ID - Deorr Kunz Jr, 2 yr old -- Media and Maps **NO DISCUSSION"

Interview with the sheriff in the video.

3 months, still no sign of missing toddler
Chelsea Brentzel
POSTED: 10:39 PM MDT Oct 09, 2015 UPDATED: 10:51 PM MDT Oct 09, 2015

""Thursday evening just right around dark time they arrived, set up camp and then Friday morning, somewhere around 10:30 or 11 is when they went to Leadore," Bowerman said.

A receipt and cashier proves the parents trip to the only convenience store in town, but was the toddler with his mother and father?

"Somebody said they thought they saw a child in the vehicle while they fueled up, but they're not positive," Bowerman said.

The family went back to camp and a few hours later the mother called 911 saying her son was missing."

:(

New article on East Idaho News:

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/10/sheriff-fbi-unable-to-analyze-some-evidence-in-deorr-kunz-case/

Some interesting points:

“The FBI informed us that they could not analyze some evidence that we gave them,” Bowerman wrote in an email to EastIdahoNews.com Friday. “I’m not sure what that’s about, and they still haven’t provided me any behavioral analysis.”

Meanwhile, a private investigator working with DeOrr’s parents, Jessica Mitchell and DeOrr Kunz Sr., tells EastIdahoNews.com he has severed ties with the family over “disagreements.”

Next week, Bowerman says, he will be traveling to Idaho Falls to meet with Bonneville County detectives to determine the next steps to take in the case.

Family and Friends Continue Search for DeOrr Kunz

Family and friends combed the mountains of the Timber Creek area near Leadore again on Sunday after a two day search looking for two year old DeOrr Kunz that came up missing on July 10th during a family outing up at Timber Creek Campgrounds.

KPVI traveled to Timber Creek on Sunday and spoke with DeOrr’s mom about the search efforts.

“Nothing. We’re still at square one, like we were the day that it happened,” says Jessica Mitchell, DeOrr Kunz’s mother.

[...]
“I am praying that one day I go to sleep and wake up and it’s just been this nightmare and he’s in his bed and he’s safe and it was just something I had a dream about, not real life,” says Mitchell.

Part of that nightmare has been dealing with not only the loss of her son, but the negative social media along with it.

“The horrible, unimaginable things that they have said that we have done without evidence, without even knowing who we are as people or his parents or anything like that, questioning the love that I have for him and that’s kind of been the hardest,” says Mitchell.

Parents of missing 2-year-old talk about social media
Chelsea Brentzel
POSTED: 11:57 AM MDT Oct 26, 2015

DAHO FALLS, Idaho -
Parents of missing 2-year-old DeOrr Kunz Junior say social media is a blessing and it helps get their sons face out there, but it can also be damaging to the family.

Video at the links

Kunz family: If you see DeOrr, please ask him this question
Updated at 2:01 pm, October 30th, 2015
By: Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com

[...]
IDAHO FALLS — The grandmother of a missing toddler says if you see someone you believe is DeOrr Kunz, ask the child his name.

Trina Bates Clegg says DeOrr knows who he is and even knows the names of his parents.

“If someone comes up to my grandson DeOrr and says, ‘What is your name?’ he’s going to say, ‘My name is DeOrr Kunz,'” Trina Bates Clegg told EastIdahoNews.com during an interview.

“Please ask him his name, because he will tell you he’s smart,” Bates Clegg said. “He’s very, very smart.”

[...]
“If you ask him, ‘Is yours mom’s name Jessica and is your daddy’s name DeOrr, he will tell you absolutely yes,” Bates Clegg said. “If you even have a thought that it’s him, please ask him his name.”

How could a 2-year-old vanish without a trace?
Idaho State Journal, 10/31/15 By David Ashby dashby@journalnet.com Updated 15 hrs ago

For almost four months now, the question of what happened to DeOrr has baffled investigators. Some of the theories include DeOrr simply wandering off the campsite, being taken by a wild animal or being abducted by a stranger. The Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office won’t even comment on whether they consider DeOrr’s parents to be suspects in the case.

How could a 2-year-old vanish without a trace, despite such large-scale search efforts to find him?

DeOrr Kunz's Family Hosting Fundraiser to Pay for Private Investigators
KPVI TV 6, January 10, 2016

"The fundraiser is next Saturday, January 16th from 2 to 6 p.m. at Eagles, 635 Hemmert Avenue in Idaho Falls.

There will be a dinner and raffle/auction and dinner is catered by Western Dutch Oven.

The cost is $10.00 per person and kids under 3 are free.

All proceeds will be used to pay for the newly hired Private Investigators, Klein Investigating and Consulting."

