Body of missing 17-year-old Maggie Long found in burned Park County home | FOX31 Denver

Last edited:
Investigators: No suspect in Park County teen's homicide | 9news.com

Hello,

I am the editor of The Fairplay Flume, the weekly paper of record in Park County.

I have been working this story from my end. I monitored the radio traffic of the whole incident coming down, and I kept note of other actions taking place during the next three days.

It's obvious that LE is not releasing much info, that's the game we always play. They know, I have to find out so I can inform the public. I know more about this than the Denver broadcast people know, but I am keeping a lot to myself right now.

It was The Flume that first reported the content of the initial 911 call. That call was made from an attic apartment, above the rear of the house. The apartment sits over the Long's kitchen area and the living room downstairs.

I know who made the call. The person is probably not a suspect, but that person is keeping a low profile, I have not been able to speak to him, although I have leads to other people in his social circle.

There is a number of things that have been said on this thread that is wrong. Mainly because a lot of you are even further removed from local sources. So I would like to help you out with things I can talk about.

This statement from above, "IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated" is partly wrong.

Nothing ever reported that a safe was missing from the house. Here is the body of the BOLO, although there was more at the top of the BOLO and at the end.

"The bolo is going to be for a late model 90s to 2000 light colored mini van, possibly driven by a white male in his 20s. Homicide occurred during an arson and the suspect driver may have some flash burns … as well as gasoline taken from the house, a large case, AK47, 2000 rounds of ammo of 7.62 and a 9mm Beretta. Please advise the subject is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

The item mentioned is "a large case," not a safe.
The BOLO does not mention a "stolen van."
Maggie did not own the guns, this was her parents house, she lived there, the weapons probably belonged to the family.
The BOLO was not meant to be broadcasted to Denver police, it was a bulletin for CIAC. It was a mistake that it went out the way it did.

I have audio of the complete BOLO.

The Long's own at least four businesses in Park County, not two and county records show at least seven properties (some land).

Everything that I have been able to release to the public can be found in these articles ...

Platte Canyon High School student missing after fire in family home
Sheriff’s Office short on information into Maggie Long’s disappearance
High school student Maggie Long’s body identified from house fire, Sheriff’s Office is treating case as a homicide.

To add some confirmation, yes, Maggie's car was on the property. They knew they had a body that night, but CBI had to identify the remains. The fire did not gut the house, it was contained around a kitchen/hallway area and when up into the attic apartment. There is one small hole in the roof, which can be seen in some helicopter shots taken by the Denver (I call them "downhill") broadcast media.

There is one thing I want to point out. Your member "Zchick" has posted some things here and some of what she/he posted jives with info that I have (but not published). I sent her/him a PM with my home phone number, asking her/him to call me, I think together we can help inform the public of what happened. I have had no phone call or an answer to my PM, which is her/his prerogative.

I'm still working my end.There will probably be two articles in the paper next Thursday (remember, we're a weekly), one that concentrates on Maggie and the community and the other with anything I can release about the incident.

Bolo audio here:

Missing: Platte Canyon HS Student Maggie Long

According to the sheriff, it was not meant to be sent.

Investigators: No suspect in Park County teen's homicide | 9news.com

"Denver police scanners broadcast a “be on the lookout” alert – or BOLO – that included a vague description of a white male possible suspect, that the Park County undersheriff said was never meant to be distributed in that way.

“That was not ever intended to go out,” Wohlers said.

Wohlers explained that the information was intended to be reported to the Colorado Information
Analysis Center (CIAC), an office within Homeland Security and Emergency Management, for sharing internally with public safety agencies."

I would think one of the reasons behind this would be the way a BOLO is distributed and who it is sent to it is publicly available but when a report is made to CIAC it is not.

ETA - ONE of the reasons

Celebration of life to be held for teen found in burned Park County home

A celebration of life will be held on Sunday for Maggie Long and will take place in the Canyon Room at Platte Canyon High School at 2 p.m. on Sunday. She was a student at the school.

Celebration of life to be held for teen found in burned Park County home | FOX31 Denver

I keep coming back to this article, where the sheriff discounts the BOLO and basically gives no additional information.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/inv...spect-in-park-county-teens-homicide/498071847

I believe audio of the bolo has already been posted here for anyone to hear.
I have used this site pretty extensively for good information on this case.
Everything has been nicely consolidated.
You can also find the link to the bolo on that page as well.

