IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no surveillance that shows LS leaving. If there was, it wouldn't be much of a mystery.

I think they wanted to put some pressure all round as the case was getting cold with no activity.

I thought the bit about “surveillance footage” was interesting too. Surely just a mistake on the part of the writer. The statement issued this morning by Bloomington police is also interesting. I believe he said they have executed 11 search warrants in regards to Laurens case? I guess that number sounds high to me, because I can only think of a few I know of off the top of my head.

I thought the bit about “surveillance footage” was interesting too. Surely just a mistake on the part of the writer. The statement issued this morning by Bloomington police is also interesting. I believe he said they have executed 11 search warrants in regards to Laurens case? I guess that number sounds high to me, because I can only think of a few I know of off the top of my head.

Are they all publicized? Search warrant can be for a car/phone etc as well. Searching a single property can also require multiple warrants.

No new updates, no new information - official PD statement -

IMO they should release some details to spark interest. Wow it's been a decade.

Related?

Man arrested Monday after attempted kidnapping in Bloomington – The Bloomingtonian May 31st, 2021

" Upon arrival, officers made contact with a 30 year-old female victim who reported that just prior to calling 911, she had been walking southbound on Liberty Drive when she felt her backpack being pulled from behind. She advised officers that she turned around and an unknown man grabbed her backpack and began pulling her. She reported that she began struggling with the man which caused her backpack to fall off. The victim reported that the man then grabbed her in what she described as a “bear hug” and began pulling her towards his vehicle. She was eventually able to get out of the man’s grasp and began yelling for help.

A witness driving by saw the struggle and stopped to check on the victim. At that point, the suspect got into his vehicle and sped off "

Related?

Man arrested Monday after attempted kidnapping in Bloomington – The Bloomingtonian May 31st, 2021

" Upon arrival, officers made contact with a 30 year-old female victim who reported that just prior to calling 911, she had been walking southbound on Liberty Drive when she felt her backpack being pulled from behind. She advised officers that she turned around and an unknown man grabbed her backpack and began pulling her. She reported that she began struggling with the man which caused her backpack to fall off. The victim reported that the man then grabbed her in what she described as a “bear hug” and began pulling her towards his vehicle. She was eventually able to get out of the man’s grasp and began yelling for help.

A witness driving by saw the struggle and stopped to check on the victim. At that point, the suspect got into his vehicle and sped off "

At 10 am? What the hell?

"The Bloomington Police Department arrested a 51-year-old man Monday after he allegedly attempted to kidnap a 30-year-old woman in the 1200 block of S. Liberty Drive around 10 a.m. Monday."

At 10 am? What the hell?

"The Bloomington Police Department arrested a 51-year-old man Monday after he allegedly attempted to kidnap a 30-year-old woman in the 1200 block of S. Liberty Drive around 10 a.m. Monday."

I had to go read that article to see about the time. That was Memorial Day I think - 5/31/21? Looks like the location was near I-69. Interesting that witnesses called 911. From the article linked above:
"A witness driving by saw the struggle and stopped to check on the victim. At that point, the suspect got into his vehicle and sped off southbound on Liberty Drive. Another witness who had seen the two struggling observed the suspect speeding off and began to follow the suspect and called 911 to report what he had seen and where the truck was heading. As the truck reached southbound State Road 37, the witness lost sight of it but was able to provide a partial license plate number to Central Emergency Dispatch."

Grateful to these witnesses.

these same two weeks, Memorial Day-June 12 ish is a period where many women have gone missing or attempted abductions. I did some research on the hunting seasons and found that those two weeks will have the least hunters and mushroom season has ended. Thus, less people around
for disposing of victims into the heavy forest/brush. Pretty obvious from missing persons reports who are never found, or found deceased, that the perps plan on mostly killing victims now, Let me go back and get my hunting stats.

these same two weeks, Memorial Day-June 12 ish is a period where many women have gone missing or attempted abductions. I did some research on the hunting seasons and found that those two weeks will have the least hunters and mushroom season has ended. Thus, less people around
for disposing of victims into the heavy forest/brush. Pretty obvious from missing persons reports who are never found, or found deceased, that the perps plan on mostly killing victims now, Let me go back and get my hunting stats.
This is very interesting!

This is very interesting!

here's what is illegal to hunt from May30-June 10 in Indiana:
red or gray fox
coyote or striped skunk
raccoon or possum
wild turkey
frogs
turtles
rabbits
quail
pheasant
deer
squirrel
then it opens up to frogs June 15 (along the creek)
and turtles July 1. (along the creek)
Wild turkeys won't come in til mid April of the next year.
Everything else starts in Oct and varies but all end by, April, mid May.

ok found this from upthread. Also to remember, jailhouse snitch said he helped move Laurens body on Memorial Day weekend. DM was a mushroom hunter, at the time Lauren disappeared mushroom season was over too. Mushroom hunters found Jill Berman's remains.

something just came to me. For me, everything always boiled down to the bartender witness. This is where I disagreed with the timeline, because of propaganda we were always led to believe her timeline was wrong.

