Cross-Dressing Elementary School Event Draws Criticism

Some people have no sense of humor, wearing a skirt for laughs isn't going to turn a straight guy into a drag queen. Sheesh!

Exactly how does a senior citizen dress? I know some older people that got it going on and dress fabulous. Cross dressing? Who gets to say exactly what that is? Unisex. The thing that used to get me about these wackadoodle days is you had to pay. It was a way to raise money. Yo, we had uniforms so we'd do anything to not have to wear them for a day including the big payoff.

Apparently, some ultra-religious organization gets to say. And yes, I know somebody will go up one side of my butt and down the other if I don't clarify that. I'm not talking about your average Christian who really doesn't give a rat's furry backside about this issue. I'm talking about people would launch a phone campaign to express their outrage over something that is, frankly, not even an issue. If I haven't clarified enough, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

We paid something like $1 or $2 to participate too, but the money went to charity. No uniforms, we just paid to wear our jammies to school or our bed sheets (toga day) and the money always went to a good cause like Children's Hospital or the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, so we thought it was money well spent. Plus seeing the captain of the football team in his sister's prom dress with *advertiser censored* that would put Dolly Parton to shame was, well, priceless. Hell, our football team had a contest during homecoming called the ugliest homecoming queen. They all dressed up like girls (their idea) and the students paid 50 cents to vote for the worst looking one. We raised a ton of money for charity that year. It was fun and harmless and to the best of my knowledge, the only thing any of them got out of it was a deeper understanding of why high heels of the creation of satan or at least a minor minion.

My kids would never have been caught dead dressing like a girl anyway. As I said though, there's so many men who would never stand for it, I doubt they'll ever do that around here, at least not in elementary school. The kids past first grade don't even really participate much in the silly dress themes either except a few girls on sock hop day.

Eire, I can hear SNL's Church Lady saying "SaTAN" now after reading your comment. :) (Not me, my panties are fine, thank you very much.)

Exactly how does a senior citizen dress? I know some older people that got it going on and dress fabulous. Cross dressing? Who gets to say exactly what that is? Unisex. The thing that used to get me about these wackadoodle days is you had to pay. It was a way to raise money. Yo, we had uniforms so we'd do anything to not have to wear them for a day including the big payoff.

Knee high tan support socks rolled down with a flowery dress, slip hanging out the bottom and the blue hair dye? I was just describing my neighbor on a daily basis :slap: she is sweet so I shouldnt pick on her.

Like this:
(SC)Robin_Williams_Photo.jpg

Imo, it's harmless. I will admit tho that takes place here in high school more than elementary school. The high school here also do it for spirit week. And the guys go all out...the football team and the basketball team dress in prom dresses and hills...it's really funny.

The girls dress as guys, football uniforms, baseball,wrestlers and some have dressed like teachers as the school.

TO THOSE THAT OPPOSE--
Do you all think that little telli tubby thing that carries a purse is sending kids a homosexual message too?:rolleyes:

Imo, it's harmless. I will admit tho that takes place here in high school more than elementary school. The high school here also do it for spirit week. And the guys go all out...the football team and the basketball team dress in prom dresses and hills...it's really funny.

The girls dress as guys, football uniforms, baseball,wrestlers and some have dressed like teachers as the school.

TO THOSE THAT OPPOSE--
Do you all think that little telli tubby thing that carries a purse is sending kids a homosexual message too?:rolleyes:

LOL, we couldn't stand that show so I couldn't tell you. You mean they were male and female blobs?

lol Taximom,
I hated that show too and thankfully my kids were teens when it first aired. I didn't hate it because of a gay fear, I just thought it was weird.

Seriously,I don't know if the blobs were male or female but some tele-evangelist started a protest of the show because one of the tubbi's carried a handbag.
I don't think there was any 'become gay' message because of the purse carrying. :p

lol Taximom,
I hated that show too and thankfully my kids were teens when it first aired. I didn't hate it because of a gay fear, I just thought it was weird.

Seriously,I don't know if the blobs were male or female but some tele-evangelist started a protest of the show because one of the tubbi's carried a handbag.
I don't think there was any 'become gay' message because of the purse carrying. :p

I thought the fuss was about the purple one's triangle thingy on his head was a symbol of the gay-rights movement or something like that (I think I was in high school/college then, but we did think it funny enough to pay attention to such a fuss over something so stupid)? My kids won't watch it -- they just lose interest in it after about 10 seconds.

Call me an old fogie (fogey?) then because I think school is for learning not playing dressup. I wouldn't make a big stink about it if my children's school did it, but my son would not be going to school dressed like a girl.

And curious1, not everyone that is <insert faith here> can afford parochial schools. That does not mean we have to put up with everything that goes on in a public school environment.

Thank God (heh) our PS sticks to silly things like "weird hair day" and "wacky hats", etc.

I grew up in a small town, less than 100,000 at the time, and if you cold not afford to send your kid to the local baptist church school the church it was affiliated with would sponser you. Don't see why the would not do that over 20 years later. There were at least 5 of the church schools in town.