Klein Investigations and Consulting FB post - 1 hr ·
Statement On Press Release Deorr Kunz : We will be delayed in our press release regarding Deorr Kunz due to information that has been provided to us by a witness this weekend. We hope to have our direction press release by Friday. Thank You for your understanding as we want to be factual and make decisions based upon facts and not theory or fiction. We assure the public in Idaho and concerned citizens around the US that we are working hard on getting the answers.

Klein Investigations and Consulting

FB post 2 hrs. ago

Special Announcement : Mr. Klein will make himself avalible to the public regarding the Deorr Kunz case for a 30 minute Q and A. He will answer your questions as there seems to be so much emotion and anger from some in the general public. We will do this Q and A at 2 p.m. Central Standard Time here in this forum. That time on the East Coast will be 3 p.m., and Mountain Time 1 p.m. Please keep your question to 1 - 3 sentences and try to hold down the speeches as he wants to answer as many questions as he can. that will be today January 11, 2016 at 2 p.m. CST.

No Trace, No Clues, No End: DeOrr Kunz Still Missing after 6 Months
1/10/16

Despite an abundance of theories and intensive national media and social media interest, the whereabouts of a missing 3-year-old remain unknown six months after his disappearance.

...He (Steve Penner) said investigators intend to resume searching the Timber Creek Campground area in the spring...

...Klein said DeOrr’s family has been cooperative, but added that Isaac Reinwand, a family friend who joined the July camping trip, would not make a statement to his investigators.

...Private investigator Frank Vilt, a retired U.S. Marshal who previously worked with the family, said he backed out of the case after offering a reward for information leading to DeOrr. Vilt said the family disagreed with posting a reward...

...Vilt said the lie detector tests administered to those at the campsite were inconclusive...

Read more at:
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/c...cle_42d82c8a-71b8-5324-82eb-7c38a0020b9b.html

Klein Investigations and Consulting 15 mins ·

Good Morning. Attached is the media release by Sr. Investigator, Philip R. Klein.

10275450_939454592803792_2196387338117684576_o.jpg

Lemhi County Chief Deputy: “We have new leads in DeOrr case”
Local 6 Updated at 9:35 pm, January 16th, 2016

[...]
LEADORE — Investigators with the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office say they have developed new leads in the case of missing Idaho Falls toddler DeOrr Kunz, Jr.

“The leads were obtained from previously withheld information,” Chief Deputy Steve Penner told EastIdahoNews.com late Saturday night. “The investigation is continuing.”
DeOrr investigator: I think we know ‘how,’ we’re just trying to figure out ‘why’
National 5 Updated at 4:12 pm, January 18th, 2016 By: Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com

Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com: You guys issued a statement on Saturday morning that got a lot of people talking. You announced you have narrowed down your investigation.

Philip Klein, Klein Investigations & Consulting: Right. Let me give you a little base history on it. What we did was we came into this case cold. That means we didn’t discuss our case with law enforcement and we didn’t discuss it with anyone. We came in only knowing that there were four people on a mountain and a child had disappeared.

We started to re-create this case all the way from the beginning. There were three theories that we had come up with in the beginning.

First – the possibility that there had been an animal that had gotten the child and killed the child.
Second – that it could have possibly been an abduction situation or what we call ‘forced abduction.’
Third – it could have been a possible homicide.

We began to build this case back up from the ground level. We’ve now done over 80 interviews, 500 man hours of investigation, (taken) countless sworn statements and what we’ve come up with simply is this:
There was not an animal that took the child in this situation.

There was no forced abduction. This includes the black Rubicon (theory). We can find no corroborating statements and no corroborating witnesses. We can find nothing that can corroborate this. So we are absolutely, beyond a reasonable doubt sure was not an abduction case.

That leaves us with one last possible theory: that the child could have died up on mountain either accidentally or possibly with intent. So now we are sinking our teeth into that part of the case and we’re developing that part of the case.

read the full interview at the link

Investigator believes DeOrr Kunz Jr. is dead
Posted: January 18, 2016 3:10 p.m

By TOM HOLM
tholm@postregister.com
A Texas private investigator does not believe a Jeep Rubicon is connected with the disappearance of DeOrr Kunz Jr. Nor does he believe the boy is being held by a family member, or anyone else.

He believes DeOrr is dead.

Philip Klein, CEO of Klein Investigations and Consulting out of Nederland, Texas, said nearly two months of investigation into the disappearance of the boy has narrowed the scope of what could have happened.

One theory investigators have is that the 3-year-old died and his body could still be somewhere near the Timber Creek Campground in the Salmon-Challis National Forest.

“We’ve reconstructed this case from the ground up,” Klein said. “We’ve concluded this, it didn’t just pop out of the air.”