First, let's be clear, this woman did not come forward to LE, she was seen on camera circling the area TWICE and claims she saw Lauren fall. slam her head and carried UP the street towards 11th and College.
Second, this witness knew DM! She was interviewed after Hannah's death and said so. She managed Yogis, and DM came in there every Thursday for trivia. Hannah was abducted and killed
on a Thursday and DM had been at trivia at Yogis that night.

So, is it weird that this particular woman, this person that saw Lauren slam her head an hour before she was abducted; was also present at Yogi's around the corner from Hannah's house, the night Hannah was also abducted and killed?

Lauren was last seen on camera, as we know, at 2:52 am. Bar witness says she saw Lauren outside
falling and slamming head at 3:38. Everyone said she was wrong, or lying. I now think, both.

What about this scenario? Lauren stumbles and is carried up the alley. But when they get to CR's the exertion makes him dizzy and sick with the drugs and booze, he barfs everywhere and they throw him into bed. Then, MB goes back out with Lauren down to 10th and College.

This is where Lauren smacks her head. Bar witness was rumored to be a dealer. She told the cops she was up there visiting a younger "boy". (gag). Anyway, what LE told US she told them was she saw Lauren fall completely over and smack her head and a man picked her up and carried her, "up the street." We haven't the slightest idea what else this crucial witness said. But she was concerned enough about Lauren, so she said, to circle the block twice which goes all the way around 10th and College and up around 11th and College, the square block where it all happened.
All of this to speculate, did this woman help to disappear Lauren by calling a scary regular customer at her bar known to be violent? Or was she a not so innocent bystander who witnessed an abduction? Coincidentally by one of her regular customers.

OR.....

Blacked out people can have amazing abilities to function yet have no idea where they are, who they are with, or what is happening and they are extremely suggestible.

The 5N POIs are lying about the time, making it 430 when she "left". Reason--have to cover for MB going back out with Lauren. He brings her back really injured and they stick her out on the corner because she is blacked out and tell her to head home. This is when DM abducts her?
He's in the area and has been following this night long drama with the gang, just like he did 4
years later with Hannah. The woman in the kissing video...is it the bar witness I wonder?

For all we know, cops could have released that video of the 30ish woman kissing a very young college guy at a party. We never thought of who released it. What if this bar witness gave this video to cops to prove she was visiting a boy the night Lauren went missing? when I say bar witness I am referring to the bar manager witness not the employees at Kilroys. which is an entirely different ball of snakes.

Last edited:

Still, trying to kidnap a 30 yr old woman at 10 am off the road is so bizarre. Unless it was planned or something.

Still, trying to kidnap a 30 yr old woman at 10 am off the road is so bizarre. Unless it was planned or something.

Spent maybe too much time yesterday with google maps trying to figure out this guy's game plan.
I know the area extremely well. Liberty drive, as you can see on the map, winds lazily around a giant upscale-ish office park/ chain store/government buildings , everything looks vaguely alike, etc. It is flanked by 2nd and 3rd streets, both lead to the west to country side and/or both have interstate connections very near if he drove directly to either street. PROBLEM IS, no way to get to anywhere else without gloing to these streets and they are very, very congested. Liberty drive is one of the most frustrating streets, it has no way to go east or west to get out. All of the streets if you want to call them that, just lead to buildings and parking lots.

And, when I used to drive my son to a gym right by there, I often saw people walking with backpacks going west where all of the businesses were. Looks like she might have gotten off the bus and was walking south and the 1200 block is right there by Menards.

It was def a grab and go situation, but why would he do this knowing someone could easily see it
and ID his car, as did happen. Then, trying to get off Liberty Drive, couldn't turn right or left, had to go straight, and in either direction a clogged situation whether trying to jump on the interstate or get into the rural landscape.

So, this evil idiot was waiting by Menards to snatch someone, I guess we'll find out if it was planned or random but if he planned it, it doesn't seem well thought out.

People need to start carrying satchels again, better for back and shoulder health and also you can whack someone with them, backpacks make people vulnerable, she is so lucky, thankfully.

