Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Link, please, that the bullet that killed HH & injured JS was the result of a "misfire."

jmho ymmv lrr
Yes it is correct to make that distinction. Citing from the NBC article, the statement in it is that the ‘prop’ gun used in the fatal shooting “had misfired before on the set,”.

From that I infer the statement refers to a prior occurrence on the set. And it is not referring to its handling or use in the events that led to the fatal event. MOO

The journalists are using the term "misfire" because the general public would not be familiar with the term, "hangfire" which is far more dangerous and is likely what happened in this case.
JMO

From your link:
Any time the hammer or firing pin falls and the gun fails to fire, a hangfire should be assumed.

The firearm should not be opened or unloaded, but should be kept pointing in a safe direction for 60 seconds with a modern cartridge—and two minutes for a muzzleloader. This is sufficient time for any hangfire to complete ignition. If one minute passes and the gun does not discharge, the situation is actually a misfire.
I haven't heard any reports that there was a hangfire when AB shot the victims.

It it did that means he pointed the gun at them, the hammer dropped, the gun didn't immediately fire and he didn't move the gun into a safe direction.

That doesn't help AB's case in my opinion. JMO.

Yes it is correct to make that distinction. Citing from the NBC article, the statement in it is that the ‘prop’ gun used in the fatal shooting “had misfired before on the set,”.

From that I infer the statement refers to a prior occurrence on the set. And it is not referring to its handling or use in the events that led to the fatal event. MOO
If the gun hadn't misfired when AB was using it, why did the prosecutor believe the hammer may have been modified?

JMO

The hammer of the gun actor Alec Baldwin was holding when it fired a live round killing "Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins may have been intentionally modified, New Mexico special prosecutors said in a court filing this week.

The comments came a month after prosecutors dropped a criminal charge against Baldwin over Hutchins' death in 2021, citing new evidence. A source close to the case at the time said the evidence concerned modifications to the reproduction long Colt .45 revolver Baldwin was using.

AB's job was to follow the cinematographer's instructions in a rehearsal for camera angles, which is why the SAG-AFTRA is supporting him.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that AB was pointing the gun at any one person. The term "misfire" means the gun wasn't functioning properly and, in this case, the misfire injured two people and one of them died.

JMO

The prop gun used in the fatal shooting of the cinematographer of the movie Alec Baldwin was producing had misfired before on the set, sources familiar with the situation told NBC News Friday.

Just a few hours before Baldwin fired the shot that killed the highly regarded cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and also wounded the director, Joel Souza, several members of the crew walked off the set of “Rust” because of safety concerns, the sources said.
It's obvious where the idea that he was pointing the gun at someone comes from. He shot and killed someone so it must by definition, have been pointing at the person!

The term "misfire" has been wrongly used by almost everyone from the start of the this story. "Misfire" means a failure to fire; not unintentional firing; not accidental firing; not a faulty gun. Just a failure to discharge when you want it to.

We are going back over old ground here. That gun was brand new and in perfect working order. There was no fault with it. It is a very simple mechanical device which has no reputation for unintentionally discharging or being particularly difficult to use during its 150+ years of service.

The gun was pointed toward the CAMERA. The victims were the Director of photography and another Director.

When a gun misfires, it means the gun isn't under control. I have no reason not to believe the many media reports about the gun misfires on that movie set.

JMO
That is simply not true. The word has been misappropriated by the press and used incorrectly.

There were no reported misfires by the media. They have reported a couple of alleged accidental/negligent discharges of blanks by actors but not misfires.

And the gun was pointing towards PEOPLE! If it were not then two people would not have been shot.

The journalists are using the term "misfire" because the general public would not be familiar with the term, "hangfire" which is far more dangerous and is likely what happened in this case.
JMO

From your link:
Any time the hammer or firing pin falls and the gun fails to fire, a hangfire should be assumed.

The firearm should not be opened or unloaded, but should be kept pointing in a safe direction for 60 seconds with a modern cartridge—and two minutes for a muzzleloader. This is sufficient time for any hangfire to complete ignition. If one minute passes and the gun does not discharge, the situation is actually a misfire.
What???? Where, in anyone's account do they describe a hangfire? Can you please provide a link to anyone claiming that?

The media is using "misfire" because they don't know what it actually means and can't be bothered to look it up. Also, people who are trying to play down what actually happened I suspect don't want to use the term "accidental" discharge because that will inevitably lead to the use of that phrase being replaced with its proper term "negligent discharge".

I'm not sure that she was ever accused of bringing drugs onto the movie set, let alone it being proved.
Yes, she was accused and wasn't convicted on that charge. In fact, the prosecutor has said she won't use HGR as a witness against AB because she lacks credibility due to her recklessness and significant drug use.

JMO

If the gun hadn't misfired when AB was using it, why did the prosecutor believe the hammer may have been modified?

JMO

The hammer of the gun actor Alec Baldwin was holding when it fired a live round killing "Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins may have been intentionally modified, New Mexico special prosecutors said in a court filing this week.

