Major Snow Storm:Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works

I wished you did have a video of your wipeout! Wow amazing!

I remember once hubby, sister and I hit black ice on an on ramp to the highway. Spun around 360, still in the lane and ended up on the highway headed the right direction. We were all screaming...AAAhhhhhhhhhhhh until we stopped spinning. Then a collective Whew! I thought for sure we were going off the end of the ramp and into the ditch or get hit on the highway. Didn't hurt the car. Have not always been that lucky in bad weather though.

When it is happening it feels like you are on the Tilt A Whirl or something similar. DH was saying *car* *sign* *tree* lol, I KNOW he wishes he was driving. ;)

Black ice though is nothing to play with and we are both lucky that it wasn't worse.

BE SAFE everyone, no driving, stay home and bake or watch movies.

Black ice is very dangerous; I hit that one time driving on I-70 near Topeka, Kansas, I was doing about 35MPH. The car went left across 2 lanes, over the grass divider, over all the lanes on the other side, then back across the divider, did a 360, then back across the lanes, down an embankment and ended up on the on ramp. DH was freaking out and my first response was 'I wish I had a video of that'. Fortunately no one was injured but I still smile/cringe when I think about it. This was in daylight with very little accumulation on the road but the ice was there. BE CAREFUL on ice/black ice...the thing about black ice is you don't see it

One time driving on the interstate, we didn't even realize the roads had slippery spots until we saw three separate vehicles, one under each of three overpasses, spin out and do a 360 right there in the middle of the road. It was so weird, we saw one under the first, then another one under the next overpass, then another one under the next. Boom, boom, boom, three right in a row. After that, I was scared!

They just updated our storm warning and we're looking at 14"-17" in our area!!!

I wished you did have a video of your wipeout! Wow amazing!

I remember once hubby, sister and I hit black ice on an on ramp to the highway. Spun around 360, still in the lane and ended up on the highway headed the right direction. We were all screaming...AAAhhhhhhhhhhhh until we stopped spinning. Then a collective Whew! I thought for sure we were going off the end of the ramp and into the ditch or get hit on the highway. Didn't hurt the car. Have not always been that lucky in bad weather though.

That reminds me of that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where they spun out and were screaming until the stopped!! Had me cracking up!

That reminds me of that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where they spun out and were screaming until the stopped!! Had me cracking up!

Exactly what happened! :floorlaugh: Though not the elaborate roller coaster wipe out JacieEstes had!

14 to 17 inches of snow! Yikes! I wish you get more than one day off.

We could actually use that much snow we are still way too dry from the drought. It's just...why do you always get that much moisture at once? Why can't the snow be gently spread out over days? But noooo....it comes in a day or two. Like a white fluffy major dump.

Exactly what happened! :floorlaugh: Though not the elaborate roller coaster wipe out JacieEstes had!

14 to 17 inches of snow! Yikes! I wish you get more than one day off.

We could actually use that much snow we are still way too dry from the drought. It's just...why do you always get that much moisture at once? Why can't the snow be gently spread out over days? But noooo....it comes in a day or two. Like a white fluffy major dump.

:silly:

When it is happening it feels like you are on the Tilt A Whirl or something similar. DH was saying *car* *sign* *tree* lol, I KNOW he wishes he was driving. ;)

Black ice though is nothing to play with and we are both lucky that it wasn't worse.

BE SAFE everyone, no driving, stay home and bake or watch movies.

That happened to my husband one morning as he was leaving for work...our driveway is basically a hill, and because of its angle has to be backed down or the car's front end will scrape. Overnight our driveway had become one long stretch of ice, but because it was still dark, you couldn't see that. My husband slid all the way down, BACKWARDS, then did a 360 when he got to the bottom. I heard some screeching but didn't know it was him till I went outside and he told me I needed to get the driveway salted before I took the kids to school. So, so thankful it wasn't worse for him ~ I think I would have had to change my underwear if that had happened to me. I'll take snow over ice anytime, but for all of you in the main path of this storm, stay safe! I think at the most we may be looking at an inch or two over here.

67 schools in our area have already announced they are closed tomorrow and it hasn't even started snowing yet.

That happened to my husband one morning as he was leaving for work...our driveway is basically a hill, and because of its angle has to be backed down or the car's front end will scrape. Overnight our driveway had become one long stretch of ice, but because it was still dark, you couldn't see that. My husband slid all the way down, BACKWARDS, then did a 360 when he got to the bottom. I heard some screeching but didn't know it was him till I went outside and he told me I needed to get the driveway salted before I took the kids to school. So, so thankful it wasn't worse for him ~ I think I would have had to change my underwear if that had happened to me. I'll take snow over ice anytime, but for all of you in the main path of this storm, stay safe! I think at the most we may be looking at an inch or two over here.

