GUILTY GA - Officer Elmer 'Buddy' Christian, 34, fatally shot, Athens, 22 March 2011

Hood is talking as they're arresting him. Can't hear him, though - I wonder if the news reporter can and will report it.

Another snippet from earlier:

I think the correct spelling is "Riden", not "Rider". And I think those children held as hostages were my friend's nephew and niece. I can't post much more right now since I believe it's a private FB page... Hope this is okay.

rumor has it that when he was placed on the ground a bunch of ants were crawling on him, you see the swat team brushing him off at one point. I just hope they were the kind of ants that sting like crazy.

OT: Sorry to post so much in a row. This case has really gotten to me since I found out that I know a couple of people close to the situation. And because of that - and because I can see the more personal side of the alleged perp - my heart is broken. Broken for those children I knew, broken for the child Jamie Hood once was (I did not know him), broken for the families of the victims.

I got involved in the career path that I did because I wanted to be able to help children who were 'at risk'. When in Athens, I was involved in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America. A Girl Scout leader to a group of minority girls who were rejected from the more 'established' troops (yes, racism is alive and well in Georgia). I worked at a school with many children from housing projects and who would come to school talking about hearing gunshots the night before and being scared and not being able to sleep.

So when I see someone like this man who commits such a crime (and other crimes apparently) - and I see the people I know who are wonderful people, who are supporting him, then I know that he has some good in him somewhere. So where did he go wrong? What could have made a difference? Where is society failing these 'at risk' kids?

I do believe that some people are born 'bad seeds' and no matter how wonderful of an environment they are raised in, they are not going to turn out well. I also believe that there are some people that are born regular ol' people with good hearts - like most people - but then have some bad breaks along the way and get pulled in the wrong direction. Those are the children I have worked so hard with and wanted so badly to help.

I always wondered if I would someday see the name of a child I worked with in the news. So far, I haven't. And I hope I never do. This situation on this thread is about as close as it has come. But it takes me back to that time that I was there in Athens, working with those children.

Okay - I think I'm off my soapbox. Thanks for letting me vent... Prayers to all of those involved.

Such sad and scary things happening and I notice when I hear the state of Georgia because my daughter and her children live there. My daughter works in a hospital there. I am glad this was not in the part of the state she lives in. The terrible violence in the world and in our country--even our local neighborhoods saddens me and also baffles me. When I was growing up WAY back when, we rarely heard of such violence and crime. A few notorious cases but not like what we are seeing and hearing about now. It seems like society as a whole has such a tremendously increased amount of frustration and anger resulting in violence from 50 or more years ago. And there was very little gun violence, locally at least, when I was a child and teen.

Belimom,

Many of those children will never forget you or the lessons you taught them and the fun that they had.

I am sure you provided a safe haven and a chance for them to be "just children" doing what children do.

I assure you, your time with them meant more to them than you will ever know.

(((Belimom)))

rumor has it that when he was placed on the ground a bunch of ants were crawling on him, you see the swat team brushing him off at one point. I just hope they were the kind of ants that sting like crazy.

That's the least he deserves since the outcome wasn't as I thought it would be. Now I can only hope Officer Christian receives the justice he deserves. MOO

Oh boy. This is sounding worse and worse... I think I may be jumping off my 'he's also a good guy who made a bad split-second decision' wagon. I have tougher skin on this case now...

Hood also suspect in killing of A-C worker

The man charged with killing an Athens-Clarke police officer and wounding another last week also is suspected in the murder of a county employee three months ago, a top Athens-Clarke police official confirmed Saturday.

More at http://onlineathens.com/stories/032711/new_806071185.shtml

Where is society failing these 'at risk' kids?

Society isn't "failing them" their genes and their parents are. You raise two children that are cop killers? That is not statistically random. The brother that was shot by police tried to kill a cop and his gun jammed, cop killed him instead. Second brother did manage to kill a cop and wound another and now he will sit in prison for the rest of his life and get 3 hots and a cot on my tax dollars (no way will this guy ever get executed, too many "political" issues involved).

Most murderers have a "good side" and most victims (except children and those killed randomly) have a "not good side". It is about behavior and the risk to other humans. It is about crossing boundary lines that will get you killed (or in his case get you locked up with cable tv for the rest of your life). I am surprised you live in the South, makes me wonder if you are from here.

If a criminal breaks into your house at 3 am when you and your loved ones are sleeping are you going to ponder whether he is a good person, whether his mother loves him, what kind of childhood he had, whether he really needs some stolen goods in order to feed his starving children? Or are you going to recognize a boundary has been crossed and you have to deal with a threat before the story ends up on here?

(PS the police are now investigating the "hostages" one of which claimed "he treated us like family!").

Society isn't "failing them" their genes and their parents are. You raise two children that are cop killers? That is not statistically random. The brother that was shot by police tried to kill a cop and his gun jammed, cop killed him instead. Second brother did manage to kill a cop and wound another and now he will sit in prison for the rest of his life and get 3 hots and a cot on my tax dollars (no way will this guy ever get executed, too many "political" issues involved).

Most murderers have a "good side" and most victims (except children and those killed randomly) have a "not good side". It is about behavior and the risk to other humans. It is about crossing boundary lines that will get you killed (or in his case get you locked up with cable tv for the rest of your life). I am surprised you live in the South, makes me wonder if you are from here.

If a criminal breaks into your house at 3 am when you and your loved ones are sleeping are you going to ponder whether he is a good person, whether his mother loves him, what kind of childhood he had? Or are you going to recgnize a boundary has been crossed and you have to deal with a threat?

bbm

I think we had a misunderstanding... I am not saying a criminal shouldn't be punished, or worse if they break into someone's home and lives are at stake.