The comments came a month after prosecutors dropped a criminal charge against Baldwin over Hutchins' death in 2021, citing new evidence. A source close to the case at the time said the evidence concerned modifications to the reproduction long Colt .45 revolver Baldwin was using.
Hello and thank you. I simply was referring to the posted information and the article citation. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the prosecutor’s intentions nor details of their cases, and would not be able to speak for them. I am also not a qualified munitions or firearms expert. MOO

Hello and thank you. I simply was referring to the posted information and the article citation. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the prosecutor’s intentions nor details of their cases, and would not be able to speak for them. I am also not a qualified munitions or firearms expert. MOO
I think the special prosecutor indicted a ham sandwich when she went after AB the second time and his defense will hand it right back to her on a silver platter.

JMO

I'm not sure that she was ever accused of bringing drugs onto the movie set, let alone it being proved.

She was charged with Tampering With Evidence and I can't believe the judge didn't throw it out.

"Gutierrez Reed transferred narcotics to another person with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself."

A witness assumed the white substance in a small bag that HGR handed her was cocaine and then the witness threw it out and it was never tested.

Her attorney said:

“It is shocking that after 20 months of investigation the special prosecutor now throws in a completely new charge against Ms. Gutierrez Reed with no prior notice or any witness statements, lab reports, or evidence to support it."

She was charged with Tampering With Evidence and I can't believe the judge didn't throw it out.

"Gutierrez Reed transferred narcotics to another person with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself."

A witness assumed the white substance in a small bag that HGR handed her was cocaine and then the witness threw it out and it was never tested.

Her attorney said:

“It is shocking that after 20 months of investigation the special prosecutor now throws in a completely new charge against Ms. Gutierrez Reed with no prior notice or any witness statements, lab reports, or evidence to support it."

The Judge didn't throw it out because she also had text messages indicating drug use the night before.

JMO

Yes, she was accused and wasn't convicted on that charge. In fact, the prosecutor has said she won't use HGR as a witness against AB because she lacks credibility due to her recklessness and significant drug use.

JMO

She was never accused of having drugs at the set. She handed the bag (allegedly) to another person at her hotel room.

The texts where she mentions using weed were at the hotel.

Can you please provide a link to anything where she is accused of taking drugs to the film set?

Her attorney said:

The statement from the previous poster was that she took drugs to the set, though.

There simply is no evidence of that.

The Judge didn't throw it out because she also had text messages indicating drug use the night before.

JMO

The text messages have zero to do with the evidence tampering charge. There was no evidence for a tampering charge, I am surprised the judge allowed it without evidence to support the charge.

2 Cents
The statement from the previous poster was that she took drugs to the set, though.

There simply is no evidence of that.
Right. Her Evidence Tampering charge wasn't for bringing drugs to the set.

2 Cents

She was never accused of having drugs at the set. She handed the bag (allegedly) to another person at her hotel room.

The texts where she mentions using weed were at the hotel.

Can you please provide a link to anything where she is accused of taking drugs to the film set?

It was discussed in court and was certainly put to the jury as one of the charges. They didn't find her guilty of it.

You would need to watch the court recordings to see the 'evidence' and the witness statement (the woman she gave the 'baggie' to throw away giving testimony, she stated the bag contained cocaine in her opinion). Sorry I can't be more specific but that was the allegation.

The text messages have zero to do with the evidence tampering charge. There was no evidence for a tampering charge, I am surprised the judge allowed it without evidence to support the charge.

2 Cents

Right. Her Evidence Tampering charge wasn't for bringing drugs to the set.

2 Cents

BBM

I understood that it was for asking the assistant lady to throw away the 'baggie' of white powder. HGR was charged with that per 'tampering with evidence' and the woman involved took the stand in court. However, as there was no proof and the powder had never been located or tested (because the woman stated she threw it in a bin and it was never retrieved), the jury didn't find HGR guilty on this count.

JMO MOO

It was discussed in court and was certainly put to the jury as one of the charges. They didn't find her guilty of it.

You would need to watch the court recordings to see the 'evidence' and the witness statement (the woman she gave the 'baggie' to throw away giving testimony, she stated the bag contained cocaine in her opinion). Sorry I can't be more specific but that was the allegation.
That evidence related to an incident at her hotel room (where she allegedly handed a bag of something to someone else) and not on the set of Rust.

Below is a link to a news story that includes evidence photos of the live rounds mixed with dummy bullets introduced at trial. Very obvious the armorer had to be under the influence of drugs &/or alcohol when she loaded the gun because there is a very noticeable visual distinction. Because LE failed to retrieve and test the powder, I guess the jury decided she wasn't guilty. Still, the photo evidence of her incredible recklessness and unprofessionalism is staggering.

JMO

Special prosecutor Jason Lewis said investigators combed through movie set photos, determining there were six live rounds that circulated the set of the Alec Baldwin-starred western movie — including one displayed in a photo that Gutierrez-Reed took of herself at work.

“There is a live round sitting right on Ms. Gutierrez’s lap and she failed to identify it,” Lewis told the 12 jurors as they were shown the image.

Below is a link to a news story that includes evidence photos of the live rounds mixed with dummy bullets introduced at trial. Very obvious the armorer had to be under the influence of drugs &/or alcohol when she loaded the gun because there is a very noticeable visual distinction.
Being under the influence is one thing - and, quite frankly is open to opinion, imv.

You made the very specific allegation that she took drugs to the movie set, however. No one has ever made that allegation anywhere, as far I am aware.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisonvsmith
Back