Whether DeOrr’s death was intentional or accidental remains to be investigated, Klein said.

read more at the link

DeOrr's grandfather: 'My grandson is alive and I will find him'
Karen Zatkulak, KTVB
6:30 p.m. MST January 19, 2016

BOISE -- The grandfather of the eastern Idaho toddler missing since last summer is holding out hope that he's OK.
This comes as the private investigator hired to find DeOrr Kunz Jr. says there is evidence that he is not alive.

[...]
Meanwhile, DeOrr's grandfather says his family continues to feel support from those in Idaho and across the country.
"It's overwhelming the help and response we got from people, good-hearted people, and I thank you all very, very much," said Kunz.

He says they just held a fundraiser this past weekend to raise money to pay for Klein's services and says people's donations were appreciated.

"I just want people to know that as far as my family is concerned my grandson is alive and that's the way it is," said Kunz.

14 questions you wanted us to ask the DeOrr Kunz private investigator
National 8 Updated at 12:47 pm, January 21st, 2016

Philip Klein, a private investigator based in Texas, has been working with the family of DeOrr Kunz Jr. and conducting his own investigation in the disappearance of the three-year-old Idaho Falls boy.

Earlier this week, in an in-depth interview with EastIdahoNews.com, Klein revealed some significant new developments in the case. He believes the child was either accidentally or purposely killed and that at least one person will be prosecuted in the case.
Klein agreed to answer further questions from EastIdahoNews.com viewers. Dozens were submitted on our Facebook page and we selected 14 to present to Klein.

Here is the unedited question and answer transcript. Click on the video above to watch the entire conversation.

[...]

Eaton: Lae wants to know, “What does it take to force someone to cooperate with an investigation once they’ve hired a lawyer? Can the court order them to answer questions or what about a grand jury indictment?”

Klein: I am not familiar with the Idaho statutes other than I do know that the state of Idaho can convene a grand jury to hear testimony where a witness would have to go in to the grand jury without an attorney. They would have two options available to them. Option one is to give their testimony and tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help them God. The second would be to invoke their fifth amendment rights.

The second part of that question would be federal side. Federal grand juries are a little different monkey. Lying in front of a federal grand jury or refusing to answer in front of a federal grand jury is a crime as it is a crime to lie to a federal agent.

Those are issues that I think witnesses in this case should be concerned with as well as some of these folks on Facebook that could be considered trying to throw an investigation off. If you’re questioned about it and you lie and say that wasn’t me, that’s a federal crime if an FBI agent asks you.

In a roundabout way, this is coming down to probably a grand jury I would think at some point. The next question obviously is what’s the timeline. That’s what we call the crystal ball concept. I’m not willing to look into a crystal ball and predict. We take every day as it comes and we’re moving the case along. Give law enforcement some room, give us some room and give the prosecutors some room and we’ll get there. Just give us some room.

Eaton: Annalee asks, “I would like to know if Great Grandpa or Isaac actually saw DeOrr on Friday or if they just assumed he was there because they had seen him Thursday?

Klein: Again that goes into testimony and I’m not willing to answer but I will say is we have witnesses collaborating that he was on the mountain on that Friday.

more at the link

January 25, 2016:
Sheriff announces that the parents, Vernel Deorr Kunz and Jessica Mitchell, are now suspects. He says that were deceitful during multiple polygraph tests and have been "less than truthful" with investigators during recent interviews.

"They refused to give us any further information to clear up the untruthfulness and they've changed their story on numerous occasions," he said.

Bowerman said. "They know something, I just don't know what they know. It causes me alarm. I believe they know where he is absolutely."

Lemhi Co. Sheriff: DeOrr Kunz' parents named suspects in his disappearance - Interview with Sheriff Bowerman in the video. KTVB, KTVB.COM 12:14 p.m. MST January 25, 2016

KTVB7 Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KTVB7/posts/10153793292073991

Sheriff on missing toddler DeOrr Kunz's parents: 'They know where he is absolutely' By KBOI News Staff Monday, January 25th 2016

KBOI2 Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kboi2/posts/1117653141579724

UPDATE: DeOrr’s parents named as suspects in child’s disappearance
Updated at 10:42 am, January 25th, 2016 By: Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com

“Their timeline keeps changing, where they were at keeps changing, and movements and statements about DeOrr Jr. keep changing,” Bowerman tells EastIdahoNews.com.