I had to go read that article to see about the time. That was Memorial Day I think - 5/31/21? Looks like the location was near I-69. Interesting that witnesses called 911. From the article linked above:
"A witness driving by saw the struggle and stopped to check on the victim. At that point, the suspect got into his vehicle and sped off southbound on Liberty Drive. Another witness who had seen the two struggling observed the suspect speeding off and began to follow the suspect and called 911 to report what he had seen and where the truck was heading. As the truck reached southbound State Road 37, the witness lost sight of it but was able to provide a partial license plate number to Central Emergency Dispatch."

Grateful to these witnesses.
ok so he went to 2nd street to go south on 37. That was his escape plan, with no one in the car. With someone in the car, not sure if he wouldn't pick 3rd street. 3rd street has a very elaborate double knot of interstate connections also including north or south 37. the big problem is, he could easily get caught up in a traffic jam either way, even, maybe especially, at that time of day. Everyone doing business caught up between 2nd and third streets has to enter and exit just from those 2 streets for about 2-3 miles! The brave witness following him simply lost track there because getting into the lane you want is very hard. This area of town annoys me to no end every time I drive in it.
Pretty sure he would have killed her. Just too impulsive.

ok so he went to 2nd street to go south on 37. That was his escape plan, with no one in the car. With someone in the car, not sure if he wouldn't pick 3rd street. 3rd street has a very elaborate double knot of interstate connections also including north or south 37. the big problem is, he could easily get caught up in a traffic jam either way, even, maybe especially, at that time of day. Everyone doing business caught up between 2nd and third streets has to enter and exit just from those 2 streets for about 2-3 miles! The brave witness following him simply lost track there because getting into the lane you want is very hard. This area of town annoys me to no end every time I drive in it.
Pretty sure he would have killed her. Just too impulsive.

Good analysis and I'm glad they got him. I hope it's not random or it's pretty dystopian. Yeah she dropped the backpack, but he was still trying to grab her. Doesn't seem like a robbery

Interesting at the time and location.
Thats the industrial park between w.2nd and w.3rd streets?

Thats my old stomping grounds. Ofcourse back then there were only a handful of buisinesses in the park at the time. UPS hub? being one. Its unrecognizable to me looking at that area on google earth.

His name doesnt ring any bells as we are very close in age and I wonder why no booking pic was added to the story.

Scary situation and glad there were witnesses. I imagine that area was somewhat busy on the day in question.

This reminded me of the unknown DNA at the Hannah Wilson / Daniel Messel crime scene.

"He opened a paper grocery sack containing State’s Exhibit 88 and pulled out Messel’s brown and blood-stained Skechers shoe, which had his blood, Wilson’s blood and blood from an “unknown male,” Raymond testified.

More paper bags were cut open, revealing to jurors: Messel’s Cincinnati Reds No. 5 Johnny Bench T-shirt with his blood on it; and his jeans with his DNA, Wilson’s and, again, an “unknown person’s” DNA, according to Raymond.

Fingernail clippings cut from Wilson’s right hand during her autopsy contained traces of her own DNA and that of an unknown male, not Messel."

Last edited:
Interesting at the time and location.
Thats the industrial park between w.2nd and w.3rd streets?

Thats my old stomping grounds. Ofcourse back then there were only a handful of buisinesses in the park at the time. UPS hub? being one. Its unrecognizable to me looking at that area on google earth.

His name doesnt ring any bells as we are very close in age and I wonder why no booking pic was added to the story.

Scary situation and glad there were witnesses. I imagine that area was somewhat busy on the day in question.

you are so right about that area spreading out. Its not even one park anymore, but a series of business parks, large hub malls like UPS as you stated, just a Liberty Street maze of something you cannot get out of without returning to 2nd or 3rd. Was looking at an aerial photo of the area and it
is exactly a maze, which is why it is so stupid if it were planned. He wasn't too far into the maze but
he would always risk not being able to jump right on the interstate, more often than not that intersection is clogged, as it were he was both prevented and followed and see the follower was blocked at that intersection. Right where the follower was blocked there's a tricky, sudden lane switch also why they could only get a partial but also see the perp had to also slow down to switch lanes making it possible! Not saying this guy wasn't out to get someone that day, just saying he
impulsively grabbed someone in the wrong place. Was he purchasing items at Menards and then saw this woman and thought, easy prey?

Lately noticed that in recent failed abductions both perps were using bear hugs. Is this in
response to drop and roll being widely taught? As we see, both the girl waiting for the bus and this latest woman dropped and rolled and/or struggled. Both perps did this in broad daylight
with others around. All phys ed in schools should cover drop and roll and other such techniques that actually work very well in these quick snatch in public situations.

The Lauren Spierer case is another difficult missing persons case to solve. I am not going to rewrite the entire timeline. If you want to look it up or get a good feeling for her movements in the early morning hours of June 3, 2011, there is a 20/20 clip put out in 2016 that gives a good overview. I will try to link it below.