By society, I mean everyone - including parents. If the parents fail their children, I do believe that society as a whole should step in somehow - the 'it takes a village' mentality. It's just the humane thing to do, as well as preventing future criminals -- and keeping society safer down the road as well as not creating another tax burden in the prison system but hopefully helping produce functioning citizens who contribute to society in a positive way.

Having worked with not only those kids in Athens but also inner-city kids in DC and other areas, there are some families that try very hard. Some are single-parent families but others are two-parent families who worry every day about their children getting into trouble. It has a lot to do with the neighborhoods that they can't afford to move out of - and the trouble lurking on the street corners. I've worked with teenage gang members with tattoos on their wrists for every person they killed - and it made my stomach churn to sit there and work with them. I've worked closely with their families and know that some have tried very hard.

Again, I am not saying criminals shouldn't be punished, in particular - murderers. I just wish there was a way to stop them before they get to that point.

Best,
Beli

'it takes a village' mentality.

Having worked with not only those kids in Athens but also inner-city kids in DC and other areas, there are some families that try very hard. Some are single-parent families but others are two-parent families who worry every day about their children getting into trouble.

I don't think it takes a village, I think it takes decent parents. Sorry if that is cold, but it is my nature and that mindset is catching on.

The same parents that say they worry about their kids getting into trouble will fight anyone that says their child was unruly (teacher complains, they will defend their child's behavior). In the old days if a family raised violent offspring that threatened the community they could quite possibly be run out of town, it wasn't "he was getting his life back on track, he had a girlfriend and he was working on his GED, not sure why he went and robbed/killed that guy". It wasn't like that at all, the whole family was scared and would suffer some sort of consequence. It was about teaching the young children to behave, as people couldn't afford to breed killer offspring and stay in the community.

Neither the government nor the "community" can raise decent children, it is the responsibility of the parents/family. At no time in human history did the government or the community "raise" children to become good citizens, it has never happened and it never will. It is up to the family to raise decent offspring.

I do know different people feel differently, and I'm not trying to get into a debate and take away from this thread, so I'll say this and then back off... I have worked in schools with parents and teachers who agree about a child's behavior. Not all parents take up for their kids - and they are not all on food stamps. They are hard-working people, some holding down two jobs to make ends meet. (ETA: ...deleted...)

Going back to the focus of the thread, the more I read, the more I wonder if there aren't more crimes out there associated with Hood?

(ETA: I see you deleted the part about the food stamps...)

Going back to the focus of the thread, the more I read, the more I wonder if there aren't more crimes out there associated with Hood?

Yes deleted the bit about food stamps because while it is against the TOC for users to make comments about moderation, moderators can and will call out individual users on the forum and threaten to moderate if they find the comments to be un-pc (users keep moderation comments private, moderaters can chastise users in public). One way street really, even if no rules were broken.

Regardless yes, this killer was arrested and sent to prison for 12 years for armed robbery. I am sure he has likely killed others before this incident, however those crimes went unnoticed and everyone was giving him the benefit of the doubt. He is in his 30's, this behavior is not likely new and killing a cop is pretty darn bold, well actually shooting up two cops. Not a newbie. Armed robbery is pretty serious, too bad the victim didn't finish the situation right then.

Yes deleted the bit about food stamps because while it is against the TOC for users to make comments about moderation, moderators can and will call out individual users on the forum and threaten to moderate if they find the comments to be un-pc (users keep moderation comments private, moderaters can chastise users in public). One way street really, even if no rules were broken.

...snip...

Sonya - I'm going to modify my post where I mentioned your modified post. You deleted it so I shouldn't have brought it up again. My apologies...

Beli

Sonya - I'm going to modify my post where I mentioned your modified post. You deleted it so I shouldn't have brought it up again. My apologies...

Beli

No reason to apologize. I posted it, no reason for worry.

Just watch yourself, you may deal with people that seem so nice and smile and express emotion, but don't kid yourself. Don't be fooled by the smiling "can you help me ma'am and I appreciate your assistance" attitude, there is a very cold sided nature to many.

Remember Ted Bundy...he wore a cast on his arm to lure his victims. Some see kindness as weaknes and yes they can sound very charming and very humane. Weigh risk to benefit, that is what they see, that is what they see when they see you.

No reason to apologize. I posted it, no reason for worry.

Just watch yourself, you may deal with people that seem so nice and smile and express emotion, but don't kid yourself. Don't be fooled by the smiling "can you help me ma'am and I appreciate your assistance" attitude, there is a very cold sided nature to many.

Remember Ted Bundy...he wore a cast on his arm to lure his victims. Some see kindness as weaknes and yes they can sound very charming.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am well aware of those people - and have learned the hard way over the years. I've been in the field now for a couple of decades. I really don't feel for the adults committing the crimes - but I feel for the children these adults once were. And I wonder what happened?

As far as the nature-nurture debate, I believe it's a combination of both and that there is hope for some kids in at-risk homes whose 'nature' isn't as far over on the end of the scale as some people, while for others, there sadly just is not much of a chance that they can be helped.

I really don't feel for the adults committing the crimes - but I feel for the children these adults once were. And I wonder what happened?

They were born different (well different is a relative term). I know because I was, a chip missing in head and a lack of empathy towards most humans. Fortunately my parents were decent folk and among decent folk the odd chip missing in the brood doesn't cause an issue if you know what I mean. They can raise children to be responsible and decent even if the children can't really empathize with other humans.

Add in nature, gender, low inhibition and no concept of "bad consequences" and you have well....the problems in our modern society.

I do understand what you feel though; I feel it for animals just as you do for children. I want to save and nurture every single one of them, fortunately they rarely ever in fact virtually never turn into killers or bite the hand that feeds them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back