EIN Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/EastIdahoNews/posts/577032575779820

Parents of DeOrr Kunz named as suspects in missing toddler case
Staff Writer - Local News 8
POSTED: 10:57 AM MST Jan 25, 2016 UPDATED: 12:15 PM MST Jan 25, 2016

DeOrr Kunz, Jr. Update: Investigators Take Closer Look At Missing Toddler's Parents
Starpulse.com Heather Tooley 1/25/2016 5:09pm EST

"He says the investigation is basically “centered” on the missing toddler's parents.
At this point the couple aren't under arrest and no warrants have been issued. Bowerman has met with prosecutors, the FBI. and the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office. Bowerman wants to take time and make sure they have a solid case before charging Mitchell and Kunz."

Some more media links:
Sheriff: Missing boy’s parents ‘less than truthful’

Posted: January 25, 2016 10:25 a.m. By LAURA ZUCKERMAN news@postregister.com

"The statement by the sheriff comes shortly after a fundraiser by the family in which monies were to be funneled to a private investigator who later issued a news release saying he believed the case could involve an accidental death or a murder.

Bowerman said his decision to come forward with questions about the couple’s truthfulness stemmed in part from well-meaning strangers contacting him to ask if they should donate money to the family.

“I’m not saying ‘don’t donate’ to people. I’m saying I have concerns and that’s the information I feel they need to know to make that decision. It’s very important for the public to know that,” he said."

--------------------------------------------
Brief statement by Klein Investigations: https://www.facebook.com/KleinInves...3864945696095/944222152327036/?type=3&theater

----------------------------

Parents of Missing Idaho Toddler Named Suspects in Summer 2015 Disappearance
by Rachael Trost NBC News Dateline Jan 25 2016, 4:46 pm ET

"We first became real suspicious of mom and dad after their initial polygraph tests, taken several weeks after DeOrr went missing. Then this past weekend, when the FBI handed over their reports and interviews, that's when we made the decision to inform the public," Sheriff Bowerman told Dateline.

----------------------------
Sheriff names parents suspects in disappearance of Idaho toddler By Crimesider Staff CBS News January 25, 2016, 4:26 PM

"He says an arrest isn't imminent because the situation could change if DeOrr Kunz Jr. is found."
---------------------------

Sheriff: Parents named as suspects in DeOrr Kunz Jr. case
Idaho State Journal By David Ashby dashby@journalnet.com 3 hrs ago

Walton's and Reinwand’s polygraph tests came back inconclusive. But Bowerman said authorities were expecting that because Walton and Reinwand had undisclosed health problems known to affect polygraph results. However, Bowerman said the polygraph tests indicated that the boy’s parents were not being upfront with some of the authorities’ questions.

"We re-interviewed them, but they weren’t willing to tell us the truth,” Bowerman said. The last interview with the parents was conducted this past weekend.

Out of the four suspects interviewed, Bowerman said Reinwand’s story has been the most consistent. However, all four are still considered persons of interest in the case, the sheriff said.

Sheriff names parents suspects in disappearance of Idaho toddler
By Crimesider Staff CBS News January 25, 2016, 4:26 PM

[...]

"They are the top persons of interest," Bowerman told CBS affiliate KBOI. "Does that mean they're suspects? Yeah I think so."

[...]

"They know something, I just don't know what they know," he told the station. "It causes me alarm. I believe they know where he is absolutely."

Sheriff on missing toddler DeOrr Kunz's parents: 'They know where he is absolutely'
By KBOI News Staff Monday, January 25th 2016

[...]

The sheriff said the investigation began to turn in the second week of January after the FBI and behavior analysts turned over their findings. Detectives brought them in yet again for follow up interviews and they continued with their story, the sheriff says.
"I thought I'd give them another opportunity to tell us what happened, " he said. "I decided it was time the public knew what my concerns were -- I don't believe we have an abducted child."

[...]

Bowerman says the couple agreed to a polygraph test, but when asked if they knew where there son was, red flags were raised.

"They are being less than truthful," Bowerman said. "They know something, I just don't know what they know. It causes me alarm. I believe they know where he is absolutely."

[...]

"I'm not willing to jeopardize the investigation and filing (charges) too early," he said. "I want to make sure I got this right.

[...]

Bowerman has asked the public to come forward if they had ever noticed any strange behavior between the couple and their son before his disappearance.

New interview with Bowerman from KID radio: http://590kid.com/2016/01/25/new-lemhi-sheriff-speaks-to-kid-about-deorr-kunz-jr-s-parent/

NEW: Lemhi Sheriff speaks with KID after naming Kunz parents suspects

January 25, 2016 Neal Larson Breaking, Featured, Regional News

On Monday, Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman named missing toddler Deorr Kunz Jr.’s parents as suspects in their child’s disappearance. Neal Larson and Cala Curtis spoke with Sheriff Bowerman Monday morning. See full story below.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back