Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

Does LA have a manner to collect this type of water or does it flow into the ocean? It's a shame to lose so much water in an area that deals with droughts so often.
Nope. It flows right into the ocean. And every day, on tv commercials, we continue to be "reminded" of the importance of how we manage our water at home. Someone should remind Calif government the importance of how THEY manage the water. It really irritates me. imo

Palm Springs got hit very hard:

“"Right now we have flooding on all of our roads. There's no way in or out of Palm Springs, and that's the case for the majority of the Coachella Valley. We're all stuck," Palm Springs Mayor Grace Garner said during an interview on CNN on Monday morning.”

Storm Hilary moves north after drenching Southern California, Southwest

The nuance is explained here at The Weather Channel . (6:55 a.m. ET) 26 Years? 84 Years? Explaining the Nuance

Seems the key thing is “landfall”.

“Since Hilary didn’t technically make landfall in California, the September 1939 tropical storm in the Los Angeles Basin remains as most recent storm to landfall in the state. Its center tracked directly into Southern California from the ocean.”

Thank you! I discovered the nuance this morning, too. But why weren’t the news media telling us this yesterday? They believed that Hilary wasn’t going to ‘make landfall’ in California either, by this definition. I remember them saying yesterday, and the day before, that they expected it to hit Baja California.

And that’s a rhetorical question—I know the answer.

Hi everyone. Glad to see fellow Websleuthers in the storm path are ok. My area of San Diego was largely unaffected. Mostly just some drizzling. Maybe 10 minutes of hard rain in the afternoon. The local school district canceled the first day of school in an abundance of caution.

I feel so bad for all who were affected. Palm Springs appears to have been hit the hardest.

I do wish the reports would say "Some areas were drenched". I look at the title, which is often completely false, then buried in the article it continued to say "could happen" to Southern Ca when a good portion barely noticed the storm. It's like people who live in tiny states think LA is next door to San Diego and if something happens to one, it happens to the other. Heck, it's two hours to the desert from where I live.

It's a disservice to the badly hit areas to generalize like that. If Yucaipa or Oak Glen need help, get them what they need: erosion control, road repair, whatever. The rest of us don't need it.

Nope. It flows right into the ocean. And every day, on tv commercials, we continue to be "reminded" of the importance of how we manage our water at home. Someone should remind Calif government the importance of how THEY manage the water. It really irritates me. imo
Especially when they've had decades to deal with the problem. I've always wondered why California squanders the opportunity to corral save that water. At least they are aware of it. Here's a good link.

I have a large covered deck in the back. I had put all the furniture and several plants inside. I had learned my lesson after the storms earlier in the year, when I found 3 of my seat cushions and an outdoor rug down the hill on the street below, and two cushions I never found at all. Chairs and potted plants toppled.

None of it was necessary this time, all we had was some rain, and little wind.
You never know though.....better safe than sorry.

Feel really bad for residents of Oak Glen and the areas so badly affected.

Did any rain fall in the catchment area for lake Mead?

Lake Mead water levels are at the highest point this year after Hurricane Hilary swept through the Southwest.

The lake stands 1,063.95 feet above mean sea level according to information collected by LakeLevels. This is over 20 feet higher than where the lake was on this day last year, almost four feet below where it was last year, and almost 20 feet under where the lake was in 2020.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back