This is an exerpt from the Fairplay Flume e edition.

Sheriff’s Office short on information into Maggie Long’s disappearance

"PSCO Undersheriff Wohlers posted a comment, Saturday, Dec. 2, on the PSCO Facebook page that stated, “On-scene investigation is wrapped up. Cause and origin of the fire is inconclusive. Suspicious because of where the concentration of the fire is at. Something there is not consistent. Not aware of anything marijuana-related regarding the fire. No suspects. Investigators are looking into any possible involvement with the missing girl. This is a family residence of hers, but possibly not her permanent home. Still no sign of her, no body at the fire scene.”

Why would the Under Sheriff think that this might not be ML's permanant home?

Park County Sheriff’s Office speaks of teen found dead inside burned home | FOX31 Denver

The Park County Sheriff's Office Chaplain, Leo Suazo speaks on camera.

The paper is out. Other than the headline...no new news.
"Conflicting reports and Gag order left community in dark over the death of Maggie Long"
There was nothing in the article that has not already been heard or read on most news stations.
There is a very interesting article from the Canyon Courier that is posted at this link.

The article I reference above is on page 4
You do not have to be a registered user or pay to read it.
Locals in Bailey of course can purchase Walter's paper at most local stores.
Subscribers to the paper will receive their delivery tomorrow at home and the online version Walter referenced will be available on Saturday at the papers website. (I am unclear if it will be on the pay side or free side.)

I believe this is a direct link to the Canyon Courier article mentioned upthread. Assuming this is a legitimate area newspaper - if not mods please delete.

'She will be greatly missed' | CanyonCourier.com

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

This article is the closest thing I can find to a timeline and in my opinion does a good job of summing up the sources of general public frustration with this case... Conflicting reports and gag order left community in dark over the death of Maggie Long

Yes, that is my report for this week's issue.

My staff writer has a companion piece here with reactions from the community.

Maggie Long, a true loss for the community

Justice for Maggie Long

https://m.facebook.com/Justice-for-Maggie-Long-119528162165531/?refid=18&ref=m_notif&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&_ft_=qid.6500195938188062509:mf_story_key.176356762950109:top_level_post_id.176356762950109:tl_objid.176356762950109&__tn__=*s-R

This is the Justice for Maggie Long page.

The comments from the timeline post (December 12) are very interesting. A woman took a screenshot of a conversation with her husband. He texted her at 7:35 that he could see the fire from their front porch.

Another post is about a man who saw the trucks (?) Coming down 43 at 7:20

Updated Timeline of Maggie Long Homicide Investigation. Great work by this website.

Going back to look at the non-information interview given by the spokesman for the sheriff's office last week, one thing did strike me, and it is impossible to know whether this tidbit of information was intentional or not:

Park County Sheriff’s Office speaks of teen found dead inside burned home | FOX31 Denver

“I can assure you that they are working tirelessly to bring those who have done this to justice."

“If we give out too much information, those that are out there that are still at large get information that they don’t need. It’s not to keep it from the community I assure you," Suazo said.

Is he implying that there is more than one perpetrator/suspect?

The "Justice for Maggie Long" FB page is updated pretty often and the comments are interesting.

Justice for Maggie Long

If you look at the pics from the drone video it sure doesn't look like it.

3ec38b07fa7e6271b8ffd4cc57413b54.jpg
d37c8f40b402f748f5085ced56529e15.jpg

Still no arrest in Maggie Long murder

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DNA samples taken from family, associates of teen found dead in home

An article confirming what morgrid27 posted yesterday. This makes me so mad, how could they have said there is no threat to the community when they obviously have no idea who did this?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

press release today

http://www.canyoncourier.com/content/reward-offered-maggie-long-murder-investigation

$15000 reward

Investigators in slain Bailey teen case requesting delay in releasing autopsy report | FOX31 Denver

PARK COUNTY, Colo. — Investigators in the case of a teenage girl from Bailey who was found dead in her burned home are requesting to keep the autopsy report private to protect the investigation.

Park County Sheriff’s Office to Provide Update on Maggie Long Homicide Investigation
(Park County, Colorado—February 6, 2018)—The Park County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO), along with state and federal law enforcement partners, will provide an update on the homicide investigation of 17-year-old Maggie Long from Bailey, Colorado, occurring on December 1, 2017.
The news conference will be held at the Platte Canyon Fire Protection District, Station 2 (153 Delwood Dr., Bailey, CO), beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 7, 2018. Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener, representatives from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will take part in the news conference.

