KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

If they are talking about gangs, could this had been some sorta gang initiation?

So basically you would need to be a good marksman, but not necessarily a sniper.

Not necessarily. Shotguns shoot out and spread so from what I saw, they would've been at a just close enough trajectory for the pellets or whatever to not spread much. If what I heard is true, they struck mostly his face and neck area. It's not hard to fire a shotgun. I don't shoot guns very often or anything, but I've shot a shotgun a couple times and it wasn't difficult and I'm by no means a marksman lol.

Police Dog Figo Pays Lasts Respects To His Fallen Partner, Officer Jason Ellis (PHOTO)

Police Chief Rick McCubbin told the Associated Press that Figo and Ellis were "true partners." The police dog has been retired and will live with Ellis' family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/figo-jason-ellis_n_3367374.html

C1Q1Gb3.jpg

I am originally from Elizabethtown and pretty familiar with Bardstown. I was under the impression he was on his way home and there was debris in the road leading up the ramp and that when he got out of cruiser the shooter was at the top and shot him. So was it an accident that was called in with debris left over from the accident? Just curious.

I doubt it. The articles I have read seem to indicate that they are pretty sure the debris was specifically placed there to get Officer Ellis to stop so that he could be ambushed.

The thing that seems strange to me (as far as him being targeted) is this: just exactly how isolated is this exit? That the debris would not have impacted anyone else. And homw much time elapsed between the calling in of the 'wreck' on that ramp and the shooting - that no one else would have exited there between the call and his arrival?

I just don't get it.

I'm familiar with the area (was just driving by there 2 days ago) and may be able to describe a lot of the exits. They often have high natural stone walls where the ramp (and freeways) were cut into the rock. This would make it, effectively, a tunnel with no roof. The trees are usually pretty thick around the exits in this area, too. As far as traffic, there would likely be little to none at many times of the day and night.

The thing that seems strange to me (as far as him being targeted) is this: just exactly how isolated is this exit? That the debris would not have impacted anyone else. And homw much time elapsed between the calling in of the 'wreck' on that ramp and the shooting - that no one else would have exited there between the call and his arrival?

I just don't get it.

At the time of night, it's fairly isolated. That particular ramp exits to Bloomfield, which is a fairly small community. I had read somewhere that a driver had driven around the debris in the road before Ofc. Ellis came upon it. It's not a very wide ramp, it narrows after it curves. I posted some pics in an earlier post but ill post some again so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Personally, it's a pretty desolate and dark area that time of night and there's no way I'd get out of my car to move ANYTHING. However, I'm assuming that he almost probably felt obligated to move it as a civic duty so people wouldn't have to drive around it in an already pretty small space. I've heard diff reports as far as time elapsed between the first call and arrival so I can't say for sure how much time passed. However, it sounds as though it was at least 15 minutes. The report of an "accident" was actually the call for the shooting. I'm not sure why it was reported as an accident. From what I've heard, a woman in a car with her son, and a second guy were getting off of the exit when they saw the blue lights. After sitting for a few minutes, someone asked the other car if they knew what was going on. When they saw no movement ahead, one of them exited the vehicle and saw the officer laying in front of the patrol car. From there, they either made a call from their phone or his radio. I've heard two different account. They've kept a lot of information silent so I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm not sure what the "debris" was but I'm thinking its something they're not releasing bc it probably something specific that only someone with some kind of connection or inside information would know that would tip off the police as valid.

Here are pictures of the exit ramp. I would imagine they were either parked along side the hwy, or even at the top of the exit where you see the overpass. They could take back roads that are usually less travelled at night and make it to louisville in about an hour if they travelled through Spencer Co, where I live. Or they could just walk down the ramp back to their car and head down the hwy. I'm sure they never planned for it to take as long as it did for a response so surely they had a quick get away planned.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370330307.006705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370330324.490576.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370330342.472995.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370330357.724070.jpg

My initial impression is that this was personal, an ambush set up by someone who knew or was briefed as to his route he'd be taking. It perhaps doesn't need to be said, but I assume they are looking closely at his personal life, including, sadly, his family. I think this one may be solved close to home.

My initial impression is that this was personal, an ambush set up by someone who knew or was briefed as to his route he'd be taking. It perhaps doesn't need to be said, but I assume they are looking closely at his personal life, including, sadly, his family. I think this one may be solved close to home.

They're saying it was probably something work related and looking into his previous drug arrests. My first thought was maybe his wife was having an affair or visa versa. It looks as if they've been ruled out though. KSP put a notice out earlier today asking people who saw anyone cutting trees or limbs in the area, on the day around his murder to report it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370381936.745054.jpg

They're saying it was probably something work related and looking into his previous drug arrests. My first thought was maybe his wife was having an affair or visa versa. It looks as if they've been ruled out though. KSP put a notice out earlier today asking people who saw anyone cutting trees or limbs in the area, on the day around his murder to report it. View attachment 34668

tree trimming? hmmm, what is this about? Must have some lead, no?

ETA: Think I answered my on question. was the debris a big pile of tree trimmings? Must have been.

Is this the correct exit ramp of the shooting?
https://encrypted.google.com/search....299348&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=us&hl=en&sa=N&tab=lw

There is a house about 100 yards from the center of the ramp. Certainly they would have heard shotgun blasts.
Also, there is a lumber yard/saw mill on the other side of the interstate, which could be a source of non-local trees.

Yes, that's the ramp. I never noticed a house that close to the ramp. Just a large parking area at the top for people to park and carpool. It's usually vacant. To be honest, it's pretty country out here. When I moved to the neighboring county from Louisville, I would freak out when I heard people shooting clay pigeons. Now though, three years later, it's not that surprising. I would question it that late at night, if I even heard it.

tree trimming? hmmm, what is this about? Must have some lead, no?

ETA: Think I answered my on question. was the debris a big pile of tree trimmings? Must have been.

I'm assuming that's what it was. I kind of figured that's what it was from the beginning just because that'd be big enough to kind of obstruct the ramp. If it was fairly big, I wonder if maybe it was in the back of a truck or something...

Thank you so much jULIA_bEE for all of the local insight, it is very helpful!

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/region_northern_kentucky/gang-investigated-in-kiling-of-bardstown-police-officer-jason-ellis_8559526

Gang investigated in killing of Bardstown police officer Jason Ellis

Chaffins said most of the 40 troopers at the KSP Post in Elizabethtown are working the case along with all eight detectives. In addition, police have been assisted in their investigation by the FBI, Secret Service, Bardstown Police and the Nelson County sheriff's office.

He said detectives are following up on physical evidence, interviewing those who Ellis arrested and watching comments in social media forums.

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back