I think we have the exact same driveway!! When it's slippery, I have to make sure no one is coming down the road before I back down because if my truck starts to slide, there's no stopping it!

We got about an inch of snow yesterday. When I got home from work, my husband had just shoveled and I got up the driveway no problem. About half an hour later, when my husband went out to meet someone who was dropping something off at our house, he almost did a face plant because the driveway had become a solid sheet of ice in that small amount of time. Fun!

67 schools in our area have already announced they are closed tomorrow and it hasn't even started snowing yet.

School officials know this is coming and what it entails, but yeah, this is the first time I've seen so many school closings announced so far in advance! It's probably because sustained 25-35 mph winds, with gusts to 45, are forecast to accompany the snow so even long before it reaches 18 inches it will be a big mess.

It is not so much up to 18 inches of snow that bothers me. It is the wind; blowing and drifting snow, whiteout conditions (zero visibility), not to mention potential property damage and power outages. Power outage means no heat as both my furnace and my oven have electronic ignition and many people these days have that. And of course space heaters are electric.

I wish it was over already.

School officials know this is coming and what it entails, but yeah, this is the first time I've seen so many school closings announced so far in advance! It's probably because sustained 25-35 mph winds, with gusts to 45, are forecast to accompany the snow so even long before it reaches 18 inches it will be a big mess.

It is not so much up to 18 inches of snow that bothers me. It is the wind; blowing and drifting snow, whiteout conditions (zero visibility), not to mention potential property damage and power outages. Power outage means no heat as both my furnace and my oven have electronic ignition and many people these days have that. And of course space heaters are electric.

I wish it was over already.

I know for sure the severe blowing and drifting is above all the scariest thing to drive in. It can make the roads impossible to see, create drifts within minutes, and turn snow into ice immediately. Very, very scary.

It is scary. Everyone it its path needs to take this storm seriously.

It hasn't even got here yet and I am already wondering when it is going to melt. The most important thing to me, after everyone's safety, is when is it going to melt? I'm already checking the 10 day for above freezing weather. ;)

ETA: My 10 yr old was reading this over my shoulder and just said, "You're sad mom, really, checking the 10 day forecast"? Kid's like snow, I don't so much.

It hasn't even got here yet and I am already wondering when it is going to melt. The most important thing to me, after everyone's safety, is when is it going to melt? I'm already checking the 10 day for above freezing weather. ;)

ETA: My 10 yr old was reading this over my shoulder and just said, "You're sad mom, really, checking the 10 day forecast"? Kid's like snow, I don't so much.

:floorlaugh: Have you banned him from the internet for the next 8 years?

Nah, not banning him from the internet. Need that for school these days. Would ban him from the xbox though. ;)

Only 3 days above freezing in the 10 day. Got to see the lovely (not!) single digits for lows for the first time this 'winter'. Yuck! I want another winter like last year! :tantrum: LOL!

Nah, not banning him from the internet. Need that for school these days. Would ban him from the xbox though. ;)

Only 3 days above freezing in the 10 day. Got to see the lovely (not!) single digits for lows for the first time this 'winter'. Yuck! I want another winter like last year! :tantrum: LOL!

We have a low of 6 tonight. I guess -0 doesn't happen too often where you are. The funny thing, we aren't getting any snow out of this system.

It's been snowing now for about two hours or so, really lightly. I guess I'm like a kid in that I want a big storm. The idea of being trapped at home with my family is comforting.

Now if my two dogs didn't want to go outside every 15 minutes, it would be heavenly.

I'm in NE Iowa and it's icky here. I got a call at 5 pm tonight that school was cancelled, it didn't start snowing till 6:30 LOL. We had some pretty awesome lightening though.. kids loved that, i think it's the first time they've seen it lightening and snow at the same time.

Hubby is hoping work is closed tomorrow since we're supposed to get 12 inches. I hope it is too, i hate when he has to drive so far in icky weather.

They cancelled University of WI campuses, can't remember the last time that happened. They also just shut down the city buses - now that is even more rare! All city offices closed. So they basically shut down the entire area, Madison (state capital) included. Amazing!

We probably have 5-6" on the ground so far. I tried attaching a picture but it won't let me on my iPad. :(

You're in Chicago, right? How is it there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back