Update expected in death investigation of Maggie Long | 9news.com
"
Investigators held a news conference Wednesday afternoon that revealed the items they say were stolen from Long’s home as well as a plea that the public come out and provide any information they can.The reward for information in the Maggie Long case has been increased to $20,000. Nevertheless, Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said there is no threat to the community, despite the fact a murder suspect is on the loose.Colorado Bureau of Investigation Director John Camper said a large green safe, jade figurines, a Beretta 9mm handgun, an AK-47-type firearm and some ammunition were taken from Long's home the night of the fire."

News conference adds no new information on Maggie Long’s murder

Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:10 pm

5a85f8760b71f.image.jpg

Guns Stolen

5a85f89717ab4.image.jpg

Jade statues and green safe stolen

Photos per Flume article linked above.

Hopefully, when Walter returns on March 3rd he`ll continue to push for updates.

Back on March 6th, LE sat outside the gate of the Long's home and handed these out to passing motorists asking anyone with any info to come forward.

attachment.php

Here's an article with image of suspect and likenesses of the vehicles.

Sheriff releases sketch of person possibly connected to Maggie Long homicide case

Sheriff releases sketch of person possibly connected to Maggie Long homicide case | FOX31 Denver

Right-side up poster for you.View attachment 133911

Nothing terribly groundbreaking here but the investigators comments about people they’ve interviewed not being truthful are interesting IMO.

Apparently, the man in the sketch is also the same person described in the BOLO which isn’t too surprising but interesting in light of Walter’s comments.

Investigators in Maggie Long case say family home was targeted | CanyonCourier.com

The flyer

Earlier this week a 20-year-old woman was set on fire after suspects broke into her home in Johnson County, Missouri, which is southeast of Kansas City. She survived the attack and two men are in custody.

People in Bailey are talking and asking questions because of the similarities of one of the suspects arrested and the sketch of the person of interest in the Park County, Colorado case.
Investigators working on Maggie Long murder interested in similar crime in Missouri

While Jones and Wohlers declined to comment on the details of how Long was killed or the crime scene, Jones confirmed that the individual described in a sketch released by investigators May 4 is the same man described in the December BOLO.

specifically saying that the Long family home was targeted and that Long's murder was not part of a pattern of crimes occurring in neighboring counties or elsewhere.

In an interview with the Courier on Wednesday, Detective Sgt. Greg Jones — Park County’s lead detective on the investigative task force, which includes individuals from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) — said investigators believe the person or people responsible for Long’s death targeted the family's home when it was burglarized and burned Dec. 1, but have yet to narrow the scope of their investigation on a specific suspect or motive.

This article was from May 18th. At that time, they didn't see any similar crimes, but now, there may be a similar crime.

Both Jones and Wohlers said that typical murder investigations yield a suspect and motive fairly quickly, but called the investigation into Long's death complex.

“It's like a football field full of rocks, and the rocks are the tips or clues,” said Jones. “ … In a normal investigation, you turn over a rock, and there's not much there. For this one, there's been something under every rock that has sent us down many paths that have to be completed. The pursuit of those clues has been slowed by a lack of truthfulness from a lot of the participants.”

Though neither elaborated on who was dishonest and what about, Jones said some interviewees lied to protect their own interests instead of helping with the investigation.

Adding to the frustration is a lack of consistency about possible suspects and motive — the possibilities change from week to week.
Investigators in Maggie Long case say family home was targeted | CanyonCourier.com

'Huge' tip moving Maggie Long investigation forward | CanyonCourier.com

The investigation into the Maggie Long murder case is moving forward in a big way based on a tip the task force received about a month ago, according to Park County Detective Sgt. Greg Jones.

“We received a call three or four weeks ago from an individual that thought their information wasn't important, and it was actually huge,” he said in a phone call Thursday. “ … We feel we're making good progress based on that tip that just came in, so I want to re-emphasize that any information is valuable — no matter how small or insignificant you think it is.”

Eta: more info at link. Didn't want to violate the 10% rule

Though Jones declined to specify what the tip was, who it came from or where it has led law enforcement officials, he said the information was something investigators could've used seven months ago.