In this particular case, it seems like the victim was heavily intoxicated. Knowing her state of mind is crucial to understanding any decisions she may have made. She seems to leave behind valuables that most of us would not. At Kilroy's Sports Bar, she leaves her cell phone and her shoes. Then later on that night she is walking and falling down and leaves her purse and keys in an alley. All these items are later found shortly after she disappears. At some point this male friend she was with gets her back to the original apartment where she started drinking, but she wants to leave and go home. The guy she was drinking with passes out so the guy who owns the apartment next door offers to let Lauren spend the night at his place. But Lauren wants to leave. Presumably one reason she wants to leave is to retrieve her cell phone. At about 4:30 am she leaves this apartment and is last seen by this person walking to the corner of 11th and College Avenue. Then she disappears.

The main problem with this case is she could have been a target for a stranger, but also for people who knew her. Being able to clear the men she was with that night is so important in being able to eliminate it possibly being someone she knew. This case feels like it could be someone who has a secret that they are keeping inside about what happened to Lauren Spierer. Until someone says something it could be a mystery for a long time.

My only idea for this case is that maybe somehow she did manage to make it somewhere by herself, but entered the wrong home or apartment building because it looked like hers? I know my idea is over 10 years behind. Also, if she dropped her keys in the alley earlier and they were found there later by investigators, how would she be able to get back into her own apartment? How would she be able to get into another apartment building without keys? Without video footage to verify the story by the last person to see her alive, how does anyone know she even left the last place?

Another idea is that maybe the surroundings had something to do with her disappearance. Were there any newspaper stands nearby to the 11th and College Avenue location she disappeared from? Maybe it was a newspaper delivery person who saw her and took her? That time of morning 4:30 am is key for the start of newspaper delivery.

The 20/20 program was filmed back in 2016 and it was sort of surprising that the Indiana University students they interviewed in 2016 said the case was either old news or they had never even heard of the name, Lauren Spierer. Time matters so much in missing persons cases. Or else it seems like the cases fade away as times passes on, even in highly publicized cases like this one was back in 2011. Hopefully someday there is a resolution in this case.

Last edited:
How would you analyze the story given by the three men who last saw Lauren Spierer? I am going to focus on the end of the night. An important thing to remember is that the locations involved in this case are very close. There is a reason walking was such a good option, because everything is literally within walking distance(Kilroy's, her apartment, her friend's apartment).

The story goes that at the end of the night Corey went back to his apartment with Lauren. This was around 3:30 am. Corey had a roommate. Corey vomited and then went to bed according to his roommate. The roommate then took Lauren next door to Jason's apartment. When the night of drinking began, this is where Lauren started out at, Jason's apartment. Jason tried to get her to stay at his place because she was in bad shape, but Lauren wanted to leave. At around 4:30 am Lauren leaves walking up 11th street to College Ave. Jason watches her walk this distance from a small balcony on the second floor of his apartment. The corner of 11th and College Avenue is the last place Lauren Spierer is seen alive. The reason Jason could not watch her walk any further is because she has to make a right on College Avenue to walk down to where she lived. She leaves his line of sight.

It does sort of make sense that Lauren might have wanted to leave, even in her state. The walk is literally maybe 5-10 minutes according to a map I saw. The part that was a little strange was I wondered why nobody walked with her? Maybe because of the distance the feeling was that she would probably be ok?

Some scenarios:

What if Corey got back up, saw Lauren pass their apartment window, and followed her? Or Corey's roommate followed her? The reason this does not make sense is that Jason said he watched her walk up to 11th and College Ave. In addition, Lauren would have had a head start on the walk back to her place before Corey or his roommate would have come out of their apartment to try and catch up to Lauren. And since she would be out of the line of sight, they would have to know somehow that she left a place they assumed she was going to stay at.

What if Lauren never left Corey and his roommate's place? This does not make sense or else Jason would have alerted police to the lie about Corey's roommate bringing her over to his apartment.

What if Lauren never left Jason's place? Unfortunately this is where the case ends unless there are cameras or another witness who can verify they actually saw Lauren Spierer at the corner of 11th and College Ave at 4:30 am. And the police investigation must have some answers to this question.

What if after Lauren turned right to walk down College Avenue, some other man saw her stumbling and abducted her? This sounds like where the investigation is today. And that person could literally be anyone who was out at 4:30 am at around the corner of 11th street and College Avenue on June 3, 2011.

Even in such a small area, this case is like so many other missing persons cases. It seems like this case begins and ends at the corner of 11th and College Ave in Bloomington, IN on June 3, 2011 at 4:30 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018