IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she was abducted by anyone she knows, I'm thinking random stranger abduction who saw a possibly intoxicated young woman walking barefoot down the street in the early morning hours by herself.

one of the early reports stated she was walking home from a friend's house. Perhaps she'd stayed the night, awakened before the others, and started for home without the others knowing.

They knew she was going to walk home, according to her friends, she seemed fine to walk home by herself.

I don't think she was abducted by anyone she knows, I'm thinking random stranger abduction who saw a possibly intoxicated young woman walking barefoot down the street in the early morning hours by herself.

Could be someone heading to a job at that time, like janitor. Just an odd time. The times I have been out at that time, its dead, then 5 hits and people get moving.

I wish that NEws Channels could get ramdom statements out about if you knew a person, who is acting strange, missing, missing morning work, new scratches or cuts, stuff like that.... Get people thinking... kwim Everyone should trust there guts...

Could be someone heading to a job at that time, like janitor. Just an odd time. The times I have been out at that time, its dead, then 5 hits and people get moving.

I wish that NEws Channels could get ramdom statements out about if you knew a person, who is acting strange, missing, missing morning work, new scratches or cuts, stuff like that.... Get people thinking... kwim Everyone should trust there guts...

Same here, 5-5:30 in the morning you have cars out and about.

I live in Indy and am about 35-40 minutes away from Bloomington, so this hits close to home. I felt so sorry for this family on the news after seeing Lauren's mother yelling her name in the woods. I contacted them and suggested they call Tim Miller at Texasequusearch to see if they could get some help covering some of the terrain with the woods and the lakes or maybe he can connect them with some other resources. They wrote back and said they are now in contact with TES. I am praying they can help! Does anyone else have any suggestions that I can pass on to them? What about national media? Nancy Grace or something? What about an organization like Team Hope?

I live in Indy and am about 35-40 minutes away from Bloomington, so this hits close to home. I felt so sorry for this family on the news after seeing Lauren's mother yelling her name in the woods. I contacted them and suggested they call Tim Miller at Texasequusearch to see if they could get some help covering some of the terrain with the woods and the lakes or maybe he can connect them with some other resources. They wrote back and said they are now in contact with TES. I am praying they can help! Does anyone else have any suggestions that I can pass on to them? What about national media? Nancy Grace or something? What about an organization like Team Hope?

I would contact Nancy Grace, she seems to have young pretty women who are missing featured on her show a lot.

I would contact Nancy Grace, she seems to have young pretty women who are missing featured on her show a lot.

Unfortunately, Nancy is consumed with the Casey Anthony trial right now. Still waiting for her to run the Alivia Kail story. I don't think she ever aired that one.

I moved to Bloomington almost 20 years ago to come to college and never left. I work at IU only blocks away from Kilroy's. This case has been on my mind for the past few days since I found out about it and I hope that she is found safe and soon. You guys are really great with monitoring the local media--I'm not sure how much help I can give but would be happy to answer questions if you have any.

OK, been thinking about this poor girl and I just wanted to say, as this topic no doubt attracts more views, can we try not to put blame on her friends for letting her go home alone? (It made me so uncomfortable when that trend cropped up in the threads here about Morgan Harrington, though in that case it seemed a bit more understandable, even.)

I went to college in NYC, on the edge of Harlem, at a time when Giuliani was just getting started on cleaning the place up -- and I can't tell you how many of us thought nothing of walking three blocks home, alone, at 4AM, and nothing happened to any of us. If somebody did take her, it's not her fault for walking three blocks alone, or her friends' fault for not walking with her. Of course, in retrospect, everyone wishes she hadn't been alone, no one more so than her parents, I'm sure. But if something bad happened to her, she and her friends bear no fault in it: the fault is entirely on the perp.

/Tangent over. Just had to get that off my chest... Hope nobody minds.

I moved to Bloomington almost 20 years ago to come to college and never left. I work at IU only blocks away from Kilroy's. This case has been on my mind for the past few days since I found out about it and I hope that she is found safe and soon. You guys are really great with monitoring the local media--I'm not sure how much help I can give but would be happy to answer questions if you have any.

What is the local sentiment? Are there any prevailing theories on the case?