This comes on the heels of investigators clearing all possible connections to a similar incident in rural Missouri earlier this month after it was established that the suspects weren't in Colorado at the time of Long's murder last December.
'Huge' tip moving Maggie Long investigation forward | CanyonCourier.com

Last edited:
9 News is reporting an update by the Park County Sheriff's office on Monday. Hopefully this will bring us one step closer to justice for Maggie.
Update in Maggie Long homicide investigation scheduled for Monday

Edited to improve spelling.

Still waiting for Park County sherriff’s office to provide updates, but I did discover this website dedicated to the case. Seems like PCSO, CBI, ATF, and FBI have set up a joint task force website...

Maggie Long Task Force – Maggie Long Task Force Tip Site

The reward has been increased to $50,000.

The website, MaggieLongTaskForce.com, has been created for the public to submit information.

The task force created to solve Long’s murder has conducted multiple searches of the house and areas surrounding the property. They also have interviewed hundreds of people and witnesses that didn’t come forward until months after her murder.

New Website, $50,000 Reward In Unsolved Maggie Long Murder

Authorities say Bailey teen Maggie Long was burned alive in 2017; three suspects sought in murder – Greeley Tribune

suspects-in-long-murder-case-colorado.jpg

Sketches released in brutal murder of 17-year-old Maggie Long in Colorado. (Park County Sheriff's Department, via Tribune Media Wire)

$50K reward offered for unsolved 2017 murder of Denver girl who was burned alive in targeted attack | Daily Mail Online
9144234-6645521-image-a-23_1548792157203.jpg

9144232-6645521-image-a-24_1548792160852.jpg

The task force also released the photos above of three vehicles similar to ones seen in the area on the day Long was killed

Colorado teen was ‘purposefully set on fire and burned alive’; 3 suspects sought in 2017 death
A 17-year-old Colorado girl who was found dead inside her home in 2017 was “purposefully set on fire and burned alive,” police said as they hunt for three suspects in hopes of solving the murder more than a year after the teen’s death.

Park County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday new findings in the investigation into Maggie Long’s death and released new sketches of the men who they believe were involved in the house fire, KDVR reported. Long was reported missing in December 2017 after she didn’t show up for a concert at Platte Canyon High School.

Police later found Long’s body inside her home that was set on fire. The scene where her body was discovered was “badly damaged” by the flames and authorities ruled her death a homicide three days later. There were no leads on possible suspects until now.

We are still sharing the sketch of these 2 men, and waiting for a sketch of a 3rd person.

And all together in one:

ada51dcd-128c-4b7d-b6d9-53e747d2c9e3_360x203.jpg

—-

ETA: Just seeing this! :(
““It saddens me greatly to tell you that Maggie was purposely set on fire and burned alive,” McGraw said in January.”

I’m wanting to see arrests in this case so badly!

—-

What are your theories to date?

This news that she was burned alive... says a lot about the perps...what does it say?

One of my first thoughts is Travis Forbes. He was a sexual offender.

And/or perhaps this was very very personal? Sometimes strangers do awful things to strangers too so maybe not.

These guys don’t look very old to me.

Have we researched sexual attacks?

I haven’t followed Maggie’s case very closely.

Bringing this forward:

Sketches / Vehicles – Maggie Long Task Force

—-

Also, this article is on the front and top of page at thedenverchannel.com

Third suspect sketch released in case of Maggie Long’s murder

“Authorities said they believe Long was burned alive inside her family’s home in December 2017. McGraw said they have ruled out hundreds of persons of interest, but identified three possible suspects. He said it’s possible that the suspects could have been injured in the fire, and they may have altered their appearances, sold the involved vehicles and moved since the day of the crime.“

I am about 75% caught up on this horrific case. I still have pages 30-40 to endure. Leading from the initial misdirection by LE (planned or unplanned) to the realization of what this young angel endured.

I keep seeing mention of hot dog buns. Perhaps that documentation is in the section I haven't read through, as of yet.

However, I came upon this description of the 'items', that young Maggie went home to retrieve:

17-Year-Old High School Student Was Purposely Burned Alive, Investigators Say

"On Dec. 1, 2017, Maggie Long was managing the VIP section for a concert at the Platte Canyon High School when she ran home to get more cookies and water for the audience, according to KUSA. She never returned."

BBM

Has LE actually verified any of this information? Have they interviewed witnesses that would have provided this information? I mean, each one seems specific. Each one could be 'right', depending on what they were told by Maggie.

So many questions about everything. Has there been any information released on forensic analysis on phones? Social Media? Any type of profile on what would prompt a murder this horrifying?

They went from one perp, to two perps, and now a third perp. Is that it? There won't be a fourth in the near future?

From the article:

"We believe this was a targeted crime and that there were at least three suspects still at large,” McGraw said, according to KUSA."

This family deserves justice. Maggie deserves justice. I realize that's an understatement.

I wasn't sure if anyone has read the article in the previous link. These are the words that Maggie wrote. I cannot get the link to save, so I made a snip of the caption.

These are the words of a truly enlightened young woman. I believe our Maggie really did have an 'old soul' lurking in her mind.

We have lost so many. The talents they possessed are forever gone. What they would have, could have, and really should have, been able to be. I can only slightly imagine these lost possibilities.

These words truly got to me. That is why I believe, IMHO, they should be shared to our world.

From link:

"Prophetic quote by Maggie, after a loss she suffered:"

View attachment 177782

This post was from 17 DEC 2017. The ending for the article notes that the Memorial was held that day. It states:

"Today would have been Maggie's 18th birthday. Rest in peace beautiful soul, the world is a darker place without your light."

BBM

Yeah, I needed tissues after reading that article.

"The Colorado teen was last seen alive on Dec. 1, 2017. Investigators found her body inside her burned home, and nearly two years later, no one has been arrested. Law enforcement has offered few details as to why this this well-liked high school student was killed days before her 18th birthday.

The story of what happened to Maggie Long is the subject of a new episode of True Crime Chronicles, a podcast from VAULT Studios and Tegna that features a new true-crime story each week.

The episode on Maggie Long features an interview with 9NEWS reporter Noel Brennan and is scheduled to be released on Monday."

There is also a summary of the case and some more links at

Maggie Long | 9NEWS.com

Increase in tips reported in Maggie Long case

SEPTEMBER 23, 2019

"DENVER -- There has been an uptick in the number of tips in the homicide investigation of Maggie Long....

Park County Undersheriff Steve Spodyak says the Maggie Long Task Force has checked out many tips.

A recent surge in calls is now being investigated.

Spodyak is not sure why so many tips have come in at once.

“They seem to go up and down. I guess just like anything else. Sometimes there’s an increase in tips for some reason. Sometimes the tips slow down. But we have continually had tips coming into the tipline," said Spodyak.

Sketches of three people possibly connected to Long’s homicide along with photos of styles of vehicles they may have driving have been released.

Investigators say someone knows something that holds the key to solving her murder...."

Increase in tips reported in Maggie Long case

sketches3.jpg

(Sketches of suspects in the Maggie Long homicide. [Photos: Park Cty. Sheriff's Office])

A fourth person may have been involved in the December 2017 killing of 17-year-old Maggie Long inside her Bailey home, according to a spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

A silhouette of that person was added to the Maggie Long Task Force website, which was created in January of this year to help generate new leads in the case.

"It could be a male or a female, but we believe there is possibly a fourth person that is either involved int he burglary on Dec. 1, 2017, or that might be a key witness that we would like to talk to," said FBI spokeswoman Amy Meyer.

Fourth person may have been involved in Maggie Long's murder

Dec. 1 marked two years since Maggie Long’s murder. A task force continues to work the case, but no arrests have been made and no suspects have been named.

“I listen to a lot of murder podcasts and like true crime stuff and I think that’s – we’re sitting here with you today because this is not a cold case,” Lynna Long said.

For sisters, two years still feels like yesterday.

“Having to deal day to day with not being able to talk to her, know how she’s doing or not being able to follow her on her journey through college or finding herself. That part sucks.” Connie Long said.

The Long family no longer lives in the home off County Road 43. It’s sat empty since that night in December 2017. The family has since left Bailey altogether.

“That time is passed and like her not being around anymore changes how I view Bailey as a place that I grew up because it doesn’t feel like the place I grew up anymore without that presence,” Lynna Long said.

Home lost its feeling, but Lynna and Connie Long find comfort in words their sister left behind.

“This the yearbook from her senior year,” Connie Long said. She opened the yearbook to a page dedicated to Maggie Long.
'This is not a cold case': Maggie Long's sisters not giving up two years after teen's murder

Still no arrest in Maggie Long murder

Reposting this article even though it's an old one because I feel like it has some details I'd forgotten that I think are worth reading again.

