CO CO - Paul, 38, & Sarah Skiba, 9, co-worker Lorenzo Chivers, 36, Grandy, 7 Feb 1999

I recently moved to the Denver area and was doing research on cold cases in the area. This one struck me in particular for a few reasons. It is so frustrating to reflect on everything and not understand why there aren't more answers. If Thomas Donovan is sentenced, is it possible he may be more open to being questioned again in regard to this given his current circumstances and sentence? I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that, but just a thought.

Keeping good thoughts to those affected by this.

I recently moved to the Denver area and was doing research on cold cases in the area. This one struck me in particular for a few reasons. It is so frustrating to reflect on everything and not understand why there aren't more answers. If Thomas Donovan is sentenced, is it possible he may be more open to being questioned again in regard to this given his current circumstances and sentence? I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that, but just a thought.

I have read over a thousand True Crime stories. This is the most heartbreaking and disconcerting one I have ever read.

Not sure what you mean about Thomas Donovan being sentenced. He was sentenced to 28 years for trying to kill his mother in 2011. Hopefully he tell authorities where the bodies are before dies in prison.

A little closure to report on this case. In 2011, Tom Donovan was sentence to 28 years for stabbing his mother. This also leaves very little doubt that he was the gunman.

Arvada man, Thomas Donovan, sentenced to 28 years in prison for repeatedly stabbing his mother
In what way does that article leave little doubt that Donovan was the gunman in the Skiba-Chivers case? I see no connections in terms of MO.

If he was the gunman, then Theresa must have put him up to it. But what's to say that she didn't pull the trigger herself? Or maybe she paid Chivers to kill Paul and Sarah but then double crossed him.

Last edited:
In what way does that article leave little doubt that Donovan was the gunman in the Skiba-Chivers case? I see no connections in terms of MO.

It takes an especially mentally man to attempt to kill his mother. I would say the same thing about someone who would kill a 9 year girl.

The motives are also parallel. Thomas Dovovan blamed his mother for kicking him out of the house and making him homeless. Paul Skiba had fired him and he was not allowed in his house.

Sarah Skiba, Paul Skiba and Lorenzo Chivers went missing 20 years ago.

It’s been 20 years this month since three people — a 9-year-old girl, her dad, and a man who worked for him — disappeared. Westminster investigators believe the trio were murdered and their bodies hidden.

The investigation remains active, with police hoping someone will come forward with information that leads to a breakthrough and closure for the families of the victims, according to a news release.
---
Detectives, including a new team who within the last five years was assigned to a “start from scratch” investigation, continue to resubmit DNA evidence in the case.

“These detectives were able to identify and interview two additional witnesses, who provided information,” the release said.
---
Anyone with information on the cold case is asked to call Westminster police at 303-658-4360. Tips can be made anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867 (STOP). A $4,000 reward is offered.

Westminster police seek leads in 1999 cold case triple-murder

Witnesses said that they heard a woman scream by the everning or night of February 7th 1999. Could it had been their killer?

Witnesses said that they heard a woman scream by the everning or night of February 7th 1999. Could it had been their killer?

Yes. I’m willing to bet it was Teresa. Paul was kicking her out of his house that day.

I have read over a thousand True Crime stories. This is the most heartbreaking and disconcerting one I have ever read.

Not sure what you mean about Thomas Donovan being sentenced. He was sentenced to 28 years for trying to kill his mother in 2011. Hopefully he tell authorities where the bodies are before dies in prison.

Unfortunately, he will be eligible for parole in 2023 according to the DOC.

A little closure to report on this case. In 2011, Tom Donovan was sentence to 28 years for stabbing his mother. This also leaves very little doubt that he was the gunman.

Arvada man, Thomas Donovan, sentenced to 28 years in prison for repeatedly stabbing his mother

wow! I did not know that. Interesting!
I’m pretty sure it was Theresa who instigated it all. She might have not been the mastermind, but she could have been the initiator. I’m surprised that no valuable evidence has been recovered to make an arrest and a conviction.
I often wonder about the motive. If it was all against Paul, then why kill Sarah and Lorenzo along with Paul? Was it just wrong-place-wrong-time kind of scenario? I don’t think the ambush was random or unplanned.

1*UD1Uz9L2T-iT-ytdLQs1YA.png

The Missing: Sarah Skiba; Paul Skiba; Lorenzo Chivers. Crime Stoppers

Paul Skiba owned a successful moving business called Tuff Moving, which was located at 7010 Raleigh Street in Westminster. On this day, Sarah was spending time with her dad at work as this was her weekend to visit him. Paul and Sarah’s mother were separated. The couple had shared custody and the little girl would spend every other weekend with her dad, as per their custody arrangement.

Lorenzo Chivers, one of five employees hired by Paul, was along for the ride that day. Chivers had a son and daughter of his own who weren’t much older than Sarah.

The trio started their day at Tuff’s around 8:30 a.m. that morning, stopped for their first moving job in Thornton at 10:30 a.m., then took a break to have lunch in Lakewood around 12:50 p.m.

After lunch, they headed to Morrison for their second moving job of the day, then back to the Tuff Moving yard. They arrived at the yard around 6:15 p.m. where Sarah placed a phone call at 6:22 p.m. to a 12-year-old acquaintance of hers and told her that they were going to return the truck, then they would head home.

She was never heard from again.
More at link:

This week on Cold and Missing Ali and Eli look into the case of 3 people who went missing on Feb. 7th, 1999: Paul Skiba, Sarah Skiba, and Lorenzo Chivers. Paul owned Tuff Movers in Westminster, Colorado where Lorenzo was also employed. It was Paul’s weekend with his daughter, Sarah, so when he had to cover for an employee unexpectedly on Sunday, February 7th that would mean that Sarah would also tag along for the day. Paul, Sarah, and Lorenzo were all last seen at the final moving job of the day but none of them returned home that night. It will take days of family and friends begging and arguing with police for them to investigate. After police begrudgingly start investigating it is uncovered that a large amount of blood was spilled at Tuff Movers and Paul, Sarah, and Lorenzo are presumed dead. Join us as we go through the timeline of events in this shocking case.

If you know anything about the disappearance or the current whereabouts of Paul Skiba, Sarah Skiba, or Lorenzo Chivers please call the Westminster police at 303-658-4360 or to remain anonymous call crime stoppers at 720-913-7867

The article mentioned in this weeks episode to learn more about this weeks episode to learn more about this case: A Cold Case Frozen in Time

The CBI, Westminster Police Department, and Thornton Police Department are working to solve a triple murder that happened 24 years ago.

Detectives started looking into the suspicious disappearance of Sarah Skiba, 9, her father Paul Skiba, and Lorenzo Chivers in February of 1999.

Chivers was an employee of Paul’s moving company and storage facility, which was located near Raleigh Street and 70th Avenue in Westminster.

Investigators said they found physical evidence at the moving and storage facility, as well as in or on two moving trucks owned by the business.

There was also blood found at the facility, which was identified with DNA to be from both Paul and Sarah.

During the investigation, detectives said forensic evidence indicated Sarah, Paul, and Chivers were likely murdered near 72nd Avenue and Raleigh Street in Westminster on Feb. 7, 1999.

The CBI said that on Feb. 17, a vehicle that belonged to Chivers was located several blocks away from the moving and storage facility at an apartment complex parking lot near 68th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard in Westminster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back