Those of us who express sentiments that we wish young women would not walk along at night only do so for the sake of the young woman...maybe from being on WS for various lengths of time, we tend to expect the worst and rarely hear of good endings. So it is not "blaming the victim," so much as wishing they knew what we know, I guess. Something like that.

What is the local sentiment? Are there any prevailing theories on the case?

Really things are pretty quiet here and I am getting the same news stories as you all have found and linked to. Camps has grounds to a halt as the students are gone for the summer. Summarizing the newspaper forums, comments are very much like the comments here.
- People are confused about where she was last reported and where she was headed. Where is the friends' party located?
- Police have not been very forthcoming with exact details. Where are her shoes? Who was she with? Why was she by herself?

We only have two local papers (one college paper which is published a few times over the summer and one local paper) but no local newscasts. We rely on the Indianapolis news channels.

There have been several search groups going but you can monitor as well as I can about with me about Facebook and Twitter posts. It hasn't been too long ago that Jill Behrman went missing and was found killed.

Thinking about college students drinking and partying.

1. Why wouldn't she have just stayed at a friends, it was late?

2. I think one of the biggest reasons college girls walk alone after a long night of "partying" is b/c they leave a bar with a guy, go home with him, don't want to stay the night, so they leave, and have no one to walk them home.

3. Possible argument with friends?

4. Also, do college aged kids ever really know "how drunk" they are or their friends are?

This reminds me of the Morgan Harrington case...no one will probably ever really know all that transpired the hours leading up to her disappearance.

I noticed a few things looking at Google. Around the vicinity of 11th & College I see Amethyst House and Catholic Charities. Any known trouble in this area?

OK, been thinking about this poor girl and I just wanted to say, as this topic no doubt attracts more views, can we try not to put blame on her friends for letting her go home alone? (It made me so uncomfortable when that trend cropped up in the threads here about Morgan Harrington, though in that case it seemed a bit more understandable, even.)

I went to college in NYC, on the edge of Harlem, at a time when Giuliani was just getting started on cleaning the place up -- and I can't tell you how many of us thought nothing of walking three blocks home, alone, at 4AM, and nothing happened to any of us. If somebody did take her, it's not her fault for walking three blocks alone, or her friends' fault for not walking with her. Of course, in retrospect, everyone wishes she hadn't been alone, no one more so than her parents, I'm sure. But if something bad happened to her, she and her friends bear no fault in it: the fault is entirely on the perp.

/Tangent over. Just had to get that off my chest... Hope nobody minds.

regardless of the city one lives in, one is usually safe walking three blocks provided one has his or her senses intact.

not blaming Lauren for partying but I get the real feeling that she was not all there when she left the bar. who walks anywhere (other than a sandy beach) without their shoes?

the case this most closely resembles (in my view) is that of Dwight Clark, an 18 y.o. college student in Washington State who went to an off-campus party, was supposedly ok when he left and had a relatively modest walk home. he wound up dead in the water and toxicology results showed that he had marijuana in his system.

there are a number of reasons why she might not have gotten a ride and forgive me if this is mentioned in some of the links but 1. it is possible they all walked to the bar 2. no one felt sober enough to drive 3. the person or persons with a vehicle did not want to leave and Lauren left on her own rather than wait for a ride or 4. a drive for three blocks seemed unnecessary.

while college towns might have seedier elements to them, the upside of it is that often there are other kids milling about even in the wee hours. so we can't say for sure she was the only person on the street at that hour.

my question is whether there are any businesses along the route with surveillance cameras. that usually helps tremendously in tracing people's last steps.

just a thought, and is probably not what happened but if she was in a bar she may have had fake ID, not necessarily in her own name.

it is possible, but not probable, that she was admitted to a hospital under a wrong name taken from an ID.

even so, you would think there would be ambulance records taking a young woman to a hospital in the wee hours of the morning, but with patient privacy rules, it might not be as simple as one would think.

I'm hoping someone took her to a hospital but I'm sure police have looked, but maybe only for Jane Doe's.

I find it strange she wasn't supposed to call someone to let them know she got home safely...wouldn't you made sure you had your phone to do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member