The Long's could have been aware of Maggie's death as early as 8.30 that evening. A CARE team was sent to the location around 9.00 that evening. Rsbm
December 1
3:30-3:35pm Maggie leaves school to go home, presumed to arrive around 4pm
(source: Justice for Maggie Long Facebook Page)

~6:30pm A local resident arrives home in Deer Creek Valley Ranchos, recalls afterward seeing no unusual activity at Long Home.

7:01pm 911 call comes into Dispatch.

7:04pm Jeffco Dispatch repeats that Reporting Party (RP) states “People who own the home are violent. However, they are smashing and burning things.” RP is refusing to leave the attic.

~7:05 A local resident arrives home, was almost hit by tan(?) older model vehicle that was going so fast it crossed over into their lane on 43 at/near Long’s Ranch.

7:12pm Platte Canyon Fire stages at 2718 CR 43.

7:14pm Fire told to roll (per The Flume )

7:17pm "43 command, we have a one story frame, fire in the garage"

~7:20pm A local resident arrives home in Deer Creek Valley Ranchos, sees emergency/police behind them on CR 43.

7:21pm Dispatch: mutual aid request from Elk Creek Fire for a Tender

7:23pm Elk Creek Fire requests address clarification

7:24pm Elk Creek Fire arrives

7:27pm line extension & water on fire

7:31pm post on Pinecam by member about husband seeing fire, flames coming out of roof, above trees, and emergency vehicles arriving 

www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222815

7:33pm post in Pinecam Scanner Forum about fire
www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=222816

7:49pm LE has a barricaded room, making entry now

8:00pm Tenant is able to get out of attic apartment

8:13pm CBI requested for numerous starts (fire ignitions)

Sometime between 8:41-8:56pm per Ermine on Websleuths - call for coroner (unconfirmed, not heard on Jeffco Dispatch) 
 www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php...3816947#post13816947
Published by The Flume: www.theflume.com/free_content/article_67...40-2f9528003cb6.html

8:45pm Elk Creek Fire clears scene

8:48 Elk Creek Fire is clearing scene (per Pinecam, link above)

8:52pm Jeffco Dispatch - VA units are staging at Hangman and CR 43

9:05pm Jeffco Dispatch - PCSO Scene is shut down. No contact/no entry with witnesses until LE and investigators arrive on scene. Same transmission - family is on scene or arriving soon together at bottom of driveway. Deputy asks if they should be separated.

9:36 & 9:48pm Lynna Long posts call for help to find her sister Maggie who is missing
www.facebook.com/lynna.long

Here is the actual sound file.

Covering a wide variety of crimes including stories of serial killers and mysterious cold cases, this podcast only offers one episode about Colorado, but we’ll take it. Solving the 2017 murder of 17-year-old high school student Maggie Long is no easy feat. The Bailey teen’s horrific killing will stay with you long after you finish listening.
7 Creepy True Crime Podcasts That Take Place in Colorado

True Crime Chronicles: Maggie Long: Unsolved in Colorado | 15 on Apple Podcasts

View attachment 221048View attachment 221047
"It took me a long time to convince them that life needs to move on," Cheang, a family friend, told Denver7.

The broker/owner at All Pro Realty, sold the home to the Longs in 2001.

"It was their dream home," he said. "Maggie grew up here."

"They worked hard. They worked in the restaurant all their lives and they built everything from scratch," he said. "They are a beautiful family. It is such a tragedy that happened."

On Friday, Cheang gave Denver7 a tour of the property.
He said he has received several phone calls from people wanting to check it out, but not all of them were really interested in buying. Cheang said his rule is that anyone who wants a showing has to prove they are capable of purchasing the property. "I want the next property owner to truly enjoy what this property can offer," he said.

He said his work will be complete once the closing takes place and once the suspects who killed Maggie are behind bars.
Maggie Long's family to sell Park County home

Dec 1 2020
Maggie Long murder case: Reward increased to $75,000 | 9news.com
''BAILEY, Colo. — It's been three years since 17-year-old Maggie Long was killed inside her Bailey home, and the family has now increased the reward to $75,000 in hopes of generating new leads.

The previous reward was $50,0000.''

''Investigators said they believe at least three men, and possibly a fourth suspect, were involved in a break-in. They stole jade figurines, a green safe, a 9 mm pistol, an AK-47-style rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammunition, investigators said. The men then set a fire that damaged the home along County Road 43 and burned Long alive, according to investigators.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back