I think there is a huge overreaction to this. Everything has to be so politically correct now. When I was growing up, every boy in my school carried a pocket knife. In high school some who were hunters had their hunting gun in their pickup. Now if a student even has a plastic knife or gun they can be arrested, or even drawing a picture of a gun. We thought nothing of a teacher putting a hand on your shoulder, but now a child can't be touched. We had dress up days and sometimes it was ridiculous how silly it was. But it made it fun to have a little break from the hard work. When I am working hard at something, I still take a little break from time to time and do something fun, then get back to my task. I remember some boys once dressing in girl's clothes and doing a dance on one of the dress-up days. It was funny and we all laughed. It didn't turn one of them gay. None of the boys with play guns and real knives grew up to hurt anyone as far as I know. We are going way overboard as far as I am concerned. I know times are different now. If someone shows up with a real gun or a knife threatening anyone, certainly they should be arrested, but to be so hard on kids who are drawing pictures, have a plastic knife to cut a sandwich, or just dressing up for a day and having a good time is ridiculous. Let them use their imagination and have some fun. Do we want them to be zombies marching in a straight line, looking straight ahead, afraid to touch or do something someone might not approve of?

We called it Spirit Week at my school. Everyday we were given the option of dressing up as something different. The pictures from that week were always everyone's favorite in the yearbook. It did not take away from learning. It actually helped because it made school fun and interesting.

It's called the same thing at my dd's school. The kids aren't forced to participate if they don't want. Dd only dressed up on Western Day this year unlike the previous years.

Some people really will get their panties in a bunch over everything. We had this when I was in school, it was fun but not mandatory and it didn't take away from our education at all. There are real issues in our schools people should be complaining about, this IMHO is not one of them.

Ditto.

I think we we had 'spirit week' in jr and sr high it was just after exams and right before a game with a big rival. It was fun to 'let your hair down' after exams. I do have to say I am not sure why they are doing this in elementary, seriously what do they have to be stressed about to 'let their hair down'? :waitasec: :)

I think there is a huge overreaction to this. Everything has to be so politically correct now. When I was growing up, every boy in my school carried a pocket knife. In high school some who were hunters had their hunting gun in their pickup. Now if a student even has a plastic knife or gun they can be arrested, or even drawing a picture of a gun. We thought nothing of a teacher putting a hand on your shoulder, but now a child can't be touched. We had dress up days and sometimes it was ridiculous how silly it was. But it made it fun to have a little break from the hard work. When I am working hard at something, I still take a little break from time to time and do something fun, then get back to my task. I remember some boys once dressing in girl's clothes and doing a dance on one of the dress-up days. It was funny and we all laughed. It didn't turn one of them gay. None of the boys with play guns and real knives grew up to hurt anyone as far as I know. We are going way overboard as far as I am concerned. I know times are different now. If someone shows up with a real gun or a knife threatening anyone, certainly they should be arrested, but to be so hard on kids who are drawing pictures, have a plastic knife to cut a sandwich, or just dressing up for a day and having a good time is ridiculous. Let them use their imagination and have some fun. Do we want them to be zombies marching in a straight line, looking straight ahead, afraid to touch or do something someone might not approve of?

Ditto.
Remember the song "Glory Glory Haliluja, teacher hit me with the ruler, met her at the door with a loaded 44 and she ain't my teacher no more?"

We used to gleefully sing that song and never, ever did it cross our minds a teacher would ever actually be shot. Ever. And we all had knives or guns in gunracks - knives were just cool to have in your pocket and came in handy sometimes. It wasn't a big deal.

To the person who said her kids were alternative lifestyle dressers since toddlerhood - mine too. I don't like frilly girly clothes and wanted my daughter to have bright colors, dalmations and firetrucks - not itchy lace and pastel pinks. She was dressed as a boy from the start.

I am wearing hiking boots, jeans and a t shirt today and don't own a dress. It must be due to the wacky dress up day at school when I was younger.

Knee high tan support socks rolled down with a flowery dress, slip hanging out the bottom and the blue hair dye? I was just describing my neighbor on a daily basis :slap: she is sweet so I shouldnt pick on her.

Gotta know. How old is your neighbor?

They aren't promoting anything, they just want the kids to have a little fun. This sort of thing bugs the heck out of me. When my son was little (he's nine now), he would dress up in his female cousin's skirts and dresses (for play). He also asked me to paint his fingernails, which I did. I got SO much flack for that. What??? Why??? Will that 'turn him' gay???? Now he's your stereotypical boy - into sports and girls.

Why can't kids just be kids? When they're young like that, they aren't thinking about transgender or gay or anything else. They're thinking, "This is different and funny!"

BTW, transgender is a MENTAL ILLNESS, of which people should seek treatment. Being gay isn't a choice, you are BORN that way (I am certainly not saying it's a mental illness either). You can't TURN someone transgender or gay or anything else by allowing them dress up as the opposite sex for eight hours out of one day.

Good Lord.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname